Embrace the Colors (or Not)

Things are a changin' in Denver. First, the Rapids announce a marketing alliance with Arsenal (personally, I don't think it's a big deal) and then they unveil their new logo and colors. Ladies and gentlemen, your NEW Colorado Rapids!!

Good? Bad?

By Steve Goff  |  February 9, 2007; 3:33 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Updates
Next: Local Honors

Comments

What, no Colorado Arsenal?

Did the Rapids actually pull of a web hoax, including registered websites and artwork posted on the net or did they just get cold feet on the name change? If they really planned this all along, they are briliant I say.

Posted by: 204 | February 9, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

They probably decided against the Arsenal name because of the negative history of "Rocky Mountain Arsenal" gives to some residents.

Posted by: Hunter R | February 9, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I like the change and I'm glad the team is keeping their name...at least for now. The partnership with Arsenal could turn into a nice deal for Col. down the road. I've never had anything against Col. in the past...we beat them in '97 and I've liked the club ever since.

Posted by: Nick | February 9, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

The logo looks like an obscure 1930's French car manufacturer.
All they're doing is trying to pull their branding w/ the Avalanche even closer together. Kind of like the owners of Toronto Maple Leafs & Toronto FC are doing.

Posted by: ohboyohboy | February 9, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

hmmmmm

Posted by: l st | February 9, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I actually liked their old jersies.
The new colors are a bit drab, Grey and Maroon? Blah.

Posted by: jgildea8 | February 9, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

the logo looks more like a bicycle headbadge than anything else

Posted by: d | February 9, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Uninspired. If that's all the better you could do just leave it the way it was.

Posted by: Matt | February 9, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Always a challenge: How much to respect the past vs. forging ahead and creating one's own brand. RSL had / has the same problems. Far easier in many ways to use the name as a "heritage" reference -- a la DC United -- and then apply a unique color scheme.

Unless Colorado really gets in tight with Arsenal, this looks more copycat than sibling-ish....

Will be curious to see the new unis - the all sky blue away kit may be a tad precious. Still, signs of life such as this beat lack of interest any day.

Posted by: JustinW | February 9, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Those are Villa and West Ham colors.

I don't object, and I like the "96" in the logo. As much luck as the Rapids have had, they needed a change.

Posted by: I-66 | February 9, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Much better than Colorado Arsenal FC. Much, much better. I like the mix of euro names (FCD, DCU) and american naming (a la the Rapids). I bet Colorado Rapids evolves into a favored team name. Think of some of the MLB teams and consider how weird they must have sounded at their debut: Mets, Padres, Expos. Now they roll off the tongue (save for MON) of fans without anyone batting an eye.

Posted by: Logan Circle | February 9, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow! what an announcement. So, this is the biggest announcement in the history of the Rapids, as was put out in a press release last week? Yeesh. Boring...as for the Arsenal arrangement....nothing big deal.

Posted by: Fizzle, yawn | February 9, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Blah colors? God forbid a team in this league has colors other than blue, red, or black...

I'm generally against constant rebranding, but I think it's good...even if it is like the Avalanche. I'm just glad they decided against the Arsenal name.

Posted by: Nick | February 9, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I like the logo, I like the colors (I'm a West Ham supporter) and I'm REALLY glad they didn't change their name to Arsenal. We don't need any more copycat names. Real Salt Lake is bad enough.

Posted by: hank | February 9, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

New colours? What was wrong with the old colors?

The LA color change is a bigger deal because of the Beckham replicas. Maybe LA will get Colorado's old blue jerseys or maybe they will change to pink and white to sell to all the teenage girls.

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | February 9, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

How exactly are the CRapids "changing the world's game?" Kick-ins instead of throw ins? 35-yard offsides line? The 5-second shootout? And what's up with the subdued Larry King Live map?

Posted by: I don't get it | February 9, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad they didn't change the name. Having 1 club in MLS as a foreign offshoot is enough. I'm not against foreign ownership, but I don't want MLS to look like (or be) a farm league. Plus, Colorado Arsenal/Arsenal Colorado sounds dumb. After MLS's naming problems in recent years (Real Salt Lake still just sounds stupid, for example), I'm glad they didn't make another mistake.

The uniforms look good. They have a historic feel to them, even if that feel comes from Aston Villa and West Ham. It's still better than straight up copying Inter Milan, which was just sad. It's also better than their original green and white color scheme. It's also really nice to see an MLS team pick out colors that are not standard red or blue.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 9, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

New colors AGAIN!?!?!?!?!

Personally I think they should've stuck with bright green...at least noboby else had it.

Posted by: Traver | February 9, 2007 7:24 PM | Report abuse

The uniforms and logo look fine. But Beckerman needs to change his hair.

Posted by: Paul | February 9, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

the sacred European teams change their colors all of the time. In just the past couple of years Arsenal has worn orange, red, blue, yellow, red currant, etc... okay, maybe they don't change their badges but still we should give the Rapids a break (and they need one)

I personally like the colors and the home jersey. The away jersey could use some retooling but hey, there's always next year. Speaking of which, when are the 2007 DC United jerseys coming out?

Posted by: Diego R. | February 9, 2007 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Junior Agogo wouldn't approve, but I have no problem with the new color scheme. The soccer ball on the new logo seems incomplete. There must be some deep, subliminal meaning for this.

Posted by: Beans | February 11, 2007 12:45 AM | Report abuse