Rimando Traded to RSL (Again)

For the third time this offseason/preseason, Nick Rimando has been traded.

From DCU to Salt Lake to N.Y. to....(drum roll) Salt Lake again.

Nick has confirmed to me that he's heading to RSL, which lost starting keeper Scott Garlick this week to retirement (a story first reported here at the Soccer Insider and then picked up by the Utah press later). RSL is grooming former Maryland Terrapin Chris Seitz for the long term, but they need an experienced keeper right away. Plus, Seitz will miss time this season while with the U.S. under-20 national team. He's currently missing training camp while with the u-23s in Japan.

There's more news at Michael Lewis's bigapplesoccer.com and at Ives Galarcep's Soccer By Ives.

Says Nick: "It's been a bit crazy. I wish everything could've worked out sooner, but at the end of the day, that's where I wanted to be. I know a lot of the guys at Salt Lake and there's a lot of potential there. ... I'm just going to do my best to get that No. 1 job."

By Steve Goff  |  February 23, 2007; 12:19 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CONCACAF Conflict?
Next: MLS Tidbits

Comments

Good for Nick. He seemed genuinely excited about SLC so it's good to see him land there thanks to the stellar management of Steve Pastorini.

Posted by: Brian | February 23, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Man, I feel for Nick getting bounced around but I think RSL will give him the best shot at playing time.

Posted by: Chico | February 23, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Rent's cheaper and we won't have to hate him now. Good for Nicky.

Posted by: d, dc | February 23, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

The few pics that I saw of Rimando in a RedBull jersey made me vomit on my keyboard at work. Glad that won't be happening again-- keyboard is starting to smell.

Posted by: ohboyohboy | February 23, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

good move for Nicky. I hope it works out for him.

Posted by: jj | February 23, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Now can he marry Skylar also?

Posted by: Brigham | February 23, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Ouch!

Posted by: Goff | February 23, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Back to Hospital!

I mean Salt Lake City. I type with a thick accent.

Posted by: Kim | February 23, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Can the good people of Rice-Eccles put some extra padding underneath the goalmouth turf? I'd hate to see our little man Nicky blow out a knee with all the work his thin defense will hand him.

Posted by: Logan Circle | February 23, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

How do Pastorino and Ellinger keep their jobs? First, they expose Kreis in the Expansion Draft (when the could have exposed numerous other stiffs) and then reacquire him for an allocation. Then, they trade Rimando for nothing (4th round supplemental pick) and then reacquire him for assumedly something more than what they got for him.

Posted by: Eric | February 23, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

what a circurs...

Posted by: neno | February 23, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Good for Nicky. I wasn't sure how I could hate him being on Mutts and all, this makes my life easier ;)

I don't know too much about the NYRB keeper situation, but with RSL the number 1 spot is his to lose which is good as I still think he deserves to be a starter in the league.

Hopefully this is the last of the RSL drama in regards to him so he can have some peace and enjoy work.

-dave

Posted by: gnat | February 23, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Very happy to see Nick back at RSL where he'll be able to start right away... not really sure why RSL's FO thought Garlick was a better keeper than Rimando in the first place. The RSL FO is a joke.

Even with Nick's deficiencies, he would have been better option for RSL than Garlick would've been. Garlick's been in the league for ten years, been traded four times, and lost his starting spot on numerous occasions. At this point in his career, he was the definition of a journeyman, and should have been relegated to a back-up role in MLS a few years ago.

Also glad that Nick won't have to sit on the bench at NY... he's too good a keeper to be riding pine.

Posted by: SWWJ | February 23, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

At the very least, this has got to be great for his frequen flyer miles.

Posted by: I-66 | February 23, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Nicky is being returned to where he was traded....

Posted by: sitruc | February 23, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"stellar management of Steve Pastorini"
?????????? first of all its Pastorino...second of all....I think you used the wrong adjective in "stellar". I think by now we have traded away (or released) half our team and then traded, or paid to get them back again. Jeeez...with all the money we could have saved by now we could actually have a defense to add to our nice looking midfield/striker lineup.

But then, all of us RSL fans know just how much the front office enjoys drama! And they wonder why their fans are half crazy!

Posted by: Pirate's Wench | February 23, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

What's most bizarre about the RSL keeper situation is, what's up with Garlick's sudden decision to retire? Didn't he or RSL have an inkling a week ago that this might be a possibility?

Posted by: Touchliner | February 23, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

The drama at Real Salt Lake is only because they want to do things in the way of Real Madrid.

Posted by: Madrileño | February 23, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Pirate's Wench:

um, I think that was sarcasm. RSL is a trainwreck, management-wise.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 23, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

So what you're saying is: I should buy myself a super-soaker? Is that it?

Posted by: RSL Punk | February 23, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Steve, it's not surprising that the Utah press was late to the party. They've been too busy trying to torpedo the stadium deal and following up with their criticisms of its passage.

The general theme is once more the money guys are raping the taxpayers.

Perhaps I exaggerate a bit here, but not much. And I learned this technique from the Utah media by closely following their stories about the stadium saga.

This was definitely not a zzzzzzzzz situation.

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 25, 2007 7:06 AM | Report abuse