Will Larry Craig Crash the GOP Fundraiser He Was Uninvited To?

Senate Republican political operatives are biting their nails, worried that Sen. Larry Craig (R-Idaho) is going to crash the National Republican Senatorial Committee's upcoming fundraising retreat in Sea Island, Ga.

Sources tell the Sleuth that Craig RSVP'd "yes" to the event even though Sen. John Ensign (Nev.), chairman of the NRSC, has served as the public pit bull for GOP leaders attacking Craig for his misadventures with
the law in Minnesota. NRSC staff had to telephone Craig's staff and explain that it would be best if Craig weren't at the Nov. 9-11 event, which will draw the NRSC's biggest PAC donors, according to sources.

Craig, who has been burning up his own campaign cash to pay for his legal bills relating to his airport men's room escapade, is definitely not on the attendee list, an NRSC official tells us. But that doesn't mean he won't show up where he's not wanted - he's still in the Senate after all, despite promises to resign.

By Mary Ann Akers  |  October 24, 2007; 10:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rep. DeGette and Bonnie Raitt Bond
Next: Rahm Emanuel Finds Redemption For Potty Mouth

Comments

Install a VIP recreational toilet stall and keep Idaho Senator Larry Craig occupied away from the rest of the un-civilized Republicans that would be allowed to watch Craig's latrine antics via web cams if they were morbid enough!

Posted by: Dangling Wrangler | October 25, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

It would almost be worth giving money to the most corrupt political party in U.S. history (since 1875, the last time the Republicans were the most corrupt political party in American history) to see Mitch McConnell and Trent Lott sputter and gasp when Craig walks in.

Posted by: Electric Bill | October 25, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Oh I do hope he shows up. Larry Craig IS the Republican party.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | October 25, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I do not think Mr. Craig can do any harm to the GOP party. Bush already did that.

Posted by: Marvin | October 25, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

The Senator is now but a footnote, as irrelevant as the last draftee of the NFL.

Posted by: runvapid | October 25, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I hope Craig does show up, with toilet paper stuck to his shoe and mayonnaise on his mouth.

-- Faye Kane, homeless smartmouth. See more of my smartmouth opinions at http://blog.myspace.com/fayekane

Posted by: Faye Kane | October 25, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

this is news? Who cares? the govenator's pleas to the GOP to move towrds the center should be more of a topic of discussion, and how the "religious right" has dominated the Party, and choice of nominees.

Posted by: katem1 | October 25, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Larry Craig is disgusting.

Posted by: Pee Wee Herman | October 25, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I like to do some 'Toe Tapp'in' with Larry Boy.

I'd make his stance just a little wider.

Posted by: Barney Frank | October 25, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

The only reason Craig will show up is if he hears about a good bathroom stall at the airport.
I believe he should be thoroughly investigated for his use of funds for legal defense.
He is a criminal (he pleaded guilty) and should be censured and then removed from the Senate. With all monies used for his public defense reimbursed.
Al Voss Macon, Ga
alvoss06@yahoo.com

Posted by: Al Voss | October 25, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Idaho-mo Craig needs to come out of the proverbial closet.

Get real Larry, you are a packer.

Posted by: Joe Schmo | October 25, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Once I was in a stall next to Larry Craig.

He asked me if I'd ever played a game called "Hide the Idaho Potato."

I asked him to kindly never speak to me again.

Posted by: Frank Jones | October 25, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Ya know what Larry Craig told me when I asked him what date he intended to leave the Senate?

He said he was Stalling.

Ya get it, stall-ing?

BAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA.....

That's not funny.

Posted by: Mitch McConnell | October 25, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't know which is the more pathetic: the GOP, which has ruthlessly kicked one of its own - albeit lesser-known - schlubs to the curb, or Craig, who's recent absurd interview denies reality and common sense.

The irony of this man's situation is colder than a Minneapolis toilet bowl after a winter flush.

Posted by: Bill Johnson | October 25, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Senator Larry Craig is a dignified Republican and should be treated as such. I say he should exercise his every "RIGHT" to attend this GOP function. He fits RIGHT in with the rest of the attendees. How ingenuous of these other Republicans to shun him when he is one of their very own. The GOP should be ashamed of themselves!!! Ya'll deserve each other incuding jr. dick and turd hole blossom. FYI. ya'll should hold this fund raising function at the airport restroom.

Posted by: Rev. Ted Haggart | October 25, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blogenfreude | October 25, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

blogenfreude. That's nothing but sensational gossip. Take me for example, I never had sex with that umh male prostitute and I never took those drugs he sold me. All GOSSIP!!!! I was there just for the massage. I am a man of the church and would never do such reprehensible things. Only Catholics would do those things with young alter boys.

Posted by: Re. Ted Haggart | October 25, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

What Republicans really fear is that investigators will discover that the Senate restroom stall next to Craig's is Cheney's "undisclosed location."

Posted by: sawargos | October 25, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I can not understand how Craig can use money from his campaign fund to pay his legal bill. That should be a ethics violation.

Posted by: zrie014 | October 25, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Larry Craig should definetely attend the GOP NSCC Retreat. They can dispach him to the coat check where he is comfortable--in the closet. Mabye he can also give a tap dancing recital.

Posted by: Dino | October 25, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Larry Craig will take gop down

Posted by: LarryCraig08 | October 25, 2007 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Damn - old style queen gets busted and now he has no friends. Bush/Cheney, true criminals, skate off in to the sunset together, bringing peace and freedom to the world.

Larry doesn't look so bad now, does he?

Posted by: smokinmike | October 26, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Craig is a good Republican, He should bust into that party and ask where the head is.
He with Bush and Cheney can have a threesome. HALE the Republican Party for it is the greatest Pity on earth.

Posted by: confusious | October 26, 2007 7:33 PM | Report abuse

How absurdly preposterous is the fact that someone obsured the reality of their real feelings of sexual gender choice!
If had been truthful regarding this fact would he have been elected to Congress originally? Ergo:an additional qualification for elected office must immediately be submitted as an amendment!If you are vulpine enough to fool all of the people all of the time then you should not be required to tell the truth any of the time!

Posted by: James E Crawford Sr. | October 30, 2007 1:08 AM | Report abuse

The question is: Will Craig wear pumps or stillettos? Since you can't tap dance very well in stilletos, my guess is tap shoes and something right-wing to fit his politics--that perrenial basic black dress.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 30, 2007 3:35 AM | Report abuse