Taking Names

Pretty quiet on the soccer front today (so far). I do know that United is in the process of finalizing its training camp roster: veterans, drafted rookies, undrafted invitees, foreign signings (actually, just one, Luciano Emilio, for now).

Camp opens Monday at RFK. Depending on the weather, they'll either train outdoors on the artificial turf field or utilize the glamorous facilities inside the stadium. Off to Bradenton on Feb. 5.

United may also detail some youth team plans today or tomorrow.

By Steve Goff  |  January 25, 2007; 12:19 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Q&A
Next: Whatever happened to...

Comments

What about the Red Bulls' signing of Claudio Reyna yesterday under the Beckham exception? Some seem to argue that the Red Bulls "wasted" one of their two slots by using it on a past his prime American. I personally think that (subject to his being relatively injury free - no sure thing given his history) he will make a significant and positive impact on the field and in the locker room. Some contend that those slots are best used on players who will generate more PR for MLS. If one accepts that argument, your omission of any reference to Captain America's signing pretty well proves that the Red Bulls made a mistake using the Beckham exception for Claudio.

Posted by: John Cannon | January 25, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

i still can't get over the way DCU pushed Freddy Adu out the door --- please tell me that these people know what they're doing. I have tremendous doubt.

Posted by: michael anderson | January 25, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Adu was locker room cancer. We're better off without him. Case in point, watch how terrible RSL is this year, and watch how bad their morale will be.

Posted by: DCAustinite | January 25, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

DCAustinite, you're hating pretty hard on Freddy. I really thought he was the sole player on our roster who showed any urgency in the last month of last season. It looked to me like he was finally getting it. I was shocked when he was subbed out in the second leg of our playoff series (for Donnet if memory serves). Now, 500K a year? Certainly not worth that much, but I didn't think he was a total bust.

So yeah, losing Freddy was worrisome for me. The Esky move was cause for concern as well.

Moreno plays withdrawn, and is aging. Christian has to pick up playmaking duties, so can't be depended on to score every match. We need some firepower.

Who will it be? Can't wait to see.

Posted by: Matt | January 25, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Freddy needed to go; he was in a rut here and needed a new scene. Hopefully he'll grow up a bit and stop all the "I'll work my butt off" baloney, and just start making a name for himself by showing up every day and actually producing. Eskandarian also had great potential, but really didn't produce here except for a short stretch (of course, it was a great stretch, but it was short...)

I have faith in Kasper, he has brought some good folks in and isn't shy about pushing people out the door when it's their time to go. But, boy, we better get moving because I think NY is going to be a damn good team this season.

Posted by: Dave | January 25, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Fear not, DCU made a good decision to move Freddy. He wants to play in the positions currently occupied by Gomez and Moreno, but he is not currently good enough to beat either of those guys out. He has said he wants to head to Europe after this season, anyway. He was not content playing out on the flanks, and has shown in the past that he will play the diva if he is not happy.

As for the fan hate, I can tell you why he rubs me the wrong way. His bout of childishness prior to the '05 playoffs was a significant factor in that debacle. Although he had a fine season in '06, it wasn't enough to dispel that for me.

Posted by: Colin | January 25, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Adu going to RSL makes complete sense, both for him and DC United. The Eskandarian trade is a little more questionable. A roster with Moreno, Eskandarian, and Emilio rotating through the 2 starting forward spots seems better than Moreno and Emilio having to start every game, but who knows who DC will bring in at forward during the next seven months.

And that's an important point, DC doesn't have to bring in another quality striker until mid-season, when Moreno will surely need a break and the traditional MLS lull sets in.

Posted by: Marc | January 25, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse