Predictions!

Olimpia is in-season; DCU is in preseason.
Olimpia is at home; DCU hasn't been home in weeks.
Olimpia knows all about Emilio; Emilio knows all about Olimpia.
Olimpia has to win; DCU would settle for a tie.

So how does it go down in Tegucigalpa this evening?

I'm taking Olimpia, 1-0, which would not be a terrible result for DCU heading into the second leg at RFK.

Whatcha think?

Post your thoughts here and then this evening I will create a new thread for in-game commentary.

By Steve Goff  |  February 21, 2007; 12:25 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Match Made in Heaven
Next: Garlick Gone?

Comments

I think we lose 3-1 and someone gets sent off with the infamous "Central-American" red card.

But then we take them 3-0 at home and advance to play W Connection (sp?) in the second round where we try not to get upset like Chivas will have been.

Posted by: Dave | February 21, 2007 1:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm a little more optimistic. I think it will end 1-1. Olimpia has struggled in the league (they lost their derby match last weekend) and is under pressure to perform well.

And while you didn't ask for it, I think Puntarenas will beat Houston tomorrow.

Posted by: Howard | February 21, 2007 1:44 AM | Report abuse

i'm looking forward to this one. our boys are lacking in depth but i think they're still smarting from last year's slide. i predict a tsunami of extra effort. 1-1. rough crowd in honduras, emilio's got some provin' to do - that's the tie.

let's all meet up in copan, mates!

Posted by: fever | February 21, 2007 1:47 AM | Report abuse

I am saying 2-1 to United.

Posted by: the opimist | February 21, 2007 3:13 AM | Report abuse

Steve,
You predicted that Real Madrid would win by three, so I take this as one of your more optimistic predictions.

Posted by: Adams Morgan | February 21, 2007 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Hey Steve,

I'm new to the sport and to the league.In a low scoring affair, I'm going to say The United over Olympus 7-3.

Posted by: apqjr | February 21, 2007 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Nah, we miss the extra point...6-3.

Posted by: John | February 21, 2007 7:06 AM | Report abuse

I think DC give them a good game for 60-70 minutes and then folds (lack of fitness) probably 4-1 which basically eliminates them before they come back home.

Posted by: hanjk | February 21, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

United 2-1

Posted by: grumpy | February 21, 2007 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Wait'll you see the bounces on the field down there. It's like playing in a parking lot.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 21, 2007 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Burns | February 21, 2007 8:25 AM | Report abuse

0 - 0
Perkins makes a few great saves.

Posted by: Kenny | February 21, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Best DC can hope for is to nick 1-0. I think more than likely it will be 2-0 to Olimpia.

Nah, I'm going with 2-1 Olimpia.

Posted by: Aljarov | February 21, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I remain forever an optimist...2-1 United!

Posted by: Mike | February 21, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Sorry; club officiating in central america equals a big loss for DC. 5-1 loss, with all sorts of questionable calls going against DC. (Isn't that how it always goes? Remember the away leg against Pumas?)

Posted by: Dave | February 21, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave | February 21, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

3-1 Olympia. We get constantly smoked down the wings. and can only get stretches of possession in the middle, which usually goes for naught.

Before I get dive-bombed, I am going to watch the game with the desperate hpe that I am proved wrong.

Posted by: DCAustinite | February 21, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I think this one is going to come down on Perkins shoulders. He's good, but I think in the 3-5-2 that we're playing, with Erpen good for at least two terrible tackles a game, Perkins is going to have to come up big.

I see the game as a 0-0, though if Olympia get two goals in the first half and we have to come out trying to get that away goal ... it could get ugly.

C'mon Perkins!!!!

Posted by: Grant | February 21, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

2-1 Olimpia in the 89th minute. Carroll receives a wicked foul outside the Olimpia box and has to be substituted. DC pulls a surprise by putting in their newly acquired DP who paints a left-footed free kick in the far upper 90. Yes. El Diablo returns!

Posted by: Dream on | February 21, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

3-0 United. Dale United! that's my well reasoned, thought out prediction. Emilio goes this way this way this way this way, shoots, and scores, ala pele in "Escape to Victory."

Posted by: chris | February 21, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

15-3, United. Goals aplenty in this game. Moreno has 4, Gomez 3, Emilio, 1, Gros 1, Carrol 1, Boswell 1, Simms 2, Erpen 1, and Perkins (yes Perkins) with a goal.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | February 21, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Steve-o,

I don't see Olympia scoring on us in the run of play. Our defensive back five (perkins, the three defenders, plus Carroll) have played together for over a year, and four out of the five have been together at national team camp for over a month. Maybe Olympia draws a PK if we lose our composure in the box.
On the other hand, we'll be playing it close, so I don't see us having much opportunity either. Maybe we get a goal on a counter. So I'm betting at most one goal for either side, which suits me just fine coming back to RFK for the second leg.

Posted by: soccer nerd | February 21, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

is this game televised or do i have to just listen to the audio feed?

:-(

Posted by: Kenny | February 21, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

FYI, Houston's Champions' Cup match is on live this afternoon on FSC, 2:30. (no lights at the Puntarenas stadium?)

