Training Camp, Day 5

On its final day of training in the Washington area before heading down to Florida for two weeks, United spent the morning working on conditioning at Velocity Sports Performance fitness center in Alexandria. The team ended the session with a basketball shooting contest. I wasn't keeping score, but Jeff Carroll looked like he knew what he was doing. (Maybe he learned a thing or two at his Big East alma mater, St. John's)

Okay, on to the important stuff.....

-- The goalkeeping situation, outside of Troy Perkins, is very fluid right now. Club officials have been exploring their options and hope to have some sort of resolution over the weekend. I will go into detail about it in my story for Saturday's paper and for the Web site (should be available at post.com by 11 p.m.).

-- Rod Dyachenko rolled into Washington last night following the trade. He missed the training session in order to straighten out visa issues at the Honduran Embassy and avoid immigration problems when the club flies to Tegucigalpa for the Champions' Cup opener in a few weeks. Some of you have been wondering whether DCU gave up too much (a first-rounder) to reacquire him. Basically, if DC had not offered a first-rounder, another MLS team apparently was prepared to do so. Indeed, a first-round pick is valuable, but the club feels Dyachenko is on his way to being an established player in MLS. Draft picks, on the other hand, are always hit or miss.

-- Jamil Walker missed the session to get his back examined. Nothing serious and he should travel Monday to Florida.

-- United has added an exhibition game to its Florida schedule: next Wednesday against the U.S. under-17 national team in Bradenton. Reserves and young players expected to gain most of the playing time. The team's preseason opener is Tuesday against Danish club Odense.

-- Rookie forward Guy-Roland Kpene, from Dowling College, told me that he has signed a developmental contract with MLS. The team won't formally announce it until his paperwork is complete. Safe to say, he is virtually certain to make the final roster. Kpene has a fascinating background, which I will write about in the coming weeks.

That's all for now. I'll update this item later, if necessary.

By Steve Goff  |  February 2, 2007; 1:26 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-MEX roster update
Next: Sweet Goal

Comments

Steven great stuff as always; really appreciate the responsiveness to comments (case in point, the explanation that another team was willing to offer a 1st rounder for Dyachenko explains why the team made that offer).

The big question from this off-season that I think we'd all like to know more about is, what happened to the supposed transfers? We moved a lot of guys to gain money and cap-room and the FO kept saying "we've got 2 or 3 signings on the way" and nothing ever materialized. What happened? Did the change in ownership or change in coaching screw up the plans? Did the FO just overestimate their ability to close deals? Or was there never really a plan at all?

Posted by: soccer geek | February 2, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Goff!

Posted by: Jason | February 2, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

The team has said all along that it plans to sign 2 or 3 imports. One down, one or two to go.

Ideally, they would have liked to have gotten everything done by now, but international negotiations are tricky and excruciating. (This is very different than trying to sign a domestic player, in which few loopholes or obstacles exist.) Ownership change has nothing to do with it.

I would be surprised if anyone else is signed and cleared in time for the Olimpia matches. The question then becomes: Is DCU good enough, with its current roster, to advance to the semifinals? We'll see...

Posted by: Goff | February 2, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

soccer geek: As others have mentioned in responses to questions in a few of Goff's entries, the transfer window for MLS is open until April 15th. Any targets in South America that United has it's sights on have very few options, giving "us" quite a bit of bargaining power. I have every confidence that Payne, Soehn, Kasper et. al. will make the moves that need to be done to keep United successful in MLS, and competitive in international play.

Posted by: AlecW81 | February 2, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Steve your insight into DCU is invaluable to us hard core fans, thanks for the great work. Will you be traveling to Florida with the team because I'd really like to get some insight about Bryan Arguez
thanks

Posted by: Frankie Bones | February 2, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

No Florida for me, unfortunately. I'll be working on some DCU stories from here, but spending much of my time helping with our college basketball coverage.

Posted by: Goff | February 2, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Steve... Next Wednesday, what do you watch vs. what do you Tivo?

UNC v. Dook
or
USA v. Mexico

Posted by: Chris | February 2, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

DC United v U-17? That's how we're going to prepare for the madness of CD Olimpia's stadium in Honduras, by playing against teenagers?

You have got to be kidding.

Posted by: delantero | February 2, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff as always. I'm not sure if you mentioend elsewhere, but I noticed DC pick and GK Luis Robles signed with Kaiserslautern. That probably contributed the 'fluid' GK situation. I also noted that Tally Hall beat our Jay Nolly to a contract elsewhere. DOes that mean he's in camp?

Posted by: Aljarov | February 2, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I have a hard time believeing that Dyachenko's immigration issues were not at least on his or FC Toronto's radar. I am thinking Rod is glad to be back, and I am happy he is back too. He is definately worth a 1st round pick, especially since MLS coaching staff and technical directors don't get a lot of opportunity to observe college players. A solid developing player whose work ethic and potential are known is worth an almost random college kid from the draft (no disrespect to Brian Arguez intended).

Posted by: BStanton | February 2, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

It's so great to get all this inside info. This blog is super. Sorry you won't be in sunny FL next week, Steve, both for you and for us.

I hope no DCU player breaks some U-17's leg on Wednesday!

Posted by: Touchliner | February 2, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

USA-MEX or UNC-Duke? USA match, of course! (On paper, UNC is so much better than Duke this year.)

The game against the u-17 team is one of five exhibitions before the Olimpia match. And it was primarily scheduled to get the reserves and young guys some game action. The veterans have played in front of big, hostile crowds before -- the most important thing right now is fitness and chemistry (and getting a tie in Honduras).

Posted by: Goff | February 2, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

RE: Preparing for Honduras. THe U-17 supporters will be throwing batterys, bags of urine, etc.

Posted by: Duck and cover | February 2, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Best blog ever.

Posted by: Terp | February 2, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

What position do you think DC United will try
Arguez in--can he play outside right midfielder

Or is he more of a defender-type

Great blog--great to read

Posted by: DCSanAntonio | February 3, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Too early to say where Arguez fits in. He won't join the team until Monday. However, he is most comfortable in the middle of the park.

Posted by: Goff | February 3, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I will be most comfortable wherever I am told to be most comfortable.
I also need a hair cut. BAD.

Posted by: B. Arguez | February 3, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Wassup, my peeps. Yo, I got my boys covered on the wing...we don't need a fancy South American, I'll take care of that. My man, Josh Gros has been practicin' crossing all winter. He's gonna surprise those Olimpia schmoe's...now let's just see if he can cross the ball while projectiles are being thrown at him;)

Posted by: R. Dyachenko | February 3, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

If DC needs a goalkeeper why not try to sign Nick Noble from West Virginia. Before the draft he was always rated as one of the top goalies available, but wasn't drafted. Give the guy a shot and give yourself some cover!

Posted by: Jerm | February 4, 2007 7:01 PM | Report abuse

i would like to have more informations on the situation of kpene guy roland in MLS

Posted by: hugues | February 12, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse