Rod is Back

DCU has reacquired Rod Dyachenko from Toronto for a 2008 first-round draft pick.

Details to come...

Update: There's a whole lot more to this story. I'll put it up here this evening. You're going to want to read this, I promise.

By Steve Goff  |  February 1, 2007; 4:06 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS schedule near?
Next: Rod's Wild Ride

Comments

i think this is great news. I thought Rod was really coming around and adding a good spark towards the end of the season last year. I wonder if we could get Rimando back as well.

Posted by: jwgreen40 | February 1, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I hope that's a first-round supplimental pick.

Posted by: Jason | February 1, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Giving up a first round pick for a player who's never played a match for another team but your own. Possible question in a "Whacky MLS Player Personnel" quiz.

Posted by: Kev | February 1, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Sweet! Rod's a great guy. And I got one of his game worn jerseys cheap at the equipment sale because, at the time, he was a former United player.

A first round draft pick is nothing considering that Toronto got a gob of acquisition money from RSL for Jason Kreis.

Posted by: Kim | February 1, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Did one of the foreign signings fall thru to make them make this panicky deal?

Posted by: ACS | February 1, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Someone has to spell Gomez, what with all the extra cup matches this season. With both Rod and Freddy gone, the only person with any experience playing that slot is Jaime, and he needs as much or more rest as Christian.

Posted by: EdTheRed | February 1, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure he was worth a first round pick. Dyachenko always looked like he had the right idea, but often botched the execution. I do like his size and aerial ability as an attacking player, but again, you can get a lot more for a 1st round pick than that. Columbus just got Andy Herron, a dangerous forward that would start on most MLS teams, for theirs. Dyachenko would not start for most, if any, MLS teams. The cost is too much for what we got in return.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 1, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Also, Rod can give Moreno a much needed break. Especially, since Rod's game is fairly similar to Jamie's.

Posted by: Kim | February 1, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this is interesting (although not as interesting as the leaked name change of Colorado. Arsenal Colorado??? Ugh!)

K

Posted by: SEKim | February 1, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Sweet! I'm psyched about getting this big, developing guy back in the Black and Red. Sure, he's not an impact player...yet. However, I believe he's got the potential to be that guy. I have a feeling Tommy thinks so too.

Posted by: Beaker | February 1, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

glad to have him back, but ouch! a first round pick?

I agree, it sounds like the front office made this move because the South American acquisitions didn't pan out the way they hoped.

Posted by: pat | February 1, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Arsenal Colorado? say it ain't so. Why not call them Colorado Shaft? for all of the mining shafts during the gold rush.

Posted by: b | February 1, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Pretty shrewd if you ask me. This year's talent pool at the draft was thin due to college players heading straight to Europe. It's a bet that Dyachenko-level talent will be more likely to try a Euro "B" team then come to MLS in next year's draft. Safe bet.

Posted by: Arrrlington | February 1, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Real Colorado United 1996-Gladbach

Posted by: Tweaked | February 1, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

First round pick sounds like a lot, until you remember that so many of them don't pan out (hello David Stokes) -- the team's seen Rod in action, and obviously likes what they've seen. There should be 14 teams in 2008, so hopefully all we're giving up is the 14th pick in the draft. Columbus gave up the #2 pick for Herron.

Posted by: argo0 | February 1, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

1st Round is too much for Rod.

Next years class is much superior to this years weak class. I'd expect to see the following: Lapira, Valentin, Villanueva, Tracy, Gonzalez, King, Grella, Videra, Soroka, baby bear Carroll, Avila, Bruno from SMU, etc. That's without giving it 2 minutes of thought.

Seems like DCU management made a sequence of moves with insufficient contingency.

Posted by: JSF | February 1, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't think a first round pick is too much, especially when you consider that we'll probably be giving up a late-round pick, as opposed to a top 5.

I think the Rod's worh a pick in the range of 9-13, which is what we'll most likely have in 2008 (barring a complete debacle of a season).

Posted by: SWWJ | February 1, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

A first round pick is way too much. I don't know what everyone else sees in him but he disappointed me every time on the field. I guess they like his potential but I can't remember him doing anything to stand out all year. I'm happy to have him back, and continuing to learn from Gomez will be great, but a second rounder is much more appropriate.

Posted by: GW | February 1, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

If they really thought that much of him, maybe they should have just protected him.

Posted by: BT | February 1, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

They were only able to protect 11 players, and they went with their starting lineup from the playoffs: Perkins, Namoff, Boswell, Erpen, Carroll, Gros, Olsen, Adu, Gomez, Moreno, and Esky.

I figured Toronto would take either Clyde Simms or Nicky Rimando, but Rod saw decent minutes for a rookie playmaker, so I guess it's not surprising that TFC picked him - or that DC wanted him back.

Posted by: EdTheRed | February 1, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

For some reason I thought that could protect more (like their starting 11 and two or three bench players). Thanks for the clarification EdTheRed.

Posted by: BT | February 1, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I feel like I'm reading bigsoccer again...

Posted by: Dave | February 1, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

...that's because you have it open in another tab... ;-)

Posted by: EdTheRed | February 1, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh, c'mon now Steve, you're teasing.....

...and I'm glad I'm not the only with tabs open to BigSoccer and here..... :)

Posted by: Kim | February 1, 2007 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I cant wait any longer for the details!

Posted by: Ian | February 1, 2007 7:15 PM | Report abuse

doesn't 7:20pm qualify as "this evening"? Come on man, stop holding out on us! Junkie needs a fix.

Posted by: 204 | February 1, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Suggestion | February 1, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

This is great news! Rod for what I saw was def. worth a first-round pick.

Posted by: Izzy | February 1, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse

"I would love it if we could subscribe to this blog and the updates are sent via email to us the subscribers."

I'm not sure exactly how to do that, but I think you can, using the RSS feed and a google blog search engine....

An interesting way to view this - what if we had protected Dychenko and NOT Esky, as we were willing to trade him anyway. What did we get for Esky? Is what we got worth Dychenko and giving up our first round pick? There's some equation there, but not sure what it is....

Posted by: Anonymous | February 2, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

This is very embarassing for the DCU Staff, first you screw up by not protecting him and now you give away a 1st round to get back what you already had. The league is really laughing at this one, DCU is looking more and more like RSL in their player dealings.

Posted by: hank | February 2, 2007 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Denver Caledonian Thistle

Posted by: Kev | February 2, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

What is the problem with Colorado Arsenal? Or whatever it ends up being. They have an awesome new stadium that is actually built on an old arsenal. Rumor (or Rumour) from England is there is some new connection to that club as a part of the deal.

Posted by: Larry G | February 2, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse