Dick Cheney and Dick Nixon Make Jerry Brown's Facebook List
More and more of you are getting tagged in those "25 Random Things About Me" lists going viral on Facebook. There seems to be no end to their reach. And now comes eccentric former (and possibly future) California governor Jerry Brown's contribution.
In his list, the 70-year-old Brown reveals his penchant for Zen meditation, arugula, his black lab, Dharma, cheerleading and running for office. (He's serious about launching a campaign to succeed Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2010.)
Brown's spokesman, Scott Gerber, tells the L.A. Times that the 25 Random Things list was all Brown's doing. "Using Facebook shows he is with the times, and gives the sense that he is doing what thousands of other people in the state are doing, which is filling out these random things and giving others some insight into themselves," Gerber said.
Here is Brown's list:
I've seen lists of "25 Random Things About Me" that people are sending around Facebook. I thought I would share my own list with you.
1. I got my first dog 13 years ago, a black Lab named Dharma.
2. At Yale, I took "Psychiatry and the Law" from Anna Freud, Sigmund's daughter. I also studied Roman law.
3. In 1958, I took vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience. Later, Pope John XXIII dispensed me from these obligations.
4. I took marriage vows for the first time 3 years ago.
5. I practiced Zen meditation under Yamada Roshi and Father Enomiya-Lassalle in Japan.
6. My official portrait as Governor was quite controversial and the legislature refused to hang it. My Father said if I didn't get a new one, I could never run again. It is now hanging and I am still running.
7. I am not fond of Mediterranean fruit flies, or of Malathion. Both are bad.
8. I dislike shopping.
9. I started 2 charter schools in Oakland, the Oakland school for the Arts and the Oakland Military Institute.
10. When governor, I decided not to have an Inaugural ball and my inaugural speech was 71⁄2 minutes. For the inaugural dinner, we went to Man Fook Lo, a Chinese restaurant in the produce district of Los Angeles. It was once a favorite of Mae West.
11. I am a part owner of a ranch in Colusa County. It belonged to my Great-grandfather.
12. I worked with Mother Theresa in India at the Home for the Dying.
13. I've been duck hunting with Chief Justice Warren, but not with Vice President Cheney.
14. I sued Richard Nixon's lawyer for helping the President cheat on his income tax.
15. I like arugula and broccoli.
16. On my honeymoon, my wife and I canoed down the Russian river.
17. I was a cheerleader at St. Ignatius High School.
18. I knocked my opponent to the canvas in a 3 round boxing match at Senior Fight Night.
19. My favorite cereal is Flax Plus Multibran.
20. My first car was a 1941 green Plymouth. My most famous car was a 1974 blue Plymouth.
21. I own a colt 38, given to me by my father.
22. I went to Bangladesh as a CARE ambassador.
23. I hiked to the top of half dome. My first trip to Yosemite was when I was 4.
24. The first time I became Governor, I followed an Actor (Ronald Reagan).
25. My maternal grandfather was a San Francisco Police Captain. My paternal grandfather ran a poker club in the Tenderloin.
And here's a 26th random thing about Brown: he told the Sleuth, when we saw him at an inaugural party at Maureen Dowd's house last month, that he's running for governor because, well, "I've done it before."
Mary Ann Akers
February 10, 2009; 4:15 PM ET
Save & Share: Previous: Sen. Schumer: Americans Don't Care About 'Porky' Amendments
Next: Big John Dingell Keeps On Truckin'
Posted by: atsegga | February 10, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: bdstauffer | February 10, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Thatsnuts | February 10, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Computer_Forensics_Expert_Computer_Expert_Witness | February 10, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: SmileySam | February 10, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | February 11, 2009 3:46 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.