Purple Tickets and Broken Hearts, Still Pining for Obama

Marisa McNee, the feisty cofounder of a grassroots group of spurned inaugural ticket holders on Facebook, wants us to clarify something about the number of people who have expressed interest in visiting the White House.

She says only a small percentage of the more than 5,000 Facebook group members and ticket holders who were forced into the Purple Tunnel of Doom -- or otherwise barred by security officers from entering their premium standing areas on Inauguration Day -- are asking for a special meeting with President Obama. And she takes issue with our last posting suggesting many of them want some type of a make-up meeting.

"It's just not true that many of the ticket holders who are members of the group are asking for an event with Obama," she insists. "Most of them, as reflected in the numbers, are not asking for compensation of any kind. They just want some answers about what happened."

Indeed, everyone wants answers. And, yes, there are plenty of the justifiably disgruntled who want a chance to meet Obama. But that's not the prototypical Facebook tunnel group member, McNee says.

Mentions of a White House event as compensation comprised "just one percent" of the total number of comments posted during Tuesday's hour-long question-and-answer session with Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Terrance Gainer, she said.

McNee, a Democratic consultant, also expressed concern that she didn't want her group -- many of whom were Obama campaign volunteers -- coming off as "whiners" at the dawn of the Obama administration, which should be a glowing moment in history for them.

She seems to have convinced those who initially embraced the idea of a special Obama event to switch course.

Dan Gerstein, a former aide to Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) who is now a speechwriter living in New York, initially told us that while the security fiasco was obviously not Obama's fault, "he clearly has a strong interest in bringing the truth to light and the people responsible for this debacle to account" and "an even stronger interest in compensating his supporters for what they lost that day."

"One way to do that ... would be to hold a series of open houses at the White House for ticket-holders who were denied entry to his inauguration," Gerstein, a member of the Survivors of the Purple Tunnel of Doom Facebook group, told us last week.

Today? "Marisa knows this issue and the group far better than I do. And if they are not interested in an open house, then I would not bother proposing it," he said.

But don't count it out yet. There are members of Congress who are keen on the idea of some type of an event at the White House for constituents whose hearts were broken on Inauguration Day -- and they could just be a tad more powerful than the keepers of the Purple Tunnel of Doom Facebook group.

Thanks to the letters he's received from his constituents, Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.) is likely to push for a White House event.

Among the more poignant e-mails that Sanders' staff passed along was one from a man named Bruce Talbot from Moretown, Vt., a purple ticket holder whose 13-hour train trip to Washington with his wife was "in vain," as he put it.

"We are extremely disappointed at what happened and hope something might be done to make up for our sad experience, Talbot wrote, adding, "Might there be some sort of follow-up reception for us with our new President? Just an idea... but it would mean so much."

Another Vermonter, Michael Pippenger, wrote to the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies about his purple ticket nightmare. He and his family spent three-and-a-half hours in the tunnel, then several more hours in a long line, without ever seeing any part of the swearing-in ceremony.

Pippenger, like his compatriots, wants an investigation and answers. But he'd like to see Obama, too.

"To make amends, why not offer all ticket holders that were denied entry ... an open house (receiving line like the one held yesterday) at the White House?" he asked. "We came to support President Obama and Vice President Biden as they were sworn in to represent us and lead our country; we were there because we are active citizens, proud of our democratic process and to wish them well. Give us the opportunity to share that message with them in the future since you denied it to us on January 20th."

Yet another constituent of Sanders', purple-ticket holder Christine Plunkett, wrote in that she and her husband and 13-year-old son never got to their viewing area after getting trapped in a "pushing, yelling, frustrated, crushing mob."

And what do you think she wants for compensation? You got it -- a trip to the White House.

"We would like to think that steps will be taken to recognize individuals and families for the great disappointment and, in many cases, expense that resulted from traveling to this event," she wrote. "Perhaps free, guaranteed front row seating to Obama's second inauguration?!?!?! An official Inauguration program signed by Obama? A free White House tour hosted by Obama and his wife?"

By Mary Ann Akers  |  January 28, 2009; 7:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Is the Only Aspirin for Doomed Inaugural Ticket Holders
Next: Disappointed Inaugural Parade Ticket Holders Feel Left Out

Comments

"Feisty" is an understatement. That's what makes her so good at what she does.

Posted by: dtmky | January 28, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Well, Mary Ann, I was excited to hear that you were updating your misinformed story (Obama Is the Only Aspirin...."), but after reading it I am once again dismayed.

Why do you only focus on those FEW people out of almost 6000 members of the Facebook groups who have indicated a desire to see President Obama? MANY MORE of us only want answers to what happened so that a similar problem does not occur again!! But I guess that is not as an exciting story for you? Not as catchy a headline?

Your "reporting" is slanted and unfair and dare I suggest you try again at a fair and balanced portrayal of the thousands of us who only want to prevent a potentially disastrous recurrence in 2013.

Why not include quotes from the thousands of comments left at the Facebook site that don't support your FALSE claim that all we want is a private sit-down with our new President?

Two strikes, Mary Ann. Try for a third and you might get it right next time. Although seriously I doubt that!!

Posted by: kashabear | January 28, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Interesting - once again, your quote: "She [Marisa]seems to have convinced those who initially embraced the idea of a special Obama event to switch course" is a tad misleading. Marisa is a terrific advocate for this particular issue but you make it sound as if she's trying to sway the group's opinion. It seems clear that you're the one trying to sway opinion, downplaying or ignoring the comments made by the majority of people you claim to be reporting about, while focusing on things stated by a very small percentage.

I have a proposition for you. I suggest you poll members of the facebook group individually and ask one question: "When you posted questions or comments for Gainer, what was your primary goal?" I don't think the answers you get would lend themselves to a gossipy blog entry but they might lead to a good investigative piece.

As far as meeting President Obama... if given the opportunity, who wouldn't be thrilled at the prospect? Would you say "no" to an invitation? Most of us campaigned strongly for him and we were there to celebrate this wonderful time in history. But given the political-mindedness of many (if not most) of the people posting, do you really think we'd want him to take time away from healing this country right now to "humor" us?

Posted by: carmichl | January 28, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

OK, it was pretty bad what happened. But well, enough is enough. The Purple Ticket Eaters are wearing out people's sympathy.

Posted by: ggreenbaum | January 28, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Sergeant at Arms Gainer and Capitol Police Chief Morse should both be fired. They planned this failure. They were both clueless on inauguration day. We paid the price for their negligence.

Posted by: gjspa2 | January 28, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Why set the record straight? You had it right the first time . As a dissident of the group and its ideas, I was kicked out by Ms. McNee. After your blog was posted, McNee intentionally went through the discussion boards on the group and deleted all the posts that sounded "whiny". Ms. Akers, don't cave in for this lady. The group is "whiny".

Posted by: aaronjrosenberg | January 28, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

When I read this I am once again frustrated that Blue and Silver ticket holders are being left out of the story. Thousands of Blue ticket holders never made it in - the gate closed in the face of me and my 72 year old father who had waited for at least four hours in the bitter cold, plus one hour trapped in a subway before that. It's not just a purple ticket issue, or a tunnel issue - it was a huge crowd management and planning failure that extended to multiple gates - the result as equally heartbreaking. I came from all the way from Seattle, thinking I was about to witness the moment of a lifetime - but my ticket to the Blue South Standing section turned out to be a guarantee that I would miss the whole event. If I would have been on the mall, or at home, or anywhere else I would have at least flipped on a radio. But trapped in what was supposed to be the "for sure in" line, I was completely cut off from it all.

Watch the fun of the Blue line as the gate closed for yourself here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3GsUIjOjQg

There are other issues with this article, but others have already mentioned them.

Posted by: imaginelisette | January 28, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

As a purple ticket holder who was stuck in the tunnel of doom line for about 4 hours and did not get in, I think I am in the majority of us whose primary goal at this point is to have the problems acknowledged and investigated so we have answers and so something like this never happens again. There really is no "do-over" event that would do the trick to make up for missing our shot at witnessing history. We're all dealing with it in our own way. I honestly don't expect or feel entitled to get some personal audience with President Obama out of this.

MaryAnn, it seems like you have a twisted pleasure in making us out to be a bunch of whiners asking for special priveledges...

Sure, some people are still venting frustration, but believe me...if you were there - you would be too...walk a mile in our moccasins (or frozen shoes as the case may be.) I think I share the common sentiment of the group when I say that we mainly want straight answers.

Posted by: captandyhunt | January 28, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

p.s. Oh - and by the way, even seeing Obama (as cool as that would be) would not really replace the historic moment I had poured all my energy into seeing. So I am doing the work of letting go of it and moving on. But you'll just have to forgive a lot of us if takes a little longer than 7 days. What I dream of is having been 5 minutes earlier, since I was the next in line when the gate shut. But no one can give me that. That's life and I'm dealing with it. But part of dealing with it is making sure this insanity isn't repeated - too dangerous and totally avoidable. So telling our stories is how we do it - it's not always just about "whining" - it's about informing people about what exactly went down.

Posted by: imaginelisette | January 28, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

God, I feel so sorry for these people.

Not because they didn't get to see the inauguration, but because they are whiny, self-absorbed victims who will always struggle in life because of it.

Posted by: DaveGeorge1 | January 29, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

It's not just purple, blue, and silver tickets at the inaugural ceremony. The situation along the parade route was almost identical to the chaos at the ceremony. And some of us PAID for tickets the Secret Service, Park Police, and other security agencies made it essentially impossible to use. The Post has not acknowledged those problems even a single time, despite several full-length and even page 1 stories about the purple ticket problems.

Posted by: nashpaul | January 29, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Mary Ann--

I enjoyed your original blog post from yesterday titled "Obama Is the Only Aspirin for Doomed Inaugural Ticket Holders". I want to express my deep disappointment at the sloppy reporting in your updated post, however.

I am officially requesting a retraction of this updated story due to its misleading, inaccurate information and inadequate sourcing.

The main problem with your new piece is that you base much of it on numbers provided by Marisa McNee, one of the administrators of the "Survivors of the Purple Tunnel of Doom" Facebook page. None of the numbers provided by McNee or Dave Meyer, co-administrator, can be taken seriously or viewed as legitimatel.

In your updated story you note the following:

"She[McNee] says only a small percentage of the more than 5,000 Facebook group members and ticket holders who were forced into the Purple Tunnel of Doom -- or otherwise barred by security officers from entering their premium standing areas on Inauguration Day -- are asking for a special meeting with President Obama."

"It's just not true that many of the ticket holders who are members of the group are asking for an event with Obama," she[McNee] insists. "Most of them, as reflected in the numbers, are not asking for compensation of any kind."

The problem with McNee's statements is that they lack any type of credibility. Since the "survivor" site was created, several hundred posts submitted and a large number of users who joined the Facebook group have been removed.

If any member posts a comment which goes against the personal agenda of either McNee or Meyer, it is administratively deleted(often within an hour). If any post is made in which "extreme" compensation is asked for, it is removed. All postings which go against the demand to seek justice for the "trauma" endured while waiting in line during winter conditions are similarly deleted.

But therein lies the rub. Numbers can only be trusted as valid if all posts and members are allowed. It's sort of ironic. One of the main reasons the Facebook group was established was to ensure the fair and equal treatment of ticket holders at future inaugurals. Yet the leaders of the group asking for this change violate free speech at will. All member/post removals occur solely at their discretion.

Again, I ask that your updated blog entry be retracted, corrected, and/or deleted. It does not accurately reflect the true intent of a large number of members of the "survivors" Facebook group who were silenced against their will.

As Johnny Cochran might have said, "If Marisa and Dave deleted, their number are obsoleted!!!!"

Posted by: fbueller | January 29, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Mary Ann -

I am glad you updated the information to make clear that most of us disgruntled (or discombobulated) ticketholders on Facebook do not want to demand time with the President.

To those who did not experience this frustration it does sound like a bunch of whinning and selfishness - demanding the Presidents time or other personal compensation. Those who do not have all the facts (which includes everyone) are making superficial judgements on this matter based on too little information.

I think in the end their will probably be some small personal compensation for us denied ticketholders but, my hope is that we change the demand of personal compensation and push for something else.

What kept thousands of frustrated people crammed in a tunnel safe from injury was not the police or crowd control but, the good spirit we took to the inauguration, a collective recognition that this event was far greater than any of our own personal interests or ambitions.

In my view, the disgruntled tickeholders need to return to this spirit and demand a public good be offered as compensation for our dissapointment and financial lost. One idea would be for every ticket sent in to the JCCIC $100 could be allocated to a fund to retrain / educate returning veterens for new jobs in this horrible economy.

Posted by: andrechevalier | January 29, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I am a purple ticket holder who traveled from California only to spend 5 hours in the tunnel. Although I am not "demanding" time with our President, that would certainly soothe the wounds. I believe that although Marissa is doing a good job, she should not speak for us all. If an open house event is offered, we should be asked personally and not have Marissa speak for all.

Posted by: mchoco | January 29, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Folks, stop whining. I have good news. I missed the Opening Ceremonies of the 1984 Olympics when I was pickpocketed 3 yards from the entrance. I ended up w/a much better story and unique viewpoint of the event, and have seen the Ceremonies ad nauseum on TV since then.

20 years from now, when they replay the Inauguration on infinite documentaries, you can say "I was in the Purple Tunnel of Doom" and every head will turn away from the TV to look at YOU.

Posted by: jd5024 | January 29, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Discussions of how to compensate those who missed the inauguration are kind of beside the point. What we have is irrefutable evidence of a colossal planning and execution failure that could have easily turned into a national celebration into a mass-casualty national tragedy.

The people "in charge" obviously had no idea what was really going on in front of their noses, and failed to take the most elementary actions to correct dangerous conditions. If their awareness and control of the situation broke down so completely despite only having to deal with the expected and well-behaved crowd, I have ZERO confidence in their ability to effectively respond to any of the emergency scenarios that could have occurred during the inauguration (e.g. major accident or attack).

The institutional tendency will be to brush this under the rug. We can't let that happen. Lots of people had to screw up badly in order for this to happen. These people are still in charge, still making public safety decisions, and still believe that they really didn't do anything wrong. If we don't demand that this failure be fully investigated and root causes identified/corrected, the next foul-up might cost many lives.

Posted by: DupontJay | January 29, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Just want to point out that since you live and work in Washington, you should know that Senator Bernie Sanders is an Independent, not a Democrat.

Posted by: roadhusseinrunner | January 29, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I can understand the frustrations of everyone who waited in line and didn't get to see the ceremony. However, I don't understand the purpose of all this. Why is this news? It's unfortunate, yes, but I think that our newly elected president has enough on his plate right now. If you were that big of a supporter, then you know that you worked to elect him so that he could do his job, not so he could thank you for it.

Posted by: MiddleSchoolTeacher | January 29, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I personally am grateful that Mary Ann is keeping the story alive and thus the pressure on. I am disappointed that the admin of the Facebook page are deleting users and comments as this is a Democratic society and the whole point is that our voices need to be heard and answers given.

When I finally, just yesterday, started telling people about my experiences at the Blue gate, EVERY one of them was astounded as they had heard NOTHING about what happened to thousands of us. Sure it would be great to see the President or have "standing tickets" to a future event, White House tour and/or a DVD or memorabilia. Personally, I want answers and am of the opinion that we are NOT whiners. Telling our story and demanding answers are part of healing. Reading what others went through, specifically the elderly African Americans who waited their entire lives for this and then their particular hells of that day, brings healing to my own experiences which pale in comparison to theirs.

Nothing can replace that day and what we each did to get there. I do not want to take valuable time from Obama and the work in front of him to assuage my own emotional and financial upheaval as a result of this. Just get us answers and do SOMETHING that recognizes our efforts and support of Obama. We worked HARD for this election and for that opportunity.

To honor those people and their stories/photos, I am adding a new chapter to our photo/book contest website and extending the contest deadline. If there is enough active participation in the 'Purple Tunnel/Blue Gate Inauguration, we will publish a coffee table style book and donate extensively out of the sales of the books to organizations as voted on by the participants. The chapter will be 'live' in the next couple days at mydncphotos.

Posted by: Photogirl | January 29, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

It's sad that people complain about such minimal issues when there are much bigger problems going on in the world.

$1.2 trillion: Projected federal deficit for 2009.
$30 billion: Annual shortfall to end world hunger.

Political priorities by the numbers. Read more about it on the BORGEN PROJECT website (borgenproject.org)

Posted by: alenka | January 29, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I have never commented on a blog before, but I felt compelled to do so in reference to this article. I am disappointed with the slant that is being put on the Inauguration Day incidents and the excluded ticketholders. I was a purple ticket holder; I arrived at the purple gate at 5:56 AM; I waited in the tunnel for four hours; I watched the Inauguration on a television in a restaurant.
I joined Facebook so that I could join the Survivors of the Purple Tunnel of Doom group. I wanted those responsible for our safety to understand that we numbered far greater than 1,000.
However, I have never posted to the Facebook group page. I don't expect any compensation for my disappointment. I sent feedback to the JCCIC so that they could understand the dangerous situation they created. I want to ensure they learn from this.
I am sure there are many others like myself who joined the group to be counted and to support those who are working with the government agencies. Most of us are not "whiners."
I am also sure there are many other Facebook group members who understand - as I do - the big picture. Our country's future now seems to be in the right, capable hands. We don't expect a response or recourse from President Obama. We simply want him to excel at the challenging job we elected him to do.
I can't help but believe that many of my fellow ticketholders plan to ""pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America."

Posted by: mpedon | January 29, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Purple person here...

I specifically do NOT want a meeting with Obama -- he has more important things to do. That's why we elected him.

However, there were a few people in line who, in my opinion, deserve more than just an apology. I'm a 27 yr old white guy who got stuck in a tunnel, but for the elderly black men and women in that tunnel, this Inauguration was tragic. They waited their entire lives for that day, and I think they deserve to have it. I've been pushing for a dinner with Michelle Obama for any African American over the age of 55 who was shut out. I don't think this is whining, I think it's the right thing to do.

Posted by: miketwo | January 29, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad that these people didn't get a chance to see the Inauguration. This is the first election in years, or maybe ever, that I was actually excited about and I took a day of vacation to sit home and watch everything on TV but it would have been super to be there in person. I can understand their frustation and how long it's taking to get over it - I would feel the same way! Hang in there!

Posted by: MILW | January 29, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

What do you expect when you go to a sold-out rock concert???

2012 is just around the corner and I don't see the miracle the the Obama administration was supposed to bring.

Still pining away????

All you Obama Cult members, repeat after me... let's get refreshed with....

Jim DeMint.... Jim DeMint... Jim DeMint...

'nuff said...

Posted by: Computer_Forensics_Expert_Computer_Expert_Witness | January 29, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Nah -- it's whining. You've got a great souvenir, and a wonderful story of how you were denied your "right" and "privilege" of watching the president being sworn in (incorrectly, I might add). You would have been hearing taped music, and watching the backs of the rich and famous (who managed to get into their seats, by the way...).
You had a right to be upset -- then. Now, your continued focus on this slight at the hands of the Kapitol Keystone Kops is bordering on obsession. Get over it.

Posted by: Apostrophe | January 29, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Unless you were there and stuck in the tunnel or denied entrance at the Blue gate you have no idea how traumatic and scary it was. Those of us who experienced this have the right to make sure it doesn't happen again. It is amazing nobody was seriously hurt that day.

Posted by: grose1 | January 29, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I was one of the lucky purple tickets holders who did get in after more shoving and crushing and fear than I should have experienced, and I still can't imagine how much a disappointment it was for those that didn't.

Because of those wonderful families of volunteers that I met, who put their own coats on others in the line who were cold, who were in a part of the line that did not get in, this is something I can't let go of. But I don't want anything except true and unslanted reporting so that we can learn and help one another. A leap to judgement about what people should or should not feel, doesn't lead us to the kind of change event planners have to enact. I would hope that the reporting just keeps the problem in view, so a solution can be in sight.

I was very grateful to see Gainer's willingness to blog with the facebook group. I received an email today from the JCCIC after submitting my story, and I am grateful for that, too.

There's no truth to the claim that purple ticket holders as a whole want anything other than acknowledgment that a horrible lapse of judgement and planning occurred that had lasting impact and that real change will happen as a result. Almost everyone I encountered in that line was genuine and caring, and the majority response now is no different.

Posted by: valerieh1 | January 29, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

For the life of me, I can't understand why your posters are stopping short of where the blame really lies. I am a Califoria liberal who voted many times for Diane Feinstein, but seeing how she behaved in the Senate during the Bush years, I don't know why. I don't really believe she's a Democrat let alone a liberal. Putting her in charge was a big mistake. She is already sending signals to the Obama White House that she is more than willing to stand up to THEM! California, the largest (population wise) State in the union certainly deserves better representation. I hope somebody really challenges her in the Dem. primary this time. They will need a lot of money though, and I will be one of the first to contribute.

Posted by: nwsjnky1 | January 30, 2009 3:48 AM | Report abuse

Silver ticket holder here. I was among thousands of silvers who also did not get in. My guess is a minimum of 40,000 silvers did not get in, as that was by far the largest ticketed area and a massive number never came close to the security gate. Answers are required for what happened at all ticket areas, not just purple or blue (with whom I also sympathize), who was responsible, and what will be done to prevent future such mishaps. That is the story that remains to be written, not the anectodal experiences or desires of individuals who suffered there.

Posted by: commenter1 | January 30, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Well, I made the mistake (Silver here, not purple) of calling Sen. Feinstein's office, to be told that she had regally apologized. When I scoffed at that, I was shunted over to the Inauguration Committee (whatever that is) and found myself bursting into tears. My complaint, other than the tamped-down fear I felt at the utter lack of crowd control at the end, was the way the Disability Section at the front of the Silver area was mishandled. Thank heavens my daughter, who is deaf, chose not to go in the end because she would have NEVER GOTTEN IN. We were told by the security friskers that there was no such section (I had a ruptured tendon and cane and thought I might qualify). When I finally discovered it, it was impossible to get in, as thousands of able-bodied people had been permitted to standn behind it, blocking any access. I don't know, as I couldn't see the area, whether it was full, but I saw more than one person using a wheelchair who was totally flummoxed, surrounded by tall, standing people, trapped and seeing nothing.

I believe that Silver, Purple, Blue people - not all of them blocked OUT but for many with disabilities blocked by everyone else's heads - deserve more than an apology from Sen. Feinstein. Heads should roll at what could have been a colassal catastrophe and was a crushing disappointment to many. It would be nice to have our new President be in charge of making heads roll. Not Senator Feinstein. To have her apologize, thinking that would be sufficient, demonstrates a character flaw, IMO

Posted by: ebliversidge | January 30, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

There is no "do-over", and I do NOT need to meet President Obama because I missed viewing his inauguration -- get real. The man has far more important work to do and I'd prefer he get on with that; it's why I worked my heart out for him.

However, attention to the Purple (and other color) Ticket Fiasco is important in that it was a grossly mismanaged effort. The derelict lack of planning created a dangerous environment -- Gainer and his team are clearly not ready to respond to an emergency situation of this scale. How scary is that? In the nation's capital?

Posted by: 16andH | January 30, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

What everyone is missing here is the greater problem. (Blue ticket holder here).

It's not mismanagment of the Inauguration. It was managed the way they wanted it to be managed. The greater problem is the ever growing problem of trying to control every movement of people. In the name of SECURITY, we were herded like cattle through a massive, unweldy security apparatus. Really, what threat were any of us who stood in the bitter cold from 5:30am until after noon to watch this historic event? (After standing in line at House and Senate office buildings for hours in the bitter cold to retrieve our tickets the previous day.) Are We the People really the threat? (Were we a threat to the hill staffers who handed us those tickets?)

I got to see the swearing in after my money was taken from the table and the guard lifted my coat to wand between my legs (yes, I'm female). Just like the Defense industry, the Security industry has WON the day in Washington, DC.

For the record, my family also had PAID tickets to the parade and couldn't get through the 12ft IRON gates that prevented most of us from watching a PARADE in the bitter cold and dark of night.

How sad America.

Posted by: dcan | January 30, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

As a blue ticket holder from California who did not get into the Inuaguration, what are those of us expected to do if a invitation to the White House is an option. I can't pay to fly out to DC again from California. I like the idea of having tickets close to the stage for Obama's 2nd Inuaguration in 2013. Or what about tickets to speaking events close in the state in which you live. I mostly would like an answer for why this became such a big problem. Who would ever have thought that they wouldn't get into the Inuaguration even with tickets!!!! Thank you to the Slueth who is recognizing all those that have been affected and had their Inuaguration dreams shattered.

Posted by: candev17 | January 30, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Marisa, I think your Facebook page is hurting the cause. Can you recommend an investigator on the Ann Arbor police department who could look into shutting down your site for me?

"Marisa McNee now claims to have filed a police report with the Ann Arbor police department...[and she] claims that the Ann Arbor police intend to assign a detective to investigate."

...and now, in the New Republic victory lap that the feisty McNee and her pal Dave Meyer are taking, they confess that they were not even IN the tunnel for the inauguration speech. They just read about it.

What a self-aggrandizing, self-centered effort this turned out to be. Thanks, Marisa! You are the Angel of the Purple Tunnel. EPIC FAIL!!! indeed.

Posted by: Trulee | January 31, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse