Detroit Mayor Kilpatrick Hopes to be Untethered to Attend Dem Convention

UPDATE: The Obama campaign has made it perfectly clear they don't want Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick showing up at the convention and embarrassing Democrats further. "The focus of our convention to people back in Michigan should be on Barack Obama and how the party intends to get America back on track, not a distraction involving the troubles of one individual," says Brent Colburn, the Obama campaign's Michigan communications director.

For a fleeting moment today, it appeared the mayor might actually be free to attend the convention. But after a battle of the judges, the prevailing judge ordered Kilpatrick to keep his electronic tether around his ankle and stay put in Detroit.

ORIGINAL POSTING: Detroit's embattled mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick, a superdelegate to the Democratic National Convention, is holding out the possibility that he'll actually be able to go to Denver this month. In other words, the Hip-Hop mayor could get a new nickname: the Most Unwanted Man at the Convention. (Besides maybe John Edwards.)

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick
Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick gives the victory sign as he arrives at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center Aug. 8 in Detroit. (AP Photo/Detroit Free-Press, William Archie)

Even though he's currently wearing an electronic tether that prevents him from traveling outside the Detroit area, Kilpatrick hopes a judge will grant him permission to fulfill his superdelegate duty of nominating Barack Obama for president at his party's convention, the start of which is just a week and-a-half away.

Asked whether the mayor will be attending the Denver convention, Kilpatrick spokeswoman Denise Tolliver told the Sleuth, "We're not sure yet." She said the mayor was waiting to see what happens on Thursday, when he's scheduled to be arraigned on felony charges of perjury and obstruction of justice, and on Friday, when he's due to appear in court on separate assault charges.

"He would have to get permission from the judge" in order to travel to Denver, Tolliver said. "I know that is something [his attorneys] are working on now."

Even if the mayor can't make it to Denver, his mother, Rep. Carolyn Kilpatrick (D-Mich.), who is also a superdelegate, definitely intends to be there. Something tells us the mayor's mom won't be seated in the background when the cameras are trained on Obama during his historic acceptance speech Aug. 28 at Mile High stadium.

Ditto for the mayor, if he does somehow convince the judge to let him breathe in a little Colorado mountain air and cast his vote for Obama before the potentially career-ending date of Sept. 3 -- when Gov. Jennifer Granholm has scheduled a hearing on whether to remove Kilpatrick from office.

By Mary Ann Akers  |  August 13, 2008; 5:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Party Time '08 Update: Kayne, Daughtry, Scotch and Cigars
Next: Walter Jones, From Freedom Fries to Anti-Bush Tomes

Comments

Thanks for providing this info, Post. I couldn't believe Kwame would simply accept being kept away from the convention by his pesky legal problems. From the standpoint of spectacle, I sincerely hope he can attend (Most Unwanted Man at the Convention, indeed). This alone would make me watch Dems convention coverage.

Posted by: bfish | August 13, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

The Kilpatricks should conveniently "get sick" and have someone else represent them at the convention.

Talk about stupid politicians unable to navigate the 100% predictable MSM!

Posted by: JBE | August 13, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Mr. Kilpatrick is imature.

Posted by: Phil | August 13, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling that all Obama has to is offer the judge in the Mayor's case a fedaral judgeship for not alowing the mayor to travel.

Case closed

Posted by: wanago bob | August 13, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

This man should be far far far away from the convention.

He will only serve as a distraction.

Posted by: FauxFoxFurFlies | August 13, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

This idiot is a super delegate
WOW

Posted by: Dan | August 13, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I hope he gets to go, then the world will see what kind of people support Obama, although the racist wright haden't done anything to Obama, I'm hoping that enough of these racist will eventually wake people up.

Posted by: River | August 13, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Kwame Kilpatrick makes me so proud! I can't wait for more "change" in america.

Posted by: Rosa Parks | August 13, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

If I were Sen. Obama, I'd be concerned about the implications of having someone like Mr. Kilpatrick nominate me. I'd hate to give the PR people the opportunity to start down the "birds of a feather..." pathway. The smartest thing Sen. Obama could do is tell Kilpatrick to stay away.

Posted by: Wilson | August 13, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a fan of the whole super-delegate system (which is at heart the Democratic party's mechanism for overruling the people's vote, if the vote is close and the party wheels don't like the winner). I'd be delighted to see Kwame Kilpatrick go to Denver and make even more of a mockery of the super-delegate system.

Posted by: DisFisCon | August 13, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

funny funny. Let him go or let him give his superdelegate duties over to ludacris. I as an african american female I am very disappointed in Obama's supporters. I cant beleive what kind of people support him, as a side note in that picture it looks like the good mayor has been using steroids has anyone tested him? His head looks a little samll for his big body.

Posted by: rachel | August 13, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

This piece of trash fits well within the democRAT establishment.

Posted by: Toxic Avenger | August 13, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Nothing wrong with having another liar at the party. Yo, dawg! Yo party yo!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Ahh! Welcome Mr. Ralph Reed!

Come on right-wingers, your pretty boy, preacher man, "I love the Republican party, Abramoff, corruption and all."

A weasy littl punk who proclaims, "Kill the women but save their babies" is about to step, front and center, onto McCain's political stage.

Kilpatrick's male prowess should have nothing to do with him not attending the Democratic convention. It's not going to keep McCain from his convention; look how he's beaten up Cindy. How do you get a swollen face from a sprained wrist?

Posted by: Reggie Boykins | August 14, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Guess what? A Detroit judge just ruled that Kilpatrick's tether can be removed and that he can go to Denver! Who will stop this arrogant man?

Posted by: OutofState | August 14, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

The the judge just ruled here in Detroit, that he can be untethered and go to the convention-unbelievable

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

This man's ego knows no limits. The LAST place he should be is at the Democratic convention.

Posted by: Karolyn | August 14, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Kwame is just another example of the riff raff embraced by the extreme liberals in the Democrat party. He's a disgrace.

Posted by: Kat | August 15, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Let him go and seat him beside the reverend Wright, and John Edwards.. they can vote as a block...

Posted by: anonnen | August 15, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

God, I hope so!

Posted by: charliemac | August 15, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Let him go by all means. The whole world knows about Detroit. I know. I am an ex Detroiter. We ran when Colman Young won the mayorial election and are very glad we did. What happened to Detroit is very sad to say the least. When I have to go back there for any reason I cry. The area where I once lived looks like a bombed out city. I don't understand those people at all. I feel very sorry for those who have to live there. I would just like to understand why. The tears are starting now. I loved Detroit. I was born and lived there for thirty-seven years. It's my home town.

Posted by: ldt1930 | August 15, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

@ anonnen 9:36 am

Reverend Wright, John Edwards, and Kwame Kilpatrick will more probably vote, not as a bloc, as much as they will as blockheads.

Posted by: Buckaroo | August 15, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

is all of obamas friends criminals sure looks like it i hope he gets to go people need to see the type of people obama hangs around with racist and un-american criminals

Posted by: dixieb | August 15, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

This is Communist America! A Paleolitic savage ghetto ape is permitted to hep install a slightly more polished version of himself...

The USA - RIP. America has gone Afreakan. Thanks Tribe!

Posted by: PearlGirl | August 16, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

It was the judgmental people like you all that crucified my Lord & Savior Jesus Christ. He hung on the cross dying for the sins of those who were crucifing him. You can give your lives to Jesus today because he lives and loves each of you.
your friend in Jesus Christ

Posted by: A Christian | August 18, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Kilpatrick is an idiot. He should not appear at the convention. The Mom and little dumbo should send a representative.
Obama does not need this type of publicity over shadowing the convention. Enough already with Wright, Edwards, Fegher, the Irish Priest from Chicago, and Jackson. None of these people should appear.

Posted by: Mim | August 19, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Kwame and Mom should be encouraged to PHONE it in.

Posted by: Lynne | August 19, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Going to Chimpfest '08 is a Constitutional Right!

Posted by: Tom3 | August 20, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

UNTETHERED? You filthy racist sow, how could you describe this man, an upstanding African American man as unteathered? You use the language of slavery to enslave him yet again. How dare you you racist sow. Say that to his face. You should be teathered and tarred and feathered and sold to the Arabs as a slave you evil WHITE oppressor.

Posted by: Pat | August 20, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse