Random Rummy August Sighting

Starting a war must really wear a guy down.

Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld was spotted today having lunch at Morton's on Connecticut Ave. What was remarkable was not what he ordered, or with whom he dined, or how quintessentially condescending he may have been to the waiter.

No, what was remarkable was how, according to our (Republican) source, Rumsfeld's handlers had to help him onto the escalator and "held his elbow" and opened doors for him. "He looked old," our tipster said.

Hard to imagine that Rummy, 75, the tough guy with so much energy that he preferred standing while working rather than sitting on his duff all day, could suddenly need help getting on an escalator. But maybe this is a classic case of "this is now, that was then" (or vice versa).

At least Rumsfeld was tough enough to brave 90-plus degree Washington weather. He sat outside on the patio of Morton's, which is on the second story of the Washington Square Building and overlooks Connecticut Ave.

And to Rummy, it must have been an earthly delight, because his guest -- whose identity no one seemed to know -- was overheard saying when he arrived that he was meeting Rumsfeld in "the garden."

By Mary Ann Akers  |  August 13, 2007; 9:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rove Resignation: It Was the Coffee!
Next: Elizabeth Edwards: Obama Is a Copycat

Comments

Karl Rove has been the most important source of inspiration for GW Bush, he was the man with Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz and others of the so-called group Project for a New American Century, who had started this new policy of unilateralism in international affaires, and had pushed their country to this completely illegal war on Iraq. I hope that one day all these men will face justice for all their criminal offences towards the citizens of the USA and the whole world. Thanks to them we have more terrorism than ever before, in spite of finishing the war in Afghanistan, smashing the Taliban and Al Qaeda, they started an unlawful war on Iraq in 2003, which was planned by them since the mid 1990's. Their cynicism, their deceitfulness and lack of moral and ethical values had pushed all of us in true political blind alley in connection with our future, which with out the slightest doubt will have a deep impact in the years to come. They were the most arrogant and false bunch of people in charge of directing their country's policies since the American Revolution. Their disastrous policies not only had failed but also caused hundreds of thousands of lives and casualties in Iraq, amongst their citizens, and among American and British soldiers, plus millions of people who had lost everything including their country. All what they had done, was built up through lies and more lies, regretfully they are still some people in the States that believe them and that this is a just a fair war, which according with Saint Thomas Aquinas and other philosophers from all times was quite the opposite

Posted by: Louis W. von Plankenstern | August 13, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

This is a really pathetic bit of journalism. That a former White House staff member ate lunch at a restaurant is not news. Baseless insinuation and reports on how old a retired cabinet member looks has no place in a professional newspaper. Of course he looks old! That's not remarkable! He's 75 and has just spent much of his life working in an astoundingly stressful job. It would be remarkable if he had any youth left in him at all.

I hate Donald Rumsfeld's policies fervently, and I was thrilled that long-overdue day he left the White House, but let's try to maintain a level of professionalism here. This is no better than a tabloid claiming to have heard from somewhat who might have seen someone who thought Lindsay Lohan gained five pounds. You should be ashamed.

Posted by: Geoff | August 13, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing Rummy needed help getting on the escalator and had to have his elbow held by his handlers because he was falling-down drunk. If I had on my conscience what he has on his, I'd stay drunk all the time.

Posted by: Helena Montana | August 14, 2007 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Political life really wears people down. And, Rumsfeld was probably one of the most stressed out politicians in the past decade. He has a lot of weight on his shoulders. I can't imagine being in his position.

Posted by: theo | August 14, 2007 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Totally agree that this is the kind of fluffy crap journalism that thrills audiences one second and then fails to report the actual news the next.

I mean with this kind of real estate why write about this?

Posted by: catfish | August 14, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

What better way to forment the idea he's too old to tesify about what he knew and didn't know about rigging the intel, illegal wars, illegal surveillance, snatching people off street corners like some third world dictatorship might and of course no bid contracts for mercenary armies!

Next, lets hear him speak ... "I don't recall", "I don't recollect", "I don't remember".

Seems to be a lot more effective than pleading the fifth...

Posted by: percolator | August 14, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"Donald Rumsfeld was spotted today having lunch at Morton's on Connecticut Ave," I will be witness to the help a 77 year old person needs to mount an escalator and a 75 year old is just as vulnerable. I cannot speak for the greatest military tactician since Hannibal, bar dying from the anger fit of a jealous husband; I plan to live to 107.

Posted by: Bill Gordon L. Stafford | August 14, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the comments about the value of this article. Is this really news? A former gov't. official has lunch at a restaurant? Just another example of why journalism has gone from substance and value to fluff and sensationalism.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the 'no news' statements above. One of the reasons that this country is 'giving up its Democratic principles,' is because the press is more interested in fluff&gossip, then in real,investigative reporting! A free press! HA!

Posted by: alison | August 14, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Some of you take this blog way too seriously. This blog is not intended to be serious...it's supposed to be light and fun. Relax.

Posted by: CCH | August 14, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: Geoff | August 13, 2007 10:48 PM"

Holy Moly Geoff calm down. My dad is 78, worked as a carpenter all his life, still does odd jobs as a matter of fact, I know I know, carpenters and laborer types don't do the "stressful" stuff like Rummy, but believe it or not, hard physical work can actually do some damage to a body after a lifetime. (See, elbows, knees, backs, etc...)

Anyway, if my dad was seen being helped around town, folks would talk. He's always been seen as a very strong and virile man. I suspect it's the same for Rummy in DC.

Posted by: Henk | August 14, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't care if he's crippled, I'd still like to waterboard the SOB.

Posted by: Brian | August 14, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I've come to expect this from all of the wapo writers,top to bottom. None of them have been the same since fat Albert went down to a court ruling in 2000.

Posted by: Roland | August 14, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Just a very nasty column. When this bit*h is 77 and not in very good health, hope somebody reminds her of this.

Posted by: Increase Mather | August 14, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Someone call the WAH-MBULENCE! The indignant conservatives from Red State are shocked (shocked!) that one of their heroic gods has fallen from the pedestal they placed him on, and is now subject to the same kind of evaluation as mere mortals (like the one Rummy sent to their deaths).

Posted by: Robert S | August 16, 2007 1:09 AM | Report abuse

The most annoying thing about this report is that I regret a lost opportunity. I'd love to run into Rumsfeld, or smilin' Billy Kristol, or Richard "Vampire" Perle, or any of the war criminals in the greater DC area. If I'd seen Rumsfeld, he'd be wearing his entree. And I'd adore the chance to "help" him with some stairs.

Posted by: Death to chickenhawks | August 17, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Keep it up, Mary Ann. If your readers think this is not news, they should watch some TV journalism once in a while. Some of us here in the hinterlands DO think that a Washington personage eating lunch in public is news. I think it would be especially interesting to, say, a wife whose husband is eating MREs in the desert rather than a steak at Morton's.

Posted by: Wendy | August 17, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wendy | August 17, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

One's first step in wisdom is to kuesteon everything - and one's last is to come to terms with everything.

Posted by: Trista Lye | August 21, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse