Whatever happened to...

There's a bit of news about two DCU players in roster limbo this offseason -- midfielder Matias Donnet and defender David Stokes.

Technical director Dave Kasper tells me that, "at this point, Donnet is not in our plans."
Which is a clear sign that the club is moving closer to acquiring a new flank player from Argentina or Brazil at a cost that makes sense for both player and club. (United had decided not to pick up the option on Donnet's contract, which, I believe, was scheduled to pay him at least $200,000 this season.)

Meantime, Stokes, a Dumfries native whose contract has expired, is expected to join the team for preseason workouts -- essentially, he'll try to earn himself back onto the roster. "He seems to be very determined at this point," Kasper said.

By Steve Goff  |  January 25, 2007; 3:59 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taking Names
Next: Lots of Q's, a Few A's

Comments

Stokes? Ugh.

Please tell me we have better defenders on the horizon, Goff. Stokes hasn't proven himself in four years with the team. It's time to cut bait and move on.

Posted by: Jason | January 25, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

STOKES!

Posted by: 232 | January 25, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I hope this last attempt STOKES the flames of STOKES' desire.

I'll see myself out.

Posted by: Dan | January 25, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

go stokes.

Posted by: chipper | January 25, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Is another MLS team likely to pick up Donnet, or do you think he's headed back to South America?

Posted by: MM | January 25, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

is that what it takes to get him motivated? where was that motivation before?

Posted by: fever | January 25, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Stokes makes a pretty decent 7th defender, but that's about it

and we don't have many back up defenders besides J. Wilson and J. Needham, and that's assuming 3 in the back

Posted by: Diego R. | January 25, 2007 11:05 PM | Report abuse

BigSoccer (citing Spanish language press) says Donnet's off to Belgrano de Cordoba.

Posted by: Stan | January 25, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

They need to move Stokes up to a target forward... it worked for me in FIFA07 on PS2, banged home more headers off corners in one season than United has in it's 11 years as a team. As we all know, if it works in a video game, it works in real life.

Posted by: AlecW81 | January 26, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I never understood the Donnet move to begin with. As I recall, he was playing for the Boca Juniors reserves during the two years preceding his move to DC. (Is that the level that MLS sees itself?) As for Stokes, I agree with the comments of others. He may be OK as an emergency back-up, but it always scared the heck out of me when he was on the field. As stated by Jason, it seems hard to believe that there isn't more promising talent available out there.

Posted by: touchliner | January 26, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Stokes knows his only chance to play in MLS is to impress DC. No one else will talk to him. He better be motivated! But please Coach, don't offer him a contract.

Moving on, did anyone notice that former Terp Chris Lancos, a wide MF/D, was released from his contract with Kaiserslautern...he played with Dominic Mediate at College Park...I smell a tryout.

Posted by: Brian | January 26, 2007 7:36 PM | Report abuse