Sen. Hatch, the Cursing Mormon

There's something about a good Mormon Senator cursing that's funny and naughty. It sure made folks laugh Tuesday night when Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said the word that starts with "Sh," ends with a "T" and has an "I" in the middle.

While accepting the Edwin C. Whitehead award for medical research at Research!America's 11th annual advocacy awards gala, Hatch told a little joke. The punch line was about a Mormon minister telling his congregation that the piece of paper in his hand was "God's shit list" and that their names were on it.

Big uproar of laughter.

Hatch looked at the audience gathered at the Andrew Mellon Auditorium and assured them: none of their names were on that list, on account of the important work they do for medical research. Non-you-know-what-list attendees included Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas), Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.), National Institutes of Health Director Elia Zerhouni and former Surgeon General David Satcher.

ABC News's This Week host, George Stephanopolous, commented on what a "great night" it was getting to hear Senator Hatch say "shit list."

Yep, that's what counts for fun these days in Washington.

By Mary Ann Akers  |  March 21, 2007; 6:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hillary Clinton, a "Pander Bear's" Best Friend...?
Next: Uncomfortable Situation, Uncomfortable Words From Edwards

Comments

Oooooh, how daring it was for Mr. Senator Hatch to actually utter the S-word, right alongside the G-word. Wilikers and cool-a-roonie, but I guess it would have had a modestly greater impact if someone from a religious faith made the comment, and not the offspring of desert polygamists. Gosh and golly and OH MY! Now, does that make Mr. Senator Hatch a F-ing Sack of S-word?

Posted by: MaryLou Harper | March 21, 2007 9:11 PM | Report abuse

This was a fun article to read. Thank you.

Posted by: George | March 22, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Hatch is a the biggest s--- phony there is! Wait until the people here is Utah find out what he said about Mormon and using God's name along the with the s--- word. But these are your good mormons - "NOT!" But they are all the same here in this state - phony! Hatch is a joke right along with phony Chris Cannon - who is a dishonest person also!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 22, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I live in Utah and am not LDS, but I believe in respecting Mr. Hatch's beliefs and don't think he meant anything inappropriate in his remarks. I don't agree with his beliefs, but I fully defend his right to them. The LDS Church is not the only religious group who take themselves very seriously. Maybe we all need to "chill out" a little.

Posted by: Anon Native Utahn | March 22, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

It amazes me that a large percentage of people in this country still choose to measure a person by the group they belong to, whether assigned by birth or accepted by choice. In this country, a person's faith should be a private matter. What is subject to public comment is the way their beliefs are put into action.

Posted by: Nick McKean | March 22, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Having lived in Utah for almost twenty years, I went through the discrimination in employment when I first moved here - nowhere else was I asked about my religion! And even the non-LDS children are shunned or physically and verbally attacked in schools. Perhaps it is getting better, but the politics in this state are ruled by the religion. State liquor stores - and the state is run by Mormons! Plenty of children - but the education system is deplorable. I could not even attend my oldest grandson's wedding because he was married in the "temple" and you have to be LDS, get a "temple recommend" from your bishop and be "worthy" of entering the "temple". Why the secrecy? Is this nothing more than a cult? I always thought that churches were houses of God and that all should be welcome there - but not according to the Mormons!

Posted by: Utahreb | March 22, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nick McKean | March 22, 2007 05:00 PM
`
I mostly agree. People shouldn't be judged by whether or not they believe in invisible golden tablets, but if they put them above the U.S. Constitution then they are unfit to hold public office.
BTW Invisible golden tablets is an oxymoron. As Paul Bunyan once said, "My trusty helper Blue, believes in invisible golden tablets, but he's an oxymoron"

Posted by: sonofabastard | March 22, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Having lived in - and left - Utah, I have very strong views on the LDS cult and their mission to infiltrate and take over the US Government. (and the world...) Ask the congnizanti how many LDS are in the FBI and CIA. It's scary. However, living in Utah was an eye-opener. Now I understand how anyone - yes, anyone - can believe ANYTHING if they are raised in an environment where believing in outrageous concepts is the 'norm.' Enlighten yourself, America! Mormons are not Christians, and they do NOT think like the rest of Americans. They are empty shells controlled by their Bishoprics (yes, a real word) and their head Prophet. Re-read Brave New World to get a clue.

Posted by: UtahSurvivor | March 23, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I do not attend any church precisely because they tell you what to think, while raking in the money tax-free. People are so gullible.

Posted by: Claire Petuck | March 23, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I did not know Mr. Clean, Hatch was not allowed to curse. If Cheney can curse the Senator from Vermont in front of all his fellow politicians. What the hell!
I am not, by any means, a Rep. but Free Speech is [ I think] still allowed. you would have to ask the 2 top Nazis in this country Rove[heinz] and noodlehead GWB

Posted by: lynn parker | March 23, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

If you are mormon and come to this state to visit or vacations beware of the mormons on the corners just waiting to tell you that they will convert you to mormon And hand you a "Book of Mormon!" It took place here when the Olympics were held here - because the Mormon church runs this state there is "NO, separation of Church and State in Utah! All of us non mormons love and jack mormons(the sinners as they have labeled us) love living here just to drive the mormons crazy!
Yes, peoples thinking of the mormon religion is correct - in thinking it is a cult! Their tunnel vision and rose colored glasses all they can see is what the church tells them to do - "it's your calling!"

There are mormons who are the good ones who aren't in church every Sunday but are out numbered by the bad ones who do attend the services every Sunday. They are the ones who are friendly not like the snobs in the church.
Oh let's not forget the children can't play with your children if they aren't mormon or different race.And their children can't play on Sundays after church either. In their own yards but not with other children!
Then there is what we sinners call - "Lock up night" - Family home evenings what the mormons call it!

The only reason there are so many Republicans in Utah is because of two issues - they are anit-abortion and the gay issues. So that makes them rather phony.
Like Hatch who couldn't make it in his own home state(PA) so he comes to get elected in congress. Romney is the worsed "Flip-Flopper there since he started running for President. Don't trust a mormon nice to your face and the mnute you turn your back to them they stabbed in the back.

Posted by: Living in Utah | March 23, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

The first time I passed through Utah, I was a baby. My parents were pulling our trailer from CA to ND through Salt Lake City when it started to snow. The family that owned the motel gave me my first snow suit.

The next time I visited, I went to do the tourist thing in Salt Lake but left my wallet in Ogden, 1 1/2 hours away. My companions and I scraped together our change for dinner, but it wasn't much. Seeing our predicament, the manager of the Burger King supplemented our meal on the house. I'm sold.

I don't know why these other people think Utah Mormon are bad. Maybe if they themselves were a bit nicer...

As for Orrin Hatch, he's got a pretty good sense of humor for a conservative senator.

Posted by: Been There Met Em | March 23, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I am ashamed and appalled to be a US citizen when I read comments as those posted above! We are all individual children of a loving Heavenly Father, just because we are mortal and have flaws doesn't mean that we are less of a religious person than anyone else. I'm getting sick to death of hearing and reading those people that do not understand my religion, that of being a LDS member, calling it a polygimist cult and disavowing our beliefs just because they don't coincide with yours! It is okay to live in the world, we just don't have to live by the world...or the "acceptable" beliefs, which anymore is basically anything goes as long as you don't kill someone, and even then, if you say I'm sorry, you can go to rehab and be acquitted. Heck, even Mel Gibson was given the benefit of the doubt and he blatantly cursed the jewish religion, and publically at that! If you don't want to join us, FINE, but be an informed blogger, not just a knee-jerk writer that takes what the media proposes and run with it. as far as "living in Utah" is concerned, get a life! Better that we as "Mormons" take enough care and concern with how our children are raised that we actually have some guidelines to their behavior....heaven forbid we just allow them to run wild, why, we might just have something similar to say.....the current state of teenagers beating the sh*t out of the homeless people right? Yep, there we go again, teaching compassion, concern and care......nothing you would find in a "cult"....can you say Jamestown? Get REAL!

Posted by: tanyascrappy | March 23, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a child of the Heavenly Father- I'm a child of a mother and a father, both mortal, who begat me by having sex.

If you have any question, I am an atheist.

I don't take what the media proposes and run with it- I question it explicitly, and I'm not the kind of person that makes fun of people based on religion. I respect your belief, although I do not believe it myself. I do not think that you should have to react in such a way to comments posted that you find offensive. I hope that you are not offended by what I wrote at the beginning of my comment- you probably are, but I was merely using it to illustrate a point- that you should not attempt to address people as if they believed in a religion if you are not sure of their religious beliefs.

I do not dislike Mormons, but I dislike the way the Mormon church has handled various issues. My cousin Lucien died when a car crashed into him as he was crossing the street, and his Mormon mother was told by the priest that if she grieved for Lucien he would have less of a chance of going to heaven- that was extremely thoughtless, and heartless.

You said that we shouldn't just take what the media says and run with it- my advice to you is to believe what you want to believe, but don't just take what the CHURCH says and run with it.

Posted by: pen.llewellyn | March 23, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Rarely have I seen such hate filled postings in all my life. If this sort of thing was said about Jews, Catholics, Chirstians, or Muslims, y'all would be correctly branded as the bigots you are. But since mormons are a minority, you think you can get away with it.

What do y'all think of blacks? Or Mexicans? Do y'all have the same closed minded and stereotypical views on them? I bet if you did you wouldn't have the spin to post the same sort of crap.

Posted by: Ryan | March 23, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

nothing like the pot calling the kettle black. mormons are the largest group of hypocritical racists on the planet(next to anyone who worships the old testament)they have these revalations at the most opportune times(priesthood for blacks just ahead of the supreme court,renouncing polygamy to gain statehood)no its not hate filled just the facts

Posted by: jandad | March 23, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

None of us have room to judge

Posted by: blaster | March 24, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

You people are funny. Blah, blah, blah discrimination, hypocrites...I'm offended, yada, yada, yada... If mormons didnt do such funny stuff people would make fun of them. Can't some of you just enjoy a good joke?

Posted by: DRizzle | March 24, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

It's not about religion, folks, it's about "enemies" and being at war with those who don't agree with you. Nixon or Hatch's preacher alter ego the result is the same and is a threat to democracy. That's no joke.

Posted by: Manrico1 | March 25, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I just wanna know if y'all got yer fix today, by running to the church or temple or wherever, and punched yer little "I was there" card so you could feel sanctimonious and like yerself for one more day.

Yep, don't doubt it--"religion is the opiate".

hope you got yer high.

Posted by: kcdrew | March 25, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

It is disheartening to see the animosity that has arisen over Mitt Romney's candidacy for the Presidency. I am a Mormon, rather liberal and a faithful member. I see the problems in the state of Utah and I also see the good. To focus only on one or the other is simply to ignore the realities of the human experience. I think we all need to take a step back. As for Senator Hatch, I have always considered him to be too self-righteous and too partisan for my liking. I don't believe he represents what most of us Mormons are trying to become. Yes, sometimes we come across the way we are described but having lived among Mormons most of my life, I still find they are good people, with good intentions and a desire to become better. We have yet to "let go" of the world but some of us are trying real hard. In that, we are not that much different from most people who truly believe in something.

Posted by: Ignacio M. Garcia | March 26, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

It is not a big deal -- Orrin tried to make a little joke, which is tough to do in a stuffed shirt. In any event, poster MaryLouHarper is a scream and should have her own column.

Posted by: tennisguy | March 26, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate Mr. Garcia's comments, and I understand how my personal beliefs can come across the printed word as full of anger and spite, when in fact it was truly meant just the opposite. I suppose the only possible excuse I may offer is my newly rengenerated joy at finding I am the happiest when I am living the basic tenants of my personal belief system, which happens to coincide most directly with the belief system of the "mormon" church. As far as being begat of a mortal father and mother, you are correct, however if one takes a giant step back and puts the immediate flash of anger away, it has been a well-accepted belief that man and woman were created by God, Genesis give us that story, anyone can read it for themselves. This belief is also ascribed to by a multitude of other religions, in fact, doesn't the Catholic belief system worship the "mother" Mary and the Almighty as the parents of Jesus? The other basic beliefs I have that most correlate to the mormon beliefs also correlate to the 10 commandents, don't harm others, don't tell a lie (even Abe Lincoln bought into that one), don't murder, dont' screw your neighbor's spouse, don't steal, and for the most part, you will be happy. However, you can only be as happy as you make others, so you should also spend some time and energy serving others, raising your children to be a responsible, contributing productive member of society, law-abiding preferably, and hence, you will be okay in this world. Time to look past the world-inducements, and towards what will last ....kindness, politeness, manners, gentleness, and compasion, if we all practiced this a bit more towards our fellow man, would we really have this much coverage of war? Would we read of the crime, teenager upon the homeless, tv stars going to rehab? Kindness is a religion all unto itself eh?

Posted by: tanyascrappy | March 29, 2007 11:54 PM | Report abuse

In John F. Kennedy's day, it happened with Catholics. Now, if you want to see religious bigots crawling out from the woodwork, just mention the Mormons.

Posted by: Gayle | April 4, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm just happy to be here -- shows how far behind I am - I've HEARD of the Sleuth, but this is the first time I've read it -- terrific - it's now bookmarked -(things move slowly out here in Missouri -- still waiting on that perfect Republican candidate to show up -

Posted by: Missourimule | April 4, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse