Movie Star Kerry Washington: Southern Men Need Not Apply

Rep. Artur Davis (D-Ala.), one of his party's fastest rising stars and a prominent surrogate for Barack Obama, drew attention last year when he openly flirted with silver screen beauty Kerry Washington at a hearing (at which he was requesting funding for a sewer project, no less).

When the Sleuth ran into Washington Tuesday night at a late-night convention party, we asked the single 31-year-old movie star if she'd be interested in dating Congressman Davis.

"I'm not really into Southern men," Washington said, flashing her million-dollar smile.

Ouch.

Note to Davis: Next time you hit on a woman, leave sewers out of it!

By Mary Ann Akers  |  August 27, 2008; 8:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Heath Shuler Finds He's Better at Bat Than Passing On Field
Next: Kerry's Moment of Unity With Swift Boat Financier Pickens

Comments

It would seem that when open flirtation
becomes the dynamicism between Politics
and Hollywood that either one or the
other have lost focus. If Rep. Artur Davis
finds star Kelly Washington worth flirting
with then we on the side of upright sensibility can say that there needs to be a higher standard for Representatives in Congress who hail from the Democratic Party. Ms. Washington may have found Rep. Davis worth flirting with if he hailed from another state says the inference. I wonder if she has ever been to Alabama. Some people on the conservative side may wonder if Rep. Davis has ever been there either. Open flirting to some is a harmless pasttime reserved for the Southern Tradition. Rep. Davis may concur then again he may not. The evidence is clear that marriage is a sacred trust and ought not be tampered with from the auspice of profligacy or a lack or moral restraint. Those with an understanding of what makes marriages fail may say that open flirting ought be reserved for those with a more established heart than one who would take unnecessary risks in their environment. We can only say that if the evidence is true that we can judge only the evidence itself.

Posted by: Barry Fitz | August 27, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Washington has not met the right Southern Gentleman.

Posted by: joey | August 28, 2008 5:43 AM | Report abuse

Congress funding sewer projects... it's so very appropriate, completely outside the purview of the federal government but a perfect symbol of what Congress is.

Posted by: Jane | August 28, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I don't know who Kerry Washington is, but as a 'southern man' I'll have to make sure that I don't attend any of her movies. I'm not really into self-absorbed little actresses.

Posted by: Roddy | August 28, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Barry Fitz -- it is much better to be caught in a restroom trying to solicit homosexual sex than openly flirting with an attractive woman. I suppose that is why you are a Republican.

Posted by: Sandy | August 28, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I have seen some of her movies and although she has the same atributes as some not so almost famous women I meet on the street here in the south. Let me say that aside from the peanut butter & jelly roles she plays; my 3 legged dog Tripod would get an Oscar for acting before she would get nominated. Then she may win Best Dog!

Posted by: kowboi | August 28, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Tell it Kerry! And there are plenty of good reasons too!

Posted by: thebob.bob | August 28, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I like to rape chickens

Posted by: Sandy | August 28, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

This is america! I thought we all had to freedom for opinions. You don't even know her reason for responding the way he did. Some men are so persistent in hitting on women that we have to be creative in rejecting to avoid confrontation. Think about that....

Posted by: Manetric | August 28, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse