Ahhh, Warmth

After a frigid morning out at the training grounds (see earlier post), the Insider has relocated to the heated media holding pen deep below Estadio RFK.

So y'all want to know what Fred has to say about joining DCU, right? You want to hear him talk about the move from Australia to MLS, about playing alongside another Brazilian at DCU, about his excitement playing for MLS's most decorated team? Right? Right?

Sorry, ain't happening. Until the acquisition of Fred is official (that international transfer certificate thing is still in limbo), he's off limits to the Insider. Outrageous, ain't it? E-mail your complaints to Commish Don Garber.

Rest assured, Fred is adjusting nicely -- to his new teammates, to his new home (a hotel, for now) and to the chilly weather.

Fred is not allowed to talk about Fred, but Tom Soehn and Bobby Boswell are.

Here's Soehn:

"He's going to fit well into the way we play. He's a guy who likes to link up and move off the ball. First day, he looked pretty comfortable playing alongside some of the other guys. For starters, it was a good first day."

On where he will play: "I think a person like that, you are going to find that he can help us in multiple areas. I think that will end up all playing out for itself. Having choices in spots on given days to give guys days off is going to be vital. We have a few luxury players and he's going to be one of them."

(Insider's opinion: As soon as he adjusts to DCU's system and gets back into game shape, he will start -- probably right side of midfield, but will pinch inside and move up when the opportunity presents itself.)

Boswell: "I thought he was good, man, I thought he was very good. I think he's going to fit in nicely with the way we play, especially with Christian, Jaime, Luciano. He plays a real good short game. I'll be interested to see how he plays in a bigger, open field [as opposed to today's drills]. He works hard."

(read on...)

Looking back at the Chivas first leg after watching tapes, Soehn said: "The first half we weren't as bad as I thought we were and second half we weren't as good as I thought we were. Ultimately, we spent a lot of energy defending well. We focused a lot on taking away the things they do well -- getting service often -- and I thought we accomplished that, except for the goal. We didn't give them many chances. They may have had some of the possession, but after watching it, it was possession that didn't really hurt you. On the other side of it, we won some balls high but weren't good with the ball. We didn't expose the weak side, which was on all game, and those areas, we're going to have to address because to beat them, we're going to have to do a better job of finding those situations that change the field. And when we win the ball high, we've got to be dangerous with it, and I don't think we were on that day. But I was really happy with the amount of energy we put into putting them under pressure. We made it pretty hard for them and basically took away their service from the flanks."

Now for the big news.....the Boswell Web site party tomorrow night!

Says Boz: "I don't have a whole lot to do with that. I got some people working on it. It's going. We're working on it."

Supermodels?

"We've invited a couple. We'll see if they show up."

Olsen invited?

"Yeah, but I don't know if he'll make an appearance. His clubbing days are behind him. It's kind of a posh place, so I don't know if he'll be there. Maybe I should ask his wife if he's allowed to stop by."

By Steve Goff  |  March 19, 2007; 1:33 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred Mania
Next: USA Preparations

Comments

Goff,

I love it. Olsen having to check in with the wife. And with the Sports Bog down for fatherhood, I'm glad to hear that you're taking up the baton.

One questions. Is Steinberg missing his Chapeau because you've appropriated it? All good soccer journalists need a fedora.

Posted by: G-Unit | March 19, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Hats are for dorks.
;-)

Posted by: Goff | March 19, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I agree with coach, after watching the match a couple of times on TiVO. How anyone can post anything about the matches immediately following them after standing/jumping in the Barra Brava/Screaming Eagles/La Norte sections is beyond me. What did I see? Flags. That's what I saw.

Oh, and Club America of Mexico City can go ahead and send us a check right now. They won their first Super Classico in a while over CD Guadalajara last night, 1-0. My Spanish isn't quite up to snuff, but I thought I heard the announcers saying that Chivas were coming off a hard match at DC United and didn't look up to the task.

And for all those folks who were all down about so many Chivas fans being at RFK and the "Chivas, Chivas" chants reverberating around the ground, the same was true at Azteca for America's home game. Several times I could hear "Chivas, Chivas" accompanied by whistling from the America fans as well as other unprintable insults.

If Bozzie's Web site launch party (Web site launch party?) is at a posh place, Ben's automatically out. He dresses like a Bohemian beat poet or indie rock drummer. Nuffin posh 'bout Ben.

Posted by: Soehn on Soccer | March 19, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Any truth to the rumor that DCU were on the verge of acquiring the rights to Ronaldinho?

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | March 19, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, any day now...

Posted by: Goff | March 19, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Great stuff like usual.

Glad to hear Fred's already fitting in.

Who else stood out in the practice? Any of the rookies/new guys stand out for you?

Posted by: Rob | March 19, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

No one really stands out during these types of practices -- a lot of fitness training and small-field games. Anyone who tells you otherwise is reading too much into it. The true indicator comes during late-week sessions and scrimmages prior to serious matches.

Posted by: Goff | March 19, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

In general, though, Moose has improved considerably, McTavish has a future and Arguez has big-time potential. (Which isn't to say the other young guys have not impressed; I'm just pointing out three players who have done well early in the process.)

Posted by: Goff | March 19, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

thanks for my fix, goff.

Posted by: l st | March 19, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic coverage. As a DCU fan transplanted to Boston, I really appreciate dah Insidah.

Posted by: Paul | March 19, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Screw Boston. This is appreciated all the way in Laramie, WY.

Posted by: Viv | March 19, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

And East Lansing, MI, even if that's not quite as far away as Laramie.

Posted by: Paul | March 19, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm a DC United fan from San Juan, PR. Go figure! Goff I must say I do wait everyday for DC Ubited news and Fred and Emilio's signings have been fun to follow. Now for MLS to make Fred official and for you to crank out the article about our latest signing's feelings about his new team and his trip from down undah!

Posted by: Felix | March 19, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

And Arlington, VA. As a United fan that has season tickets I really appreciate the Insider.

Posted by: Kinney | March 19, 2007 7:39 PM | Report abuse

as someone who goes to school in sc but is from fairfax and loves dcu, i appreciate the fabulous updates

Posted by: hfic | March 19, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Many thanks!

Spread the word about the blog.

Some days will be busier than others, but I'll try to keep you updated....

sg

Posted by: Goff | March 19, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Orlando, Florida right here!!! fan of dc since the first time I saw el diablo.

Posted by: koolcaio | March 19, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Keep up the great work! With Annapolis set to host a new USL-2 team, Crystal Palace USA, will the Post cover the team at all or leave that up to the Capital newspaper?

Posted by: Dan | March 19, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Seattle in the other Washington checking in..

Posted by: jade | March 19, 2007 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Belmont, NC loves Goff and the Insider. It's a must read every day.

Posted by: United in NC | March 19, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

You even reach me as far as Columbia...Heights. Ok, mabye not that far away, but your blog is just great! Thanks for the updates.

Posted by: Chris | March 19, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I win -- checking in from India (though only temporarily)

Posted by: RB | March 19, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

No, we won't cover the Crystal Palace team regularly (we don't cover the area's three minor league baseball teams anymore either), but I am planning a feature story at some point on who they are and why they are here.

Posted by: Goff | March 19, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the great info, Goff. As a DCU fan who had season tix starting from day one, but is now transplanted to Germany (but still able to be at RFK in most of the summer...teaching can be a great gig sometimes)--- this blog keeps me grounded. Keep up the great work.

Posted by: todd11 | March 20, 2007 4:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm reading this in ...Gasp!... Iraq.

Posted by: toolboy | March 20, 2007 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Just thought I'd add Atlanta, GA to the list of DCU outposts. The DCU Diaspora grows every day! How about an exhibition vs. the Silverbacks?

Posted by: Grotus | March 20, 2007 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Steve Goff gets mad props from The Unknown Fire Fan here in Chicago. I wish Luis Ricosuave at the Tribune was half the soccer journalist your man Goff is.

Posted by: The Unknown Fire Fan | March 20, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

All I have is EPL here in the uk and I could care less...viva DC!! Keep it up Goff. Went to Fulham v Aston Villa a couple of weeks ago - the magic quartet would chew them up. Fulham USA has been downright boring.

Posted by: London Dan | March 20, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Well I can't beat Iraq, but I'm reading this from Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if this country was to become a major source of soccer talent in the region. They have a rapidly improving semi-pro league and the level of skills from the players is pretty impressive.

Oh, and I guess I do have a question: Are you allowed to bring a photographer / take pictures yourself at practice? It'd be great to see a few shots of the boys in action on the Insider.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Posted by: Max | March 20, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

No, unfortunately, no DCU photos here unless we send a staff photographer for a specific story.

Posted by: Goff | March 20, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Everyday reader here in Oxford, Mississippi - but not for long, as I will be moving up to Annapolis in two months.

Posted by: nh | March 20, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Add one more in Knoxville TN - A Rocky Top United fan

Posted by: DC in Tennessee | March 20, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Back in the day, 1997, I had season tickets to DCU. Then I moved to Cali, Oakland to be exact. Became a Quakes fan and then moved to LA.

Now I have Galaxy season tickets, but I check in on the Insider everyday because I will always have a soft spot in my heart for DCU. And because Goff covres the good stuff. Between you and my other addiction, Eye-Ves Galarcep, I feel like I've got the best perspective on MLS I can get without being in the league offices.

Keep up the good work.