Starring...

MLS will hold a news conference tomorrow in Denver to announce that the All-Star Game will be played at the new stadium just outside that city in mid-July. The opponent will be Glasgow Celtic.

Which raises the question: If DCU pounded Celtic 4-0 last July, what will -- or what should -- the all-star team do to them this year?

By Steve Goff  |  January 24, 2007; 6:22 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA roster unveiled
Next: Q&A

Comments

Settle a dispute please, is Celtic
pronounced KELL TIC, or SELL TIC?

If Celtic plays the same team they brought last summer, the All Stars will reduce them to shreds. Then again, United was at their high point of the season around that game.

The bigger question is will Celtic sell out again and put of all things . . COORS LIGHT on the front of their jerseys like last summer? I'd be ashamed if I were a Scot.

Posted by: delantero | January 24, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Congrats on the blog Steven. You are officially bookmarked.

Posted by: Coop | January 24, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

It's Sell-tic like the Boston Celtics...I think I read somewhere they were originally named after Celtic Football Club...I could be wrong.

Posted by: Dave | January 24, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

And I was wrong...after doing a little research the Boston Celtics were named after Celtic FC

Posted by: Dave | January 24, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Will Beckham play? Seriously, even if he can't come over until RM's season ends, isn't there still a good chance that he will be on the squad as a Commissioner's choice? After all, they're paying the man $50M, he could at least play 45'.

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | January 24, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

No All Star team hastily put together and training over under a week is as good as a club team that plays together all the time. DC United beat them 4-0 because well, they play together all the time.

Don't think it will be a cakewalk to beat them. Depending on who makes the all star team it could easily be 2-1 MLS or 4-0 Celtic.

I don't expect a repeat of a 4-0 scoreline and neither should you. DC United is special that way. No one else in MLS is.

Posted by: Vamos United | January 24, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Im a Ranger fan (only because the took a chance on Reyna... ) and I'd be happy to go to Denver to see the All-Stars play Celtic. You got to figure the Strachan is going to be a little bit more prepared this time. They didnt seem to take DC very seriously and got whipped.

Posted by: Dave | January 24, 2007 7:49 PM | Report abuse

PS. This blog rocks. I'd even consider paying to get the paper version of the Post if it meant this blog will last.

Posted by: Dave | January 24, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I know last summer Celtic were missing a bunch of their first 11 for that game vs. DCU, as it was very soon after the world cup. I know venegoor of hesselink, nakamura, etc. didn't play. I think it would be a good game if Celtic could field a true first 11, but these games are always tough to judge because the European clubs are on a pre-season fitness tour and MLS fields a team at peak fitness but with no experience playing together.

And I agree with the earlier poster - no "third" or "European" jersey this time. I expect to see the green and white hoops.

Posted by: tmc | January 24, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Regarding COORS LIGHT...

Coors owns Carling.

There's no(t much) Carling in the US.

There's no(t much) Coors Light in the UK.

So they put Coors Light on the jersey to appeal to the American audience.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | January 24, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Also, Celtic did wear the hoops at one of their games in the US last year. New England, maybe?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | January 24, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Don't think the 4-0 scoreline is applicable. I support both DC United and Celtic, but DC was in the middle of it's season while Celtic was in it's pre-season and literally had landed that morning from Scotland (gametime was 12am GMT). Celtic looked tired and out of shape, most of the goals came in the second half when they began to falter.
This season Celtic is winning its league and beat Manchester United 1-0. They could loose as MLS has more motivation for bragging rights. But either way, should be a good game, I'll be watching.

Posted by: gallegoscot | January 24, 2007 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Denver is a good choice. Celtic is a lousy opponent. Would much rather see Boca or River or Chivas or Sao Paulo...

Posted by: Nick | January 25, 2007 4:39 AM | Report abuse

MLS All-Star Game....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Kim | January 25, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Better buy your ticket quick. Dicks only holds 18,000.

Posted by: SP | January 25, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

DCU:4
Celtic: 0

DCU-Lite: 2
Celtic: 1

Posted by: AlecW8 | January 25, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I was in Lisbon when Celtic visited for a Champions League match a few months ago. 10,000 Scots flooded the town. Good thing the MLS game is in Denver; wouldn't want the All-Star game before a hostile crowd (like all of our MNT games).

Posted by: Troy | February 1, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse