Let's Talk USA-Mexico

The bad news (for me, anyway) is that I will not be attending the USA-MEX showdown in Phoenix tonight. The good news (for me, anyway) is that I will host a special, majestic, inspirational, earth-shaking chat while the match is going on right here at your favorite Soccer Insider blog thing.

Tell me what you thought about Mastroeni's yellow in the 18th minute, about Dempsey's scoring jig in the 43rd, about El Tri's equalizer in the 58th and Howard's great save on Borgetti in the 81st. Or whatever may unfold...

Contribute as much as you'd like -- after all, Cyberspace is limitless, right?

I'll add my thoughts too...

Feel free to drop your pregame mojo onto this thread now and we'll crank it up for real this evening.

Cool?

By Steve Goff  |  February 7, 2007; 11:28 AM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Signing Alert
Next: A Win Is a Win

Comments

Bornstein and Albright? Our lack of depth is scary when it comes to outside backs.

Going forward, I'd love to see Bradley try something that Arena tried on a couple of occasions: turn Convey into a left back. Convey and DMB are too talented to have one of them sitting on the bench...Bradley needs to find a way to get both on the field (when both are in the team, obviously).

Posted by: Nordy | February 7, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

SG - you rock!! This forum is very $$$

Posted by: DE | February 7, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

What is giong on with Convey at Reading? I haven't seem him in the lineup for the past several weeks. Did he get demoted or was he injured?

Posted by: air | February 7, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Several pundits are intimating that we might as well not show up tonight. I think we play beyond expectations and settle for a tie at the very least. I strongly believe that Dempsey and Convey will be playing with chips on their shoulders and will give the Mexican defense all they can handle. Now if we only had McBride to get on the end of some clever passing I'd be more confident but hopefully TT or Rolfe shows a nose for the goal.

Posted by: sidenetting | February 7, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

2-0 mexico, as much as I hate to say it.

Posted by: d | February 7, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

convey recovered from injury but has not regained his starting position at reading.

Posted by: hokie soccer fan | February 7, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Hugo Sanchez will cry "home bias" as Mexico's near full strength squad is beat by two goals when playing the US's mostly MLS team.

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted by: Dave | February 7, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I think we're in big trouble if we can't get an early lead. The torching we will receive on the wings will have CONCACAF teams practicing the classic English direct style constantly until the Gold Cup.

3-1, El Tri. Bob Bradley's Waterloo.

Man, I hope I'm wrong. I'd love for us to play like water dancers. I'll come back and eat crow, delighted.

Posted by: ionprovisioner | February 7, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Absorb the inevitable early onslaught and tame the pro-Mexico crowd with a late first half goal.

Patience in the second half leads to counters and a second.

Re Convey: He has yet to re-claim his starting spot, but the issue I have is that he has only sporadically shown up on the game day squad---and that's after he started the FA Cup match. What gives?

Posted by: delantero | February 7, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Convey has had success vs. Mehico in the past. He'll tear a hole in their...defense. He was smokin' coming out of the backfield when required to play there, but size matters. I take it back...they are playing Mehico. Size is irrelevant. Still prefer to see him and Beas on the flanks and switching it up.

Posted by: Beans | February 7, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Fearless prediction:

Man of the Match--Rico Clark. The guy is $$$.

Runner-up: Tim Howard. This Mexico team is really, really good. Hopefully, Howard can keep the score low.

Posted by: jj | February 7, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

My main comment/question for Steven...

Does Bradley stick with a box midfield? I'd rather see Convey and Beasley playing as true wingers, not pinching in as two up-top in box midfield.

In a 3-5-2, two dmids (like DCU does) - one box to box, one pure dmid - work. But in a 4-4-2, there's just no enough width on the wings and not enough flowing movement forward.

Posted by: the cheat | February 7, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Its going to be an excellent game with the "european" players on both sides showing up to play. One to watch - Nery Castillo. The winger was in high demand by many national sides, including Greece and Uruguay, but decided to play for his native Mexico. He's explosive, and only 22. If he gets the start, look for him on the left wing.

Posted by: pfab | February 7, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

As this is USA-Mexico, I'll predict that Landon disappears early and often, but resurfaces to talk trash to the cameras when we win.

Posted by: Leishmania donovani | February 7, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Bring me the head of Cuatehmoc Blanco

Posted by: Chico | February 7, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Long story, so bear with me hear. Having just about the best birthday in along time with US-Mexico, Carolina-Dook, and National Signing Day.

Butch Davis at UNC has had a heck of a day, getting a letter from Marvin Austin. I was so excited about the commit, I decided to cab it to ESPN Zone for the announcement. So the cabbie has the radio tuned to WTOP. About halfway there, a reporter breaks in from ESPN Zone to announce that he can confirm Austin will shock everyone by picking UVA! Punch in the gut. I got the cab to pull over, and double-backed to the house to get the latest word. Turns out the folks at WTOP made an incredible error, as he pledged to UNC shortly thereafter.

What does this all mean? I think Dook pulls out a lead early in Cameron, and Mexico might get an early goal in Phoenix on a PK from a dive in the box by Borgetti.

But with the way my mojo is going today, the Heels and the US Nats will certainly both triumph in the end.

USA 2:1
Heels 89-83

I have dual TVs set up for this one...

Posted by: CPC | February 7, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

i hope carrol and gros get some playing time and contribute to a hard fought and well played win.

Posted by: hokie soccer fan | February 7, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Chico, you will get your wish on 7/29 :)

Posted by: Hunter R | February 7, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Beasley is not on the roster dudes.

Posted by: pat | February 7, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

well pointed out Pat.
these are the cards we've been dealt:
Goalkeepers (2) - Joe Cannon (Galaxy), Tim Howard (Everton)

Defenders (7) - Chris Albright (Galaxy), Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Bobby Boswell, Jimmy Conrad (Wizards), Bryan Namoff, Eddie Robinson (Houston)

Midfielders (7) -Brian Carroll, Ricardo Clark (Houston), Bobby Convey (Reading), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Joshua Gros (D.C. United), Justin Mapp (Fire), Pablo Mastroeni (Rapids)

Forwards (4) - Landon Donovan (Galaxy), Eddie Johnson (Wizards), Chris Rolfe (Fire), Taylor Twellman
(Revs)

Posted by: b | February 7, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

for the sake of being proved wrong, I will propose a starting 11 and then some thoughts about the game.

Howard

Albright, Bocanegra, Boswell, Conrad

Dempsey, Carroll, Mastroeni, Convey

Donovan, Johnson

Donovan will be pulled back into attacking mid leaving Johnson to do his running fast thing. But, Donovan only looks dangerous when he works the give-and-go or the ball falls into his lap from a failed clearance, so things will fizzle out and he and dempsey will switch up in the second half...or something like that.

I believe we will be outplayed for much of the first half and will give up an early goal in the second. We will equalize late and the game will end in an unsatisfying draw.

Posted by: bribri | February 7, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff, everyone!

Five hours and counting...

SG

Posted by: Goff | February 7, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I meant Ice Ice Dempsey, not Beasley, in my box midfield question. My bad.

Posted by: the cheat | February 7, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't know the Mexican roster, but I worry a bit about the match fitness of most of the US team - since they aren't in season. The final 20 minutes could be interesting if its a tie match and both/one team is tired.

The real question is... Will "Jingo" Jack Edwards be there for some "Land of the FREE! HOME OF THE BRAVE!" if the US wins???

Posted by: NapoleonDynamite | February 7, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: L St | February 7, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Johnson is HORRIBLE. Why on earth is this guy still on the national team?

my assessments:

Legend:
BA - Brazilian/Argentinian Skill
G - Good
CP - Can Play
H - Horrible
WC- Who cares

Goalkeepers (2) - Joe Cannon (Galaxy) WC, Tim Howard (Everton) WC

Defenders (7) - Chris Albright (Galaxy) CP, Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham) CP, Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA) CP, Bobby Boswell H, Jimmy Conrad (Wizards) CP, Bryan Namoff G, Eddie Robinson former Phoenix Suns Guard now in MLS ?(Houston)

Midfielders (7) -Brian Carroll H, Ricardo Clark (Houston) H, Bobby Convey (Reading) G, Clint Dempsey (Fulham) BA, Joshua Gros (D.C. United) CP, Justin Mapp G(Fire), Pablo Mastroeni (Rapids)Horrible despite being Argentinian ...

Forwards (4) - Landon Donovan (Galaxy) G, Eddie Johnson (Wizards) Horrible, Chris Rolfe (Fire) WC, Taylor Twellman
(Revs) BA - but coaching staff stupid

Coach: Bradley - Horrible
US President: Gulati - Really Horrible

Missing:
Adu - G
Beasley - G

Posted by: Jeff | February 7, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that's brutal.

Posted by: Goff | February 7, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ some of the comments!

Well see how Conrad and Bocanegra handle Borgetti without Gooch, sorry to say but Bozilla will not be starting.

Also Blanco is on the team and hes been on a streak for America.

Is Convey even match fit? He played all of 20 minutes last weeekend after being injured for a bit.

Posted by: nando | February 7, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Since he selects Dempsey and Twellman, not only as our best two players, but as Brazilian and Argie (in style or level is unclear) and notes that we can ignore both keepers...

...clearly, Jeff, WC?

Posted by: :::::: | February 7, 2007 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I thought WC stood for World Cup... or Water Closet...

like I took a trip to the WC and missed Rolfe's goal

Posted by: Diego R. | February 7, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Mixed thougts.

Got bad feelings about this one. On the other hand, don't care about friendlies though. I hate Mexico...

So I'm ambivalent with my hatred!

Posted by: JSF | February 7, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow Jeff... you must be living in opposite day or something with those rankings... those are pretty far off.

Posted by: RB | February 7, 2007 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I AM GOING TO START A NEW THREAD FOR THE ACTUAL MATCH...CONSIDER THIS ONE CLOSED...

Posted by: Goff | February 7, 2007 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Please, no score update, for those of us TiVO-ing Duke-UNC, ok? We can unite in talking smack about Mexico soccer!

So who planted the nail on the field, them, or Bradley to toughen Howard up? It just might be good for him...

Posted by: Go Duke | February 7, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I don't care much for Bruce as an announcer. The way he speaks is not suited for the television. If we're trying to attract more attention to soccer we've got to have better announcers!

Posted by: Chris | February 7, 2007 10:02 PM | Report abuse