GOP Sen. Hatch's Ballad to Liberal Buddy Ted Kennedy

Hard to imagine, but conservative Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) stands to play a vital role at the Democratic convention in Denver next month. And it could be a real tearjerker.

Hatch, a songwriter, has written a ballad for the Senate's ultimate liberal lion, his dear old friend and longtime legislative ally, Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.), which Democrats are considering having performed in the Mile High City as a tribute to Kennedy, whose cancer treatment will prevent him from attending.

"Headed Home" is a ballad that touches on Kennedy's life as a sailor and a senator, and is a tribute to his friend, who is suffering from a particularly lethal form of brain cancer. "Ted and Vicki are special people to my wife, Elaine, and I," Hatch tells the Sleuth. "So I wanted to do something to honor him as he is going through this difficult trial."

The 74-year-old conservative Mormon and 76-year-old liberal Catholic developed a close friendship over more than three decades working together on issues ranging from health insurance for poor children, protections for people with disabilities, generic biologics and AIDS. "We've counseled and consoled each other during hard times," Hatch tells the Sleuth. "I attended his mother's funeral in Massachusetts, for instance, and he and his wife, Vicki, flew out to Utah to attend my mother's funeral."

Hatch says the lyrics, which include the words "sailing home," refer to Kennedy's love of sailing off Cape Cod. "The words 'headed home' in the song mean he is headed home to the Senate, where we all are praying for his recovery and eagerly awaiting his return," Hatch says.

Although the ailing Kennedy made a valiant return to the Senate last week to break a Republican filibuster on a Medicare bill, his office has said he's not expected back in the Senate until September.

According to the Boston Globe, which was first to write about Hatch's ballad, Hatch says he was approached by a prominent Democrat who asked him, "Why don't you write a song for the convention for Teddy?" So he did. Hatch says he has talked to Democratic elders about having the song performed in Denver with a montage of photos of Kennedy.

Their bond clearly trumps politics, at least this election season. "During our time serving in the Senate, a grudging respect for each other has given way to a close personal friendship that transcends politics," Hatch added, in comments provided to the Sleuth via his spokesman.

By Mary Ann Akers  |  July 16, 2008; 6:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Glass Ceiling Busters Storm House and Senate
Next: Fannie and Freddie Ready To Drown Their Sorrows

Comments

Ted Kennedy is the biggest sleazebag in the senate and that's saying a lot.
He is a disgrace to the senate, his state,
and the country.

Posted by: bnichols | July 16, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm a staunch Democrat who'd rather vote for a yellow dog on the street than a Republican.

That said, I've also got a lot of respect for Orrin Hatch. He's crossed party lines on immigration, and despite his deep partisanship, has worked hard to give Washington DC a vote in Congress.

I had the pleasure of meeting Ted Kennedy in an informal setting only once. Even though in 2003 he was already starting to show his age, the man also demonstrated class, an incredible ability to express his beliefs, and the sort of charisma that is hard to find among long serving elected officials. With some luck, he'll give us some more of that fire of his for a little bit longer.

Posted by: Ep Sato | July 16, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

The neo-cons on these threads are so lacking in character and civility.
It's amazing.
==
Senator Orrin Hatch is a gentleman.
While not a Democrat, he usually manages to make GOP positions sound like they make sense.
He has been able to cross the aisle often, and had a congenial personal relationship with many current and former members of the Senate and the House, setting partisan politics aside every time.
God bless him for developing this salute to our Senator Kennedy.
(I still remember Kennedy -- so young -- when he campaigned for his brother in 1960 in Houston, Texas at Rice University.)
Kennedy's return to the Senate to vote for the Social Security bill was a moment to remember.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Ted Kennedy is the biggest sleazebag in the senate and that's saying a lot.
He is a disgrace to the senate, his state,
and the country.

Posted by: bnichols | July 16, 2008 7:27 PM

----------------
Show some class you skank!

Posted by: hayden | July 16, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NJ Girl | July 17, 2008 7:20 AM | Report abuse

I've got one! (Sung to the tune "Legend of a Mind" by the Moody Blues):

Senator Ted is Dead...
No, no, no, no
A tumor is in his head...

Posted by: Bobarian | July 17, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I am not a supporter of Ted Kennedy and do think he is a scumbag...having said that, I am a strong supporter of Orrin Hatch as a gentleman. Sen. Hatch's personal respect for the battle that Sen. Kennedy has fought over the years for what he believed in is why I like this tribute. If Sen. Hatch is paying tribute to Sen. Kennedy for his service to the Senate then I can do nothing less myself. May God bless Sen. Kennedy and this fight with cancer.

Posted by: justme | July 17, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Don't feed the trolls. These people commenting with their hateful noise are probably the biggest losers you'd ever want to meet. Kennedy, like all of us, has his mistakes, foibles and failures. Hatch too. The trick is to remember that there is redemption in all humanity. Even the heartless, hateful trolls on this post.

Posted by: Soonerthought | July 17, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Ted Kennedy is an Enemy of the Republic. He is responsible for the murder of 30 million unborn infants (excuse me, "fetal parasites") in this nation, plus one young woman. He has championed the social programs that have kept generations of disadvantaged Americans mired in poverty, despair, and economic slavery, completely dependent upon the government for their survival.

I will not pretend to be saddened by the fact that God has chosen to bless Kennedy with an opportunity to reflect upon his life's work, and to repent and repudiate his evil deeds. I suspect he is beyond redemption, but that is between him and God.

Jesus loves Ted Kennedy. The rest of us think he's an a55hole.

Posted by: Bobarian | July 17, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Great success has always been a bitter pill to swallow for losers. I would like to find 98 more just like these two gentlemen.

Posted by: Bobbie | July 17, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"Senator Kennedy is one of the best Senators to ever have served. During his distinguished career, he has championed and help pass legislation that affects our every day lives. He is a lion in the Senate and I pray that he will be able to return to complete his work."

PLEASE provide SPECIFIC examples of what you are referring to? For a "LION" he has accomplished next to nothing in his 40 years in the senate. Unless you coun't driving a car off a bridge while drunk and leaving a young women in the car to die while he walked back to his hotel room (past a fire station) , called his lawyer and went to sleep.

Posted by: AJVWI | July 17, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

How thoughtful, this musical deed of Sen. Hatch, who in turns deserves his own lyrical tribute:

He carried those conervative views
From the Great Salt Lake to D.C.
So he could shake hands at barbecues
To try for a GOP vote from you or me.

But when his Massachusetts friend,
Ted of Cape Cod, faced a true test,
Then his generosity was without end.
Chipper as Dodd, he gave it his best,

To cheer on the senatorial lion
By commencing harmonically to croon,
Chops on the griddle, hear them fryin'--
Fit as a fiddle Ted will be soon.

Posted by: David McKnight | July 17, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

some of you claim to know hatch's and kennedy's hearts. do you really know them - their hearts? motivations? do you? really?? how?

Posted by: mark | July 17, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Posted by: Bobarian | July 17, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Is there ever a column in the "Sleuth" that didn't originate from another publication. Is that what sleuths do? Read other people's articles and summarize them?

Posted by: Wondering | July 18, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

I personally do not care for Sen. Orin Hatch. I have watched his crusade turn on the DRM and try to police the Internet in so many ways. His public statements about his views clearly showed he was either purchased by the neo-con RIAA, MPAA, etc. or he was totally clueless of what he was talking about. If you don't remember, you can search thru ZDnet News and find his tasteless comments and crusade to turn the Internet into a Third Reich.

That said... I believe he does have a heart after reading this article. I am not a religious freak, but if someone needed blessing... it is these two men!

Now, get back to IMPEACHMENT and the felonies this Administration is responsible for... Impeach them now! Geneva/Prague trials forthcoming! Hanging until dead is still on our law books for being a traitor Mr. Bush and Cheney!!!!!!

Posted by: Ed | July 18, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm always amused by the wet dreams of morons, Ed.

Here's an idea: why don't you simply PAY FOR your Green Day mp3's, then you won't have to worry about the Internet Sturmabteilung breaking down your door at 3am and throwing you into the deepest, darkest dungeon in Grab-an-Arab prison.

Now run along and jerk off to Fahrenheit 911 again, while your mother does your laundry.

Posted by: Bobarian | July 18, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

How can anyone call Ted Kennedy a great man? He was a great politicin. Big difference. Back in the 70's, during the first oil embargo, Ted attended an open forum to discuss happenings. I took my webelo group (that's beyond cub scouts and before boy scouts) to attend as part of earning their civics badge. After the neeting, the webes cane back for cookies and cocoa. I asked them what they thought of their senator. Silence. Just looks between them. I asked again. Ten hands went up with the thunbs down gesture. They all had the same concern. He never answered a question, just talked washingtonian. Ten and eleven year olds could see through his facacde. I do not wish his illness on anyone, including him. But perhaps it's time for some new blood in Washington. Let's just hope it isn't another Kennedy.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

A life cut short. R.I.P.

Posted by: Mary Jo K. | July 18, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

One of the big problems in this country is well expressed on many of the comments here. Orin Hatch and Ted Kennedy have been able to respect each other and their differences of opinion which is really what America is all about. Many of the comments here and crude and insulting to both sides. What a wonderful place this country could be if everyone could emulate these two men in the way they treat each other. To those of you who have no respect for differences - you are the true anti-Americans.

Posted by: saturn | July 18, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

After reading a few of these letters today,
it seems unbelievable there are so many people in this world, with so much HATE.
Both of these Senators have served our country well throughout the years. I hope they will continue doing so, for years ahead.

Posted by: Rusty Spurs | July 18, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me Mr Bobarian that you come awfully close to violating the user agreement of this site. I am hoping someone is monitoring your offensive
and innapropriate remarks. Maybe you don't
know that Christ also said "Love one another as I have loved you" . I am not sure phrases like "jerk Off" or poems about
cancer do anything but add a "playground
bullying" flavor to the site.

Posted by: Mcwriter | July 18, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

In respect to comments posted by Hayden and Bobarian ,Do these (gentle)men really know what a sleazebag is? It is simple,go infront of a mirror ,walla they got the answer.Kenneddy is a great man and a great politician.Good health to him

Posted by: Dave | July 19, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Ted is supporting another one like Himself. But I wish Him full recovery. I truly wish HIM well.
On the other side of His life story, He is not so nice guy, and responsible for death of this young and pregnant with Him woman. He is murderer, and He never pay for, because Kennedys cover up, because their wealth!!!

I will like to know, what people like , parents of this young lady thinks about Kennedy, and all those who truly know about the real Ted????

Posted by: Mandi09 | July 19, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Bobarian's (and others') comments are examples of "profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material" and should have been removed from this site. Characterizing other's posts as the "wet dreams of morons," and resorting to language ; "run along and jerk off .. ." not to mention the sprinkling of "sleazebag" and "scumbag" comments make two things clear:
1. Some folks posting here are so language-challenged that they can only express themselves through adolescent sexual references; and
2. The keepers of this post don't recognize "profanity or "personal attacks" when they're looking directly at them.

Yuck. I'm going elsewhere.

Posted by: lullabelle | July 19, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Lullabelle, McWriter:

When dealing with adolescents, adolescent references are in order. I find it curious that you object to my polemic rebuttal, yet you evidently find it completely acceptable for someone to express their desire to see our honorable President "hanging until dead."

Dave:
"Walla" is a word used by gaytarded Americans who don't know any foreign languages and barely know their own. The correct word they are looking for is "voilà", an interjection used to indicate success, which loosely translates as "here it is", or similiar meanings.

Of course, the word voilà properly pronounced in French sounds a bit like "vWAH-la", but with the "v" in front pronounced softly, almost like an "f".

Being stupid Americans though, they can't pronounce anything which doesn't sound 100% English (not that they can pronounce English either) so in their incredibly lazy way, they don't even try to pronounce it correctly.

Now, to keep this on topic:
I would say that Ted Kennedy, (in fact, the entire Kennedy clan) is white trash, but that would not be fair to white trash. I will not mourn his passing.

Posted by: Bobarian | July 19, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Here's to Senator Kennedy
Long May You Run!

http;//www.iconsiglio.blogspot.com

dePaul Consiglio
15 Monsey Blvd
Monsey NY. 10952

Posted by: dePaul Consiglio | July 20, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

this is the first time I scrolled through to read comments on one of these "sleuth" posts.... A couple of observations:

1) wondering is right ....what is "sleuthing" about summarizing AP articles?

2) The comments of several (especially bobarian) are hateful, rude, inappropriate, and disgusting... much, much worse than what i see on other blogs ....(but then again, I don't go to many 'hate' sites...)

Posted by: matt | July 21, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I first came in contact with Ted Kennedy nearly 35 years ago. It was 20 years ago that I first came to know Orrin Hatch. I know Senator Hatch better, but I have always been thrilled to see the friendship that has developed between two men who strive to serve us well. If we can reclaim more of this in this great land of ours -- more of this willingness to work together to make our nation better -- then I feel good about the future for my 14 grandchildren, including one who was just born yesterday. Thank you Orrin and Ted. You both remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Posted by: rksmith | July 21, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

This is a beautiful expression of hands and hearts reaching out to the opposite side. It would be nice if all politicians could be like this. Hooray for Senator Hatch and courage and love to Senator Kennedy. Bless them both...

Posted by: Margaret King | July 21, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Senator Kennedy will soon meet the grim reaper. Good! I'd like to be a fly on the wall when he meets St Pete! I wonder how many women the Kennedy Bros passed to each other? He personifies the portrait in "The Picture of Dorian Gray!" Obese, ugly, etc. I wonder how that portrait in his attic looks like right now?

Posted by: Mmarquez | July 22, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I have observed politics since the 60's; and I have never seen a liberal or a Democrat make a similar gesture to what Orrin Hatch is making towards Teddy Kennedy.

It just demonstrates that liberal politicians and Democrat office holders are a lot more mean-spirited than conservatives and Republicans. That is just one of the reasons Democrat politicians are better at politics, but not better people.

The left gives no quarter, shows no compassion, and knows no mercy on the battlefield of electoral politics. I have a feeling that some of the responses to this post will demonstrate this.

I have disagreed with Kennedy over the years, but humanity trumps politics.

Posted by: Richard | July 22, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Bobarian...come on now, no need for that tone on this board - seriously, I probably don't agree with your politics, but it would be might ignorant of me to sling mud at you without having met you...

I know this is a non sequitor, but with regards to the Mp3 issue - I think what Ed is driving at is that its not as black and white and issue as politicians like Hatch seem to think it is...yes, people should pay for SOME music, yes stealing is bad, but the free distribution of content allowed by the internet has, contrary to what the Major labels will say, benifitted both listeners and independent artists (such as myself immensely)...bills which penalize downloaders harshy and outright cause more harm than good - do some reading and talk to some musicians before posting such uninformed and unneccessarily insulting comments.

Posted by: Dave | July 22, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse