All About Emilio

In case you missed it on the Post Web site, here's a closer look at Luciano Emilio...

Enjoy!

By Steve Goff  |  February 9, 2007; 11:46 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Honors
Next: The Greek

Comments

Great job Goff. It's pretty nice to have a three-pronged attack and even nicer to see such a great guy join our club.

Posted by: Dave | February 10, 2007 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Goff. The guy seems to be the real deal. Hopefully, he'll prove it on the pitch.

Posted by: DB | February 10, 2007 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Great profile -- Thanks! Looking forward to the one on Kasali, as well.

Posted by: DougB | February 10, 2007 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Not to sound like one of those anti-immigration folks (I'm just kind of intereted), but do you know why Gomez hasn't picked up more english while at United? Or is it more a matter of wanting to use spanish/translator when he talks to the press.

Posted by: quietsider | February 10, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Some people pick up language skills quickly, others don't. He hasn't made much of an effort to learn, either. He knows a little bit, but is certainly not fluent. It's not an issue with the team, though.

Posted by: Goff | February 10, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

"In case you missed it" :-) You get points for modesty Steve. The front page of Sports above the fold is prime real estate, especially in the pre-season.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 10, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Great stuff, Steve. Yep, love to see DC on the front of the sports section above the fold. Have to admit I was holding my breath as I was turning to the interior to finish the article: The quote from Soehn on Emilio's English proficiency was cut in the middle, "It's already better than..." and I'm thinking, 'oh, S***, he's gonna throw Gomez under the bus', but then it contiunes "...some of our guys"! (Whew!)
Still, it's not hard to know who he's talking about.

Posted by: soccer Geek | February 10, 2007 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Quietsider, I believe that to be the case. Having spoken with him a few times, Gomez speaks enough english to have a conversation, but just doesn't seem comfortable using it formally. You could understand his desire to make sure things are clear when giving an interview.

Posted by: Goose | February 10, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Steven, and Goose. I've been taking spanish on an off for the past couple years, so I can understand the difficulty/reluctance with a new language. I'm sure Gomez can speak more english than my spanish. Just thought it was interesting.

Posted by: quietsider | February 11, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse