Nixon Man Mistakes John Kerry for a Republican

The following appears in Friday's edition of The Washington Post (but The Sleuth's version includes an exclusive editor's cut!):

Even as the Nixon administration was plotting in 1971 to destroy John Kerry, then the young, charismatic leader of Vietnam Veterans Against the War, the president's top political strategist apparently didn't get the memo.

Instead, the operative, Murray Chotiner, wrote his own note advocating that the Republican Party recruit Kerry. He did go to Yale, after all; he must be one of them, Chotiner surmised.

"He is a Yale graduate and is inclined toward the 'establishment',"
Chotiner wrote in a memo to Attorney General John Mitchell and White House chief of staff H.R. Haldeman. "His background could be Republican."

The memo was included in nearly 80,000 pages of documents released Wednesday by the National Archives, which oversees the Nixon library.

Dated April 26, 1971, four days after Kerry testified before the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations about ending the war in Vietnam, the memo, like many of the tapes and documents from the Nixon White House, showed how closely administration critics were scrutinized.

The way Chotiner interpreted Kerry's testimony at the April 22, 1971 hearing and his statements on newscasts at the time, the future Democratic senator from Massachusetts appeared to have "no use for the Democrats as such" and "no use for Senator [J. Willliam] Fulbright."

In point No. 5 backing up his Kerry-is-a-Republican theory, Chotiner wrote that Kerry was asked how he voted in 1968.

"He said 'if he had voted (which he did not), he would have voted for Nixon'," Chotiner reported.

Bottom line, Chotiner wrote to Mitchell and Haldeman, "Someone without officially coming from the Administration ought to talk with" Kerry about running for office.

But a transcript of Kerry's testimony showed no discussion of the 1968 election and Kerry insists he never would have voted for Richard Nixon.

"I think Murray Chotiner must have had an 18 and a half minute gap in his synapse, if you know what I mean," Kerry said in an e-mail sent yesterday by his spokesman. "I was an RFK, then Gene McCarthy, and ultimately a Humphrey supporter in '68 -- and I think any of us who lived through that period wonder what America would've been like if only any of those three men had made it to the White House. Certainly there would be fewer names on The Wall," he said, in a reference to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

And no, Kerry said, seeking to keep the history books intact, he never swung the other way.

"I experimented with a number of things in college. Being a Republican wasn't one of them. Besides, going to Yale doesn't make you a Republican. Going to Bob Jones University makes you a Republican."

EDITOR'S CUT:

Asked if he recalled ever being approached by either a Nixon operative, Nixon himself, or a GOP Party official to run for office as a Republican, Kerry replied, "No, and the one thing we know, if Nixon had called me, there's a tape recording of it somewhere, right?"

He added, "I don't know what's worse, that the Nixon White House spied on me or smeared me, or that they pegged me for a Republican."

By Mary Ann Akers  |  July 13, 2007; 12:01 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vitter to Hold Town Hall Meeting
Next: Do Tell: The Youngest Member of Congress, Rep. Patrick McHenry

Comments

Some could argue that John Kerry has been an asset to the GOP since 2004.

He's a good guy but he talks way too much.

Posted by: politicalpuck | July 13, 2007 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Some could argue that John Kerry has been an asset to the GOP since 2004.

He's a good guy but he talks way too much.

Posted by: politicalpuck | July 13, 2007 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Kerry is increasingly irrelevant. If the Dems had run a better candidate in '04, they would have won. Ditto Dukakis. A Mass. candidate will always provide Teddy comparisons for the GOP. The Dems then yield the entire South.

Posted by: Jay | July 13, 2007 7:43 AM | Report abuse

"what's worse....that they pegged me for a Republican"

Posted by: Judge C. Crater | July 13, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I think any of us who lived through the last three years wonder what America would've been like if only any one other than Kerry had been nominated by the Dems to run for the White House. Certainly there would be fewer casualties in Iraq.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 13, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Kerry lied about his minor, temporary service during Viet Nam, didn't have the integrity nor the guts to ever say whether he volunteered or was drafted (which I doubt because he could not have passed the demanding physical)so I doubt that he voted in the year of McCarthey. Kerry obviously doesn't remember when Humphrey got nominated because the biggest anti war crowd ever gathered in Chicago came crashing down around the democrats for their Viet Nam debacle. By the way, the dems cut off funds for that fiasco and left alot of our vets hanging by their thumbs. Neat trick. Think they will try it again?

Posted by: Jake | July 13, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Jake, where did you get your degree in history -- Limbaugh University? Even online your words appear to have been written in KoolAid. Neat trick!

Posted by: Neal | July 13, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I have no more faith in a Democrat than I do a Republican. The time has come to vote for independents. Our political system is so corrupt - we need to a vote in candidates who are not already contaminated by special interests and will once again represent the "people". If the "silent majority" would vote independent- we might be able to recapture some semblance of the America we once knew.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 13, 2007 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | July 13, 2007 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Jake, almost every point you make in your post is inaccurate. I am not necessarily a fan of John Kerry, but he stood up and went to war when the country asked him to go, and he risked his life to save fellow soldiers. He may not be a great speaker, and he may sound disconnected from whatever your idea is of the average American, but he showed more class in the Sixties than I'm guessing your sorry @$$ ever has or ever will.

Posted by: veteran | July 15, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Nice to omit that Kerry was a member of Skull and Bones. Only he and 11 or 12 other Yale men were chosen annually to make it into that group of covert plotters. Small wonder that the Nixon people thought he was with them.

Looking at his record, one could make a case for Kerry as an infiltratitor within the Democrats. His Chairmanship of the Senate Committee looking into drug trafficking produced nothing but smoke and mirrors. Later he conceded his halfhearted campaign against a fellow Bonesman. His last minute "joke", dispraging the military,had to have helped the Republicans in the last election.

Maybe your Dana Milbank, another Bonesman, can tell us in which camp Kerry really resides, except I think Milbank, Kerry, Bush 43 and Bush 41 all took oaths requiring them to deceive the American people.

Posted by: Joe Canepa | July 15, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Kerry is a half @$$ed Democrap who generally kept a low profile and has accomplished little as a Senator ("Did I mention I served in Viet Nam?") and GWB is a half @$$ed Repulsican. In the case of GWB, he probably wanted to be thought of as Reaganesque. He is instead Nixonesque on domestic policy in that he does not care one whit how big or intrusive the federal government gets or what it costs the taxpayers. As to foreign policy the removal of North Korea from the nuclear club may end up as his greatest achievement. Iraq proves he's no Reagan or Nixon in that arena.

Posted by: r man | July 16, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Jake, for reminding me that one of my favorite soapboxes has been gathering dust in the corner for way too long: Exactly HOW did a couple of draft dodgers EVER manage to get away with attacking Kerry on his war record?

Posted by: Audentes | July 16, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Heck, Cheney didn't even graduate college, let alone go to war. He had "other priorities..." Yeah, I'll bet those boys who died in the rice paddies had other priorities, too, Dick; but they went.

Posted by: Soonerthought | July 16, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh I don't know Audentes, could it be that Kerry had to mention and exagerate his brief VN service constantly in his appearances in order to get votes from vets? This PO'd a lot of vets considering his behavior after he left the service. Many of them thought, and some knew him to be a liar and a hypocrite. Bush and Cheney did not have to go after him on his war record. Vets did it for them with great success.

Posted by: r man | July 17, 2007 7:08 AM | Report abuse

A young Senator named John Kerry was THE person that brought Americans the ugly truth about Iran Contra and about the BCCI banking scandals. Without John Kerry, some folks would be thinking of Ronald Raygun as a "good president", not as a man asleep at the switch while Ollie North and John Poindexter ran amuck with our Constitution... Well, I mean that is, the folks that pay attention. I guess there's just no educating the masses, hmm?

What's really interesting to me is to follow the lines between the shady folks like James R. Bath (Dubya's Texas Air Nat Guard drinking buddy - kicked out at the same time) and Arbusto (Dubya's oil company) and Salim Bin Ladin (Osama's half brother) and BCCI (James Bath was on the board of directors). And of course we have the aforementioned Skull and Bones society.

Small world, eh? Next someone will be claiming that John Hinkley, Jr (Raygun's would-be assasin) somehow was tied to the Bush famiily! As if!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Kerry was not my first choice for president in 2004; however, any democrat is 1000% better then a low life republican. Now, about his war record; he is a decorated hero who served! He did not put himself in for the medals he received. I respect all those who served and were awarded medals during that conflict (with the exception of one whom I will not mention). He like many others who were there realized that many of the US forces had lost their focus due to poor leadership and were committing acts that could only be described as war crimes. Some were due to battle fatigue, others were due to a lack of leadership, and yet others were due to the individual who was just plain scum. Most soldiers did not volunteer to go to Nam, so there was no great desire to win the war. Kerry volunteered and was decorated like many others and deserves the respect of all Americans. Of course with debacles in Iraq like Pvt Jessica Lynch and Afghanistan's Pat Tillman, we have to wonder if these medals are truly earned by a many of the recipients. No I did not serve in Nam; but I did serve 23 years in the military. I also have read numerous books and a major history enthusiast.

Posted by: Tom | July 18, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

In categorizing all Democraps as 1000 percent better than a Repulsican, Tom (July 18, 2007 08:05AM) categorizes himself as narrow minded and only to think in terms of labels. So is alleged bribe taking Rep. Jefferson of Louisiana 1000 percent better than ANY Repulsican? Tom, do you apply the same narrow minded thought process to race, religion, nationality and gender? Your first sentence established you as a political bigot and therefore negated everything else you had to say.

Posted by: r man | July 18, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

So r man and Jake, how long were your nam tours and where were you deployed -- behind a typewriter or in the bowls of a clg in the south china sea? Seems to me Kerry was ON THE RIVER. Everyone who served on gun boats deserves R E S P E C T period.

Posted by: cincinatus | July 18, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

cincinnatus, I did 3 years in the US Army after ROTC. Two of my brothers served in Nam and when they were going to send me there, one of them was an MP at Cam Rhan Bay, so they sent me to the ROK instead. So after 2 years in the Pittsburg Air Defense in Nike Hercules AD missile operations I served in an 8" howitzer bn for a year near the ROK DMZ. If ordered to go to Nam I would have gone.

If there is any taint to Kerry's service, it is the fact that he bailed ASAP and dissed his fellow servicemen afterwards as being perpetrators and responsible for behaving inappropriately in situations that ultimately politicians had created. To me that made him disrespectful of many who gave their all. In my mind this disrespect and then using his service to bolster his candidacy for president was reprehensible.

Posted by: r man | July 18, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

The only thing I wish was different for the '04 campaign was John Kerry should have challenged the Swift Boat Vet accusations in court for slander and defamation of character and called the Sect. of Navy (at that time Republican John Warner) as his only witness. As John Warner said in regard to John Kerry receiving a purple heart...We didn't just hand those out to just anybody. Personally I think anyone that served in the Viet Nam War or serving in this Afghanistan/Iraq War deserves a purple heart just for showing up to fight for our country!!!!!!!!!!!! And here we sit hidden behind computers and argue over a purple heart or military achievements while young men and women are being injured or dying...RIGHT NOW...not the 60's.

Posted by: Awnie | July 18, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

for those who took exception to Jake's comments, if it's the Jake I know, he has a tendency to exaggerate to make a point.
Harvey, if you're Jake, you should be ashamed to denegrate Kerry's Nam exp-erience. All you know is the BS dished up by the neocons.

Posted by: 8ball | July 19, 2007 6:26 PM | Report abuse

The swiftboat vets slander was a test. I have no doubt we'll be hearing from Park Ridge Women Who Know Hillary Can't Cook and also from African Americans Who Know Obama Is A Muslim Terrorist. And sadly, since we've managed to keep so many citizens ignorant and uneducated these groups will no doubt be believed by too many.

Posted by: Unclair | July 20, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey Unclair, you left out the idiots who believe the World Trade Center was brought down by timed detonation. Perhaps if the public schools that most ignorant, uneducated people in this country attend were not dominated by teachers unions more interested in keeping incompetent teachers on the payroll than in educating kids there might not be so many dummies believing all the crap.

Posted by: r man | July 23, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

John Kerry is okay in my book but he really needs to go away quietly. I thought he ran a very poor campaign in 2004 and thus we have Bush Jr. in the White House 'till January 2009.

Posted by: moose966 | July 24, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Kerry is a dreamer, who believed(believes) that it is necessary to let the democratic process run its whole course, as Clinton.
They are truly idealists.
Clinton does have a miles longer charisma, though, that let him get away with it.
But Kerry unfortunately is a plank of wood.
So, Kerry, left the Swift Boat matter unchallenged, because was his belief that the People would be able to read the true.
Kerry let the debate flow.
So was his rear honeycombed.

Posted by: Illegals-for-Senate-08 | July 25, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Dear Sir / Madam

I am 46 years old, Canadian citizen and native of Pakistan (muslim). I was an immigration consultant in Canada and also member of Canadian Bar Association as part of my business , I had an office in New York.
During 2001 immediately after the Sept 11, event the US govt arrested me on Oct 25, 2001 on anonymous call, as a material witness for the 9/11 world trade centre terrorist attack. A detail investigation by the FBI and USA Naval intelligence dept was conducted and I was cleared, but even then govt put me in front of Grand jury , and I was cleared and the case was dismissed by the Grand jury of the US Federal Court .
Approximately after 2 weeks , before I was released from custody the US Govt imposed a new charges of Fraud and money laundering , under the advice of my attorney , I pleaded guilty and I was sentenced to prison for five years (which was four years more, what I pleaded). In which I had already spent 3 years in Detention jail, during the case , I had about 14 months left to finishing my sentence ,(instead of appealing, I preferred to applied for Treaty Transfer to Canada, because if the case is in the appeal, defendant is not eligible for transfer back to his home country).
While at prison, I learned from the case manager Miss Hause, that my citizen was incorrect in the FBOP's (Federal Bureau of Prison) computer system as Pakistani instead of Canadian.
Its important to note , that all of my Canadian identifications (passport , citizenship card , S.I.N , Health card , Driving license etc) were under FBI's possession, with a great deal of concern, I wrote a letter to the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo, N.Y to notify such mistake and requested them to fix this problem. This is especially important for Treaty Transfer back to Canada.
The Canadian Consulate official sent a letter to the jail to correct my citizenship status, however FBOP ignored the request and the citizenship status in the FBOP computer still reflect Pakistani instead of Canadian (Note:- I would be required to obtain visa to visit Pakistan) .In contrast , the deportation letter received from US Immigration dept, Contained the correct citizenship status of Canada.
At the hindsight, I believe that the FBOP intentionally left the citizenship as Pakistani, so that they could retained me at their facility, while the govt is planning to file new charges against me 3rd time.
Approximately six weeks before my released date on Jan 30 ,2006 I was notified by the FBOP that I was being transferred from Allenwood , PA to MDC (Metropolitan Detention Centre) in Brooklyn N.Y, it was explained to me, that the purpose of this transfer was in preparation for deportation back to Canada, (after few days, I signed the immigration deportation papers, with my consular Miss Chen).
But immediately after my arriving to MDC Brooklyn, I discovered during a phone call with my family in Montreal, that RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) official had contacted my sister and brother-in-law regarding the whereabouts of my wife and my current situation, there was no explanation given by the RCMP official to the purpose of the call and he left his phone number and asked my wife to call him back immediately, my wife called the RCMP official and left messages in his voice mail. Then the official contacted my brother-in-law again and had asked him to tell my wife not to call again, because there is nothing good nor anything bad.
Meanwhile the AUSA ( Astt United States Attorney) office Investigator and FBI brought me to their office to be interrogated without an attorney present, even AUSA told in the court to the judge on March 16, 2006 that he arranged attorney for me before my arrival from Allenwood PA to MDC Brooklyn, N.Y, on Transcript; page 11, Transcript line No: 14 to 23.
AUSA:-
He (Khalid Awan) was writ in the cause of a grand jury investigation. He clearly had criminal exposure. So to protect his interest I made an application to the duty magistrate for counsel to be appointed.
THE COURT:-
Initially he was brought here by a Court to testify before the grand jury?
AUSA:-
That is correct, Your Honour.
THE COURT:-
When he arrived here, you made arrangements for an attorney to be pointed to request him?
AUSA:-
Yes, Your Honour.
This interrogation started with the AUSA office Investigator stating that my family will be arrested in Canada if I refused to answer their questions.
At this point I am certain that my family is in great danger for reasons that I am not aware of. I was scared that my family would be harassed by these people along with the Canadian RCMP official, I strongly believe that the RCMP is doing this intentionally in collaboration with FBI official to further harass me to admit charges, that I never committed.
Without knowledge of the reasons why the Canadian RCMP agency was involved. I was surprised that RCMP official directly approached my family instead of me without proper explanation, and its also shocked for me, that how RCMP got the phone number of my family (because before my arrest, I don't have any single record in any police dept, of any country).
I was intimated and pushed to the edge during this interrogation, I was determined to provide anything these USA officials wanted to make them happy even is the questions made no sense, because I want them to stop the harassment to my family.
On March 15, 2006 I completed the term of my imprisonment and was to be released from American Custody and deported back to Canada. Before that I was arrested again 3rd time, and charged with providing "material support to a foreign terrorist" and money laundering (to a organization and person, which are not designated by the USA govt and belongs to Sikh religion) , and with whom, I don't have any single common interest, because we both are from different countries and different religions.
These charges emerged while I was still in prison and without the capability of providing any type of support. It was even difficult for me to get enough financial assistance to pay legal fees. I could not have provided any material support while I was in prison for five years and I could not launder any money because I did not have any.
AUSA filed three counts of indictment against me.
Conspiracy to provide material support.
Provide a material support to the foreign terrorist.
Money laundering to support terrorism.
(Please note, that in my previous case govt charged me for money laundering and fraud from Jan 1999 to 2002 and "its mentioned in the plea-agreement by the AUSA that no further money laundering charges will be brought against defendant from Jan 1999 to April 2002" even then govt indict me for money laundering from 1998 to Nov 2001 (Which is double Jeopardy and violation of 5th Amendment of U.S Constitution.)
In Oct 2006, during pre-trial hearing on the motion's filed by my attorney the first two counts of my indictment were dismissed by the judge, stating that there is a lack of facts and figures.
After two weeks AUSA re-indicted me again. I believe this is a desperate act of the AUSA to cover up a huge embarrassment . Further this hastily drawn indictment was full of factual errors and creative legal theories.
Since I was first arrested by the American govt, I believe that I have been singled out, isolated `and discriminated against primarily because of my race and religion, in addition to the fact that I don't know any information that the American govt is trying to pressure out of me.
I do not understand the American laws and this is what led to my pleading guilty in the first case. I have difficulty understanding the new charges also.
I have been charged under, section 2339(a) of Title 18 of the United States code, which makes it illegal to provide material support to a foreign terrorist.
Please understand, I am not a terrorist, I do not know any terrorist and I have had no connections with or to any known or unknown terrorist. I have been incarcerated for last 5 years and I had no money to provide or launder.
The law enforcement have in America is pressuring me to provide information to them that I really do not have or know. I am a Canadian Citizen and nearly all of my family is in Canada, including my wife and kids. I don't know any information to tell them to help their investigation.
Because of this , I am being treated unfairly and my rights under the American constitution are being violated. I am being held here in further detention against my will for crimes which I could have never committed, because I was in prison.
I believe, that I am a victim of the discrimination that was outlined in the July 3, 2006 issue of Time magazine (Page 29, column 3). In this article section 2339(a) & (b) are discussed and criticized "as most suspects are charged under these two sections. However, the justice dept here in America admits that of the more than 218 guilty pleas that it has obtained, most are for minor investigation issues that are uncovered deeding the course of their terrorism investigation. This suggest, according to the article that the Attorney General's office have is not concerned about the rights or fairness or the manner in which it achieves convictions for the people they arrest. Furthermore, criticizes have noted that one of the patterns to emerge from these domestic prosecutions is that suspect seen too incompetent to carry out the deeds they are accused of. The Deputy Attorney General acknowledges that the Dept of Justice's goal is " preventions through prosecution's" and this is done with no regard for an individual's rights.
I agree that these guilty of terrorism should be prosecuted . But as the above mentioned article suggest , innocent people should not be targeted because of their race or religion.
I am not a terrorist and I should not be targeted and treated unfairly and unjustly.
I need your assistance desperately in my case, as I believe that I am being treated unjustly here. I would like to send you my attorney's contact information and provide you with legal documents related to my case, so that you may become more familiar with my situation.
Please also note, that I appeared in the court , for no guilty of my 2nd superseding indictment on Aug 02, 2006 and on Aug 03, 2006 FBOP officials placed me in the SHU (Segregation Housing Unit) out of these months, I placed in the SHU isolation from Jan 03, 2007 to March 6, 2007 for unknown "Pending Investigation" in these 215 days of my segregation and isolation, I don't have a single phone call access to my family, no legal calls to my attorney and Canadian Council, my legal mail opened in my absence, no medical treatment for my injured shoulder (even I went for hunger strike for 3 and half day) I harassed by the various jail officials and lot of other problems too which already been submitted in the attention of the FBOP higher authorities, but no action taken on them, after writing the court, instead of receiving the response or any action on my complaints, jail officials removed /moved me from MDC federal facility to Nassau County Jail .
My suffering has gone on for far too long, and I need your help to bring my suffering to an end. I want to return home to my family, because my imprisonment was injustice and will remain a great injustice forever.
May God bless you and be with you in your efforts to champion the cause of human rights, and the suffering of innocent prisoners and restore hope, faith and love to peoples all over the world.

Sincerely,
KHALID AWAN
FBOP NO. 50959-054

The court will be on 12 September 2007.

Posted by: Anar gondal | July 31, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse