Nancy Pelosi, the Color of Purple, Jeopardy and Communion

The contestant who blew last night's "daily double" question on "Jeopardy" just didn't know her Nancy Pelosi history. (Or her women's suffrage history.)

Having the distinction of shattering one of the last panes in the glass ceiling catapulted Pelosi, the first female House speaker, onto Jeopardy -- not as contestant, but as the subject of the daily double question.

The question in the second round of Wednesday night's show was: At her swearing-in, Speaker Pelosi wore this color (also a longtime symbol of power) as a symbol of the suffragettes.

The contestant, who had waged $2,000 on the $2,000 daily-double question, answered "what is red?"

Sorry, the answer should have been: "what is purple?"

It looked like Pelosi was wearing that purple -- please, dahling, it's aubergine -- suit Wednesday when she kissed the Pope's ring. But her spokesman, Brendan Daly, says her Pope suit was lavender, not aubergine, which looks more like eggplant.

The speaker joined thousands of other Catholics at Nationals Park today to take communion, despite her support of abortion rights and Benedict's claims that pro-abortion rights politicians should not receive Communion. Daly says Pelosi received Communion from one of the hundreds of priests who were recruited to help with the papal Mass.

For more behind-the-scenes coverage of Benedict's visit, check out today's "On the Hill" column in the Loop page of the Washington Post.

By Mary Ann Akers  |  April 17, 2008; 3:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Congressman Tancredo Blasts Pope on His Pro-Immigrant Stance
Next: Bill and Hillary Clinton, "Not-too-Distant" Grandparents?

Comments

Purple Pelosi? Spare me any more of these. This a example of how anything,ANYTHING, can be printed these days. I am submitting my article on the excitement of centipede grass growing - in the dark!
No mas. S'il vous plait.

Posted by: Ken Humphrey | April 17, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

The Pope does not "claim" that certain politicains should not receive communion. He speaks with the authority of His Church and His office. In other words it is a ruling. Of course, getting it inforced is another subject.

Posted by: DANIEL WILLIAM SULLIVAN | April 18, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Dear Ken,

I'd rather read your article on centipede grass growing, at least I'd learn something. I am disgusted with myself for time spent reading that Pelosi column. I feel suckered. Her being the Speaker of the House I thought it might be about something important. Shame on Mary Ann Akers this is no way to make a living.

Posted by: deb | April 18, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Nancy Pelosi lost my respect, she couldn't handle her own Party's problem, I don't care how open her big mouth and speak loudly. Hillary is bigger than bigger men but Nancy is smaller than small men.

Posted by: Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky | April 19, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

I can't say my position any clearer than this:

Add all the current Bosnia, Penn Colombia crap - and a decision isn't that hard.

Posted by: WakeupUSA | April 20, 2008 6:04 AM | Report abuse

if i had the 140-150 IQ to be on Jeopardy....i could care less what Pelosi was wearing....much less what color!!!

Posted by: whocares | April 20, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse