Call-ups for Mexico match

The USSF is planning to announce its training camp roster this afternoon. Don't be surprised if five DCU players are included -- Perkins, Boswell, Namoff, Carroll and Gros.

Which means they would miss the first week and a half of United training camp.

USA-Mexico is Feb. 7 at the new football stadium in suburban Phoenix.

By Steve Goff  |  January 24, 2007; 11:38 AM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Defining Beckham
Next: USA roster unveiled

Comments

I am a little concerned about where the chemistry will be with the infusion of new players, other ones missing training camp, and the earlier start to the season.

Posted by: Dave | January 24, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Whats the latest on Nolly? Is McIntosh still around as a keeper or is it the two rookies battling it out when Troy is out with the Nats?

And how did you rate Namoff at right back against Denmark? He is getting trashed by many on BigSoccer.

Posted by: the cheat | January 24, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

DCU will know more about Nolly's status next week.

Perkins is the top keeper, with McIntosh and two rookies -- Robles and Crowe -- in the mix for the two reserve spots.

I haven't watched the USA match closely enough to give you an opinion on Namoff. Sorry...

Posted by: Goff | January 24, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Steven. Appreciate the quick response.

The bashing of Namoff was that many were saying he had no confidence with the ball at his feet going forward etc...But Namoff has been playing on a 3 man backline for years and doesnt make many runs up the wings.

He didnt give the ball away like Bornstein, but he's not going to score goals either. I'd rather have a dependable stay at home right back (especially in a 3-5-2) but thats just me.

Posted by: the cheat | January 24, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I'd just like to say, I love this blog! Thanks Steve.

Posted by: dan | January 24, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Come on Arsenal, beat them Spurs! The prestigious Carling Cup is beckoning.

Posted by: SMACK | January 24, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Arsenal are crap without me.

Posted by: Dennis Bergkamp | January 24, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I assume Ben Olsen is not getting callups because of his age (in 2010). Am I wrong?

Posted by: Fred Bush (no relaton to W) | January 24, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Steve,
Great blog.

On the new player signing front, the front office seems to be more tight-lipped than usual about the identities of potential new recruits - is that your take as well (I recall some more concerete, yet cryptic clues about Erpen prior to his signing)?

Based on them dabbling with Ruy/Donnet signings, it would seem as if they are focusing on a right-sided midfielder as opposed to a lefty - do you get that sense?

Also, we have read about possible DCU relationships with San Lorenzo and Atletico Mineiro - when/what do you expect to see come out of these relationships (I am guessing that we did not need such a relationship with SL to sign Lucio Filomeno since he used to play there a number of years ago).

Posted by: Zman | January 24, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Arsenal are still in the League Cup, FA Cup, CL and in CL qualification in the EPL table...And I have played half the season.

Posted by: T. Henry | January 24, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, not much information leaking out at the moment about DCU's wish list. Usually, something breaks in the South American media since that's where these players (and their publicity-seeking handlers) are based. Awfully quiet right now. Hopefully I'll uncover some clues soon.

Ideally, the club would like to sign two more South Americans (perhaps an established right-side midfielder and a young, versatile, inexpensive player). Stay tuned...

Posted by: Goff | January 24, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Steven,

I know you troll BigSoccer, but just in case you didnt see this...

Posted by: the cheat | January 24, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

As a fan of DC United, I'm glad these guys are getting some recognition for their play.

As a fan of the USMNT though, I'm pretty worried when Perkins, Namoff, Carroll and Gros are getting called into camp. They're great for United, but I just don't see them having a shot at the 2010 WC.

Posted by: dc_fan | January 24, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Is this the first callup for Gros? Does that mean Bradley thinks he can hit another level, or just that he wants to be very familiar with the journeyman types in emergencies? Or is Gros like Ricky Williams and just a good camp guy to challenge the starting 11 in practice?

Posted by: MM | January 24, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Is this a fixture date, and if so do you think there will be any of our European based players here? It'd be nice to field a half-way decent team against Mexico and not loose badly to them.

I understand the score in these friendlies doesn't matter, but getting spanked by Mexico wouldn't be good for Bradley's "interim" status....

Posted by: Dave | January 24, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

In my opinion, it's pretty clear and with precedent that Bradley shouldn't call the DC players or the Houston players so that can concentrate on Concacaf--a far more important competition for US soccer right now than a friendly with Mexico...

Posted by: Nick | January 24, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I think it's sort of a goodwill gesture not calling back European based players and upsetting their teams in the middle of their seasons. The travel, practice, and actual game play are one thing, but if somebody gets hurt? Chris Coleman would be pretty pissed if McBride or Bocanegra went down.

Posted by: SMACK | January 24, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Established right-side midfielder????

I know that there has been plenty of debate regarding Donnet (did DCU see enough of him to make a decision to bring him back or not? Based on his limited minutes, he seemed to have good offensive skills as a right mid or even an attacking mid cover for Gomez but perhaps his defensive qualities were not good enough).

I am surprised that DCU does not then take a run at Sergio Orteman, a 28 year old Uruguayan right mid who last played with Gomez's old club Independiente in the 2006 Apertura after stints in Mexico, Paraguay and Uruguay. He seems to not be in the team's plans for the 2007 Clausura after being a first teamer in the Fall. He was the Copa Liberatores MVP in 2002 with Olimpia of Paraguay. Reports are that he is talking to a team in Turkey but it sounds like he is available ... just a name to thrown into the mix of unfounded rumors.

Posted by: Zman | January 24, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I love google translations:
The Donnet (linked to above in spanish)
article is titled:
"They did not have eggs nor to speak to me"

and then this tidbit about being touched

" You were accustomed?
- I do not want to lose, and when she touches to me I am bad. But treatment to demonstrate another thing so that the climate is the best one. What it happened to me in Mouth is what one does not want. To Mouth they do not pay attention to the person, is all the opposite there."

Posted by: Rocko | January 24, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Gros -- I would have loved to see him in the WC game against Czech Republic . . . someone who would have run at them and not just sat back chewing his fingers.

I'm still so angry about that game . . .

Posted by: gringo | January 24, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

And regarding Perkins, who was it who wrote:
"Goalkeeper Troy Perkins was tested right away, needing to punch out Beckham's free-kick cross deep in the box in the opening minute. United responded two minutes later as Moreno missed the short side from eight yards, and Perkins made the first of several nice saves by stopping Ruud van Nistelrooy's low bid in the 18th minute."

Posted by: gringo | January 24, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't really see Gros, or Namoff challenging for first team USMNT honors, but I could see Carrol and Perkins being in the mix. I think Carrol still hasn't reached his full potential just yet.

Posted by: AlecW81 | January 25, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse