United-Olimpia, The Match

I'll be watching from the comfort of my family room this evening, trying to put together a game story on deadline for the editions of the newspaper (what's a newspaper, anyway?).

I've created this thread for y'all to contribute running commentary for those who can't watch it on FSC or to analyze/vent/celebrate/commiserate among yourselves. Keep it clean, okay? Referees are our friends. We don't want to get shut down by Emperor Sports Bog Steinberg and his funny hat.

If possible, I'll chime in once in a while during the match, but for the most part, I'm going to be a bit busy until about an hour after the final whistle.

To avoid those annoying duplicate comment posts, do not refresh after submitting. If, for some reason, nothing happens, just shut down the page and call it back up again. Your comments should be there.

I'm giving you the keys to the Insider. Drive safely...

By Steve Goff  |  February 21, 2007; 5:30 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Garlick Gone?
Next: United-Olimpia, The Wrap-Up

Comments

Thanks Goff...DCUNITED!

The season 2007 is here...

Posted by: Nick | February 21, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Steve: I don't get Fox Soccer. Can I come over to your house? I'll bring the beer.

Posted by: Comcast subscriber | February 21, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Comcast digital cable. You don't have FSC as an option? Maybe not all areas...Bummer.

Posted by: Goff | February 21, 2007 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't pay extra for FSC because (1) I'm cheap, (2) I'd never spend any time with my family, and (3) I'm cheap.

Posted by: Comcast subscriber | February 21, 2007 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Do away goals count in the champions cup..or just straight aggregate score?

GO DC...I wore my DC warmup top to work..instead of the standard button down and tie!!!

Posted by: Matt | February 21, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

straight aggregate...

OT and PKs, I believe, in case of a tied series after two games.

Posted by: Goff | February 21, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse

then I'm glad we have the second leg at home...

Posted by: Matt | February 21, 2007 7:39 PM | Report abuse

one hour left...

OLE

Posted by: kenny | February 21, 2007 7:59 PM | Report abuse

one hour left.
OLE!!!

Posted by: kenny | February 21, 2007 8:00 PM | Report abuse

what are the odds that the live audio feed from DCunited.com Doesn't work, 4:1

Posted by: alan | February 21, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Good luck United!

We are all your fans tonight.

Posted by: Galaxy fan | February 21, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I hate people who don't let me use there televisions to watch FSC. Now because FSC has canceled their "online" feeds, I am stuck with pure audio...

Posted by: Dave | February 21, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Dave - so that is why I can't get the freetube to work? I just used it to watch the fiorentina game on Sunday too. Oh well.

Posted by: tmc | February 21, 2007 8:51 PM | Report abuse

the audio feed on dcunited.com esta descompuesto. que barbaridad.

Posted by: Paul | February 21, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

The FSC announcers are brutal. Factual errors, mispronounciations...

Wow...

Posted by: Goff | February 21, 2007 9:11 PM | Report abuse

if you think the announcers are bad you should see the subtitler ... so far I've seen 'Jimez Moreno', 'Jimey Moreno', 'Jimenez Moreno', and 'Jimez Mariano'.

Posted by: Gaffer | February 21, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Couple thoughts:

Gomez/Moreno have to put away that early chance...

The field really does look terrible.

It looks like we can still rely on Erpen for at least one tragic play each game.

I'm surprised, but even at this stage in the season, we look better than CD O.

Posted by: RB | February 21, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

"The FSC announcers are brutal."

that's an understatement. are we at the point yet (in terms of soccer in the usa) where we can complain about FSC. ive heard high school games with better color commentary (let alone play by play).

Posted by: Beauregard | February 21, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Not bad so far, though we aren't crisp in the midfield, and only the one attacking chance.

And we're giving up too many corners.

Though it is good to see that some things never change. Jaime made space in the box, but made one move too many, Bennie's got a yellow card...soon we should see Gomez come out of nowhere to create some magic, and erpen attempt to karate kick a ball and make a mess of it.

Posted by: Under my desk, VA | February 21, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh, man, that was fabulous!

Posted by: Under my desk | February 21, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

'soon we should see Gomez come out of nowhere to create some magic'

Posted by: Gaffer | February 21, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Aw, son of a....

Posted by: Under My Desk | February 21, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Announcer wondering if Erpen will remain in the game in the second half. And who shall they bring in, Paul???

And then Miles says Erpen was perhaps better than Boswell last year. Wow.

Posted by: Goff | February 21, 2007 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Ok, am I going crazy, or did they just say that many people thought that Erpen was a better defender than Boswell?

Who are these "many?" Clearly not people who vote on defender of the year...

Posted by: Under my desk | February 21, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

The referee is quite good

Olsen is having a terrible game -- defensive errors and giving the ball away. Gomez made an amazing shot, but really slack defending (mostly Simms) gave away a goal

Posted by: RB | February 21, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I've elected to turn the sound off...would be nice if FSC could spend some $ for real announcers someday.

Posted by: dcu fan | February 21, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Two terrific goals by DCU. Great stuff...

Posted by: Goff | February 21, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United!

Nice touch by Emilio. I hope we get to see a lot of that this year - a cross in from Gros, finished by Emilio. Love it.

Posted by: Under my Desk | February 21, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Two great goals from DC, and one poor set of defending on the Olympia goal. Great to see Emilio getting right into it, and Gomez picking up where he left off last year. I think DC had to give him the money to stay for at least another year.

Posted by: DCM | February 21, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh come, on the annoucers aren't nearly as bad as our defense thus far...

Emilio...I love this guy already!

Posted by: Nick | February 21, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow, just a great run and finish from Emilio -- he's going to be special for us this year. He's done a great job holding the ball up and just seems to be a perfect type of forward for us. He looks like the standard successful EPL striker, but a couple inches shorter and a couple pounds lighter.

Also, wow -- Gomez is playing some defense. He's hustling and got physical a few times. In general, we seem a bit afraid to kick someone (except Olsen who does it unintelligently).

A quick recap for those without the video feed: Gomez scored a great goal from ~25 yards right into the upper 90. We had some really slack marking on a cross and they got one back. Then, gross played a decent low cross in and emilio positioned himself really well and flicked it in with his heel.

Posted by: RB | February 21, 2007 9:55 PM | Report abuse

I asked my wife how much she thought I could make doing the play by play. I might go to broadcasting school. How do these guys get their jobs? I bet many of us would do it for free and be 10x better than these clowns. How many different ways can you pronounce Namoff?

Posted by: Andy In Asheville | February 21, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the recap RB. No video NOR audio here, just checking the board every once and awhile. Two away goals...very nice.

Posted by: DE | February 21, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

So far so good - Gomez with the golazo and Emilio getting the kind of go-to-the-net-hard goal that we have not seen too often in these parts.

I'm not sure of the move of Namoff to LB and Erpen to RB. With Erpen and Olsen on the same side, it is not working on the defensive side of things. Nsmoff will hopefully go back to RB which would let Gros provide coverage for Erpen and his errant passes and missed tackles.

FSC needs to do its homework - Miles has named at least 3 Olimpia starters that are different than the line-up that they posted at the start of the game.

Posted by: Zman | February 21, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

if Erpen keeps on defending like this we're going to pine for the days of David Stokes ---- that goal by Emilio is one of the better goals I've seen in a long time ---- it may be early to say this, but I think we're going to need Gomez to stay another year, and if that means a DP slot (low DP) then it's probably worth it

Posted by: Diego R. | February 21, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Off the post for Olympia. OUch

Posted by: DCUinCT | February 21, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United!
Viva Gomez!
Viva Emilio!
Alecko who?

Posted by: Bill in Md. | February 21, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

what's up with Moreno? He looks slow and has been giving the ball away very easily. Erpen has been a disaster since midway through last season. I hope KP and co. are looking for defenders and another midfielder.

This Emilio fellow is looking good. It's like the return of RDA...a real goal poacher that we have been lacking.

It's good that Gomez went off "on his own reconnaissance". That UCLA edumakation isn't doing Paul much good.

Posted by: Glenn | February 21, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

This is a much better attacking effort by the MLS team in this match than the previous one today (granted not having Ching hurt Houston).

Good on Emilio for not celebrating his goal.

Posted by: Howard | February 21, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

3-1 United !!!!!

Posted by: RFK 315 | February 21, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

GOMITO !!!! Ya beauty!!!

Posted by: Howard | February 21, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Looks like someone is making the case for the DC DP. Wow!

Posted by: dcuinCT | February 21, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me that compared to the other MLS teams, DCU's style is the one that is best suited for these regional competitions. Very possession-oriented.

Posted by: Howard | February 21, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

this would be a HUGE away win.

You've got to hand it to Tommy Soen for motivating this squad and them overcoming all the negative factors - first competitive match of the season, hostile honduran venue, players lost in the off-season, etc etc to be able to compete like this.

I can hardly wait to welcome these guys home next week.

Posted by: RFK 315 | February 21, 2007 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Moose comes in for Gómez. Fantastic performance by Gómez, my pick for best player on field.

Posted by: Howard | February 21, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Somebody needs to recruit this referee and ARs to work in MLS. Good positioning, good decision making. Let play go on whenever possible, didn't call a foul every time somebody hit the deck.

Posted by: Glenn | February 21, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Gomez is a god, but we need to play much tighter on D. We also need more speed on the wings. Not bad for a first game.

Posted by: keith | February 21, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Erpen.......GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Posted by: Zman | February 21, 2007 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Facundo! All doubters of the great Argentine defender recant!

Posted by: Bill in Md. | February 21, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Does that make it 4 - 1 ?!?!?!

Posted by: DE | February 21, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

who predicted 1-0 Olimpia?

Posted by: Glenn | February 21, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

never ever did i see this coming. muy bien. muy muy bien.

Posted by: fever | February 21, 2007 10:53 PM | Report abuse

It's all over now...what a game!

Great job by the ref and crew.

Posted by: Nick | February 21, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Well, I thought the match would end 1-1. Olimpia haven't been playing very well, but I didn't know if DCU would have been able to create enough goal-scoring opportunities. This result is a very pleasant surprise.

Posted by: Howard | February 21, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Erpen got a nice goal, but you can still doubt his defensive concentration.

Obviously a great result, but the players were understandably very tired towards the end (really, the last 30 minutes).

Emilio at some point looked like he thought enough goals had been scored... I'm sure he was just tired, but I would have liked to see more enthusiasm after his goal and a bit more bite towards the end (aggregate matters, after all).

Do we have a final answer as to whether there's an away goals rule, or whether it's just aggregate?

Posted by: RB | February 21, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A RESULT. I did not expect such a dominating performance. I can't wait until next Thursday.

Posted by: Todd | February 21, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

There is no away goals rule in CONCACAF competition. If it's tied on aggregate at the end of the second match, extra time will be played, and penalties if necessary.

Posted by: Howard | February 21, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Goffer, you were right - the refs are our friends. Actually, they're friends to soccer as a sport. Fantastic refereeing on both sides of the pitch. ------ Gomez played amazingly well. Solid first outing from Emilio with a spectacular goal. Midfield is a bit shaking and defense needs some tightening up. ------- one cautionary note before people get too excited. Depth. Our Christian Gomez for Justin Moose isn't going to scare anyone. Especially if the awful FSC announcers continue to say, "the Moose is loose." I bet that's the headline his high school newspaper ran after he played a good game.

Hooray United! Hooray Goffer! Hooray the first game of the season!

Posted by: Diego R. | February 21, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Three things:

1) The referee crew was great

2) The Olimpia fans were even better. Would you be singing when dowm 4-1 at home?

3) DC United...WOW!!!...they were the best!

Posted by: Andy In Asheville | February 21, 2007 11:05 PM | Report abuse

These announcers were just awful. Heck, even Marcelo Balboa and Dave O'Brien would do a better job.

Posted by: Annoyed | February 21, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I think that was the best refereeing job I've ever seen in CONCACAF. Lets get these guys for every United and National Team match.

Posted by: Marc | February 21, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

WOW, we may never lose again.

I think Goff should always predict we lose, it seems to work pretty well. :-)

Posted by: Rocko | February 21, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse