Obama Is the Only Aspirin for Doomed Inaugural Ticket Holders

As if the new president didn't have enough crises already, now comes this: more and more victims of Inauguration Day's purple tunnel debacle are demanding a chance to see President Obama at the White House to make up for getting shut out of history.

And if the White House is an unreasonable venue for a disgruntled group of folks that probably numbers over 10,000, they propose the Verizon Center or Nationals Park, whatever works, as long as they get to see Obama, a right they feel they were denied on Jan. 20 when their purple, blue and silver inaugural tickets were worthless and many were forced to spend endless hours in a tunnel underground.

White House officials say this idea is news to them.

Deputy White House press secretary Josh Earnest tells the Sleuth, "While this suggestion hasn't been raised with us, we're certainly sympathetic to those who missed the Capitol Hill swearing-in ceremony and hopeful that Capitol Hill officials can get to the bottom of this situation and prevent it from occurring again."

In other words, the ticket fiasco was the fault of congressional officials who were in charge of the swearing-in ceremony - not Obama's President Inaugural Committee. (Earnest was the chief spokesman for the PIC.)

Indeed, the congressional official ultimately responsible for the security snafu, Senate Sergeant-at-arms Terrance Gainer, spent more than an hour Tuesday apologizing and fielding questions on the Survivors of the Purple Tunnel of Doom Facebook page.

He was asked repeatedly by different members of the group what he thought of the idea of letting them attend an event or, more realistically, a series of small events at the White House. Gainer never answered the question online but indicated later in a phone call that he didn't see a downside.

"From a security standpoint, it could happen," Gainer told the Sleuth. "It's theoretically possible." (Of course, that headache would then belong to the Secret Service.)

During yesterday's late afternoon Facebook session with Gainer, here's how Hank Bennett of the District of Columbia, a member of the purple tunnel group, proposed compensating the doomed ticket holders:

"I recommend that you work with the President to set up another event at a DC location, like the Verizon Center or the new Nationals Baseball Stadium, where the President Barack Obama stops by and talks to those who had Purple tickets. He would only need to stop by for an hour or two. He could give a speech, shake hands, take photos, etc."

Bennett asked Gainer to "take this and other ideas to the President personally."

Several other members of the group seconded the idea of a White House reception or some other event attended by the president.

And given how powerful the online grassroots army has been so far in forcing action on the inauguration security snafu - apologies and retractions from the highest echelons of authority on Capitol Hill, a joint law-enforcement investigation of the meltdown, etc. - we have a feeling they won't let up until their White House invitations arrive.

By Mary Ann Akers  |  January 28, 2009; 11:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gainer To Doomed Ticket Holders: Tunnel Was a Mistake
Next: Purple Tickets and Broken Hearts, Still Pining for Obama

Comments

Ok, this is getting a bit silly. I was a silver ticket holder who did not make it in. Yes, I was upset to have missed the opportunity. Nevertheless, the President has more important things to worry about than my less than ideal experience at the Inauguration. Those demanding the President to put everything on hold to attend to thier relatively petty interests should be ashamed of themselves. We elected Obama to fix national issues, not to jump every time a few inidividals don't get what they think they deserve.

Moreover, I think it is worth noting that being awarded a purple or blue ticket was not a guarantee that the ticket holder would be able to view the ceremony. There were many views from the blue and purple ticketed areas that were obstructed by trees, platforms and other structures. Thus, some of those demanding a private audience with the President are seeking a windfall opportunity that they likely would not have been afforded had they not been shut out of the ticketed area.

We hear your pain. We are sympathetic. It is, however, time to get over it.

Posted by: staxnet | January 28, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I was a silver ticket holder and was not able to get past the crowd outside the federal metro center. I got as far as being able to see the silver gate sign.
So, yes I was upset but this is getting stupid.
The purple tunnel people were not the only ones to be cut out. Was purple better than silver? I doubt it. We all worked hard to get Obama elected.
So get over it. And just who would get in to see Obama?? Just purple cause they yelled the most??
Give it a rest.
The only thing I would like to see happen is that Garnier gets fired for his stupid comments and inept handling of what was a dangerous situation.

Posted by: lgb2931 | January 28, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I was an unlucky blue ticket holder, who stood in the line for 5 hours and did not get in. Not saying I'd turn down an audience with the president, but frankly I think the national conversation needs to be more focused on the massive job losses and the worsening economic situation our country faces. If he has a chance to meet with business leaders, or economic advisors or members of congress or, uh ME? I think he ought to go with the others.

Posted by: mitchellewS | January 28, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

These whiners need to get a grip.

Watch the damn ceremony on line or buy the DVD. I'm sure some network will replay it on TV in the near future or as a part of a documentary.

Yeah, you braved the weather and were stuck in a tunnel. Boo friggin' hoo! It's over now. You talked to Gainer, Feinstein apologized, you're having multiple agencies use government resources and dollars to conduct investigations into the incident, you got more news coverage than you deserve. Move on with your lives.

The President has actual important things to worry about. You big selfish, self-absorbed babies!

Posted by: drs2008 | January 28, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I am also a ticket holder who did not get in. But I did hear this in President Obama's inaugural address, and I'd like to encourage all to take it to heart:

"It is time to put away childish things."

That means we all need to let the President focus on our critical problems, not kissing our boo boos. The whole ceremony is available on YouTube (and if we had all gotten in, we would not have seen him up close or shaken his hand or anything people are "demanding" now, in any case.)

Let's get on with putting all our energy into the bigger things!

Posted by: ceegee2 | January 28, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

My young daughter and I had blue tickets and did not get in. We worked tirelessly on Obama's campaign throughout last year and planned a trip to the inauguration from the West Coast last April. No question it was a huge disappointment. I welcome the investigation in hopes that ticketed individuals don't have the same experience that we did. I think the best outcome at this point would be ticketed seats on the Capitol grounds at the next inauguration, provided Obama is re-elected.

Posted by: bsoubea | January 28, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Last night I watched a You Tube video of nearly three minutes of the hell at the Blue gate. I was completely horrified and can imagine that anyone in that crowd felt traumatized. That can never happen again and I salute those who are seeking answers to this near-tragedy.

Having said that, I don't support the idea that people "deserve" an audience with the President. If he did that, great. But we all knew the risks. I feared being stuck in Central California due to heavy fog. I feared flight delays or cancellations due to foul weather. I feared not hearing my alarm clock after only getting a few hours of sleep. I feared full parking lots at the Metro stations.

I stepped in a hole on the Mall on Monday, and realized how easily I could have twisted my ankle and missed Tuesday's ceremony. I heeded all the dramatic warnings that came to be true. I knew I could get there too late and miss the whole thing. I also knew that the weather could turn so bad that they'd move the ceremony inside. And, technically, from my vantage point on the Mall near the Smithsonian "Castle," I didn't "witness" the oath of office either. I was dependent on the Jumbotron to mediate the experience for me.

My heart breaks at the treatment and abuse experienced by those in lines and gates. Everyone deserves a heartfelt apology, to hear the truth of what went wrong, and perhaps a letter from the President. But, none of us were guaranteed that we would witness the swearing-in.

Keep the stories coming. They need to be heard. And those in charge need to be held accountable and fired if necessary.

Posted by: Cali711 | January 28, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

The enormity (wicked and evil ) travesty,victims,crisis,disgruntled,shut out,civil rights, entitlement, compensation....Progressive Liberals are loons

Posted by: jackfish | January 28, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

The suggestion that the President "only...stop by for an hour or two" is absurd. President Obama wasn't even on the stage at the Capitol on the 20th for that long.

While this is very unfortunate, it was not the President's fault, and the holders of free tickets (FREE tickets) are not deserving of anything more than a polite and heartful apology from those responsible.

What a weird kerfuffle.

Posted by: s361883 | January 28, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

an update:
let's say the president takes time his busy time trying to save this country and you get to have a bagel with him.
who exactly gets to see him?
only purple ticket people? and who is first in line? and where is that ticket? if you lost it or tore it up, how do you prove you did not get in?
this has gone far enough folks. pack it up and go save your 401k.

Posted by: lgb2931 | January 28, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Here is the perfect solution.
1. The Senate fires Gainer
2. They fire Capitol Chief of Police Morse
3. Senator Feinstein agrees to stand in the tunnel for 8 hours without food or water or a bathroom on the next very cold day!

Posted by: gjspa2 | January 28, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to all the posts today - As a faithful Obama super volunteer who was not lucky enough (or connected enough) to get tickets to the purple ticket tunnel - finally, some perspective. Perhaps the congressional committee could make sure the people who were refused access to the ticketed location receive a CD (or coupon for a CD) of the inauguration ceremony.

An audience with the President? Unless one of you has the solution to the financial crisis, he has better things to do.

Posted by: dpack | January 28, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

We didn't get in, and I would love a chance to visit with our President, but let's get real here. It's ridiculous to expect a private audience with him! I was lucky enough to get to meet him and shake his hand a couple of times early in the campaign but now he's a little busy. I think our politicians are definitely too isolated from the people who elect them, but there's not much we can do about it. I think they should take a page from ancient kings and have one or two days a year where they let the people come speak to them face to face! I wouldn't mind a chance to talk to my congressman and senators once in a while.

Posted by: kateswafford | January 28, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

A "weird kerfuffle" indeed ... downright silly even. I also stood for hours in the Blue ticket line so close to a man I didn't know that surely we should be considered married now. Sure I was sad to miss the big dance. I waited for two hours in line at my Congressman's office Monday to get the tickets, and then went to the south lawn of the Captiol to scope out where we'd be the next day and catch a real live glimpse of our new President. We have awesome tickets I exclaimed to my friends back home in Maine! Not so much, I said in follow up but I was still there. But serioulsy, folks, we actually expect Mr. Obama to invite us over to the White House? Or the Verizon Center? For what? Dinner, beer and BBQ, a movie, dry our tears, a pat on the head...? What? Yes, what happened to us was awful, it stinks, I hate it, but we have a new President we are proud of, we have new excitement in our country, and other countries are once again looking at the USA with opitmism and not disgust. Isn't this what we wanted? Don't we really have the big prize already? We have to let the ticket debacle go, thank Mr. Gainer for his interest, kindness, and concern, and understand that he now gets we weren't "disombobulated," but rather shut out through some weird mixup. We don't need anything more - except possibly to know that this will be a learning experience for four more years should there be such a crush on the mall for the next Inaguration.
Remember, communication, communication, communication!

Posted by: Suzanne14 | January 28, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

So, Mary Ann, is this the career you were hoping for?

Posted by: peterrk | January 28, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

As a blue ticket holder who never made it in, I have to say I think this is getting silly.

The only compensation that would satisfy me is that the entire event is studied to the extent that something like this never recurs.

Posted by: CincyJen | January 28, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

This kind of press is giving all of us concerned with the severe breach of safety and security that occured on inauguration day a bad name. Many of us who were on the facebook chat with Grainer yesterday disagreed with the Hank Bennett's idea for Obama to meet with us. Most of us are intelligent enough to realize that it was not Obama's fault and he has a lot more important things to worry about. Please stop this nonsense about compensation and get back to the point of determining what went wrong and accountablity for those responsible.

Posted by: judityE | January 28, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

If Gainer deserved rebuking before for messing up so badly that he couldn't even get anyone over to the affected gates to tell people what to do, he deserves something substantially more serious for lacking the spine to tell an angry facebook group that their desire for an hour-long pow-wow with the President is absurd.

Yes people, your experience sucked, but mistakes like this are very hard to avoid when you're trying to maintain tight security on an event with literally millions of people. What's more get some perspective please, no one was trampled, the cops didn't rush in and beat you down, and as I understand it you were free to leave the line whenever you wanted, so you weren't "stuck".

Posted by: BenGreen | January 28, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CincyJen | January 28, 2009 2:26 PM

I agree. People are just being tacky at this point.

A private audience?! With everything else we have going on right now?! Are you people serious?

By that logic, all the locals who couldn't attend the proceedings because the area was clogged with visitors should demand the same. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how ridiculous that would be.

Did you completely miss the point of the election? Please stop embarrassing yourselves; there's real work to be done!

Posted by: owl1 | January 28, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I am a blue ticket holder, and I was crushed when I didn't get in to see the Inauguration. I am incredibly disappointed, and feel even worse for people who traveled from far away and spent lots of money to get to DC. But for goodness sake, I do not expect President Obama to do anything to make up for it. He's busy, for crying out loud. The Inaugural Committee, the Capitol Police, and DC Police should be the ones working on this matter. I don't need any souvenirs. I just want some accountability on the part of the people who made the mistakes, and those people are not the ticketholders

Posted by: nfitz10 | January 28, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree that I was a disappointed purple ticket holder. I made the trip by myself, although I actually paid for somebody else to go with me who couldn't go. It sucked being in the tunnel, it sucked being cold and without food, drink or a restroom for 6 hours. It sucked being in the crush of the crowd when we found out for sure at the last minute that we wouldn't be let into the ceremony. It is kind of difficult and embarrassing to have to tell people what happened when they ask how the inauguration was.

This situation is not effecting my life as I have been in crushing crowds before and I met some wonderful people. I am not suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, this situation is not keeping me from eating or sleeping. Life must go on.

I don't want a gathering with the president. He has world economic and security issues to take care of. I don't even want him to have to think of something like this that in the big scheme of things is pretty insignificant compared to worldwide issues.

There are always going to be disappointments in life. This is just one more.

A letter of apology from every member of the committee and a report of what happened is good enough.

Posted by: tcb30 | January 28, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm very sorry that those ticket holders didn't get onto the Capitol for the ceremony, but I'm sure that the ticket holders who did get through weren't treated to photo ops, trips to the White House or handshakes/autographs from the President as what is being proposed by those who missed out.

I suspect that there were more tickets given out than space for those ticket holders. Also, if people didn't allow ample time to get through the security check points, then they probably got stuck in those lines during the events of the day.

While I certainly can understand their bitter disappointment, especially with respect to the expense many of them incurred, it was known for weeks that a very high number of people would possibly make the trek to DC for this event and advanced plannng was crucial to assure that the day went as smoothly as possible for those visiting DC.

Furthermore, I think organizing a grassroots effort demanding that the President attend a 'make up' inaugural rally for their favor is confusing the Office of the President with a pop star. If President Obama gets done the things that these people who failed to get unto the Mall voted for him to do, then that will be the real consolation prize of a lifetime.

Posted by: melow | January 28, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Mary Ann, you've taken several comments from several people and made it sound like the general consensus is compensation and greed. I'd say the vast majority of ticket holders that were caught in the fray (no matter what color ticket they held) would take offense at that implication. I know that I do. Nothing could be further from the truth. We're trying to get the right people to listen to first-hand information, to dispel rumors, and to make sure a full-blown investigation is carried out so that this doesn't happen again.

Posted by: carmichl | January 28, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Although I am sure that none of the disappointed blue, purple or silver ticket holders would refuse a private meeting with Obama, I think that you have completely missed the point. Yes we are upset that we missed being a "witness to history", but if you look closely at the blogs the true outrage is that everyone, including elderly and children, were put in life-threatening danger by the complete lack of security and planning. It was only the spirit of cooperation and unity that prevented a real tragedy that day. Accountability is the only aspirin requested by the majority of the doomed.

Posted by: CindyReid | January 28, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

This is ridiculous!! The name of the group on Facebook is "Survivors of the Purple Tunnel of Doom". How in the world do these idiots have the audacity to call themselves "survivors"? This is a slap in the face to our military veterans, Japanese Americans detained in internment camps during World War II as well as the many African Americans who went through segregation.

What exactly did these "victims" go through? 4-5 hours in the cold in which they were able to go back into warm conditions later the same day? The only people who put themselves in danger were the parents of small children and the elderly and handicapped who felt that going out in massive crowds during the middle of winter was a bright idea.

Once the tunnel was over a quarter of the way full, what person in their right mind would think that it would actually be a good idea to stand in that line?

Too funny!

I love that President Obama has never commented on this issue. His silence speaks volumes!!

Posted by: fbueller | January 28, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Mary Ann -

I want to express my deep disappointment at this sloppy reporting - I am officially requesting a retraction of this story due to its misleading, inaccurate information and inadequate sourcing - and ridiculous headline.

I was one of those who interacted with SSA Gainer yesterday and except for one or two posts, I did not see anyone demanding anything but accountability and answers as to what happened to them.

I request that you provide the proof to back up your claim regarding the "only asprin" for us on the facebook page is President Obama. This is an inaccurate, false claim, and to even say it is the ONLY asprin just demonstrates how inaccurate it is. How can you stand by that claim - have you polled each one of us or have you just grabbed one or two posts and sensationalized them?

Unless you have polled each member of the facebook page and each one of us said this was the ONLY thing we demanded, your story is a lie and should be pulled immediately. You cannot substantiate your claim here.

There has never been any poll, any concensus or anything like that on the facebook page that would provide that basis for your claim. You unfortunately, made it up.

The majority of people on the facebook page have actually repeatedly said they did not even want President Obama to know what happened, as he has his hands full with the country's issues. We have consistently, respectfully and repeatedly held the JCCIC completely responsible for this and do not want to call on President Obama to provide us with anything. He is not responsible for any of this - the JCCIC is, and that is where we are in our respectful demand for accountability - and where we will stay.

Again, I ask that this blog entry be retracted, corrected, and/or deleted. It does not reflect the mission of the facebook members.

I will also notify the editor of the Washington Post to ask that this inaccurate, irresponsible story be deleted from this blog.

Posted by: pbj8 | January 28, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

The Borgen Project has some good info on the cost of addressing global poverty.

$30 billion: Annual shortfall to end world hunger.
$550 billion: U.S. Defense budget

Posted by: atsegga | January 28, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I am purple ticket line survivor. Yes, the situation sucked big time. Distributing too many tickets and grossly underestimating the turnout at an event that clearly would draw record crowds was stupid and inexcusable. As was the poor management of the affected ticket lines.
I would love to have an audience with Obama. But please! Don't include me with this mob of narcissistic whiners. An autographed photo would thrill me! But I don't expect to receive one.
Considering what is going on in the world, we don't make the cut on the priority list. Obama has real problems to deal with.
Put it in perspective. How do you think people in Iraq who have lost family, home and job feel?
What about the thousands of Iraqis who are dead?
And don't forget the americans who are bankrupt because of health care costs, or Iraqi veterans who have not received proper care upon returning from the war.

We don't have a problem, people! Grow up. Be grateful if you haven't lost your job. Yes, this was a huge disappointment, and some of you spent a lot of money to travel to DC. But it's not the worst thing that will ever happen to you.

My sympathy goes to the people who suffered during the civil rights movement, lived to see Obama elected, and came for the inauguration, but were stuck in the lines. Those are the ones who deserve an audience with Obama.

Posted by: YanaLynn | January 28, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I think your story was unfair. I was a blue ticket holder and did not get in. I joined Facebook to understand what went wrong, not ask for compensation. There can't be a redo. Its like a wedding day.
I joined because my tickets came from someone on the Inaug. Committee.We text'd after we didn't get in and he offered us a tour or maybe a luncheon where Obama would speak (after telling us how sorry he was that we were diverted from our train station, insinuating we got there late thus did not get in)
Imagine my surprise when I logged in to Facebooktwo days later and saw this was being widely offered. My point? The Inaug. committee knew way in advance and all during the process there was a problem. I just want to hear them say it.
I think the majority on Facebook feel the same way.

Posted by: dkmerino | January 28, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

We were stuck in the purple ticket back-up for three hours, and our guess is that the 5,000 ticket holders who have signed up on Facebook are just a small fraction of the thousands and thousands who waited patiently to get into the purple ticket gate on Inauguration Day. We thank them all for their civility and their patience. With the total lack of security and information provided, they and a great deal of good luck are the only reasons that many people were not hurt. None of us need nor want compensation, but we do want, as many others have urged but you have chosen thus far not to note, an accounting of what went wrong and action to hold those responsible accountable. Mr. Grainer may have served his Congressional masters well, but if tens of thousands of people who pay his salary were ignored and subjected to potential harm by his omissions and poor planning, then he does not deserve to keep his job. We are not looking for compensation but for an assurance that the incompetence we witnessed on Inauguration Day will not happen again. If those who were responsible are not held accountable, we just have another "helluva job, Brownie!" And aren't we finished with that?

Posted by: kavt | January 28, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I wrote a long response concerning my disappointment the other day so I will keep this one short.

Bottom line: Yes we received free tickets, but with the state of the economy the way it is today for working class individuals to pay the outrageous hotel cost, transportation, metro tickets,and for our pain and suffering.

I would greatly appreciate it if the President Obama would make a special appearance allowing those of us who were left out the opportunity to hear him do his Inaugural Speech.

Posted by: deneenharris | January 29, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

"My heart breaks at the treatment and abuse experienced by those in lines and gates." - Cali711

Wow! There are some hearts easily broken in that group! (And yes, Cali711 refers to "those" but she is one of them.) I hope these people never know real abuse, but this ain't it.

What a bunch of pathetic victims.

Posted by: DaveGeorge1 | January 29, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

So -- reserve RFK Stadium, put up a big screen or two, open the gates to the ticket holders and their purple, blue, silver, whatever tickets, set up concession stands and run the video of the Inauguration for them.

And leave Obama do his job of running the country and getting us out of a mess that is far worse than not being able to see the Inauguration on Jan 20.

Posted by: bronxace | January 29, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

It's very unfortunate that there were so many people that missed the historical moment of watching President Obama sworn in. I also think that it is unfortunate that so many people are demanding a meeting with him when we have so many problems the country is currently facing. Our economy is in a never ending downward sprial that needs immediate attention, we are at war with terrorists, more and more people are losing their jobs. This is just some of the things that are happening in America. Throughout the world there are 800 million people that are suffering from hunger and poverty. The Borgen Project (www.borgenproject.org) has some interesting facts about global poverty and ways to solve it. Did you know that it would cost $19 billion to eliminate global poverty, a small fraction of the $522 billion the government spent on the defense budget last year.

Posted by: cougar_gal06 | January 29, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Sorry. I am not on a facebook group or a purple doom person. Rather a silver ticket person who never made it into its Disability Section, along with many others in wheelchairs, etc.

Yes, there was great disappointment. But the overriding issue was total lack of safety. By some miracle, we all managed to avoid a horrible trampling to death tragedy, which IMO was a very real possibility. Those in charge of crowd control and management should be summarily fired. If anything at all, a letter on President Obama's webpage to all of us who were shut out or couldn't see due to snafus like the blocking of the Disability Section - along with action to rid ourselves of incompetent security officials - should do it. Actually, the President should emit a big sigh of relief that multiple deaths were avoided on his big day, thanks only to the spirit and courtesy of the crowd. Everyone was at risk, no matter where they were, in that totally unmanaged throng.

Posted by: ebliversidge | January 30, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Anyone would be foolish not to want to meet the most influential person on the planet. Especially this man. However, I made what I think is a reasonable suggestion:

1. A commemorative DVD (I know it may be difficult, but perhaps there could be an intro from the President recognizing our support and acknowledging our disappointment. 20-30 seconds would do it.) - It would mean he cared. Many of us have still not seen the event. It would mean alot if the first time we saw it was following a word to us from OUR President.

2. A personalized letter of apology from the Committee chair, the SAA and chief. I know the Committee won't see all of the names but technology should make it easy enough. - It would mean they cared.

3. Tickets to President Obama's next inaugural ceremony and express (Early) entry. Most of us will stand in the cold for hours again for a chance to be a part, but being able to walk through a gate and without being manhandled by the masses would be a great memory. It would not be disruptive to have a few gates open 1/2 hour early. BTW, it would be great to get great seats next time, but I'd be very happy with the tix and assured ease of entry.

TAKE YOUR TIME AND GET IT RIGHT. I don't want it now. I want it right. Something meaningless today will be meaningless tomorrow. Something meaningful, will be meaningful forever. What we need is a memory.

Posted by: dhoyles | January 30, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

You could have sat at home, in front of your tv, and, watched the Inauguration. I have 5 tv's at home, and, am proud that I didn't watch any of them. For the first time in my life, I can say, "I'm ashamed of my Country".

Posted by: vickiv714 | January 30, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

uh. Five TVs, presumably used for more important viewing than a historical presidential inauguration (Survivor? Lost? Guiding Light?) ... and YOU'RE ashamed of US?

Posted by: bug451 | January 31, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

If everyone can just take all of the emotion out of this for a moment -- people who were caught up in it and those not, and look at this like any other event, isn't it reasonable that all ticket holders be offered seating to the next inauguration in 4 years? This does not demand the Presidents time now and, I hate to break this to you, but there's no guarantee he'll even be re-elected. For the ticket holders, 4 years is a long time to make good on (or at least approximate as closely as possible) what was lost that day, and that's IF he even gets re-elected. This group deserves that much, if not for their collectively great spirit, we would have been reading a completely different story on Jan. 21st. IMHO, it should be that or nothing--I think the idea of a few trinkets and posters are insulting. As far as parade ticket holders (and I was one) I think we are SOL on that one. Security concerns obviously take precedent over this topic, but it nonetheless needs to be addressed. I only wish this were being addressed by a more communicative JCCIC than in the media. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate any attention this story has rec'd because most people still don't even know what happened that day...the ones that do obviously tired of hearing about it by Jan. 22.

Posted by: sunnymbredice | January 31, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse