USA-MEX roster update

The USA roster for the Mexico match has arrived.

The original plan was for Onyewu and Beasley to be included, but that did not happen. Not sure why.

Mexico also called in reinforcements from Europe: Marquez from Barcelona, Salcido from PSV and Pardo and Osorio from Stuttgart.

The match, of course, is next Wednesday in suburban Phoenix.

Thoughts?

By Steve Goff  |  February 2, 2007; 1:14 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rod's Wild Ride
Next: Training Camp, Day 5

Comments

Gonna be a great game. Thanks for the update. Goff rules!

PS - DSteinz rules too, but in another part of the MLS/DCU kingdom. Please both keep blogging - the more interaction/cross-refs the better!

Posted by: dcbird | February 2, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I can understand Gooch being left out. Newcastle currently has 10 players on its injury list. They have 2 prem matches (Fulham & Liverpool, respectively) and have a UEFA Cup match against Zulte-Waregem next Thursday night in Belgium. They don't have the cover at center back to release him. It sucks for the US, but Gooch needs to get games in at Newcastle to show he can make the permanent move over the summer.

Posted by: Landis | February 2, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Are others as suprised as me that four DCU players made the final roster? I'm frankly surprised that Gros and Carroll showed enough to merit inclusion, when you consider that Kenny Cooper, among others, was left off.

Posted by: JJJ3 | February 2, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure about this roster - it leans heavily toward the front end of the alphabet. We need more balance from A to Z to be more successful on the international stage.
:-)

Posted by: SSMD | February 2, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Excited to see 4 DC players make the roster. I fully expect Boz to start, especially if they play three in the back. I doubt Gros, Carrol, or Namoff get to start but would not be surprised to see one or more get time as a sub, especially Brian Carrol.

The exclusion of Cooper, especially given that the selected strikers include Rolfe, Twellman, and Johnson, is the big story to my mind.

Posted by: United nats | February 2, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Somehow, I don't think Bradley was left choosing between Carroll and Cooper for the last spot. They don't exactly play the same position. Cooper lost out to Johnson and Twellman.

I'd feel a lot better about this roster if Gooch had been called in. Not that what's available at CB is bad, but Gooch is the best we've got. Mexico is calling in essentially their best possible squad; we are not. Keller, Cherundolo, Onyewu, Beasley...each of these guys would step into the lineup straight away (Beasley might be debatable, but with Convey's injury problems and Beasley's recent form, I think it's an easy decision).

On the other hand, if we can beat them with a squad missing several of our best players, it would be fantastic.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 2, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

No Onyewu is great news for Boswell.

Posted by: Goose | February 2, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I can understand Onyewu and Beasley staying in Europe. Onyewu has a real opportunity to jump right in to the Magpies' line-up; he can't afford to bail on a team in dire need for a friendly right off the bat. Likewise, Beasley is still fresh to Citeh and is close to breaking into the line-up.

I'm just surprised that Fulham let Dempsey go. I wonder if they thought camp plus the friendly would help get him fit. That's what's holding back his breaking into Fulham's line-up right now.

Lastly, don't get me wrong: I love our DC guys. BUT, seriously, Namoff, Carroll and Gros are international calibre? I just don't see it. They're all three perfect representations of what US soccer has been for some time, that is, plucky, fit, high work-rate but modest skill-wise. They're NOT what US soccer needs to BECOME for the national team to take the next step.

Posted by: UVa. 68 - 66 Dook | February 2, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I agree, on one hand I'm glad that Gros, Carroll, and Namoff are getting some recognition for their good play in MLS, but if they're what we have on the National level I am real worried.

Posted by: pat | February 2, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

its the first match for both teams since the world cup, and both teams have new coaches.

you have the copa america and the gold cup coming up this summer, expect an ugly game next week as both coaches will probably just see alot of players from here until the summer.

also, mexico called on nery castillo from olympiakos (greece). he's been olympiakos best player the last couple of seasons. he just never made up his mind on whether to play for mexico (mexican parents), uruguay (he was born in uruguay) or greece (greece offered him $$$ and an expedited process to gain greek citizenship).

Posted by: Vic | February 2, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Yea hopefully with Gooch gone Boswell can get some good minutes

Posted by: Evan | February 2, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The game is on Tuesday. That's important.

Posted by: Tim | February 2, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

It's an international fixture date. That means that lots of people will be called in regardless of their status with their clubs. My guess is Gooch is busy with non-soccer things (finding a house and restaurants that don't serve english food, learning to drive on the wrong side of the road).

I see that Borenstein has filled Cherundolo's role of "defender under six-feet tall."

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | February 2, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Always wondered, when they list the position ... is it the coach that says he's using player X as a striker, mid, or whatever? In question is Donavan. Internationally, he's been most effective when he can play withdrawn or even as an attacking midfielder, but he's always listed as a forward on the rosters.

Posted by: Matt | February 2, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Interesting picks at the GK spot.
You think Joe Cannon gets the start?

Posted by: Matt | February 2, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I simply don't understand some of these posts. I mean, this is a friendly in the middle of winter 3 years before the next World Cup. Who really cares if someone is left off?

This is not about winning. It's about player development. And if Gros and Carroll and Namoff are given a chance to prove their mettle against the Mexos, that's great. I'm all for it.

Posted by: delantero | February 2, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Now Eddie Johnson bites. Why didn't we take Cooper instead?

Posted by: delantero | February 2, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I share "UVa. 68 - 66 Dook"'s surprise that Dempsey got the call-up.

Is this a FIFA-sanctioned date for internationals, or did club coaches have the authority to withhold players from this game?

Personally, I think Dempsey would be better off staying in London and working on securing a starting role with Fulham. I also think that would be in the long-run interests of the USMNT, even though he gives us the short-term benefit of improving our chances of beating el Tri.

Posted by: Nordy | February 2, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I find it shocking that Cooper is left out, yet the underperforming Johnson is in. If you want to motivate EJ to play, leave his name off the roster and see how he reacts. Twellman I can see, since he didn't get a look in the first camp due to injury recovery, Rolfe is a bit of a ??? to me, 'specially over Cooper.
And I agree that by listing Donovan as a forward confuses matters more...

Posted by: conmuchogusto | February 2, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Nordy,

I agree wholeheartedly. There's little to be gained by bringing in Euro based players for a glorified scrimmage----jet lag, expense, risk of injury, etc. Should have given those players that are starting or trying to break the starting line up the time off.

Plus, how sweet will it be when Namoff, Gros and Company beat Mexico?

Posted by: delantero | February 2, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Rolfe and Johnson over Cooper.....interesting. so much for going away from the Arena era as far as letting play dictate selection. Kenny gave more effort in 10 min that Eddie has in 10 games. Rolfe is just a good ol boy for Bradley, has shown nothing in a handful of chances

Posted by: Anonymous | February 2, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Matt,

Re the goalkeeper question, if Tim Howard is being let go by Everton to fly 6,000 miles around the globe, I suspect he will be the starter on Wednesday. The starter will not be a guy who was just traded by his MLS team.

Posted by: JJJ3 | February 2, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I think Boswell deserves to be there, as does Gros. You cant underestimate the value of a guy on the flank that can run forever. He may not be a superstar, but against CONCACAF opponents in qualifying a guy like that can really help out.

Can't wait for Wednesday.

Posted by: Dave | February 2, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Tim - the game is on Wednesday

Posted by: pat | February 2, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Cooper didn't get picked because he is waaaay too slow for international play against a good team like Mexico...He is a pretty good MLS player but his only looks with the nats will be when there is an all-MLS roster called in or in games against lower caliber competition (maybe in some qualifiers against some Central American teams)...

Posted by: Nick | February 2, 2007 7:12 PM | Report abuse

"Cooper didn't get picked because he is waaaay too slow for international play against a good team like Mexico"

And Johnson is all around pretty terrible but is fast?

And Cooper out ran the Denmark defense with the ball at his feet to slide home a goal . . .

Posted by: delantero | February 3, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I've got to disagree with the other nick.
Cooper is plenty fast and plays with great energy. In fact, I'm puzzled what he was left off the team, but a way off form Johnson was kept on. I mean how many times is Johnson going to continue to be given a shot at the expense of others waiting in the wings.

Posted by: nick | February 3, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I've got to disagree with the other nick.

Posted by: nick | February 3, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

People around here won't understand how good Carroll is until he's gone. He's MNT caliber...without Pablo's red cards. As for Eddie Johnson, I worked harder typing this entry than he does in the 75m before he gets subbed.

Posted by: Eric Mondero | February 6, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse