Fred and Jeri Thompson, Not Entirely First Class

A star-spangled Fred Thompson, the former presidential candidate, and his wife, Jeri, flew back from St. Paul to Washington today -- he in first class, she in coach; he in a red, white and blue top hat, she hatless.

hat
Nothing says 'convention' like a huge, American top hat.

Thompson, who spoke Tuesday night at the GOP convention, was spotted at the gate of his Northwest flight in the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport wearing a "huge" American flag-themed top hat, according a reliable Sleuth informant who took the same flight. You know the hat, the kind you often seen on the floor at political conventions -- like this one.

The actor and former Republican senator from Tennessee was "goofing around" at the gate in his hat, then reading the paper as wife Jeri chatted up Fox News host Greta Van Sustern.

Why did Fred fly first class while the wife flew coach? Mrs. Thompson apparently had to change her return flight at the last minute and the airline didn't have an available seat in first class.

Others on the packed flight to Washington's Reagan National airport saw Thompson stroll back to the common folks' cabin during the flight. He commented that his wife had more leg room back there that he did in first class. (Jeri sat in seat 16E, which is a bulk head seat, and does have lots of leg room.)

Maybe he'll be a gent and give his wife the first-class seat next time.

By Mary Ann Akers  |  September 5, 2008; 3:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Media Elite Heading Back East
Next: What About Bush Makes Sen. Coleman So Flustered?

Comments

He's 6'6" and maybe assumed that coach would have less leg room??

Posted by: RFB | September 5, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

As someone whom is of similar size to Mr. Thomson, I wish I could afford to fly first class as often as he does. I am sure his wife is a much smaller person than he, and it just made from a proportional standpoint that he took the wider seat with more leg room :)

Posted by: Mark | September 5, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

would that be sexist...to suggest that a woman is not stong enough to get her own 1st class seat?

Posted by: wm owens | September 5, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

wow this report is stupid

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

AND your point is?

Posted by: hb | September 5, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I agree. What is your point? Is that all you Liberals can think of? Stupid article!

Posted by: ELA | September 6, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Well, he's not a real smart fella, but he played one on TV...

But almost every word out of his mouth at the Convention was untrue... not that the party faithful have the collective wits to know that.

Posted by: OldUncleTom | September 6, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OldUncleTom | September 6, 2008 12:25 AM

Dear OldUncleTom,
Hhmm..I watched and listened to his speech at the RNC, and I didnt note any untruths from Fred. Are you certain you arent confused? It would be easy to be overwhelmed by all the untruths in the media coverage regards anything Republican and maybe you began to think that everyone, including good ol Fred was just in on it as well.
Note to you: Not everyone is a Clinton, or a Kerry, or a Jesse Jackson. Fred Thompson didnt lie during his speech, he doesnt have to.
Look, God loves you. Come back to him, and you wont feel like being honest is a lie anymore. You'll be spiritually reborn and walk in Grace..its a wonderful place. As for the lying thing, take a shower (real well) and you will just feel those democratic cooties go right down the drain.
You'll feel good again.

Posted by: Young(and handsome) Uncle Joe | September 6, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Dear Old Fred, our sincere former Senator. How proud he must be to toe-to-the-party-line at the RNC, as always. Why even back in the Nixonian Empire, he believed (just as McCain does) in party first, which by the way sounds to be a more truthful name for this years RNC, because when they use the word country they do not really mean the USA, they mean the Republican Party. Everyone needs to read this article before swooning over the man who pushed for Bush to pardon I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby.

Thompson was Mole for Nixon White House
Not All Would Put a Heroic Sheen on Thompson's Watergate Role
By Michael Kranish
The Boston Globe
(http://www.truthout.org/article/thompson-was-mole-nixon-white-house) After reading it you should be able to figure out how with prior notice that the Watergate Tapes were going to be sought by the committee to impeach Nixon and see what kind of heights good old Fred would and will go to in order to protect the image of his party. He actually believed NIXON was some kind of hero. Just go to the website and read it.

Posted by: Keep Fred, TN doesn't need him | September 6, 2008 2:07 AM | Report abuse

Dear OldFred,

You are so 1960's. Nixon did two things todays libs. won't acknowledge: 1. He got us out of Vietnam (Remember Johnson that old manipulative Democrat kept us in - AKA, the Dick Cheney of the 1960's ) and he started an agency most Demos LOVE- The EPA.

So go light on Tricky Dick- Oh and one more thing he did for an individual- He made Bob Woodward's career! The best thing about Nixon? His wife Pat and his daughters.

Posted by: old timer | September 6, 2008 4:51 AM | Report abuse

He should pull that hideous thing over his hideous facelift. You could still hear his nice voice tell a bunch of lies and not be distracted by the Joker smile stretched into his flesh. Why is it that Republican "family values" Politicians always get rid of their old wives? Newt Gingrich makes a commercial defending marriage and he divorced his first while she had cancer, cheated on his second and is on his third. Hypocrites. One and all.

Posted by: Janet | September 6, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Does Akers actually get PAID for this? Truly amazing that WaPo would eliminate jobs from its newsroom but keep this useless trash.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | September 6, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

The Anchorage Daily News ran an interesting article about Sarah Palin recently that I think all voters should read because it gives you a VERY good clue as to who she is. The city librarian was asked to remove certain books from the library. When she refused, she received a letter that she would be fired.
It is disturbing that a person who chooses to ban reading material approved by the National Library Assoc., in promoting her religious views is being considered as VP of USA.
WE CAN'T LET THIS HAPPEN.

Posted by: Patricia | September 6, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

This is what this liberal rag is writing these days? Hey, call OPRAH- maybe she'll put this story on her show.

Ridiculous

Posted by: Ummmmm | September 6, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

This article really is a waste of ethernet. That Thompson should give his seat up to his wife is rank sexism.

Posted by: Ken | September 6, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Fred Thompson first class? Wife in coach? Well, we always knew he was shabby, but now we know how much. Let's hope she files for divorce next week and sues him for millions.

Posted by: David S. Robins | September 7, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

I know Jeri, and I know Fred, and I love them both. But if I had to fly from Minneapolis to DC (and I always fly coach), I'd sure prefer sitting next to Jeri than Fred!

Posted by: Mike Collins in DC | September 7, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

You'll feel good again.

Posted by: Young(and handsome) Uncle Joe
--------------------
This is just another example why most of America will not be fooled again this time by you religious nut jobs. Palin will sink not because she is one, but because like most of you egg heads you would not know truth if it bit you in the a$$.

Posted by: patrick nyc | September 7, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Old Timer====yeah, Nixon got us out all right. First he got another 25,000 troops killed and let it go on five years and he had us all the way into Cambodia and then he declared victory and got out of the fighting, but within 2 years after American troops quit fighting Viet Nam was lost. But the Republicans blame it on the Democrats. They say the Democrats lost that war, but it was Nixon who signed off on it. He was president that signed the peace agreement and Ford was president when the roof fell in.

Posted by: THIS JUST IN | September 7, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

So lazy Fred Thompson hogged the first class seat. This does not surprise me somehow. What does surprise me is that he found the energy to mosey back to the coach section to check on her. Perhaps he thought he wouldn't get lucky at home if he didn't? Or more likely he had to use the rest room. I was glad that lazy Fred was able to rouse himself to make a good speech at the RNC, but I hate to think what it would be like if he had somehow won the nomination.

Posted by: GreatDarkSpot | September 7, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Just a small point, but I think Greta's last name is spelled "Van Susteren." Don't know much about her, but I think she's from Wisconsin, and that's how we spell it here.

I thought I heard Fred had a "trophy" wife. If so, I don't think flying coach is likely to keep the trophy happy. But it's nice to know that even a republican presidential candidate and wife have to succumb to the vagaries of commercial airlines, sort of like, pardon the expression, common people.

Posted by: bulldog6 | September 7, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Is the real question for Senator Fred Thompson of Tennesee this year "Will I wind up like Senator Gopher aka
pseudo-senator Fred Grandy, and demoted to being a four term congressman"?
Or should he ask the obvious and that is
"If Jesus was an American would he vote for Me or that other guy"? If he was running for anything that is. Not Jesus but Mr Thompson.
One more question Mr Thompson might want to aks anyone including himself or even rhetorically and that is "If Franz Kafka was a born again spirit here in America would he be Chevy Chase or would he choose to be someone else and if someone else then who would Fred Thompson believe he would want to be? George Bush III? He's a comedian. But is he Franz Kafka? Hell he's not even born yet let alone again. George Bush III that is. Must run in the family.

Sincerely
dePaul Consiglio

PS I'not a Republican and I eat French Fries and I know that they were invented in Paris Texas.
Silly me I have to go.
Thanks.

Posted by: dePaul Consiglio NYMETROCITYSTATE | September 8, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

I watched Fred and Lindsey speak at the RNC.
All I really saw was arrogance. Everything about them radiated self-importance. Both of these guys would probably be in a McCain cabinet.(Along with, of course, Lieberman)
That's enough for me to vote the other way!

Posted by: deerfly | September 8, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Has Fred Thompson cleared that frog out of his throat? It seemed to be bothering him during his speech at the convention.

Posted by: Tonio | September 8, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

By the way, it's GRETA VAN FACE TIGHTENING.

I haven't seen lips move like that since CLUTCH CARGO!

Posted by: Pat English | September 8, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Richard Nixon ran on a secret plan to get us out of Vietnam in six months.

Six years later, Gerald Ford got us out of Vietnam.

Posted by: ArkieBoy | September 8, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Slow news day?

Posted by: Stephen A | September 8, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Is this the Washington Post or did I stumble upon The Enquirer accidentally. In other news, Michelle Obama uses Keri lotion and Sarah Palin once ate escargot.

Posted by: Elizabeth | September 8, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"Knock Knock"
"who is there?
"Moosama Bama, Sarah Dhamer Palin ate my Momma."
What?"
Sarah Dhamer Palin ate my Moose Mamma...she gives white woman a reason to vote against Obama. She illustrate the point very clearly that it is not about experience that give many American pause, but the color of this man's skin. No one really question Edwards experience and readiness to run for the Presidency. For Obama- the colour of his skin is a two edge sword.

Posted by: Moosama | September 8, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

What -is- stupid is that a Washington insider who ran as a supposed outsider. The American people - most of us - are not stupid or unaware. And most of us do not accept everything a socially promoted, mediocre joe average tells us as the 'gospel' without bothering to fact-check themselves.
What is also 'interesting' is that some conservatives didn't and don't speak up when we've been lied to and when classified information was released ad naseum by the current Administration though when they do speak up, its to slam a clearly 'behind the scenes/inner workings' column which does not purport to be definitively news worthy as opposed to the supposedly fair and balanced Fox 'news' channel which in and of itself is evidence of no overwhelming liberal media bias (just ask the Tribune who won when Truman ran against Dewey!)

Posted by: Marc Feldstein | September 8, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Uh, why is this important? Or even relevant? "Behind the scenes," indeed. The Post actually pays someone to write this tripe?

Posted by: KOB1 | September 8, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I was in the same situation with my wife recently. Due to an airline snafu, I got a first class upgrade while my wife was stuck in coach. Unlike Fred, I gave the first class seat to my wife. I didn't want to sleep in the garage that night.

Posted by: Philm35 | September 8, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

WoW...those lying arse Rethuglicans don't respect their women worth a darn! Especially those old goats! Well...his wife is lucky that he didn't yell out "Wow, this c$unt have more leg room space flying coach than my lucky old dumb arse has riding 1st class!"

What a looser....I am glad that I don't date rethuglicans! lol!!

Posted by: Classless! | September 8, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

WoW what rethuglican men treat their women awfully bad. They are some real disrespectful old goats! Well I guess his wife is lucky that old Freddie boy didn't walk to the back and said "Wow, this cu$nt have more leg room in coach than my old arse have in 1st class!" That is what they call their wives...What a classless, clueless, lying arse old goat!

Posted by: Classless! | September 8, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Fred will sue? I mean, after all, he just spoke for the repubs and to put his wife in second class - whom might he sue? me or you? How disconnected from reality is Fred?

Posted by: aaman | September 8, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow, if my husband did that I'd be ticked off!!! So much for the "Southern gentleman" schtick. Guess it's just made for TV.

Posted by: Southern Beale | September 9, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

This is the first time that i have heard the words "Fred Thompson" and "first class" in the same sentemce.

Posted by: CHOPPER1 | September 9, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Gosh! The Washington Post must be desperate to fill their pages. This article is nonsense, and many of these posts are even more ridiculus.

Posted by: arm | September 9, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I think I would have either given my wife the 1st class seat or given the 1st class seat to the person sitting next to my wife so I could sit with her.

Posted by: Carmine | September 9, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

At 6'6" does Fred have a wide stance - without having a wide stance? A little cogitation is need here.

Posted by: bud malone | September 9, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

You're so amusing, and so shallow. Try blogging about something worth reading sometime.

Posted by: Babs | September 10, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

OMG CANT THE MAN AFFORD FIRST CLASS FOR HIS WIFE....I HAVE A BOSS THAT IS TALL AND WOULD GIVE UP HIS SEAT FOR HIS WIFE.

Posted by: BECKY | September 10, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Mary Ann just wishes she could take it in the arse from Fred Thompson.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse