How To Budget Like An Intern
Our intern Emma Carew is back again! We love to see persistence. And Emma has a lot to write about from personal experience, especially as a summer intern in Washington. She polled her colleagues for their favorite tips on living large for less that anyone can use, even if your intern days are a distant memory. We won't tell.
What are your best intern-worthy tricks? Send them to Emma at carewe[at]washpost.com or post them in the comments.
For the most part, we Washington interns are broke. And while we anxiously wait for pay day we have to get creative. So here are the Washington Post Intern09 tips on living on a budget.
Editorial writer Alexandra Petri:
* If you are at all a Starbucks aficionado, get one of their membership discount cards. It costs $20 but gets you 10 percent off, which definitely pays for itself over time.
Copy editor Morgan Schneider:
* Order an “intern latte” — a double espresso over ice at your favorite coffee shop and add your own milk at the bar.
* Blend softened butter with olive oil and stick in a Tupperware — cheaper butter spread, better for you! Use about two sticks of butter to one-third cup oil to start, add more oil if you like it softer.
* Telling you to eat ramen is too obvious. And gets mildly boring after a while. Try using seasoning packets from ramen to flavor fried rice, chicken or anything else. For 13 cents a pop, it’s a great dose of salty flavoring. But caution: use sparingly.
Metro reporter Martin Ricard:
* Give up TV to cut down on bills. I’ve realized now that since I don’t like most of what’s on cable anyway, I can get all the entertainment satisfaction I need with my laptop, Hulu and a Netflix account.
July 29, 2009; 7:00 AM ET
Categories: Bargains , Ylan Q. Mui
Save & Share: Previous: 401(k) Accounts Recovering
Next: Double Whammy: Higher Credit Card Rates, More Credit Card Debt
Posted by: MzFitz | July 29, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: newengland1 | July 29, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: laura33 | July 29, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: eemcgee | July 29, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: gettingdizzy1 | July 29, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: mattintx | July 30, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.