(F) Bombs Away at White House Happy Hour

Rahm Emanuel got a dose of his own medicine at last night's weekly bipartisan White House mixer for members of Congress.

Rep. Steven LaTourette (R-Ohio), one of only a handful of Republicans who made the cut for this week's happy hour, gave his old colleague one doozy of an F-bomb greeting. Emanuel couldn't have done it better himself.

With an impressively straight face, LaTourette walked up to Rahm and said something that began with "you mother" followed by a number of bleeped out expletives, according to eyewitnesses.

Emanuel responded by giving LaTourette a friendly punch in the stomach, followed by a handshake. LaTourette then introduced Rahm to his wife, Jennifer LaTourette, a lobbyist who used to be Congressman LaTourette's chief of staff before she became Mrs. LaTourette.

Emanuel, the former congressman turned White House chief of staff, is so famous for his way with four-letter words that President Obama joked at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner over Mother's Day weekend that Rahm is "not used to saying the word 'day' after 'mother.'" Obama also said, "For Rahm, every day is a swearing-in ceremony."

Besides LaTourette, the group of Republicans who were invited to the White House last night included Reps. Jo Ann Emerson of Missouri, Tom Cole of Oklahoma, Zach Wamp of Tennessee and Erik Paulsen of Minnesota. (But only LaTourette managed to curse out, or out curse, Emanuel.)

Obama and first lady Michelle Obama, as usual, made an appearance. The president gave no formal speech but chatted and posed for photos with the members and their guests as they sipped champagne and cocktails and nibbled on bite-sized tuna tartar and other passed hors d'oeuvres.

Among the Democrats who were there last night were Reps. John Tanner of Tennessee and his wife, Betty Ann; Joe Courtney of Connecticut; David Price of North Carolina; Jane Harman of California; Diana DeGette of Colorado and her daughter, Raphaela Lipinsky DeGette, president of college Democrats at Brown University; Brad Ellsworth of Indiana; and Eliot Engel of New York, who tried to bend Obama's ear on the Middle East.

By Mary Ann Akers  |  May 21, 2009; 5:28 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DSCC Cashing In On Obama
Next: Norm Coleman Limping Along

Comments

Rahm gives it and in the same spirit he takes it. He absolutely knows the rules of 'dubbing' politics and public relations. With a smile on his face.. he's likely to pass the test everytime, with or without "The bomb". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYkUXOvxs4w

Posted by: Victoria5 | May 21, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Rahm Emanuel will give the commencement address at Sarah Lawrence College tomorrow (5/22)beginning at 10am. See it here: http://tr.im/lZfV

Posted by: eric_cox | May 21, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps the Chief of Staff has LaTourette's Syndrome.

Posted by: anandakos | May 21, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

It sounds like he may be suffering from LaTourettes syndrome.

Posted by: djschu | May 21, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

" Rahm Emanuel will give the commencement address at Sarah Lawrence College..."

Sorry, I can't get this SNL skit out my mind!

Posted by: csmalljr | May 21, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

And then Rahmy walked over to Dick Cheney, and told Dicky: "Go f&^%k yourself".

Posted by: IpiTombi | May 21, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

we know that rahm is a foul-mouthed creep, but that's not the obscene part...the obscene part is his active support for the daily murder of Afghani and Pakistani children by aerial bombing, in a cause that has nothhing to do with US security.

Rahm's support for Israel's war crimes in the Gaza is the obscene part.

Posted by: usgovtisimmoral | May 21, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Such a bunch of jerks! I am ashamed to admit that these "elected" officials represent the people of the united States. This microscopic slice of their behavior says everything: they are Saul Alinsky ghetto gang bangers who have captured our country by underhanded methods and fraud. Paul Revere time.

Posted by: Reisrrk | May 21, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

This is not that bad. Its 2 guys who are friends. They were joking around, like normal men do. This actually shows our politicans are not just machines but somewhat normal people

Posted by: jtackeff | May 21, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

The beginning of this article has such an incestious tone to it. Sounds like a bunch of "buds" getting together to sip a few "brewskies.
Sometimes I think this whole political party thing with all of its various offshoots like talk radio is realy a sham.... That it is us (the electorate) against them (the elected) and that they could really care less that millions don't have health insurance, or that their 401's are destroyed, or that their house value is gone.
All this winking and blinking that goes on in Washington, and other seats of power is suspect and we Democrats, Republicans, and Independents need to keep alert; we are vulnerable.

Posted by: gary44 | May 21, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

This is called socializing; perhaps many of you would be critical of each others views if you broaden your horizon by socializing with people who have different view and lifestyles than you do. It will radically change your life!

Posted by: roses21 | May 21, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Good to know that the WasPo is on the front line protecting America from...bad word using congressmen......

Posted by: apprxam | May 21, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

F Bomb segues are the best.
Long live The Letter F.

Regards
dePaul Consiglio

Posted by: depaulconsiglio | May 21, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

The aptly named Rep. LaTourette.
Is he the same one who has the syndrome
named after him?

Posted by: Larkinvos | May 21, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

What's the problem? I call Rahm and Obama GD MF SOB FU Go to hell about once an hour. Free Speech, biatches.

Posted by: georgejones5 | May 21, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

William J Jefferson, was he named after Thomas Jefferson, or George Jefferson? I'd be thinkin that George Jefferson would be havin money in the freezer, Weezy!

Posted by: georgejones5 | May 21, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Only good democrat is a dead one.

Posted by: georgejones5 | May 21, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Was AIPAC not invited?Ohh-just E.Engel to try to bend Obama into the line with what Nathananu dictates.Forgot J Harman did represent AIPAC and Israel her MAIN interest. Is shee still a USA Citisen????What a SHAME!

Posted by: handjacan | May 21, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

It's going to be a looooooooooooong four to eight years for georgejones5.

I think we should repeal the 22nd Amendment, so that Obama can win a third term and prolong georgejones5's agony.

Oh, and your death threat has been reported, george.

Posted by: jasperjava | May 22, 2009 2:52 AM | Report abuse

rep la tourette is only living up to his name, since he apparently has tourette's syndrome.

Posted by: stargirl1991 | May 22, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I wish people would get their definitions straight. "Profanity primarily refers to profaning something religious; "God damn" is a profanity. What LaTourette called Rahm Emanuel is an obscenity. This causes all kinds of problems when laws are being proposed because profanities are religion-based and obscenities are sensibility-based.

Posted by: the_hillbilly | May 22, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

As a lifelong Democrat, I am insulted by the lack of class Emanuel purports himself at times and for that matter the Republican La Tourette also. But I am even more embarrassed at myself for wasting my time reading this blog and then further by submitting this post......but I believe this is the price I pay to be informed. Taking a chance on hopefully reading thought provoking blogs versus this nit-wit blog episode.

Posted by: gypconco | May 22, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

When the level of vulgarity, displayed by Obama at the Correspondents Dinner in his swarmy relating Rahm's potty mouth to greetings for Mothers Day, is passed over, what can be expected? And Obama lectures the country about values; low-class values!.

Posted by: vltg | May 22, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and your death threat has been reported, george.

Posted by: jasperjava | May 22, 2009 2:52 AM

I agree with george. GFY jj

Posted by: jschovet | May 22, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Every job I had there were rules against foul and vulgar words and since "we the people" employ all of those people in Congress, it should be mandated that all of these vile words should be banned while you are on gov't grounds. They are offensive to most people and should not have to be listened to no matter who is uttering them.

Posted by: kneec7773537 | May 22, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Tourette's syndrome doesn't necessarily involve cursing and F bombing. The term for that particular malady, and I'm not making this up, is coprolalia. This term is a combination of two Greek words, copro which means feces and lalia which means to babble. There are two further related dysfunctions: copropraxia which means the performing of obscene or forbidden gestures and coprographia--the making of obscene drawings or writings. I can't think of a better discription of what goes on in our nation's congress every day: crap talk, dumping crap on us, and writing crap laws. Crapdoodle all the day long.

Posted by: somebonus | May 22, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I get that profanity is beyond just an attention getter, these days. I do, however, long for the days when, how we talked to each other, was an indication of the respect we had for that person. No biggie, I suppose, but, I do miss it.

Posted by: roanns | May 27, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Seems like class is of secondary importance in qualities we expect of our congressmen and leaders these days. I just wish we had more “real” statesmen in government in general. Many people laugh at Ron Paul yet he has the true qualities I respect in a public representative of the United States of America. jtackeff wrote: “This is not that bad. Its 2 guys who are friends. They were joking around, like ‘normal’ men do” I think I’m a fairly “normal” guy and I don’t talk like that when I’m with my friends. At the ripe old age of 67, I move and walk funny with my cane and all but you would be surprised how many people young and old open and hold the door for me. You can take the person out of the …. but you can’t take the …. out of the person. How does that song go? “We won’t get fooled again….”

Posted by: Jimmy7 | May 27, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse