DCU-Motagua

Here is your DCU starting lineup vs. Honduran club Motagua at Tropical Park Stadium in Miami:

Nolly --- Erpen, Boswell, Namoff --- Olsen, Carroll, Simms, Gomez, Gros --- Moreno, Emilio

UPDATES:
*Gros works give and go with Gomez, Gros scores from 10 yards in the 6th minute
*Motagua equalizes on a 25-yard free kick midway through the half
*Boswell hits the post
*Gomez plays short corner kick to Moreno, quickly gets ball back and beats goalie to near post
*2-1 United at the break
*Sub at the half: Moose for Carroll (Moose plays RMF, Olsen drops into defensive MF)
*Subs in the 60th: Wilson for Erpen, McTavish for Olsen, J. Carroll for Gomez, Walker for Moreno
*Emilio goes through Motagua defense, scores to far post from 15 yards -- 3-1 DCU
*Subs in the 69th: Casal for Namoff, Arguez for Simms, deRoux for Gros, Kpene for Emilio
*deRoux -- yes, deRoux -- scores on an assist from J. Carroll -- 4-1 DCU
*Dyachenko not in uniform, tweaked his knee this week
*Motagua gets one back in the 90th -- 4-2

FINAL: United 4, Motagua 2

*The club will return to Washington this weekend and prepare for Thursday night's Champions' Cup semi, first leg, vs. Chivas at RFK Stadium.
*Welton Silva did not play. It appears his tryout will end without a contract offer.

By Steve Goff  |  March 9, 2007; 8:42 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: U.S. Women Win Again
Next: Super Clasico

Comments

I hope we shouldn't be too alarmed to see Nolly starting tonight instead of Perkins?

Posted by: Keenan | March 9, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

No, that was expected as Troy recovers.

Posted by: Ursula | March 9, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like we've had some chances. Nice to Gros on the score sheet!

Posted by: Keenan | March 9, 2007 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Awesome. Thanks for the updates kind sir!

Posted by: Voyager | March 9, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Goff On Demand!

Thanks for the updates, dude.

I'm not alarmed that Nolly is starting. I AM alarmed that he's getting beat by a free kick from 25 yards out.

Posted by: soccer geek | March 9, 2007 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Wilson in.

Posted by: Nogra Rover | March 9, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Is Dyachenko somewhat down on the depth chart this season? After he was reacquired from Toronto, I would have thought that he would be more of an sub option at midfield than Moose (beside playing attacking midfielder, Dyachenko was supposed to get some outside mid work per Kasper) or forward than Walker.

Posted by: Eric Z | March 9, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Good point Eric Z. Whither Dyachenko?

Interesting that Casal came in for Namoff. Trying him out in the back? I didn't think that was the position he was originally penciled in for.

Posted by: soccer geek | March 9, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

And in the time it takes me to type my comment, we have the answer on Dyachenko from Steve-o.

Goff On Demand! Can't beat it with a stick.

Posted by: soccer geek | March 9, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

now, that scoreline is more like it !
Will "Emilio scores to the far post" become a mantra this season ?
It has a nice ring to it...

Posted by: RFK 315 | March 9, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

What is the deal with DCU, Honduras clubs and 4-1 scorelines?

Even with Dyachenko nicked, I was surprised that he never got into either Olimpia game.

deRoux - deRoux - deRoux IS ON FIRE!!!!

Posted by: Eric Z | March 9, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Was this just a scrimmage or was it somewhat more formal (as in attended by a ticket-buying public)?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 9, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

It was a friendly. A few thousand in attendance.

Posted by: Goff | March 9, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Friendly with a $25.00 General admission ticket!!!

Posted by: eddyl | March 9, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Hope he scores in front of the home crowd just to hear that chant. Priceless.

Posted by: deRoux is on Fire | March 9, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

i love the deRoux chant. man i hope he scores that will be awesome.

Posted by: Kenny | March 10, 2007 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Steve, what's the status of a couple of the subs: Casal and Kpene?

United has Kpene listed as unsigned and doesn't even have Casal on their unsigned roster.

Are these guys likely to be picked up?

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 10, 2007 8:24 AM | Report abuse

for those that missed it in the other thread

Courtesy of Yanks Abroad .. .

FEARRINGTON GRATEFUL FOR DCU SHOT
Greg Seltzer for Yanks Abroad Friday, March 9, 2007

FC Copenhagen reserve defender Jamil Fearrington was not offered a deal by recent auditioners DC United, but says it was nice just to get the chance.

The youngster admitted to having a little trouble fitting into the capital crew's 3-5-2 set during his week of training in America.

"DC will not be my future employer, but it was a good experience," Fearrington told YA. "All the players and coaching staff are really nice guys, and it's an experience I wouldn't have gone without."

"On the field, I was surprised how different the style of play was compared to what I'm used to in Copenhagen - and Europe, period."

The longtime Copenhagen prospect appears frozen out by international players in Denmark, and could see himself faring better with a more traditional two-way right back role.

"I had a hard time adjusting to the way they played, so I think it was hard for me to show off my attributes," conceded Fearringon.

"For now, there are no other MLS trials lined up, but you never know. I think an MLS club playing with a four-man defense would suit me much better."

Posted by: delantero | March 10, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else worried that we can't seem to keep a clean sheet?

Posted by: :::::: | March 10, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

The club fully intends to retain Casal, Kpene and Crowe. Just waiting to finalize the contracts and, perhaps, announce them all at the same time.

Posted by: Goff | March 10, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

No, it's still the preseason.
We haven't played a full 90 with a 1st string D and DMids yet, as we want to get as many of our younger guys on the field as possible as much as possible.

Posted by: AlecW81 | March 10, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

plus.. if we keep lighting up the back of the net.. why worry about a clean sheet...

this aint football.. defense doesnt win championships... Emilio, Gomez, and Moreno do!

Posted by: Kenny | March 10, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

just read on ESPN.com that Chelsea will be playing Galaxy in July for the Becks debut. It also alludes to Chelsea playing another game in California but does not say an opponent. Mayb DC United like they deal with Real Madrid in Seattle last year? I remember the valant effort DC gave againest Chelsea at RFK a few years ago I'd love to see a rematch. Are you hearing anything Goff?

Posted by: Kenny | March 10, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

---------

Posted by: Kenny | March 10, 2007 12:10 PM
---------

I remember that Chelsea/DC friendly being out in Raljon/Landover/FedEx Md.

It would be great if DC got in some good summer friendlies in '07, but they already have the extra SuperLiga games scheduled, and I don't know if they'd want to travel to the West Coast for a friendly again, even if it is against Chelsea. Let Colorado or some other team (perhaps even the U23 Olymipic team, led by Bradley and Mourinho-pal Nowak) have that match.

Posted by: Don | March 10, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

First of all, I don't think we are going to need any more games this summer. We're already in 4 competitions.

Second, anyone heard anything about ticket sales for the Chivas game?

Posted by: Max | March 10, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Yes, i meant FedEx. My apologies. And we are in a lot of competitions but I just put it out there. I doubt we actually go there but I wasnt sure and wanted to know what people were hearing. And from what i read on BigSoccer this moring, the Chivas tickets are going fast and apparantly tickets in the upper bowl are available? Someone said that ticketmaster was selling them? That would be amazing to see the place packed from wall to wall.

Posted by: Kenny | March 10, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

""this aint football.. defense doesnt win championships... ""

Tell that to the Italians. Four World Cups later . . .

Posted by: Anonymous | March 10, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I see your Italy and raise you Brazil (5)...

Posted by: JSF | March 10, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Italy played all their WC games with two forwards...not counting Totti...and sometimes late in the game, like against Germany, they had four forwards on the field. It was Brazil who played with one [fat] forward in a 4-5-1. That's why Brazil went out. You can't samba in a 4-5-1. Attack! Attack! We didn't win MLS Cup last year not because of our defense, it was because Christian Gomez was the only one who could score at the end of the season.

Posted by: I'll see you Brazil and raise you an attacking Italian side | March 10, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious... why does DCU use a 3 man back rather than a 4? Most side backs help in the offence anyway, and 5 in the middle seems congested... anyone with an answer?

Posted by: Vega | March 11, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'll take a stab . . .

Playing a 3-5-2 plays to our strengths.

We're loaded with tenacious, quick albeit not blazing fast midfielders---Gomez, Olsen, etc---and strikers--Moreno, used to have Esky. The 5 middies allows high pressure defense, quick, short passes in space. Not many in MLS are able to play that way effectively.

Teams should be able to play over the top on us, but our D is just solid enough (or perhaps the opposition is just bad enough) that teams can't take much advantage of the 3 in the back----unless you are PUMAS!

Posted by: delant | March 11, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse