Boehner's Favorite Smoke-Filled Room

His own party's club won't let him light up, so House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) has been sneaking over to the National Democratic Club to smoke. Ironic, and a tad scandalous -- considering Boehner sits on the board of the Capitol Hill Club, where Republican members of Congress do their boozing and schmoozing.

But the Capitol Hill Club, unlike the Democratic Club, never got an exemption to get around the District's new smoking ban. And Boehner and other members are no longer allowed to smoke in the House Speaker's Lobby, thanks to Nancy Pelosi's (D-Calif.) new rules. So what else is a Republican to do when he's jonesing for a smoke?

Boehner, who's hooked on Barclays, has popped into the Democratic Club -- a sad sack of a joint (compared to the tonier GOP club), which is frequented by union lobbyists -- on several occasions. Most recently on Wednesday night, when he was puffing and chatting with Democratic Reps. Allen Boyd (Fla.), Dennis Cardoza (Calif.) and Jim Costa (Calif.).

The minority leader was a such a hit that one of Boyd's constituents who was in the club grabbed a menu and asked Boehner to sign it. Boyd told the Sleuth that "while I worry about Mr. Boehner's health, I'm always a fan of Democrats and Republicans being in the same room, even if it has to be a smoky one." And he joked: "A Dem Club menu with the Minority Leader's signature...now that's probably rare enough to be really worth something!"

Lobbyist Tom Jolly, a longtime Democratic Club member, predicted that Boehner would become a fixture at the club since the minority leader can't smoke among his own. "I am one member who is delighted to have him as our guest," Jolly said, recalling how back in the day, in the '70s and '80s, GOP Reps. Ed Derwinski of Illinois and Steve Symms of Idaho were frequent Democratic Club interlopers.

"Democrats and Republicans who drink together after work get along a lot better than those who don't!" says Jolly.

Boehner spokesman Brian Kennedy didn't want to divulge too much about his boss's visits to the labor boss's hangout other than to say: "I don't think it was the first time the Leader visited friends at The Democratic club, but getting an autograph request in there is probably a first."

Republicans, meanwhile, are grumbling about the Democratic Club's ability to get the exemption, considering that in order to qualify a restaurant must make at least 10 percent of its profits from tobacco sales.

"We're baffled they qualified," a curious member of the Capitol Hill Club's board told the Sleuth.

By Mary Ann Akers  |  March 9, 2007; 4:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lieberman and Swiftie Donor, Bound by Admiration.... and Money
Next: Dr. Ensign Treats the Elephant in the Room

Comments

overthrow this congress. The smoking ban is yet another rule that applies to everyone except them.

Posted by: sean | March 9, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh my God I got a Boehner!!

Posted by: Jeb's Boehner | March 9, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Last I checked, smoking cigarettes, while now a restricted activity, is nonetheless a legal one. I find it ironic that the representatives of the "nanny state" would allow smoking in their club.

Posted by: Richard | March 9, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dan | March 9, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Considering the tax rates, they may well be getting 10% of their funds from cigarette sales...

Posted by: Max Frost | March 9, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Bans and prohibitions create black markets and crime. Too bad no one ever learns and we the sheeple continue elect jugheads that try to legislate insane morality that throws feces on liberty.

Posted by: Joe | March 9, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Dan said - "I love it. We dems are enjoying our power. Sorry republican buddies, you have us hell for 10 years. Now you pay.

I am all for the sides coming together and drinking. Bi-partisanship doesn't happen enough."

You talk of Bi-partisanship and the sentence before you say "Now you pay. If by hell you mean a growing economy, low unenployment (4.5 percent as of today) and a narowing trade defecet, then send me stright to hell. It beats raising my taxes.

Posted by: Pat | March 9, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Republicans have no more tobacco lobby? Now that's news indeed...

Posted by: amsterdandi | March 9, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Now all we need for total bipartisanship is for Newt Gingrich and Rudy Giuliani to start bopping Democratic gals.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 9, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Dems were the ones against restaraunts and bars having smoking... heh.

Posted by: Jersey Dave | March 9, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Richard!

Last I heard, all those so-called Red States are on the dole to the Federal Government to keep them in business, while all the "Blue" state produce everything and pay all the taxes to keep their "Red" States afloat.

So if by "nanny" state, you mean big, rich, more educated states taking care of small, undereducated, under-producing, government subsidized states I guess you're right on the money.

Posted by: GB | March 9, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Using bipartisanship and democrats in the same sentence is incongruant.

Posted by: Richard | March 9, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I like to smoke cigarettes in my apartment

Posted by: Richard | March 9, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey, GB!

Those Blue States that produce everything and pay all the taxes have "red areas" that are the one's who produce everything and pay all the taxes. Red states also give the most to charity. The blue in blue states are just dependent city folk who need the government for everything.

Posted by: David | March 9, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I love the irony! Firstly let me say that smoking & smokers should be left alone to indulge in their habit. Secondly, I agree that when Democrats & Republicans can tie one one together they are more likely to get along & get more done that actually benefits the American people. Thirdly, The irony that Boener can only smoke among the party that wants to establish the Nanny State for "our own good" is not lost on me....this is priceless!

Posted by: John | March 9, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Not a problem...you blue states can keep your money, and our red states will keep their food crops. We'll see who lives longer.

Posted by: Sliver | March 9, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

David, you don't know what you're talking about. The "red" areas in states like CA and NY, don't produce a fraction of what the "dependant city folk" produce. The technology, finance, and media sectors alone generate vastly greater amounts of revenue than any farmer or factory owner ever will. These industries also pay billions of $ in taxes every year. While the manufacturing and agricultural sectors get government handouts to stay in business. Get your facts straight before you make an ass out of yourself.

Posted by: GB | March 9, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

GB, do you really think it is the dems that are producing all the corporate profits that are taxed, and income that is taxed? Do you not think a blue city is top heavy red and blue heavy bottom? So dems actually get to complaint about corporate fat cats.....then take credit for creating the federal revenue. Do you guys not even see when your positions don't match? Or do you even care?

Posted by: RP | March 9, 2007 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Silver,

Go ahead and keep our food crops. Luckily you won't have to drive your product to market because you won't be able to afford any infrastructure (like roads, for instance). Oh, and have fun without any functioning electrical grid, post office, police force, etc. Because if it wasn't for government handouts of $ that us "city folk" provide in the form of taxes, your state would be out of business.

Posted by: GB | March 9, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Please re-phrase in English with proper grammer so that I may be enlightened. Thanks.

Posted by: RP | March 9, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Hold on a sec, since when did members of Congress become humans first and politicians third? (Smokers logging in at second, of course.) Perhaps I'm too used to my adopted European turf, where the party affiliations drop away more often than not after work hours - and rightly so. If smoking is what it takes to cinch the beltway gap, baby let's light their fires!

And here I was thinking constituencies are not well represented by the bitter, juvenile put-downs between elected officials. After reading some of your 'bi-partisan' comments (supposedly about this editorial, alas not), I think our Congress is spot-on and simply mirroring the citizen majority's 'he said/she said' playground mentality. It's the weekend; take a breath and a big step back - or better yet, a cigarette break.

Don't you know the difference between bull's eye and bulls**?
--from a recovering Texan, voter, smoker and Europe-dweller by choice and demand (yes, if I feel this way, I will gladly stay on this level-headed continent)

p.s. thanks john for reeling it back in on topic

Posted by: amsterdandi | March 9, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Another post by GB. Do you also think that productivity of a state is based on federal revenue? Do you not realize that federal revenue is but a fraction of the private sector. What is this strange pride in blue states. And again, I would argue that blue states are, of course, not totally blue. And as taxes are paid by basically the upper 30% of income earners, how much of that 30% do you really think is blue? So basically, it is the red folks of your blue states that are the producers. And of course it could be population density, not type of product, that is dictating the states that produce more federal revenue, but that would not fit with your go-blue-team-go attitude on the country.

Posted by: RP | March 9, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

RP,

So you'll admit the coasts foot the bill for the fly-over. Thank you.

Posted by: GB | March 9, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Let's have a civil war? Red vs Blue
The Red will have guns and the Blue will have suicide bombers. Should be a formidable battle.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 9, 2007 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I would love that. Somebody should just go ahead and bulldoze the entire middle of the country.

Posted by: GB | March 9, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Remember RP, when a wise man is arguing with a fool, it's hard to tell wich is wich.

Dont waste your time...his world is small, and he intends to keep it that way.

Posted by: BlueStateTom | March 9, 2007 7:12 PM | Report abuse

What a trivial, absurd topic. Doesn't the Washington Post have anything more important to do?

Posted by: Patrick Curry | March 9, 2007 7:13 PM | Report abuse

GB, you must be a teenager. You're so sure you know something that isn't so. It's amusing.
Some of what you are failing to grasp has already been explained, but consider this. If the red and blue states split(never happen), most of your "blue" producers will immediately move to a red state, as the red states would certainly be more business-friendly. What would be left in your blue states would be lines of people waiting for their government checks.

Posted by: Brian | March 9, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey thanks GB, thanks for making my house payment and buying my groceries !

Posted by: Rob the Red Stater | March 9, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

No way does the Democrat Club make 10% of its profits from tobacco sales. They obviously got the exemption illegally -- because Washington is run by Democrats.

An investigative reporter should have little trouble confirming my that my speculation is spot on. Does such a beast still exist?

Posted by: v | March 9, 2007 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh for pete's sake! Ask someone who lives in (blue) New York.

Truth is New York DOES PRODUCE; but most of it ISN'T MONEY!!!! What money they do get goes to handout after handout to support fat, lazy, generational "reproducers", and the rest goes to line the pockets of corrupt lying politicians! And let's not forget about our outrageous taxes and drugs.

Try being one of the New Yorkers who works..Your money is SUCKED out of your pocket before you can get it home. New York is run by a powerful underground of "Demon"crats.

That's why the WORKING New Yorker can't even manage to save enough money to get out. The WORKING NEW YORKER needs all the help they can get from the red states.

THANK YOU RED states for your help.

Posted by: LJ | March 9, 2007 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Name-calling. Typical debate style of the Right (who, ironically, seem to be so wrong about almost everything). Unlike many of you, I'm not making a value judgement on "Red" states vs "Blue" states. I was obviously being facetious when I said "bulldoze the flyover".

My point is simply that it's disingenuous to call a Democratic represented state a "nanny" state. The fact of the matter is, most Federal Tax Revenue is generated by these so-called "nanny" states. This Federal $ is then re-appropriated to the smaller, less productive states. Many of these States would be bankrupt if it wasn't for government subsidies. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the the way it is. It's the price we pay for being in a Union and it's not a bad thing.

Additionally, I went on to make a joke about the term "nanny" by saying that the Blue States are acting as nannies to the Red States.

And when I say Red State and Blue State, I realize there is a mix of many political viewpoints within every state. I'm not referring to individuals, merely the State in which they live and it's general Red or Blue status.

Besides, what the hell does any of this have to do with the oh so hard-hitting story of Boehner sneaking into the Dem Club to have smoke?

Posted by: GB | March 9, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome, Rob! Glad I could help.

Posted by: GB | March 9, 2007 7:53 PM | Report abuse

"Smoke'em if you got'em!"

Posted by: hack winston | March 9, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter if blue states "produce" the most money. If this was the case it's because of low taxes and probusiness incentives...which are "red" ideas. Do you think most businessmen are democrats? Pro business and low taxes = more money for everyone...including the government

Posted by: DRhee | March 9, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

no way tobacco is the only thing they're smoking....but hey, I'm sure they do it like their savior, Slick Willy, and make sure not to inhale.

Posted by: redbluewhocares | March 9, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey GB

How can you say that you are not making value judgements about red staters when you refered to them as "undereducated". Typical leftist argument, lecture someone about namecalling and yet makes there own hypocrytical generalizations and stereotypes (without any sort of facts might I add). Why dont you go to inner cities in blue states to find failing educational systems!

Posted by: want to be in red state | March 9, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse

FYI Spelling on Symnns

Posted by: Idaho Mike | March 9, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

If the choice is spending time with a midwest dairy farmer or a New York bond trader, I'd rather take my chances with the farmer. He probably wouldn't try to do my wife while picking my pocket.

Posted by: Richard | March 9, 2007 8:42 PM | Report abuse

moo, baaa

Posted by: pandora | March 9, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Boehner. Gleam-Eyed Boehner. Bestride the mountain of power longer than the others, but, so what, hey, there they are, together, mountaineers. Admittedly, it is a COMPOST mountain, but nevertheless it is a mountain, their mountain, and they own it, if anybody does.

Take a puff. It's Springtime.

Posted by: HorizonScanner | March 9, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

It looks to me like both sides are winning the name calling, insulting, and arrogance awards in a large chunk of this thread.

The idea that "red" states only produce food and get all of the subsidies (or none, depending) and the idea the the "blue" states only produce goods and money seems rather ignorant to me.

The states are for more diverse than that. And subsidies go across the board. I personally don't see much of a difference between the Dems and the Reps from the viewpoint that they're both constantly trying to legislate how I run my life. And they both portray themselves as being the opposite of that. Ultimately I don't trust either one of them, although I'm currently pretty damned sick of the level of venom coming from the left. However, I recall it being just as bad from the right during the Clinton years...

Posted by: NameCalling | March 9, 2007 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I just love election time...McCain will say and suck up to anyone to get votes and to have people like him...Edwards, is a total idiot! He can't even handle his own staff, do you honestly think that he would be any good under extreme situations, Iran with Nukes, or North Korea? And my favorite line from him so far was when he said Jesus would be appalled by America(Then he turned and went into his Hotel,oh wait his house)I like Obama, I like Clinton. There is just no way anyone will be us this time around...

Posted by: Belial666 | March 9, 2007 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I really must educate GB about the term "nanny state". It doesn't refer to a specific state or a specific geographic location or group of states. It refers to a federal government where the majority of the population begins to depend on it to provide not only for there financial welfare in some way, but their view that personal choices such as where and when a person can smoke a cigarette and where they can eat trans fats and any multitude of other personal choices can be best made by government beauracrats.

To make this a red state/blue state issue is just silly. I'm not calling you silly, I'm just poking fun at your point of view on this matter.

Posted by: Richard | March 9, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

re: anti-smoking policies.
one of the most universal programs to prohibit smoking in public and government buildings,was not initiated by the left liberals in the u.s. but by the "left full government controll freaks" of nazi germany in c1933-1945,and of course all the same arguments about the reduction of cancer cases etc. were cited. It makes you think dose'nt it?

Posted by: george | March 9, 2007 9:54 PM | Report abuse

look at my name.

Posted by: penis | March 9, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

And where does he go when he wants to snort coke and do hookers?

Posted by: Mr Magoo | March 9, 2007 10:11 PM | Report abuse

"look at my name."

....that might well be the most intelligent thing I've read throughout these posts.

Posted by: iron_man | March 9, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like being exempt from the rules.

Personally, I hope they all get cancer from it. Democrats, and republicans.

It just makes my blood boil that they can just exempt themselves from the rules that everybody else has to follow.

They have the best healthcare, that we fund, and don't have, vote themselves raises (or have to vote to NOT get one). It's endless.

They have no idea what it's like to live in America any more. They think they're above it all. They're so out of touch.

And I hate it so much.

Posted by: George Johnson | March 9, 2007 10:37 PM | Report abuse

You suck, Penis.

Posted by: Llamahrdr | March 9, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

It is funny how a simple article on a Republican visiting the Dems resulted in name calling and a call for a civil war of red vs blue. We all claim to be sick of political mud-slinging, yet our first response is to do the exact same thing. I guess we never progressed much farther than the 3rd grade. Grow up and debate with logic, not insults.

Posted by: CDC | March 9, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for running this story. I have been staying home to drink since the smoking ban started, now I know I can smoke at the NDC, so I'm going to join up tomorrow so once again, I can smoke and drink at the same time in public. Up yours, Mayor Fenty and the Nonsmoking Fascist Brigade!

Posted by: Barclay | March 9, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry for being me.

Posted by: nancy pelosi | March 9, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Why, Magoo - the Clinton library, of course!

Posted by: beez | March 9, 2007 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Red State - Blue State
The liberals wouldn't even allow that to stand as correct. Red has traditionally stood for the left as in Commie-pinko. Could it be that they are not real proud of what they are doing or they would be waving that red flag. This is the type of real blue smoke Boehner will get and on which we,in fly over country,are choking.

Posted by: True Blue | March 9, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

I hate smoking, though I have the occasional cigar at times.
As much as I hate the Cig. smoke, I am starting to hate the anti Cig. people more.
I think I liked our leaders more when they drank more and smoked. What a wimpy society we have become. I think I may take up Cigs at age 45, what the heck. I will be 95 before I have to worry about lung cancer, right!

Posted by: TG Special | March 10, 2007 12:11 AM | Report abuse

I met Boehner in the 1990s, and he smoked like a chimney then. John, quit, before ya keel over.

Posted by: Cuthie | March 10, 2007 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I came here expecting to see a lot of funny comments on the irony of this news item, and what do I find? Right and left wing wack jobs taking their war to the internet once again. Don't you people have lives? Just once, ONCE, I'd like to arrange for you all to meet in a dark alley with lethal weapons. Maybe then the rest of us could come out here without being assaulted by the rantings of idiotic extremist political automatons. You people suck. I'm going out for a smoke. While I still can.

Posted by: JohnnyT | March 10, 2007 12:20 AM | Report abuse

look at my name

Posted by: cock | March 10, 2007 12:27 AM | Report abuse

The real poin is that we all seem to be ignorant of reality. There is something bigger than all of us. Yes, I speak of our Creator. I dare to say we did not create ourselves and we should look to God for guidance. There is no greater force than God's Love. Say what you want, that should be our starting point with all these discussions about politics in this great country.

Posted by: Immegrant | March 10, 2007 12:39 AM | Report abuse

www.myspace.com/joblessbob

Posted by: Jobless Bob | March 10, 2007 12:47 AM | Report abuse

I like to eat kittens when I smoke cigarettes.

Posted by: Ed Finklestein | March 10, 2007 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Ed, you're a poo-poo head!

Posted by: Burger King | March 10, 2007 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Leave it to some ninny to complain about smoking. Personally, where smoking is prohibited I try to expell as much gas as humanly possible.

Posted by: Scott | March 10, 2007 1:27 AM | Report abuse

I would rather keep my money at home, and use it for the betterment of my family, not taken by the "wise" federal government to be given to the "underprivilaged". I would much rather see a consumption tax, such as HR-25 (http://www.fairtax.org) that would tax spending, not income.

The only reason that the Democrats are back in power is that they seek to buy votes, by offering huge handouts to the lower class, by working to remove as many Americans as they can from the tax rolls, and by raising taxes on those that actually earn the money in the country.

Remember, the top 1% or wage earners in this country pay 40% of the taxes, and the top 5% pay around 90%. How about tax cuts to those that actually earn the money? Works every time it's tried.

Posted by: Lothar | March 10, 2007 2:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm Newt Gingrich & Karl Rove's butt love child.

Posted by: PantyWaste | March 10, 2007 3:06 AM | Report abuse

We talk about Red/Blue states having this great divide. America is not at all a polarized nation, in fact most Americans (like myself )are very close to the center.

Think of the Red and Blue states like the Yin and Yan of Chinese medicine, when they are in balance you have good health.

Posted by: Mechanic | March 10, 2007 3:50 AM | Report abuse

democrats are idiots, they believe in welfare programs which means the poor stay poor because there is no point for them to try in school because they could get free money/food and the money we earn that we worked for all through school, the 2o+ years is given to the people that dont try, you also don't want war, we are hated by many right now and us getting hit by terrorists has a higher probability and you want to decrease our army spening haha you guys are fools

Posted by: Jake | March 10, 2007 3:59 AM | Report abuse

Civil war between the Red and Blue? Blue will have all the stock certificates, merger documents and business contracts. Red will have all the food and the guns. Hmmm... I'm good with that. How about you folks?

Posted by: Robert | March 10, 2007 4:05 AM | Report abuse

MAA: THIMMESCH here! Yes, it is a bit early in the morning (4:20 to be exact: what a coincidence) but nonetheless proud that AKERS! ran this blurb: The Washington Compost is getting its money's worth with you, darling! Well done: Roll Call, eat your heart out!

Love: THIMMESCH!

Posted by: nick.thimmesch@earthlink.net | March 10, 2007 4:23 AM | Report abuse

look at my name!!

Want one?

Posted by: hot karl | March 10, 2007 4:48 AM | Report abuse

I love working 4 to 5 months a year to help pay lazy asses to sit on their asses and do nothing. Ah socialism isn't it great. Thanks Dems brialliant sociilist ideas it works for everyone.

Posted by: real red | March 10, 2007 4:51 AM | Report abuse

just more liberal hypocrisy, they want to ban smoking everywhere but where they go.

Go Dems, you duh SURRENDER PARTY. GET US OUT OF IRAQ.

Posted by: M algore | March 10, 2007 5:54 AM | Report abuse

I am sitting here at my desk in Alaska.
Just got done eating a Caribou sausage, on homemade bread. (yes, I shot it, and processed it)
While reading these whining comments. I have a cigarette burning in the ashtray, and a strong pot of java brewing on the wood stove.(not Starbucks)
It is -36 deg. F out side, as I type this. But, I know that I have a big wood pile that I cut, split and stacked.
I glance around the cabin that my wife and kids, built ourselves years ago. Over my desk is a copy of the Constitution of the United States of America, a Cross, and a picture of my wife. I see the pictures of the kids, and Grandkids on the walls. The honorable discharges and military awards, by the gun cabinet, and foot locker.(from a war fought far away) The LEO certifications and shooting trophy's, in the far corner, by the reloading bench. The dogs curled up on the rug covered floor. The cat on the couch, next to the quilt.(that my wife made)

I see a life's achievements, the touch of a wonderful loving wife, and the Grace of God.

I know in my heart, that we are a dying breed.

We raised up two girls, and one boy.
They grew up to be hard working, drug free. and self sufficient. They are now all happily married, and parents themselves.

NOT ONCE, did ANY family member get public ASSistance, nor welfare.

We believe in the following:

God
King James Bible
Family values
The Constitution Of The United States

As a old fart.
I find some of the comments made here appalling.

This country USED to be.
"RED WHITE and BLUE"

A man WITH a gun is a CITIZEN
A man WITHOUT gun is a SUBJECT

BTW: As a Conservative American, I am lighting up another cigarette!

Out here. NO Liberal panty waist, is going to TELL me that I cant smoke.

The ONLY ones who have the authority to tell me what to do.

Is God, and my wife.

Take care, be safe.
God Bless.
Chris - Alaska

Posted by: Grizzly | March 10, 2007 6:20 AM | Report abuse

I think a lot of you guys are missing the point here. This article is meant as a bit of light humour. Rest your polemics for another space.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 10, 2007 6:22 AM | Report abuse

God Bless you Grizzly! The rest of you need to lighten up!

Posted by: chris | March 10, 2007 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Can't anyone in this group spell anything correctly?

Posted by: susankit | March 10, 2007 6:58 AM | Report abuse

golly, how much does a hot shot sleuth like Mary Ann get for coming up with her sLight humor?

Posted by: Sandy | March 10, 2007 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Good Lord folks.....the story was about a gut wanting a smoke. The only real question is, did he smoke ciggerettes or did he have enough class to smoke a decent cigar? Jeez, does everything have to start a uncivil war?

Posted by: tomasco50 | March 10, 2007 8:44 AM | Report abuse

The Constitution gives Congress the exclusive right to legislate over the District of Columbia. What is the source of the power of the District of Columbia to regulate where members of Congress smoke -- or do anything else, for that matter.

The District of Columbia is not a State; it is the seat of the government of the United States and nothing more. This is not a recent change; I doubt if there are very many people living there now who were alive when the Constitutional status was established, so anyone who is there now is there with the full knowledge of the status of the District. If they are unhappy with that status, they are free to move elsewhere.

Posted by: lgp | March 10, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Democrats, under Pelosi's poison-regs would have us Americans give up our less than perfect lifestyles, while allowing their own imperfections excused, legislated and indulgenced. Very much like Al Gore's indulgence to squander natural energy in his lavish lifestyle while asking us to cut back on everything. Typical, typical typical of Democratic double standards

Posted by: Bob Kord | March 10, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

right on Grizzly!!!

Posted by: xo | March 10, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

This is just typical of people in power. They feel all wonderful about "smoke free workplaces" but when they realize that means they can't have a smoke with their after-work drink, then they try to carve out exemptions for themselves.

The rest of us have to live under the continuing oppression. And I'm not just talking about smoking laws. I'm a non-smoker

Posted by: Jason | March 10, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

"I love working 4 to 5 months a year to help pay lazy asses to sit on their asses and do nothing. Ah socialism isn't it great."

Well I certainly see who's more intelligent. You slave away 60+ hours a week at a desk, while they sit on the front porch of their free government housing and light up. They have all the free time for friends, family, and fornication while you barely get a week or two a year where you have to take care of home maintenance, sick kids, and major holiday preparations. You get sensitivity training and learn never to approach a woman for fear of harrassment charges, they're out living your wildest fantasies and breeding like rabbits. Your bitter that you've been outsmarted and outvoted but your greed and pride just won't let go. You've been shackled like a beast of burden to pull the sled upon which they ride...and still you think you're the smart one!

Posted by: Bling | March 10, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Red-blue, black-white, male-female, gay-straight... where does it end? You all exemplify what is so very wrong with this simple minded and divided country. We look like fools and for good reason. There's so much more to the world than our petty bickering. Over-population, disease, pollution, crime, education, conservation, energy... we are failing miserably. Remember what happened to Rome? We too shall fall. Maybe we already have.

Posted by: PJK | March 10, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

"But I'm probably being a little too nuanced for some of you "simpler" folks, so I'll sign off."

Simpler isn't stupid, GB. Although I can see where it might appear that way to you when you consider the fact that those "simpler folks" are out working while you're sitting at home posting on a blog.

Posted by: semkins | March 10, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

What do you call a fish with no eyes?

Fsshhh!

Posted by: Denial Frist | March 10, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

You Liberals out there are some of the meanist most class conscience nasty people I have ever met. Are you ever happy? It has to be hard being so miserable every day. Get a hobbie

Posted by: CW | March 10, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Re: Nanny State

Agriculture Subsidies -->
Red States: $16,011,054,570 (2005)
Blue States: $5,045,815,790 (2005)

Posted by: Al | March 10, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

These are the same SOB's who want to stop YOU from smoking anywhere, but these self righteous pieces of offal have the audacity to PUT IT RIGHT IN YOUR FACE that THEY CAN SMOKE. You have to stand in the cold, BECAUSE you are not important. The whole point is put in your face every day on a thousand levels. WAKE UP!

Posted by: John | March 10, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

To Mr. Magoo, I'm sure that he goes to the same Democratic club since they offer everything ask Ted, Bill or Berry. I'm sure they still offer those special cigars' I wonder if the king of the Nazis Mr waxman who even looks like Hitler frequents this club. I can't believe you offered such a opening.

Posted by: Joe | March 10, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what the blue/red divide would look like without New York and California. Financial statistics, elections - everything would be different. The blue states are nothing without those two giants.

We need to realize if there was more (any) truth in the world of politics, we wouldn't be in need of Fox News to defend conservatives, and every other media outlet defending the liberals. We need to realize that if we want true change in the way this country operates, one simple decision will help us get there: no more career politicians! Impose term limits on Congress!

Problem is... Congress would have to vote that into law. Pigs will fly first.

Posted by: Johnny D | March 10, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Hey,

I just wanted to let you know that PardonLibby.org is for sale on eBay. The auction is here:

Posted by: Josh | March 10, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Typical hypocrites - liberals.

Posted by: Susan | March 10, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Nice hard hitting piece of......Good to know someone makes money doing nothing other than both sides of Congress & The House.

Hey Mary Ann take the rest of the day off, your brain must be killing you today.

Posted by: Angry Voter | March 10, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

GB

Nanny States, denotes what the people think the color of their blood is.

Posted by: Missouri | March 10, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Re: the red/blue debate....
Take a look at the country broken out by county and you will find it mostly red. The blue factor appears mainly in the urban regions.
The cities are major business areas (leaning to red) but the population is usually lower income and dependant(read blue).
So you usually wind up with the tail wagging the dog when you look at just the states "color"

Posted by: upstate ny'er | March 10, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Al...we don't have time for statistics.

Posted by: lockedandloaded | March 10, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Grizzly, I agree with you for the most part, and I envy your lifestyle. It sounds peaceful and fulfilling.

It seems to me that the young "know nothings" have taken over the comment posting. They rant and rave and call each other names and are way off the topic in the article.

Red Blue Schmoo. Each state in the country produces differently. If the agriculture subsidies are higher in the red states, it's because the red states have more agriculture to subsidize.

The country should continue to be red, white, and blue. It sounds as if some of the posters want to start another Civil War.

We all know that liberals, for the most part, live in fantasy land. So lighten up on the amusing articles and post your rages somewhere else.

Posted by: tnmccoy | March 10, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

10% in tobacco sales?
'Do as I say' hypocrites are at it again. How much more special treatment are they going to vote for themselves?

Posted by: junctionmn | March 10, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

You know something, the liberals are nothing more than dumb socialists.They will never learn that capitalism means prosperity and freedom of choice. Today you can't smoke a cigarrete where you want to. Tomorrow they will tell us what food we can or can't eat.Next month they will be dressing us from head to toe. Where does the insanity end? Remember the nazis, well they were the Socialist party of Germany, yeah, socialist.

Posted by: tired of libs | March 10, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Bullseye!! Grizzly. Well written, we need more people like you. I start to build my Ark, in case...No Democrats allowed.

Posted by: dearme | March 10, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Actually Johnny D, If just Cali is taken out of the equation then its pretty much equal in terms of gross product.

But as far as the who subsidizes whom meme goes, here are the top 10 Percent of Households With Cash Public Assistance Income by state.

#1 Alaska: 6.9 %
#2 Maine: 4.9 %
#3 DC 4.8 %
#4 Hawaii: 4 %
#5 Rhode Island: 4 %
#6 New York: 3.6 %
#7 California: 3.5 %
#8 Minnesota: 3.4 %
#9 Washington: 3.3 %
#10 Nebraska: 3.3 %

Hey lookie, a red state made it in there at the end.

Posted by: wlpeak | March 10, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I can tell neither party cares one bit for people. Dems need to add all the cancer causing agents. Very long list-soap,perfume, plastics and much more. Oh I forgot they just want to dictate not help anyone. Sounds about right.
Anarchy is the name of both parties.

Posted by: De | March 10, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

The only way I have been able to tell the difference between the Donkey's (jackass) and Elephants be be described this way.

Donkey's want to do everything for people with everyone else's money. Elephants do things for people but don't want anyone to know.

Posted by: Missouri | March 10, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

The irony is that if the circumstances were reversed, it would have been a front page scandal in the WAPO on how the Republicans were "Bending the law" to reward themselves with the perks of power.
Is it no wonder people are cynical.

Posted by: HeadScrewedOnRight | March 10, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll all get cancer, retire and we'll hopefully get new members who are more health concious. Also just another example of how Congress does not follow rules set for the rest of us.

Posted by: David | March 10, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I wish they were protesting anti-smoking legislation instead of just using their position to flout the law.

Posted by: Tvaya Mama | March 10, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I am more amazed how the club stays open. It is almost always empty.

Posted by: George | March 10, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I have allways found dem gals easier to bop as you put it. Just like the men they are ready to bend over and take any time

Posted by: Stud | March 10, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Let me see if I got this right; the Dem's howl and raise hell about cigarettes and want to tax the manufacturers to the limit, and then they arrange a waiver for themselves to permit smoking in an otherwise no smoking neighborhood. Oh, okay, that right. This is the same crowd that says it is for the poor; raises taxes on everything, stuffs money in their pockets and buggers the poor. Smoke that Darkey and be happy to call yourself a dumbass DemocRat.

Posted by: James Atkinson | March 10, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

If poor dirt farmers like myself did not grow our crops you would all starve to death. None of you big rich well educated city slickers would know how to grow enough food to survive. Me and my undereducated family will always have plenty to eat. In other words what I am trying to say is this....none of this crap you are talking means nothing if you do not have food to put in your mouth, and who supplies this food. Well you can bet it is not the big high tech rich cats who live in the big fancy building in your big cities. The day the so called "simpler folks" like myself quit growing your food will be the day you to will decide this foolishness you are all talking about means nothing at all. It will be back to days of basic living, work, grow food and hunt, and prayer.....not worring about RED/BLUE states and who produces what. It will all be about providing for ones self and his family. The other BS about politics, goverment programs, smoking bans, lesbian and gay right, abortion, and greenhouse gases will all be the last thing being talked about. Simply put why waste your time talking about BS you can do nothing about. Why not try helping the widow woman down the street, a young kid who needs a friend, or maybe just doing something to help those who may not have it as good in life as you. Life is short, do something good with what is left of yours, I know I will.....I will work everyday to help feed the people of this great nation for I am just "a poor dirt farmer" from the middle of Amercia.

Posted by: Just A Poor Dirt Farmer | March 10, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Okay, here are my thoughts. If we all started standing up for this country like we do our parties maybe something would get done. We are so into winning that we forget this isn't a game!! The future of this country is in OUR hands and all we care about is who won. We have to stop this and start working together, not for our party, but for OUR country. Neither side will give the other credit for any good thought, if it doesn't come from their party it isn't good. Both sides are guilty of doing what ever it takes to get one up on the other, this is sick. This crap has to stop!! I love this country and I'm getting pretty sick of people playing games with it's future. It is called the UNITED STATES not the red and blue states. There will always be differences but maybe someday someone will see that the other side just might have good idea and admit it.

Posted by: real | March 10, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Gingrich/ Santorum '08

Posted by: Red, Black & Gold | March 10, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

When President Obama takes over,He will be smokin in the White House

Posted by: Smokin Joe | March 10, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

You can't smoke in your club but we can!
You have to conserve energy to save the planet, but I want a big jet to fly around in! I represent the working man - but he can't join my exclusive and expensive golf club! I support the troops - but won't give them the go ahead to kill our enemies or buy them necessary equipment. I'll demean the conservatives that claim to be Christian, yet show up to campaign at churches! I'll claim to be against illegal immigrants, yet hire them to work for me!

I represent the liberals - do as I say - not as I do - and don't have to worry because the mainstream media will cover my butt and not say anything while they're scrambling around trying to screw over any conservative/republican they can, all the while claiming to be fair and unbiased in their so-called "reporting" of the news.

Work harder you fools so I can take those dollars away from you and buy votes with them to keep me in power!

Posted by: Nancy Pelosi | March 10, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Dan said - "I love it. We dems are enjoying our power. Sorry republican buddies, you have us hell for 10 years."

Well I guess we (Republicans) still owe you 30+ more years of getting "even" to ballance the Demacrap control of the prior 50 years of Liberal Socialist control.

I look forward to returning to our takeover in 2008, and your welcome of our bailing you guys out of the poor shape you put this contry in.

Posted by: Jersey Jeff | March 10, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Socialist elites always exempt themselves from the laws they write to restrict our freedoms. That's why they were driven from power in 1994 and why the first law enacted by the 1995 Republican majority was to mandate that all subsequent laws would cover Congress as well as the great unwashed.

It's utterly unsurprising that the Democrats have reverted to their normal way of exempting themselves now that they have control of Congress.

How about it Lieberman? When will you finally see these hypocrites for what they are?

Posted by: Eagle in NYC | March 10, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I live in a "Blue State" and while I love Pittsburgh, PA because I was raised here,
there is know doubt the red states would kick the life out of the blue states. See the Red
Counties of the Blue States would join the Red States and then all that would be left would be the union run police in the big cities to protect the liberal hippies and welfare takers who hate guns and probably couldn't survive once the
Red's cut there power. It would be the quickest civil war the world has ever seen!
Think if it happened today who would lead the Blue States? Pelosi, Edwards, Obama, Gore? VS. G.W. Don't forget liberals, GW got more votes than any President in history, and the ones he didn't get are, well, you. Birkenstock wearing, pot smoking, never hunting cause animals are soooo precious, volvo honda driving, draft dodging, protesting for anything you can think of, income stealing, socialist, hypocrites. Ya
I am name calling like you don't, let me guess, redneck, simple,neocon, evil conservative Nazi, warmonger.... But no I am a 24yo,city boy, waiter, trying to get through college, which is not easy when the city takes a third of your money, for what I don't know 'cause the roads suck the schools suck the Penguins are leaving , oh, maybe to bribe the thug Gov. Rendell and the slot casinos to come legally steal
the rest of the workers money that they haven't already stolen in taxes. Liberals, Democrats you are Godless thieves, liers, hypocrits, and terrorists supporters. Bring It On!!!

Posted by: Red, Black & Gold | March 10, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

All you guys (and girls) write this crap.
and then wonder why our government is so screwed up.
Have you ever thought to step back and take a look at yourselves?
You idiots are why those idiots are there

Posted by: spasticjack | March 10, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

The times they are a changin' and it's about time. The beautiful part is the Repugs are now getting their butts kicked by a bunch of girls running the power centers. Pelosi's kickin' their behinds on Capital Hill and Hillary will be the next Pres unless she loses the primary to (OMG) - Obama!

Posted by: God Save Bill | March 10, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Bill Clinton was our first black president and Hillary will be our first doormat president. I love firsts.

Posted by: Richard | March 10, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Matt Drudge is king!

Posted by: Matt | March 10, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

That's it, I'm going to become a Democrat so I can smoke in peace. It must be the Republicans who are behind the removal of smokers' rights and high taxes on a pack of smokes.

Posted by: Jim | March 10, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the kind words, that folks wrote to my post above.

I thought some folks who still believe in this great country, might appreciate this.

OLD GEEZERS

"Geezers" (slang for an old man) are easy to spot:

At sporting events, during the playing of the National Anthem, Old Geezers remove their caps and stand at attention and sing without embarrassment. They know the words and believe in them.

Old Geezers remember the Depression, World War II, Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Normandy and Hitler.
They remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War 1950-53-55, The Cold War, the jet age, and the moon landing, the 50 plus Peacekeeping Missions from 1945 to 2005, the Jet Age and the Moon Landing, not to mention Vietnam.

If you bump into an Old Geezer on the sidewalk, he will apologize.
If you pass an Old Geezer on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a lady.

Old Geezers trust strangers and are courtly to women.
Old Geezers hold the door for the next person and always, when walking, make certain the lady is on the inside for protection. Old Geezers get embarrassed if someone curses in front of women and children and they don't like any filth on TV or in movies. Old Geezers have moral courage. They seldom brag unless it's about their grandchildren.

It's the Old Geezers who know our great country !
It is protected, not by politicians or police, but by the young men and women in the military proudly serving their country.

This country needs Old Geezers with their decent Christian Conservative values.
We need them now more than ever!

Thank God for Old Geezers!
Pass this on to all the Old Geezers you know!

A man WITH a gun is a CITIZEN
A man WITHOUT gun is a SUBJECT

Take care, be safe.
God Bless.
Old Geezer
Chris - Alaska

Posted by: Grizzly | March 11, 2007 12:32 AM | Report abuse

If you elect thieves and hypocrites to Congress, don't be surprised when they behave thusly.

Posted by: DrCruel | March 11, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

This story just goes to show how ridiculous conservatives are. And the reader comments illuminate this fact even more! It's like people wish they were living in 1950 again.

Posted by: Jesus Hates Conservatives | March 12, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

To concervatives, politics is a garden. And they are the hoes.How pathetic!

Posted by: Herbert-Jean Awuor | March 13, 2007 3:31 AM | Report abuse