Posted by: Goff | February 21, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I heard no lights. houstondynamo.com has pictures of the Puntarenas stadium. It's a tiny tiny place with fans right on top of you.

Posted by: Alex | February 21, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Kenny, match is televised on Fox Soccer Channel. enjoy!

Posted by: Matt | February 21, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm a little nervous about the match tonight. My overall feeling about this offseason has been that we've lost more than we've gained. But I'm going to be holding my breath and saying a prayer! With luck we escape with a one goal deficit in a low scoring affair.

Posted by: Matt | February 21, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know which bars in the district will be showing the game tonight?

Posted by: John | February 21, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I know FSC are showing it, but I've heard both
live at 9pm and SDD at 11pm. Anyone know which
one it is?

Posted by: SeanM | February 21, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

for those looking for already looking for someone to blame and/or conspiracy theories, the ref for tonight's match is from Mexico.

Anyone know if they are doing the 'away goals' rule or is it just straight 'total goals'? If it is tied after two games do they do an extra period ala MLS or does it go straight to penalty kicks.

I'm going 0-2 in Honduras and 2-0 in DC, just so that my above questions will have some pertinence.

Posted by: Diego R. | February 21, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

DC loses to CD 2-0.
And DC loses a player due to a non-liquid projectile.

Posted by: RK | February 21, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Final score 3-3 tonight, DC should win the return leg 2-0.

Posted by: goals | February 21, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Boswell heads in the winner off a Gomez cornerkick...or maybe not.

Posted by: Tweaked | February 21, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

1-1. olimpia gets one earlyish and threatens a 2nd, Bozilla.com knocks one in late to save all that is good in the world.

Posted by: d, dc | February 21, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Emilio scores a brace, drags leader of Olimpia's Ultras to midfield, tears out heart, eats while still beating.

DCU 2, Olimpia 1, people of Honduras 0.

Posted by: Logan Circle | February 21, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Olimpia blows dead bear. DC United 2-0

Luciano and Moreno.

Posted by: Chico | February 21, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Logan Circle, outstanding!

Posted by: Goff | February 21, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Moreno is sandwiched between 3 Olimpia defenders and leaves with a broken leg.

Rod "Dinamo" Dyachenko comes in and scores a hat trick, justifying his first round draft pick value; all three set up by Gomez in his own effort to show that the Argentines will be upstaging Brazilians all year in 2007.

Ben considers the superstition and decides not to shave again this season, leading speculation that ZZ Top will be the halftime entertainment at the all-star match.

Posted by: zero | February 21, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Northern Virginia people can catch the game at Kilroy's in Springfield with the Barra Brava.

Posted by: Chico | February 21, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Has "Tegucigalpa" ever appeared in the Post outside of a soccer or travel article?

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | February 21, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I like our chances tonight, I predict the game will end in a 1-1 draw. We will win the home match 2-1 at RFK.

Posted by: Todd | February 21, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

The flying bags of pee and hurled D cells will add some zip to an otherwise grim affair: 0-0

Posted by: Ali | February 21, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Fitness may be an issue, but I think it will come down to focus. Coming in from the offseason and focusing on your positioning, situation, etc for a full 90 is tough. A minor lapse in defensive discipline leads to the only goal: Olimpia 1-0.

DC takes the return leg and advances.

Glad the team landed safely. The runway in Teguc is mighty short and the approach is, um, scenic.

Posted by: Mobtown | February 21, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

DC takes the return leg and advances.

Posted by: Mobtown | February 21, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Their field is alot like their runway. I think it's going to play a big factor tonight.

Posted by: Chico | February 21, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Ives is reporting that RBNY will be making a big signing within the next week, likely using their second DP slot: http://njmg.typepad.com/sbi/2007/02/red_bulls_to_us.html

What are your thoughts on this with respect to the Zidane pursuit? Any legs to the idea that it's ZZ they're close to signing? Your insight would be, as always, much appreciated!

Posted by: iammrben | February 21, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

1-1 Emilio for DC set up by CG and JM. More of the play to Olympia but not enough to blow us out. I would say that on the whole, MLS is a stronger league with better teams. No offense to the Honduran league, just my opinion.

Return leg: DC 2 CD 0

DC advances 3-1 aggregate

Posted by: Dan | February 21, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Return leg: DC 2 CD 0

DC advances 3-1 aggregate

Posted by: Dan | February 21, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I know that previous comment/question was horridly OT, but I've just got to know! For the sake of this thread, I say last seasons defensive breakdowns carry over into this match, primarily for fitness reasons, and DC stumbles 3-1. Hope I'm wrong about that one!

Posted by: iammrben | February 21, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Steevie,

Houston fans are pulling out their hair in frustration over how the Dynamo were treated by the refs during their game this afternoon. Are they homers, or was it as bad as they say? And should we expect more of the same tonight in United's game?

Posted by: soccer nerd | February 21, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Bush League! I can't wait for the United game tonight but don't be surprised to see the same type of refs as we saw for the Houston match. I hate playing Central American teams...because they always cheat and play like babies. Why can't they play strong and fair...why do they always take the dive and act hurt? I can't answer that but hope that Houston can take the second leg and play well. Central America looks like 2nd rate players and the refs certainly don't look any better.

Posted by: Nick | February 21, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse