Fossella Gone, But District's GOP Politics Remain Wild

Just because scandal-plagued Rep. Vito Fossella (R-N.Y.) is leaving doesn't mean crazy things aren't still happening in his Staten Island district. They are.

The GOP's top recruit to run in the New York 13th district is facing a challenge from none other than... his own son. His own embittered son, to be sure.

The Staten Island Advance reports Fran Powers is seeking the Libertarian nod to challenge Francis H. Powers, a.k.a. not-so-dear old Dad, who is the likely Republican nominee.

Sounds like Dad thinks Junior is a wild man who couldn't be tamed. The paper quotes the senior Powers, a retired Wall Street executive, as saying he tried unsuccessfully to help his son "live a healthy lifestyle" and "move his life in a positive direction."

Powers the son, who plays in a Staten Island rock band called Box of Crayons and runs an indie record label, told the Advance, "I'm not out here doing heroin. I have a regular life. Do I have a beer? Yes. I'm having one now."

The 47-year-old libertarian added, "I'm not going to say that my dad treated me bad when I was a kid. I know his policies. I'm running against someone I know."

Democrats, who see this -- the year of the Democrat -- as their best shot ever of picking up the only Republican district in New York City, are giddy over the family feud, especially considering Fossella's fate. Fossella, a married Christian conservative who has three children by his wife, had little choice but to announce his retirement last month after getting a DWI and admitting to a long-running extramarital affair and fathering a child with his mistress.

And now comes the Powers family. "This is like watching an episode of Jerry Springer," says Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee spokeswoman Carrie James. "The Bush-McCain Republican agenda is so unpopular that Republican candidates for Congress can't even rely on their own family members for support any more."

By Mary Ann Akers  |  June 6, 2008; 1:40 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: GOP To Award Medal of Distinction to Druggie
Next: Black Group Offended by Delivery of Obama T-Shirt

Comments

Sounds like Jefferson and his family.

Posted by: Jim Gaines | June 6, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Vito's kids from different mothers can run against each other someday and fill the family seat.

Posted by: Larry | June 6, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Carrie please, your comment is nothing more than a lame attempt to link McCain and Bush. The Dems problem is and will remain that they continue to think defensively! They are so quick to tell you everything wrong but have so few ideas of their own. I wont name names but Dem isn't exactly code for Saint.

Posted by: Chas | June 6, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------
Chas you have no clue what you are talking about. The Dems have ideas to shame all of you jingos. Whereas the Repubs got squat.

Posted by: Go Big Blue | June 6, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Applause Larry. I have nothing to offer but applause.

Posted by: Roger Murdock | June 6, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

With all respect, GoBigBlue, no "ATTEMPT" to "link McCain and Bush" is required. McCain and Bush ARE linked, by their partisan affiliation, the policies they advocate, and the perceptions created by McCain's obsequious public embrace of Bush (even AFTER the Bush political machine so viciously trashed and thrashed McCain in the previous campaign). Even a "lame" attempt to establish this link, already obvious to everyone who is paying any attention, would be overkill.

Posted by: Iconoblaster | June 10, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Oops. That should have been directed to Chas. Apologies, GoBigBlue.

Posted by: Iconoblaster | June 10, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The Chimp will carry the day in New York.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse