Report: Palin Says She Considered Abortion

Former GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin told a right-to-life crowd in Evansville, Ind., Thursday that she fleetingly considered having an abortion after finding out her baby Trig had Down syndrome, according to AOL News.

AOL reports:

She was on a trip out of state at the time, she said, and "just for a fleeting moment I thought, 'No one knows me here; no one would ever know.' ...My amniocentesis came back and then I understood why some people would think they could change their circumstances, just take care of it. Todd didn't even know" the results of the prenatal testing yet, so "no one would know."

Continue reading the rest of the story here.

Interestingly, the Indianapolis Star, in its coverage of Palin's speech, did not mention the Alaska governor's admission that she had contemplated abortion.

Instead, the paper focused on Palin's comments that her baby's abnormality gave her a chance to be true to her anti-abortion beliefs.

"The moment he was born, I knew that moment my prayers had been answered," the Star quotes Palin as saying. "Trig is a miracle. He is the best thing that ever happened to me, and I want other women to have that opportunity."

The paper also writes:

She challenged the notion that children must be born perfect and that unplanned pregnancies are inconvenient and can be ended by abortion. "I know for sure my son is perfect just as he is, made in the image of God," she said.

By Mary Ann Akers  |  April 17, 2009; 11:22 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sleuth Week in Review: Deadheads Out of the Closet
Next: Suspicious Package Rocks Italian Embassy

Comments

Refreshing that Palin admitted to considering, for a moment, an abortion. As when faced with any moral choice, the proof of whether one adheres to their morals and principals is how one chooses to act when faced with making a choice. Few of us can claim to have never considered the alternative to what we believe to be the moral right choice, for often the alternative to the correct moral choice may seem less onerous or more appealing at the moment.

Whether one is briefly "considering" keeping something valuable unintentionally lost by someone else; "considering" taking the easy way out because no one is looking or forgot to take into account; "considering" whether to take justice into one's own hands after suffering a personal tragedy -- or "considering" an abortion when faced with fear-inducing pregnancy, these are all emotions congruent in the process of arriving at moral decisions we set for ourselves.

Palin's decision would have been easy had she NOT considered an abortion. Sticking with her principles in the face of a tough decision is highly suggestive of an intestinal fortitude that is lacking when people take the easier choice rather than sticking with the principles they had claimed to cling to before they found themselves confronted with the moral choice.

Thank you Mary Ann Akers for bringing attention to an important and remarkable aspect of Sarah Palin's personality in walking the walk of her talk.

Posted by: BobBanana | April 17, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Palin's admission does not surprise me in the least. I've always maintained that she didn't care to have that baby by her choices and behavior when she went into labor. As a mother of 22 mo. old, I don't feel that her series of choices in relation to flying to TX and then back home jibe with a woman who wanted to ensure the safety of her newborn in labor. Of course, I only have 2 children not 5 so one might suppose her experience may have driven those choices. From one woman to another, she seemed nonchalant about the safety of a baby who was bound to need attention because of her's and his challenges. This is why her admission doesn't surprise me.

Posted by: flabbergast | April 17, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

An important point here, which flies in the face of Palin's rabid anti-choice position, is that she did have a CHOICE. I too briefly considered having an abortion for a variety of reasons when I found myself pregnant and single at age 37. I had a very negative visceral gut reaction to having an abortion and CHOSE to have my baby. My amnio turned out normal and I delivered an autistic son anyway. He is now 21 and my proudest accomplishment. I have never regretted my decision, never regretted my CHOICE. That makes me anti-abortion and pro-choice and there are many of us who fall into this category. Apparently Palin does too.

Posted by: sweetnonnie | April 17, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Of course everyone, when faced with the option of doing what you believe is right in your heart and doing what you know to be wrong...considers both. We all have cruel and inhumane thoughts, as fleeting as they may be. Folks sitting in prison for murder, often had the passing thought of sparing that life. It works both ways.

It says nothing more than she is human.

I find it incredible how many people have so much anger towards a woman who believes that life starts at conception. The level of hate directed at her because of this one issue boggles the mind. Someone will attack me here, because I have the audacity to stand up for Palin. Too much hate and anger in this country....from both sides.

Posted by: Bear80 | April 17, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Global poverty has huge economic and geopolitical ramifications. Maybe Palin can focus on helping them, too.

The Borgen Project (www.borgenproject.org) has some interesting insight into addressing the issues of global poverty, something we can remedy easily and sustainably.

Some interesting figures to ponder:
$30 billion USD: The annual shortfall to end global poverty.
$550 billion USD: The annual US defense budget.

Posted by: concernedcitizen1111 | April 17, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Refreshing that she admits she thought about it.......and made her own choice.

That's what choice is.....so why work to deny it to everyone else?

Posted by: toritto | April 17, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

American citizens have a constitutional right to decide, without governmental interference, how they wish to deal with an unplanned pregnancy or a genetically defective fetus. I respect Palin's right to make her own decision. It is un-American to deny a mentally competent person their right to decide.
Another person in a situation similar to hers might make a different decision, & opt to terminate the pregnancy. Those people deserve our understanding & support every bit as much as Palin.
Freedom of choice IS the American way!

Posted by: DoctorB | April 17, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

When abortion is available, it's always an option. My sister got an abortion. She never told anybody, not even my parents. After she got it, she realized she made a mistake. She got really depressed, but still didn't talk about it. Eventually, she committed suicide. I miss my sister and never got to meet my niece/nephew. I'm not against abortion, but I do believe it should be a last resort. Counciling is essential. Abortions should be SAFE..LEGAL..and RARE

Posted by: tiotom77 | April 17, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Every mother in the world is actually pro-choice. When a woman conceives a baby, there are only 2 choices. One, to carry the baby to term, or two, to abort. This is the choice. Every pregnant woman makes a choice, thus, she is pro-choice.

Posted by: liberalforUSA | April 17, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

"I find it incredible how many people have so much anger towards a woman who believes that life starts at conception." --says a previous commenter.

The person who said that makes a totally unjustified assessment of most people who opposed Palin's candidacy. It's not that she CHOSE not to use birth control and then CHOSE not to have an abortion, it's that she thinks she has a right to impose her religious views on the rest of the country. We are a democracy.

People who are pro-choice are not immoral -- they simply disagree that a sperm's penetrating the wall of an egg also creates a SOUL at that very second. In general, they think that Soul, and Personhood, are achieved later in prenatal development.

The problem with Palin is that her religious beliefs are inseparable from the political decisions she would take as a vice president or president. The issue is not about abortion. It is about whether a group of people have a right to impose their religious views on the rest of society. In this, as well as many other aspects of knowledge and political policy, Palin is an unacceptable candidate to the majority of Americans.

Posted by: ACounterPoint | April 17, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

So let me get this straight. Sarah Palin admitted to being pro-choice at a right-to-life event and then said she was anti-abortion. Did the attendees then realize the complexity of the issue? Did she?

Posted by: ohjamboree | April 18, 2009 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Pro-choice is not being pro "Give women a "choice"" -- Let's be honest. Pro-choice is "Let abortion be legal and available".

It IS legal. It IS available.

So, you Pro-Choice-ers have your way. Yet you castigate someone who believes, correctly, that abortion is the killing of a baby. No one can honestly say it's NOT the killing of a baby.

Sarah Palin is against the killing of a baby while its in the womb. "Pro-Choice"ers think this is fine, and a woman's "right".

Yet Palin has never made a single political move to make abortion illegal. She may wish it was illegal. So what? Just because someone disagrees with a law doesn't mean they will not follow the law.

Funny that people here are arguing she's trying to take away "choice".

Posted by: BobBanana | April 18, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

It IS legal. It IS available.

Funny that people here are arguing she's trying to take away "choice".

Posted by: BobBanana | April 18, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Maybe her baby can bowl at the same level as Obama.. some day.

Posted by: newbeeboy | April 19, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

It's ironic that Palin's goal is to eliminate for women the right to choose that she took advantage of. Not surprising - Republicans in general and wingnuts in particular have never exhibited a lot of talent in the realm of subtlety.

Posted by: kemp13 | April 19, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Palin's a liar, hypocrite, or both. If she considered abortion for even an instant, but would deny that choice to others, she's a hypocrite. If she said she considered it, but didn't, she's a liar.

She's everything I ever thought she was.

Posted by: truble2301 | April 19, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I love Sarah Palin. She could not ever have an abortion. You can plainly see how much she loves and adores Trig. She is truly an inspiration. I love how truthful and family oriented she is. She is so refreshing to listen to.

Posted by: sprayadhesive | April 20, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

So Sarah feels it's OK for her to have a choice but not for other women. How convenient for her.

Posted by: OhMy | April 20, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I was going to stop reading the Washington Post,but I did not.
You pro abortion people are always trying to destroy a person who has other beliefs then you.

Posted by: yokohlman | April 20, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

key word is CHOICE. Define it anyway you want, a decision involving options was made. Anytime you do you exercise your rights. I believe that choice should always be an option.

Posted by: justregularpat | April 20, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it interesting that Gov. Palin said she considered an abortion. Whether she decided to have one or not, she knew it was an option for her. I believe any pregnant female should continue to have an option. What they end up doing is up to them, but the knowledge that they have a choice in their course of action is what counts. Most people I know who are pro-choice simply want that option to remain. I would rather abortion not have to be performed, but if it is the choice of the female who is pregnant than she should have the option to do so. I will never understand why in the "land of the free", so many people want to take a freedom away from women. Believe and practice what you like, just do not expect everyone else to live by your beliefs. That's all we want. Leave those alone who belief something other than what you do.

Posted by: alaskan2 | April 21, 2009 2:17 AM | Report abuse

Governor Palin did consider an abortion at the time she had her amniocentesis (sp?) which is given to older pregnant women to see whether the baby they are carrying has Down's syndrome.
The proceedure is not without risk to the baby since they stick a needle into the abdomen to extract fluid for testing. Some women miscarry during or after the procedure.
She would not have done this without giving it more than a fleeting thought. It is not a routine procedure in a pregnancy but rather gives women an opportunity on whether to carry the baby to term.

Posted by: media202 | April 21, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin can continue to present herself as Mom of the Year all she wants, but watching her other children carry the youngest baby around at all the political events said volumes to me. I hope I am wrong, but she almost appears to use her children as props. As for her husband, he does not appear to be all that interested in anything but looking good on television.
I would never look to the Palins for my moral compass. I know lots of people with children who have Downs Syndrom, and lots of people who chose to have their unplanned babies, so the Palins are not all that unique -They are unique in the respect that they continue to capitalize on what were ordinary decisions. One last comment - I felt so sorry for their daughter, Bristol, who so desperately needed her mother, and instead got a PR campaign.

Posted by: oldwoman | April 22, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

She chose her political opportunity over the safety of her unborn child when she accepted the offer to speak in TX at a GOP meeting when she was at term. Her water broke at the podium as she was speaking in TX. Instead of going to a neo-natal hospital there, knowing she was about to deliver a child with Down Syndrome and all of the potential for complications, she chose to lie to the airlines when she boarded a flight home; not telling them she was in labor. She knew they could not allow her to board putting every other passenger, and her unborn baby at risk, so she lied. WHY? Out of love for her baby, that boy who she now speaks of being a 'miracle'? Did she possibly think that by not going to the hospital in TX., or in Seattle during the long lay over between her flights, or in Alaska when she passed by the neo-natal hospital to drive even further in labor to deliver her baby...where? No birth certificate of exactly where Trig was born has been found from any hospital. Where was he born, and why don't we know?
More importantly, did she choose to make the delivery more difficult, with the same idea she admits to having had at the beginning of her pregnancy..to tax the baby enough so that it may not live to complicate her political aspirations?
SHE IS AN AWFUL MOTHER.

Posted by: scharshere | April 22, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

This is an excecise in religious stupidity.The palins as a family want the average Joe six pack family to see them for what they are not and for many self styled conservatives the right to chioce is the perogative of a woman and the gift of freedom and liberty is meaningless if another person has to make the decision for the other.Enough of foisting political driven family values on others.
Now that her 17 years old daughter has given birth to a son with a 17 years old father, they may see the reason for sex education and that there is time for everything.With the divorce rate growing every year, children should be adviced to face their books and concentrate on matters of the moment (educating themselves before becoming parents).

Posted by: yaqman | April 22, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

God has Down's syndrome? First I'd heard.

Posted by: timothykeller | April 22, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse