Local Honors

Friend of Soccer Len Oliver tells me that the Virginia-D.C. Soccer Hall of Fame will induct six new members during ceremonies in Richmond tomorrow. The group will also be honored at halftime of the May 6 DCU match against Chivas USA.

Kathy Kelly Erickson (UNC)
Gary Etherington (W&M, Cosmos)
Lauren Gregg (national team, UVA coach)
Jay Hoffman (men's and women's coaching)
Rael Vodicka (youth soccer pioneer)
John Ellis (soccer academy)

By Steve Goff  |  February 9, 2007; 3:42 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Embrace the Colors (or Not)
Next: All About Emilio

Comments

I didn't know we had a local hall of fame. That's pretty cool. It's neat to recognize the efforts of people who may not have had a dramatic impact at a national level, but who still managed significant contributions to their communities. Thanks for the heads up Steve.

Posted by: Matt | February 9, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Will this mean that yet another season goes by without the only acceptable halftime show, the mascot soccer game?

If I'm not going to the drum circle, I want mascots attempting to play soccer. No more little kid games, no more inductions into places. Mascots. They can play a team of little kids, I suppose, but all mascots would be preferable.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 9, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to John Ellis. We have used his Soccer Academy a few times and he's been great to work with. His daughter is the head coach at UCLA and I believe she has taken a position with the USWNT.

Posted by: JkR | February 9, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

When will the 2007 jerseys come out? I am want to get the new one. Will there be a change?

Posted by: Garret | February 9, 2007 7:35 PM | Report abuse

I got one of my coaching licenses from John Ellis and another license from Len Oliver. Class individuals both and great to talk to.

I'm a little surprised that Gary Etherington didn't make it sooner. He really was the guy who showed that maybe not all US soccer players should go to college before testing the pros. As I understand, his son (Ian) is now playing overseas.

Posted by: Joe | February 9, 2007 7:57 PM | Report abuse