Right on Schedule

As I told you guys the other day, the complete MLS schedule will be announced tomorrow/Tuesday -- late morning, most likely.

We know about Beckham's RFK appearance (Aug. 9), and from I've been told, Freddy Adu's return will also come late in the year. Like Beckham's, the game is likely to be a mid-week national TV appearance.

We'll know all the details tomorrow...

By Steve Goff  |  February 5, 2007; 4:58 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For Openers...
Next: Rimando Update

Comments

Mid-week games on National TV - me likes.

Posted by: Izzy | February 5, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Mid-week games on National TV... me scared, I just hope outside of Beckham's LA games the rest of the league can draw fovorable attendences. Past history says that this could be rough

Posted by: Chris | February 5, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Midweek could be dicey for ratings, too. Ask the NHL schedulers what moving the All Star game to midweek can do for your brand.

Posted by: Arrrlington | February 5, 2007 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I definatly agree. The NHL really is a shadow of it's old self, and it's owners and promoters aren't helping with choices like that. MLS should be careful with these thursday night games, I personally don't think they're anywhere near a good idea. Thursday night is a big network TV night. It will be tough to compete. Sure big games like DC vs. LA, and Freddy's return to DC will draw well in the seat and sets, but other "obscure" games that will have to fill the schedule may not be so lucky. I mean come on, let's at least try to image what the average viewer will have placed before them on a thursday night. Colorado Arsenal vs. KC Wizards, or The Office... hhmmm..... get the point. MLS/ESPN may have a tough sell in the coming months.

Posted by: Chris | February 5, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

It's not like they could do a whole lot worse than the ratings on their Saturday afternoon broadcasts. Or look much worse in the stands than the games in Kansas City, Columbus, Colorado, New England or Dallas that are often shown now.

Posted by: Goose | February 5, 2007 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Good points.

Mid-week games are risky, especially in soft markets like KC, Colorado, NE...

Posted by: Goff | February 5, 2007 7:56 PM | Report abuse

national tv is national tv - i'll take what i can get for MLS.

Posted by: fever | February 5, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

at least sports bars will probably be showing all of these Thursday night games. That might be an indirect way to get the 'casual' fan to at least know there is soccer being played in the US, as opposed to the saturday afternoon games.

Plus, you gotta think that Beckham is going to be on tv almost every Thursday night - making it much more like star driven hollywood than MLS is used to

Posted by: Diego R. | February 5, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

I love the idea of a weeknight match every Thursday! My Saturday will be free more often and my wife won't be on my case. I guess I'll need another excuse to stay away from "yard work".

Thanks for the great updates, Goff!

Posted by: Nick | February 5, 2007 11:00 PM | Report abuse

NHL on Versus is a different situation. While I agree that midweek games can be trouble, fact of the matter is Versus is a Comcast station only available to certain cable subscribers.

Being on ESPN2 allows MLS a certain credibility and a direct pipeline to pregame promotion and postgame recaps on the ESPN family and radio networks.

A midweek primetime game on the nation's second most watched sports network is nothing to sniff at.

Posted by: Logan Circle | February 5, 2007 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree its not the strongest idea for att. figures but it fits pretty good with my TV viewing schedule. :P Besides 11K looks like 3K in Arrowhead or Meadowlands whether its Sat. or Thu.

Posted by: Izzy | February 6, 2007 12:41 AM | Report abuse

I imagine that MLS sees an opportunity to get market share in the weeknights as opposed to competing with baseball and preseason football on the weekends in August. I think Becks will draw well.

Posted by: gomez4prez | February 6, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Thursday night, primetime games? We're complaining about this? Are you kidding me? This is very good for the game. It's almost like a Monday Night Football, or if we don't want to go that far, how about ESPN's Big Monday or Wednesday Night Baseball? People will know there's a game on that night and can click over to it early in the night or late.

As far as the competition versus the Office, Grey's, whatever, that's not the fan that MLS is looking for really, is it? Aren't we looking for sports fans in general? Plus, since when has summer been a huge time for new episodes of those shows? C'mon guys, it's all reruns. Makes great sense.

Goff, I'm kinda mad you didn't have this blog earlier when the Beckham signing was incoming. I think there's a valid question for August 9th. If that is close to Beckham's first appearance in MLS, what are tickets going to be resold for? m I mean, I think I can almost recoup the whole cost of my season tickets by scalping those on StubHub. Now, if DC and LA are battling for first in the league, I'll show up for a good game, but seriously, it's a valid question. I'll bet two seats low down in the bowl can go for close to $720. Heck, they might even go for $1000.

Anybody else's thoughts on this?

Posted by: Grant | February 6, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Scalping tickets is illegal in most parts.
:-)

Posted by: Goff | February 6, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

a few ocassional mid-week games are ok. remember the US National Team will be participating in the Gold Cup over the summer so they need to get in a few extra games mid-week in order to allow the national team to train for the tournament. I certainly hope the MLS doesnt keep on scheduling games while the national team is on duty, the quality of the games will be furthered watered down.

Posted by: Vic | February 6, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

So when the schedule is announced, hopefully in just a little bit, when will tickets go on sale? I want to make sure I get my LA tickets now. Not even becuase it is Beckhams first game, but because I am a true United fan. I rarely miss games but cant buy a season ticket package b/c i do have other commitments that force me to miss some. I do not want to miss a game because everyone who has no real idea who United is buying tickets to see Becks when real united fans are SOL

Posted by: Anonymous | February 6, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Can you find out what United meant when they said the LA game wouldn't be part of the half season ticket plans? They sent out an email to everyone saying that game would only be available to full season ticket holders and not part of a half season plan, but I don't see how that would work since I've already got those seats for at least half a season.

any word on when they'll announce which games belong to which half season plan? would that be with this announcement or will they have to take a while to split it up?

Posted by: pat | February 6, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I suspect that lower-bowl tickets will be very difficult to come by for the Gals game. Don't be surprised if the DCU Front Office does something where you have to buy tickets for three other games in addition to the Gals game -- they appropriately will try to milk it for all it's worth.

That said, you probably can get an upper bowl seat if you purchase early enough.

Posted by: JJJ3 | February 6, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Still waiting for that schedule.....any minute now.....;-)

For what it's worth...DC and NE will only play each other three times: two at RFK.

13 teams, weird scheduling.

Posted by: Goff | February 6, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Even weirder still, we're playing the NY Mets in a 3 game series at Shea June 5-9. Man, we need a 14th team.

Posted by: Mookie | February 6, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why the sports' fan MLS wants wouldn't watch the Office. I'm a huge sport's fan. I watch college football, college basketball, NBA, NHL, NFL, any soccer that is on, and just about any other sport on tv. Amongst friends, I'm known as the guy who loves sports and watches a lot of television. I'll go see my Hokies play Thursday night football in Blacksburg and still be able to tell them what happened on NBC Thursday night. That brings me to my only concern with Thursday night...Thursday night college football. ESPN went from showing one game on Thursday to showing a game on each network from every BCS and non-BCS conference. It will be interesting to see what happens to coverage of smaller conference football teams and also how MLS does against the main Thursday night matchup.

Posted by: sitruc | February 6, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

So, I am looking at the schedule... and I see a lotta Direct Kick crap, which is gonna really screw things... (damned iNdemand not going on FiOS TV)

Goff: is CSN in talks with MLS about covering United still?

Posted by: Jason | February 6, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Goff, see what StubHub is doing? I mean, for Georgetown basketball games to see anything decent, you've got to pay an arm and a leg. Or go up into the nose bleeds where you can't see anything.

Posted by: Grant | February 6, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse