Obama Burger Firestorm Still Raging

Fallout over President Obama's burger outing continues. Freedom-fry loving conservatives are venting over the president's choice of Dijon mustard, while foodies of all political stripes are mortified by the omnivore-in-chief's preference to have his burger cooked - gasp! - medium well.

Taking the lead for the right, Sean Hannity railed against the cheeseburger blasphemy on his Fox News show last night, rallying his many incensed followers to accuse MSNBC, and Andrea Mitchell in particular, of waging a "cover-up" of Obama's Dijon mustard eating ways during the cable network's coverage of the burger outing.

Cornell law school professor William Jacobson has been obsessively chronicling what he has dubbed "dijongate" on his blog. "Obama ordered his burger with DIJON MUSTARD! Bet he had to seek John Kerry's counsel on that," writes Jacobson.

He, too, notes the alleged cover-up by the mainstream media, noting that Mitchell "didn't mention one arugula-like fact" - which was that Obama had the gall to ask for Dijon mustard. "You couldn't hear it on the MSNBC video because Andrea and her correspondent Kelly O'Donnel (they needed two people to cover this story) were talking so much," says Jacobson.

And don't even get the foodies started.

As Washington Post food critic Tom Sietsema can attest, the very first question he was asked Wednesday during a regular online chat was about the president and Vice President Joe Biden's trip to the now and forever famous Ray's Hell Burger across the river in Arlington, Va.

"How could our fearless leader go to Ray's Hell-Burger and order his burger 'medium well,'" the first questioner asked, adding, "Sacrilege. Everyone knows the only way to eat one of those burgers is medium (at most) or medium rare. He and Biden both ordered their burgers medium well (yes, I'm one of the idiots who watched him do so on Youtube). I have lost faith in Obama's judgment. "

Sietsema answered, "I was surprised they got their burgers so thoroughly cooked, too! Oh, well, at least the two are getting out and exploring the city and its environs. That's what pleases me most. "

But that did little to quell the outrage. Another questioner and apparent Obama fan wrote, "Oh, the humanity! The President likes his burgers MEDIUM WELL. I'd rather eat shoe leather myself. What can we as Americans do to correct this disaster? As for no ketchup, if that's his preference, then so be it. I just hope he doesn't get nailed as a fancy pants elitist for requesting dijon mustard. "

A blogger at "Slashfood, meanwhile, writes, "While I approve of his decision to top his burger with cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, and dijon mustard, I must strenuously object to his choice to have it grilled medium well. Although not as egregiously awful as well done, medium well is still pretty heavily overcooked. If President Obama wants to eat a hockey puck, the man should order a hockey puck. If he wants a burger, he should go with, at most, medium rare."

Of course, the president may just be taking common sense precaution. The FDA long ago recommended that hamburgers be cooked to 155 degrees to prevent E. coli bacteria poisoning.

Burgers being such a sensitive topic, the White House declined to comment on the record. But a White House aide who hails from the Midwest defended the president, telling the Sleuth, "That's how we eat them in the Midwest."

By Mary Ann Akers  |  May 7, 2009; 10:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bloomberg/Vanity Fair Team Up For Tough Ticket
Next: Mexico Spends a Bundle to Woo Back Tourists

Comments

I'm much more concerned about medium well than dijon mustard. Dijon is far better than "French's" or equivalent (although the best would be spicy brown).

Posted by: ah___ | May 7, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

The thing about Ray's Hell Burger is that they don't purchase pre-ground beef, which is what the FDA's recommendation was geared towards in the first place. I believe it's done twice a day, but I know that they grind their own meat from premium cuts of beef, because I've seen them doing so. Also, a true burger connoisseur doesn't eat the same burger all the time. I know I make it a habit to pick different toppings everytime I go to Ray's. Maybe he was just in a dijon mustard mood.

Posted by: swwj | May 7, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Hannity really is a walking parody.

Posted by: rashomon | May 7, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Is this something from The Onion? Are people really up in arms over this? Really? I mean.....REally? I guess this is coming from a society where people care more about American Idol than the election of their President.

I go to Ray's twice a week, at least...the Dijon Mustard is great, and medium well is his preference, so be it....give me a break. Get a life

Posted by: sicksidvt | May 7, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

A Cornell Clinical Law Professor is wasting time on this? What does that tell you?

Posted by: sophie2 | May 7, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Did Joe Biden's AIPAC speech that morning instigate a desire for red meat?

Posted by: jepysdad | May 7, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

And he's lost the vegetarian & vegan vote for 2012

Posted by: GWGOLDB | May 7, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I think it's great that they got out and tasted a little bit of Arlington. I'm glad they didn't hit the burger joint of that Top Chef contestant, altho I heard it's pretty good. I think they should go out for ice cream with their families next. I know the perfect place: Scoop Beauregard's in Arlington!

Posted by: tbantug | May 7, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

This might be a cultural thing. I'm Black, and this is by no means true across the board, but most black people I know prefer their meat cooked more thoroughly than my white friends who I've seen eat burgers that barely qualify as rare. The Dijon mustard thing is more worrisome to me for his public image, but I think we're ready to move on from dissing France at every turn.

Posted by: CrestwoodKat | May 7, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

"And he's lost the vegetarian & vegan vote for 2012
Posted by: GWGOLDB"

Posted by: sicksidvt | May 7, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

We're talking a burger here, folks, not a NY Strip - the FDA warning aside, there's more than a little bit of difference between a burger that's cooked medium rare and a steak -

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | May 7, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Grow up, you fools. Is this The Onion? I mean, WTF, is this what the radical, draft-dodging American right has come to, throwing their fouled underpants into the air, wailing about mustard? You should ALL be deported to North Korea, you jerks.

Posted by: tabby_titsworth | May 7, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

oh right - thanks tabby - are these people serious? I'm supposed to eat crappy food because somehow it's considered elitest to want some taste with your meal?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | May 7, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I think the real story here is that Muslim/atheist Barry Sotero made his first burger choice Ray's HELLburger, a clear affront to Christians and to the Christian values that built our nation.

Posted by: IrvingStreete | May 7, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

What a shame Mary Ann... you too are guitty of continuing to waste people's time with this discussion...

Posted by: ptrcmrnd | May 7, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm just waiting for the flood of restaurants offering an "Obama Burger" on their menus. If I had a restaurant, I'd be offering one by now.

Posted by: mbmclaughlin | May 7, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

This has to be a cultural thing. I am black as well and Ive always eaten my burgers/steaks well done. So does everybody in my family, all of my friends and associates etc. that are black. Im sure there are expections. Personally Ive never known black people to eat bloody meat. Ive experienced many a blak folk end meat back because it has to much "pink" in it. lol

Posted by: dus_37 | May 7, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

The problem is, none of is sure the fulsome idiot Hannity was kidding about the mustard.

I mean, he was, wasn't he?

Posted by: whistling | May 7, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm Black as well and I don't eat any meat unless it's thoroughly cooked meaning medium-well to well-done.... But I'm done with red-meat anymore, unless it's certified organic.... I don't want steroids in my food......

Posted by: CoCoSausage | May 7, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to that "Autotune the News #2" video, I can't help but think of an angry gorilla anytime Hannity is mentioned.

I feel sorry for anyone who takes that fool seriously.

Posted by: bigbrother1 | May 7, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Concerning the sturm and drang regarding the eating of a burger, one must consider whether anyone takes the feigned offenses seriously or is it just true that the left has no sense of humor?

Posted by: edbyronadams | May 7, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

>>"And he's lost the vegetarian & vegan vote for 2012
Posted by: GWGOLDB"

>Hmmm...Is that because they thought he was a vegetarian or vegan? I mean, I followed the campaign pretty closely, I don't recall once where he said he was either...this is not the first time he's eaten meat in public (if thats what you're getting at)

I assumed that everyone knew that vegetarians and vegans are generally well far to the left of center

Posted by: GWGOLDB | May 7, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

rashomon wrote

"Hannity really is a walking parody."

I personally think he's more parroty than parody. Then again, I've been told that parrots are capable of learning and that certainly works against my hypothesis. Well, no matter what, the guy's some kind of bird brain.

Posted by: kguy1 | May 7, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm a life long Democrat, a proud progressive, and an ardent supporter of everything Obama BUT this is freaking unacceptable!! Dijon mustard on a...let me get this right...medium well burger???? How dare this traitor!!!! What's next, he'll want wheat bread on his sandwich???? WTF???? I will never, ever vote for this guy again!!!!!!!!!!!! Total traitor to our country!!!!

Posted by: Andoy | May 7, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

So, on one hand, President Obama is too elitist with his choice of mustard.

On the other hand, he is too low class with his choice of how he wants his burger cooked.

...The GOP may well find itself wandering out in the desert for 40 years...

Posted by: rebeccajm | May 7, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Handsome_John_Pruitt | May 7, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Coco, other blacks, I'm black also and have a preference for well done meat. We have to remember Barack is only half black thus this particular culinary preference. This so funny. As for you who are serious, even offended about it, ROLFLMAO @u!

Posted by: pjackson20 | May 7, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"Why bother with this Ray's dump when Five Guys is right down the street? Especially if he wanted fries."

But, Five Guys sucks.

Posted by: IrvingStreete | May 7, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Ok really? This is news and people are fired up about it? Good lord, I don't EAT burgers, period. Should I be upset that our President dare eat a piece of meat (overcooked or not)?

Ridiculous. Please Fox News, can you share, oh I don't know...THE NEWS??? And keep the personal commentary to yourselves.

Posted by: Ellvee | May 7, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I mean, he was, wasn't he?

Posted by: whistling | May 7, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I was struck not by what the President and Vice President ordered, but their lack of manners in ordering it. No "please" or "thank you" to be heard.

Posted by: juicy2 | May 7, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

a 10 oz burger is pretty big - I would order it medium well-done also, just to make sure that the inside got cooked a little bit.

As for the Dijon mustard... I'll hold off comment until I find out whether the guy puts ketchup on hot dogs or not

Posted by: hohandy1 | May 7, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"You are what you eat" must be true because Hannity looks like a Big Mac.

How people can sit all day dazzled by RNC Fox News is beyond me. I guess if it's anti-Obama, it's "fair and balanced" to them.

Posted by: coloradodog | May 7, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Why is it elist to order Dijon mustard. The guy has a gourmet chef cook his lunches daily - WTF.

Posted by: Buckystown | May 7, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

This is about as pathetic as it gets. I'd say it shows he has good taste, because Dijon is about the only mustard worth eating. What next: What he does when he goes to the toilet. Get real folks. With all of the other problems in the World right now, it this even worth writing about. It's a sad, sad day. Doris C.

Posted by: DVD291 | May 7, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Not to be mean, but did anyone else notice that the restaurant did not do a perfect job with the president's order?

He clearly said he and Biden wanted to split the cheesey potato side, but instead the potatoes came entirely on Biden's plate. (Shouldn't they have put it in a basket or something?)

And the waiter gave the president the vice president's plate, which is probably the diners' fault but still...

Posted by: dhanks | May 7, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I've tried to look up "Risqu" in the dictionary and could only find risque, a word with which I'm familiar. How does your editor, or you as the writer, allow a headline like this appear??
I'm so disgusted with how the English language is being mis-used that I've started "fighting back". The errors, misuse and mis-spellings are EVERYWHERE and even on the news! What has become of issuing BA's in Journalism? They don't appear to have much meaning anymore!
I know I'm not alone in this as I've seen others comment on other articles as well.
Yes,I'm a college instructor and I DO correct student errors in writing. Many students come to me "ill prepared" for college writing.
What is going on? We appear to be going backward in speaking and writing. Like the little Dutch Boy, I'm standing here with my finger in the dike with no hope of stemming the flood.

Posted by: Deewoodcca1 | May 7, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't anyone understand the superiority of Mr. Mustard?

About the 'shared' potato side order going to Biden: anyone who has seen him eating breakfast at his favorite diner in Delaware (just over the border from Pennsylvania) realizes how dangerous it would be to stick your hand in between Biden and fried potatoes.

Posted by: dougkahn | May 7, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Let get the record straight. This should not be a discussion of what the President eats or does not eat, it should be about the inaccuracies of the media’s reporting on the topic. If rather then open one’s load mouth about “Mustard Gate”, FOX and other journalists had listened to the tape, and gotten the facts, they would clearly hear the President requesting “I just want mustard, no ketchup. If you have got like a spice muster or something like that or a Dijon mustard, something like that.”
So to be fair to the President the man just wanted muster not ketchup and he did not care what type it was.

As for the point about a medium well burger, I hope the President and VP were advised by a staffer, that has eat at Ray’s, to order the burger medium well if they did not wish to get the very tasty burger juices all over their white shirts and ties before a meeting with an other head of state. Ray’s burgers rock but the buns can’t hold up to a 10-once medium raw burger and all of its delicious juices.

Posted by: robgib | May 7, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"Dijon" is a style of mustard, perhaps originating in France but who knows. It is available from a number of American manufacturers.

So what's the deal with that? Would Obama have gotten as much grief if he'd asked for guacamole or taco sauce on his burger?

Posted by: lpryluck1 | May 7, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

America's tabloid mentality on full display. I feel so embarassed for the WaPo, Fox, et al.

Posted by: JKJ88 | May 7, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

You have got to be kidding? Persons are upset that this man, albeit the President of the United States, ordered his cheeseburger medium well??? How many of us don't order a burger to our specific tastes? Isn't he allowed to do the same? When I place an order for a burger or steak, my preference is to have my meat cooked WELL DONE because I don't want to see pink or red ANYWHERE. As such, does that make me un-American because that's how I want them? Let's not forget that we are all unique with varying tastes and appetites. With all this energy being used to thrash the President about how his burger is cooked and his choice of Dijon mustard, we could perform a much more worthwhile service by volunteering or by providing a helping hand to our neighbor and community.

Posted by: melindajones | May 7, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Is this news? MSNBC, FOX, or Washington Post. Who gives a crap if the guy ate a burger or how? Whoop-Dee-Do! I guess it was Ray's lucky day when these jokers decided to grace the place with their presence.

With all that is going on in the world! Geez!

Posted by: LMW4 | May 7, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I am now dumber for reading that. Get a life people. I am glad he went out and enjoyed his city and its environ unlike the good for nothing Bushes.

Posted by: mjwies11 | May 7, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

After reading some of these comments, I have one comment:

ALL OF YOU GET A LIFE ! !

Posted by: swanieaz | May 7, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Ah-h-h:

Sean Hannity--ever the FOX Networks Lou Costello.

Posted by: Spectator | May 7, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I quickly have to defend medium-well burgers, anything pinker than that is revolting. It's basically eating raw meat. Gross. Anyway. I weep for our democracy when people actually give a damn about what sort of mustard the president orders or how he orders his burgers cooked. Grow up people.

Posted by: sophia86 | May 7, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Pjackson20, you're absolutely right. We can't forget he was raised by his White mother...but you know he went to enough cookouts in Chicago and ate enough of Michelle's cooking to lose any taste he may have had for "pink" meat!

Posted by: CrestwoodKat | May 7, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

That this is a story at all just shows that there truly are some people with too much time on their hands........

Posted by: tomt73 | May 7, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

All this nonsense about burgers and mustard,when the real issue is our prez and vice prez are enjoying a meal together in shirtsleeves like the rest of us working stiffs. It's kind of comforting to see after the last eight years of fear and undisclosed locations plus they even remembered the gang back at the office. I would work for this guy anytime,anywhere. So I don't care what they ate,enjoy guys you make us feel safe.

Posted by: ease99 | May 7, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Amerika get a life.

Posted by: whocares666 | May 7, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

C'mon - We all have our ways of enjoying a burger. For god's sake leave the guy alone. A lot of places refuse to cook a burger any way but well done. What a waste of time. You disturbed idiots - GET A LIFE!

Posted by: mtndance | May 7, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

The last I knew food was an individual choice. Obama can eat his food any way that makes him happy and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to get a life.

Posted by: blund | May 7, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Don't get on the Bruddah for medium-well beef. That's mainland foods!
Ask him how he wants his ahi... "Poke-style" he'll say.. "Mebee furikake-spiced, wif good wasabi onna side for dipp'n..."
Ya, bro... Not "Where's the beef?.. but Why the beef?"
Get some ono ahi for real eat'n!!!

Posted by: LoxReclusa | May 7, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

This is one of the most petty arse stories with comments to match that I've seen in a long time. Firestorm over burgers and fries...with all the economic mess that swirls about?

Give me a flipping break and tell us sometime that is directly applicable to improving everyday life.

Posted by: ldsw | May 7, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Another "out of context" ultra conservative attack:

His first sentence was :

Do you have any spicy mustard?

Posted by: retlibr | May 7, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

It is not a Black thing or a White thing, it is an E. coli bacteria thing. I am White and I eat my steaks rare and use to eat hamburgers rare until people started dying from E. coli, mad cow and various other food related illnesses. There was a time when you could trust the food producers but after 8 years of George Bush there is no one inspecting the food, not even commenting on that which comes in from foreign countries like China. Someone posted that Ray's Hell-Burger grinds their own meat in which case I would have a rare burger there but anywhere else no way, I love a rare hamburger but not enough to die for. PS good for Obama and Biden for eating like real men. I too like spicy mustard.

Posted by: info4 | May 7, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

You folks in DC really need to get a life... or at least some perspective. I expect this kind of coverage from Fox News and right-wing bloggers, but the Washington Post? In the world that we live in, does anyone really care what condiments the man puts on his food? Is this story worth the time and energy of a Post reporter? Please, please, please, please move on to a topic that matters.

Posted by: rocMM | May 7, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

WHERE'S THE BEEf !!

Posted by: Anadromous2 | May 7, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

For the love of Pete, it's a effing BURGER. Let the guy eat it as he pleases.

Posted by: thornwalker1 | May 7, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who has the temetry to comment on the president's choice of condiment needs to be dragged out in the street and stomped into oblivion.

Posted by: TOMHERE | May 7, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

To those trolls here who are getting all hot and bothered by this bit of snark from Sleuth...RELAX!

I know the DC pundits are not taken seriously because they often dwell on non-consequential subjects like "burgergate" here...

But Mary Ann is making fun of this tendency, not joining it!

NEXT: "BoGate"...is Bo's father a purebread or a mutt as rumored? Inquiring minds want to know!

Posted by: wagonjak1 | May 7, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

No wonder the country is in trouble, all these comments. How foolish are you living things that type. This is just not news, it is not even interesting. It is silly.

Posted by: therondr20 | May 7, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: therondr20 | May 7, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Who cares what President Barach Oboma eats for lunch, I sure don't, but I amd sure he dosen't have a clue on what to do with the prisioners at Gitmo being held for war crimes.

Posted by: a4853916 | May 7, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe the absurdity of this debate. I sometimes order my burger medium rare, or medium, or medium-well, or well-done, depends on my mood. I sometimes order my burger with plain yellow mustard, and sometimes I want a spicy mustard (I happen to be a mustard freak and love all types of mustard as well as the plain yellow kind). Who cares how Obama ordered his burger, he paid for it, and ate it, so its only his business, not pundits who have nothing better to waste their time on.

Posted by: qosmonaut | May 7, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

After what we put up with the last 8 years, he can eat it raw for all I care.

Posted by: marylandpkp | May 7, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Amateur. First, he picks hamburgers. Good choice. But, he doesn’t choose a common-man burger joint. Rather, he picks the bourgeoisie burger joint in Arlington. (No offense Mr. Landrum. Everything you serve is delicious.) Second, he orders his burger cooked medium well. Why not order beef jerky? Third, he asks for Dijon mustard. The compound contradictions are mind boggling.

It seems the President has not yet mastered political theatre in the diner. Next time, if the cameras are rolling, he should go to Faidley’s at Lexington Market or Chaps on Pulaski Highway. Neither is a chain. Both are in Baltimore. Both have strong reputations among and are patronized by the locals. When he orders, he shouldn’t specify too much. Rather, he should eat whatever they serve. Don’t worry, it will be delicious! I’ll demonstrate. “I’ll have a jumbo lump crab cake sandwich and a Natty Bo!”

Posted by: DCTofSE | May 7, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

He should have ordered it rare and pureed into a cup of fresh cow's blood like Glen Beck has for lunch every day.

Posted by: ozpunk | May 7, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

SO why is no one up in arms that the dumb twit Andrea Mitchell and NBC had to break into T.V. land and report on this. Cmon it is so shameful how he exploits the media. He is one step from Chavez.

Posted by: dfh_008 | May 7, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

This is dumb.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | May 7, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe how hard I'm laughing at this idiocy. People are upset because of the way the burger was prepared? Really?? Unbelievable. LMAO.

Posted by: ATLGuy | May 8, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

This only proves some people have far too much time on their hands!

Posted by: johncbonser | May 8, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

DIJON MUSTARD!

MEDIUM RARE BURGER!

IMPEACH OBAMA NOW!

Posted by: hayden1 | May 8, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

The conservative right fringe is in deep trouble if they can find fault with the way our president eats his burgers.

This just proves that they know NOT of which they blather.

Who eats a hamburger medium, after all the deaths and illnesses cause by mad-cow and ecoli. How stupid is that...pretty dam*n stupid.

Posted by: dematheart | May 8, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Nothing worse than a big old sloppy burger dripping all over you and making the sandwich fall apart. I would have ordered medium-well, too. As for the mustard...I'm from NY. We don't do mustard on our burgers, and when I relocated to VA, it took me a few months to remember to ask them to "hold the mustard". Although the Dijon thing does sound interesting. French or not, I like dijon...so that might be worth a try. Thank you, Mr. President , for inspiring me to broaden my horizons.

Posted by: suzq1964 | May 8, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, if we're going to split hairs (or mustard seeds) on this issue of vital importance, look at the video again--he asked for SPICY mustard first, then said Dijon, "or something like that."

Posted by: Doodlebug1967 | May 8, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

give me a break...let them eat in peace. Surely there are more important things to discuss in the world

Posted by: dublinperu47 | May 8, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I guess the republicans have really run out of things to be outraged over. I thought this was a gag article. I was waiting for the punchline. It seems that Hannity is the punchline.

Stay tuned for Hannity's next feigned outrage..."Grandpa: Friend or Foe?"

Posted by: kaizoku | May 8, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Don't you and the people writing these comments have anything better to do? Okay, same could be said of me, but for God's sake all the guy did was eat lunch.

Posted by: Tomhowarth | May 8, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Here's the President's historic first flight on Air Force One -- broadcast by National Geographic in HD and archived for future generations by YouTube.

He's never met the crew before this moment...

Posted by: SeriesZ | May 8, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah he is so comon an American now. This reminds me of the infamous Edwards event where they went to a hamburger place and then wanted "some of that" then went right back to their plane and got some fancy food. this is all pr and it unfortunately works.

Posted by: Cbergklint0001 | May 8, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Uh, he asked for "spicy mustard" as his first choice. Anyway, I thought Dijon was officially mainstream, now that there's Hellmann's "Dijonnaise."

Posted by: 1emike | May 8, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Great question, 1emike. This whole issue is a complete farce, as the powers of marketing and advertising have made a Kraft Foods product into something people automatically assume is a French product.

So how more un-american can one be by refusing to support the product of an American company?

Posted by: jp54721 | May 8, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm dissappointed that anyone gives a rat's a-- about how the President orders his hamburger prepared and least of all what type of dressing he applies to it. How about more on his health care initiative, pending efforts toward peace in the Middle East, pick anyone of the many critical issues, whether you agree with the Presdient report, write and share meaningful thoughts about the state of our union for God's sake. Take yourself more seriously than to write this diatribe.

Posted by: ciet253 | May 8, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Mary Ann, unfortunately you are out of touch with the truth. You've dubbed us the "angry right" and "incensed" over what Barry eats. I can tell you we could care less. What we are angry at is Barry's ultra left leaning philosophies such as National Socialism. Judging by your picture, and a nice one it is (I'm not kidding), you're to young to remember or experience of what we fought WWll for. It was to stop National Socialism. The kind Nazi Germany inflicted on Europe from 1936 till 1945. Hitler bombed London and the surrounding areas for 4 straight years all in the name of National Socialism. My father told me many frightening stories as he was stationed there. Allot of brave men died to keep us free. Of course you were probably born around 1980 and lived thru the the prosperity of the 7 Fat Years of Ronald Reagan. You probably grew up in a nice area with no knowledge of what our country went thru to throw off the shackles of National Socialism. The folks who fought were and are still conservative, who love their country deeply and are ashamed of this president. He, also, grew up in good times. Could you imagine your outlook on the "angry right" when those buzz bombs that that were raining down like droplets of rain in London were dropping on you? No, I don't think you could. You believe the Left is the greatest thing to happen to this country. Go and tell that to my Dad. Go and that to the GI graves at Normandy. Go and tell that to all of the brave GI men and women's graves.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Posted by: officialcrewchief | May 8, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

You know the fox people are cannibals and vampires. They drink blood and eat raw meat for sport. Ketchep is red too. They just can't get over the fact that we have two decent, smart, intelligent men running the country. Thank god the cowboys, are gone. Stupid people are a real danger to america. DOWN WITH FOX NEWS.

Posted by: isom696 | May 8, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, the firestorm is in Santa Barbra.

Posted by: isom696 | May 8, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Obama mever mentioned Grey Poupon specifically in his order, but FYI that the mustard seeds for GP are grown in the US and shipped to France for processing. Obama was trying to support American farmers through his call on mustard, which nobody is mentioning.

Posted by: bpai_99 | May 8, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Do you have no other problems in the US ?

Posted by: mixedbreed | May 9, 2009 5:51 AM | Report abuse

How ridiculous!! No wonder the GOP is going the way of the Dodo bird as it follows the likes of Hannity and Limbaugh over a cliff.

As for wanting a burger cooked medium well rather than rare, have these cons ever heard of e-coli?? Probably not, that would require much too much science for them.

Posted by: mcafla | May 9, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Whoop De Do!! WhooP! De ! De! There are better news worthy. Just because - Obama-Burger King, likes his burger with Dijon mustard is the lowest of the low in journalism. Stay in Tune you Journalist, if that is what you are! Stay on top with what is going on behind closed doors of the White House, Senate and House of Representatives; where they discuss and broker our Nation into National Socialism.
President Obama and Associates, are selling our nation out from in under us.

Rev. Dale D. Connell

Posted by: zabud45 | May 9, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

For gosh sake is this crazy or what. Eat a hamburger the way you want and let the president eat what he wants. If worrying about what Obama eats on his hamburger or how it is cooked is all people have to do I pity them. We have real problems to worry about, not what someone eats. Get a life.

Posted by: hrboher1 | May 9, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

A quick glance at a thread will usually tell you what its about. If not to your liking, find another one. I enjoyed this . . . it was silly and fun. My top pick was DougKahn's comment about sticking your hand between Biden and fried potatoes. We all need a good laugh now and then.

Posted by: rawreid | May 9, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

OK...Now what's the big deal about dijon mustard at Ray's? Why the continuous noise over this nonsense? Ray's has many dispensers for condiments and regular mustard and "dijon" are among them. So is "ketchup" and "catsup". No big deal. This foolish anti-Obama obsession of Hannity is costing him plenty of manhood points. The dijon mustard obsession is proof of the idiocy of those who are quick to prejudge a situation without patronizing the place and examining the options.

Posted by: bcs2k | May 10, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

By the way I'm black and years ago I ate burgers & steaks well done. Until I tried medium and never went back. I can't understand why people like eating leather. I refuse to eat "crispy" meat. A lot of black folks think my food taste is weird but it suits me fine.

Posted by: bcs2k | May 10, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

ABSOLUTE NONSENSE. There are many more important issues than hamburgers and the kind of mustard used. For someone who has lost their job, their home and their possessions does anyone think they give a care about such nonsense.

Posted by: mpomroy | May 10, 2009 3:08 AM | Report abuse

It's not even real French mustard. The Repug's have their panties in a twist over Obama's use of an American product--the stuff is made by Kraft.

Posted by: Cheryl3 | May 10, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm a conservative, but I don't see what the big deal is. So he likes spicy mustard like Dijon. So do I. And as for French's, that's named after the family, not a statement of national origin. Besides, that freedom fries bit is old. Medium well done? In a restaurant like that which grinds its own beef, why not? It tastes better than cooking the burgers till they're dried out. I may not like Obama's and Biden's politics, but that's no reason to make a big deal about how they eat their burgers.

Posted by: lifestudent | May 11, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse