Fred, Finally

DCU/MLS and Melbourne have reached a financial settlement involving Fred's contract and international transfer certificate.

So after weeks of haggling, it can finally be said: Fred is officially a member of D.C. United and will be eligible to play in the second leg of the Chivas series Tuesday as well as the MLS opener at Colorado a week from Saturday.

It was strictly a money deal, nothing else -- no friendlies between the clubs, no future considerations.

As you already know, he will wear No. 7.

We here at Insider Nation told you exclusively weeks ago that this was going to happen. And now it is done.

I'll have more for you later...

[UPDATE] Just got off the phone with Fred (actually, his interpreter, the multidimensional Boris Flores) from Guadalajara. Here are some of his thoughts (Fred's thoughts, not Boris's!):

On having to wait for the transfer certificate: "I was a bit worried about that. I didn't know what was going on with the other club, but I am happy now because I know I can help my teammates. I am looking forward to contributing to the team."

On whether he is fit enough to play vs. Chivas: "I think I could play the whole match, if I had to. I've been training with the team for a couple weeks and physically I feel good."

On why he decided to leave Australia and sign with DCU: "I believe MLS competition is much superior to Australia and I wanted to progress my career."

On his comfort level on the right side: "I played there in Brazil so I am very comfortable."

His favorite player and teams while growing up: Romario, Cruzeiro and AC Milan.

By Steve Goff  |  March 29, 2007; 3:34 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bye Bye, Mariners
Next: In Residency

Comments

But what about our defensive deppppppth!?

Kidding, great news! Thanks for the update, and all you aussies out there, buy yourself something nice.

Posted by: Logan Circle | March 29, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

There is a God.

Posted by: ohboyohboy | March 29, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Not sure it would have been much of a "friendly" anyway. The whole deal has just left a bitter taste in my mouth. Can't wait to actually see this guy play.

Posted by: Drunken Duncan | March 29, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Sweet!

Posted by: Mike | March 29, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Aussies didn't get too much United's cash. Here's to hoping Fred is the answer we need.

Posted by: 204 | March 29, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"the MLS opener at Colorado a week from Saturday."

i've known the date for so long but to hear it put that way drove home how close it is to the beginning of the season. i can't wait!

Posted by: pat | March 29, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I predict a meltdown at BigSoccer around roughly 6 p.m. ET ;)

Posted by: Dave The Wave | March 29, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

What's bigsoccer?
;-)

Posted by: Goff | March 29, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

You know what ***k the Australian FFA and A-League for their handling of this. They held us over a barrel for just how much money?

That's B.S.

I hope MLS does have that Pan Pacific championship with A-League teams and I hope Melbourne is there. ***k a friendly. I want blood for their b.s.

Posted by: You know | March 29, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I've heard it's a magic land with thousands of promotion/relegation threads.

Posted by: BulaJacket | March 29, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Fred is way overhyped! What has he ever done for DCU!?!

Posted by: surprisingly not-surprised | March 29, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

FRED!!!!! At long last the Magic Rhombus shall take the field.

Interesting rumor about Eddie Johnson being signed by Boca Juniors . . .

Posted by: del | March 29, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Just added some quotes to the story above...

Posted by: Goff | March 29, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so it's in Spanish. Just know that it's a blurb about EJ being signed by Boca, no real details.

Posted by: delatn | March 29, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

FRED NOW!!

Posted by: Mike | March 29, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

AUS-some.

Posted by: Arrrlington | March 29, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

So glad to have this odyssey over...now let's get to what is important -- seeing him play.

Boris Flores? Did you make that name up?

Posted by: RK | March 29, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Boris is one of United's communications officials.

Posted by: Goff | March 29, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

any (general) idea how much money?

Posted by: Lonnie | March 29, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the report Steven. Can you give us your opinion on what the regular starting lineup might look like now?

Posted by: lawrenceterp | March 29, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

"Boris Flores? Did you make that name up?"

Seriously, what an awesome name!

Posted by: Kev | March 29, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Boris is the pride of El Salvador! (and a former reporter for a D.C. area Spanish newspaper)

No idea how much was paid to get Fred cleared, but his salary will start at around 150K.

Posted by: Goff | March 29, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave | March 29, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Quoth the Goffster:

"Starting lineup: Perkins; Erpen, Boswell, Namoff; Fred, Carroll, Olsen, Gomez, Gros; Moreno, Emilio."

That's a thing of beauty. It's got 'Champion' written all over it.

Posted by: soccer nerd | March 29, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

was there any resolution to the "fred" jersey issue...will it say "fred" on the back?

Posted by: l st | March 29, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

His uniform will say: "F. Carreiro" -- despite the fact that he has always been known as Fred and will be marketed by the team as Fred.

I am told it was a front office decision.

This is awful.

What's next: return to game clocks counting down and shootouts?

Posted by: Goff | March 29, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I think DCU should reverse the trend of one-named Brazilians and find a way to get his full name on the jersey:

Helbert Frederico Carreiro da Silva.

There's only one Helbert Frederico Carreiro da Silva!

One Helbert Frederico Carreiro da Silva!

One Helbert Frederico Carreiro da Silva!

...and he plays for United!

Posted by: Williezo | March 29, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Their manners haven't improved a bit since we stuck them on prison ships and sent 'em to Botany Bay.

Bom Dia, Fred!

Posted by: Trevallyan | March 29, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

"I am told it was a front office decision."

DC front office or MLS front office?

Who's gonna buy an "F. Carreiro" replica? The people want "Fred."

Posted by: Anonymous | March 29, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm getting a replica LS with Fred. If I cant get Fred, I will write on it with white paint/marker.

Posted by: the cheat | March 29, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

DC front office

Posted by: Goff | March 29, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Goff, have you told front office to rethink that horrendous decision? F. Carreiro? Thats a joke!!! Does anyone in MLS know about marketing FFS? Fred is a billion times easier to market than f. Carreiro...

Posted by: Felix | March 29, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Awful, awful, awful decision.

sigh

Posted by: Goff | March 29, 2007 7:15 PM | Report abuse

F. Carreiro vs. Fred on the jersey? The DC United front office has been ahead of the curve on ALL things MLS, since it's inception. They are really dropping the ball big-time on this one.

DCU are you listening? Get a clue!

Posted by: Winoman | March 29, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Steve. Mathis to New York? Seriously?

Where does this rate on a 1-10 hilarity scale after their fans were expecting Angel? I've gotta go with at least a 7.

Posted by: Goose | March 29, 2007 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Mathis trade is a shocker.

Posted by: Goff | March 29, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I think the best part of the Fred quotes is that he has played on the right side before and feels comfortable there - that was a cause for concern.

Posted by: ff | March 29, 2007 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if their descision to not use Fred as the jersey name was to not have any confusion with DC's former player Freddy Adu

I recall seeing somebody either on this blog or another who responded to Fred being part of this years team and they said someting like 'o i see young master adu is growing up and wants to drop the dy from his name'

clearly there has to be some reason why the front office elected to go with F. Carreiro and not Fred. Steven, can you shine any insight as to what they are thinking?

Posted by: top notch reporting goff | March 29, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Has nothing to do with Adu. Just a rigid policy. They don't want to be like some MLS teams that allow players to put ridiculous names on their jerseys. I understand that. But this is ridiculous. What will they do if Ronaldo joins the club next season?

Posted by: Goff | March 29, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Didn't MLS let Joe-Max Moore put "Joe-Max" on his jersey instead of Moore? I seem to remember they did it to stop people from calling him Joe Max-Moore.

Posted by: bbarrie | March 29, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

You lot that are having a crack at Melbourne, show yourselves down here if you're so tough and see how you end up.

Just be happy that you have a great player.

As for convicts, at least our buildings are all still standing. Fu*king war-mongering bastards.

Posted by: Victoey2006 | March 29, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Hi from Melbourne.

I don't understand some of the aggro towards Melbourne Victory here.

Fred was contracted to June....

We got a settlment on his contract and transfer to release him early.

Football teams are businesses not charities.

Having said that good luck to Fred and DC.

Posted by: Guido | March 29, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

"If you had a player contracted for some period and some European team wanted him and he wanted to go before his contact is out would you just let him go?"

If we were out of season and his contract expired before we were to start again? Yes. It's happened in the past.

Real classy with the 9/11 joke, Victory2006, way to prove us all wrong about you guys.

Posted by: Goose | March 29, 2007 9:30 PM | Report abuse

F Adu
Now that is a jersey I would buy

Posted by: F me | March 29, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Clubs terminate contracts with departing players all the time.

Posted by: Goff | March 29, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Dear you know,
mate, you are an idiot, what did we ever do to you. You got your player, good luck to fred. The FFA did nothing, the A-league is in it's second season so you can't bag it either. Look how far the socceroos went in the world cup. You cannot hold anything against us unless we've done something to you. after what you've just said, and if you do come to Australia, you will wish you went to hell. Good luck DC, and to fred.

Posted by: Melbourne Victory fan | March 29, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Yes, classy comment Victoey2006. You must be so proud. Those of us who lost friends and relatives on 9/11 are right with ya. Do you speak for all of your club's supporters?

Posted by: Goff | March 29, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

nuff said.

Posted by: to nieve Aussies | March 29, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Of course he's going to say that.

What did you expect him to say? "I came here for money, even thought the competition is the worst in the world". What garbage.

The MLS isn't THAT far ahead as you think in terms of playing quality. And you lot had a 10 year head start too.

His manager is a scumbag by the way.

Screw you Marcio.

Posted by: Victory2006 | March 29, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

^^^
Your a fool. The only way you can tell whether a league is superior or not if clubs from either league go head to head.

Are you telling me the Coca-Cola Championship is better than Serie B or C1 because it is more cashed up and has a bigger profile?

Posted by: socceroo_06 | March 29, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Well done.

You're league is disputedly superior. Maybe its because it is so commercialised (Red Bull New York?) and you waste millions of dollars a week paying has-beens to play that you consider it superior.

Next time an A-League team plays an MLS team we'll see who is better.

But until then the only common rankings and competition Australia and the USA share is the World Cup. And where did the USA finish?

Nuff said.

Posted by: zilch | March 29, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

"if you do come to Australia, you will wish you went to hell"

How ironic...

Probably more water in hell...

Posted by: B | March 29, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Who the hell are you's to talk down the A-League and bag out the aussies!!

The MLS had 10yrs to develop and come to where it has now. The A-League will be in its 3rd year and has developed far quicker than what the MLS has in its 10yrs!! Supperior my A$$!

Good luck to Fred and DCU he's very skilled and is a great team player, but what have the aussies done to you all for you's to talk trash about us!!

FFS!

Nuff said!

Posted by: MzVODKA | March 29, 2007 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Blind Freddy could see it was about the money. The US is a footballing wasteland, not even a dent on the national sporting psyche.

The fact that they have folks in a position to compare the leagues from nations that have disrepency in populaiton, world cup appearances and funds...and the fact that our league is only what..2 and a bit years old?

Come off it you dumb yanks.

Posted by: socceroo_06 | March 29, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Man, who knew that Aussies were so sensitive. Look, I have watched several A-League matches via the Fox Soccer Channel. The atmosphere looks great, and the league is not that bad, but the only true way to find out which is league is better is if either DC United or the Houston Dynamo advance to the FIFA Club World Cup, and a team from Australia advances. That would be the true indicator of who is better on an international stage. That said, Fred is now on United, so to all of the socceroos, get over it, and move on. I hope one day that the US and Australia schedule some friendlies. I would love to see the outcome.

Posted by: DC4Ever | March 29, 2007 10:29 PM | Report abuse

It's getting close to April 1st, and Payne does love his jokes. Is that what the F. Carreiro jersey thing is about Steven? This would be very well played, given the reaction it's getting here. Maybe someone with a better memory than me can post about the classic one he pulled off several years ago with the help of the infamous Metroscum-supporting M. Mejido.

Posted by: pbh | March 29, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

No joke. Barring a last-minute change, F. Carreiro will be on the jersey. What a wasted marketing opportunity.

Posted by: Goff | March 29, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

"I hope one day that the US and Australia schedule some friendlies. I would love to see the outcome."

We play you in September.

Posted by: socceroo_06 | March 29, 2007 10:41 PM | Report abuse

The Aussies are just mad because Phelps is cleaning up...

Posted by: CY | March 29, 2007 10:44 PM | Report abuse

i wondered when the Aussies would show up... except i thought they'd be up in arms about Fred's matter-of-fact "MLS is superior" quote (without even a nod to good times with MVC).

gentlemen, only one poster on here really ripped you. everyone else is just glad to have the player and hopeful that our team didn't spend too much for him.

as for the quality of the leagues: comparing World Cup results is irrelevant to start with when talking about leagues, but even still, if the US had had the choice to trade groups with Australia in 06, we'd have done it in half a heartbeat, and we'd have advanced just fine even playing as poorly as we did.

as for the "head start"... well MLS would be on a level with Serie A if they hadn't had a 65-year headstart. that's malarkey.

best wishes to repeat as A-league champions this coming year.

Posted by: jeremy | March 29, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Dudes, give it up. The fact that you aren't even aware of common courtesy between clubs acquiring players speaks volumes.

Fred had his say.

No one ever got beat up over a message board.

Good luck next year.

Posted by: viv | March 29, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Another measurement of leagues is when a good-but-not-great player from the 2nd division in the U.S. goes to the A-League and becomes one of the better attacking players in the league. (Diego Walsh)

Posted by: Max | March 29, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

i'd like to offer one small vote of support for the F. Carreiro policy. maybe it's a missed opportunity to market to non-fans, but as a fan i just want to see quality on the field.

DC has typically looked to sign players, not names. that's part of the reason why we have 10 championships and Metro have none.

Posted by: jeremy | March 29, 2007 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Funny thing about Aussies. Every time I go to Singapore or Malaysia one of the first questions I get asked is "Are you Austrailian?" When I say, "No I'm an American" the reaction is a huge smile sometimes followed by a "thank god" and then they go on to say how much they hate Austrailians. It has happened more than a dozen times over a period of 5 years.

I never expected to be embraced not because I was an American but because I wasn't Austrialian.

Posted by: True Story | March 29, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Come on everyone, the true solution to determining who has a better football culture is obvious! A home-away series: Native American Indian All-Stars vs. Aboriginal All-Stars. Nuff said!

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 29, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Some people seem angry at Fred for moving to DC and express it by saying he's only moving here for the money as if that were an insult to DC or the MLS or even the U.S.

Fred is a professional, this is his JOB. Playing football is how he makes a living. I'm sure he didn't move to Melbourne because of that city's storied footballing history.

As a professional, he can only take advantage of the best opportunities he can when he can. He seems to believe that the MLS is a better option for him right now. If he dominates the MLS and improves while he is here, perhaps he will move somewhere else that will pay him more money, who knows?

But you can't be mad at him for trying to challenge himself as much as he can, you can't get mad at DCU for trying to get the best players they can, and you certainly can't fault the Victory for trying to get as much as they can for their star player.

Posted by: bribri | March 29, 2007 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Re the Fred jersey issue... I think I might just buy a DCU jersey and put Fred and #7 on it.

Posted by: bribri | March 29, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

"We already have an English player who is now in the Dutch 1st division coming to us so we are quite happy."

Joe Keenan who failed a trial at New York last year. Yes, he wasn't good enough for New York.

Posted by: Mike | March 29, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Fred is a happy, flexible guy who adapts well to his new environment....so having read his interviews here in Oz...it doesn't surprise me that his is suddenly at one with his new DC United team.

That said I'm still a big fan of Fred's and I will certainly be adding DC United to my fav clubs list.....while he's there.

Posted by: SuddenlyFredBare | March 30, 2007 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Well maybe Keenan was not good enough for New York but good enough for the A-League.

I don't want to offend anyone here. Long live the MLS, long live Washington United, Long live Fred.

What I object to though is the attitude of *some* (a minority) towards Melbourne Victory, the A-League and Australian 'soccer' in general.

Is the MLS at a higher level than the A-League? Of course. But that does not mean that we deserve jibes about getting the player by giving us a signed shirt (this was actually written by the author of this blog) like we are some miserable team with just a couple of dollars to rub together. It smacks of arrogance for no reason...talking about convicts and the like. If we were traditional rivals but we hardly know each other.

Some Melbourne people have written offensive things. I can't vouch for them. However for myself a soccer fan who want the best for the code everywhere in the world I wish your team, and Fred all the best.

Posted by: Guido | March 30, 2007 2:44 AM | Report abuse

The difference between the MLS and the A-League on the field isnt that great, the only difference i can see is the off field areas ie. administration. Being in the U.S gives you a much much wider audience to appeal to with the population and secondly the MLS has much more financial backing than what the A-league does do therefore the MLS can afford to spend big on players.

Posted by: Down Under | March 30, 2007 4:10 AM | Report abuse

To the person who wrote the aussies are upset at you's cause phellps is doing well here at the World swimming championship...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! sorry but i found that funny!
Why would we be upset over that!?!?!
Good on the guy for doing so well...infact the whole US swim team have been doing well here at the championship, good on them!

As for the Football thing, I think the author of this blog needs to get a life!!
A signed shirt??? come on mate really!!
LMAO!!

Nothing wrong with a bit of rivalry, but there is no reason to start taking jibes at one another!

Posted by: MzVODKA | March 30, 2007 4:45 AM | Report abuse

Dear Aussies,

The shirt thing was a little joke and not at all serious, not meant to be disrespectful.

And another thing, why do you guys keep saying that the league is only 2 years old. It is as the A-League, but you guys had a pro league since 1977 (NSL), and several teams from the NSL moved to the A-League when they disbanded.

The MLS started after something like a 12 year period of no top league.

Despite all this, the A-League does seem to be growing faster than the MLS in terms of fan support and passion. You guys got a good national team and seem to be primed to be a real footballing nation real soon (unfortunately, the USA has a long way to go until pro soccer is really mainstream).

Posted by: Bob 1988 | March 30, 2007 5:42 AM | Report abuse

I agree the Australian market will probably never be as big as the US ($$$), however the NSL was never fully professional. As for the 9-11 convict jibes thats just farked anyway im sure it will happen here our government is going there best to be next. :(
Anyway good luck to Fred & football in the USandA.

Posted by: Vicbhoy | March 30, 2007 6:33 AM | Report abuse

EJ to Boca! Really?

That has to be the strangest move yet. Did MLS/KC get money for him? How much? Why?

Posted by: Southeasterne | March 30, 2007 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Dear Aussies:

The point, which has now been clouded over by all the insults thrown back and forth, is that Melbourne had a chance to do an honorable thing, and failed. There was no chance of Fred playing for Melbourne again, no doubt where he was going, and no doubt that we wanted him badly. So what Melbourne did was hold him for ransom.

We were honest and straightforward, signing Fred off the open market, and requested that Victory do the honorable thing and release him to us. They declined, simply to extract a payment. And the justification offered, that this is how all big clubs do it, is absolute rubbish.

Australia and the United States have always enjoyed a great relationship, born out of our shared experiences as colonies that eventually established our own identities. I feel that kinship when I meet Aussies, and felt it strongly as I cheered for you during your dazzling WC '06 run. But, sadly, the country that many of us respected and supported has had its soccer reputation tarnished by the Melbourne Victory. Where you could have found new fans, you now find enemies, and for what? If you want respect for the soccer you play, and the clubs and league you support, remind your owners next time that it's called the A-League, not the Bush League.

Posted by: grotus | March 30, 2007 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Viva la Fred!

Posted by: London Dan | March 30, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Steve,

Thanks for the great reporting as always. Your comments about Fred's jersey really has me perplexed about something.

Can you explore why Gomez, Emilio and now Fred all have their first initial accompanying their last name on their jerseys?

You don't see J. Moreno or J. Gross, but you do see C. Gomez, L. Emilio and now F. Carreiro. What's the story here?

Posted by: Matt | March 30, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Now that Fred is an official member of the team, who is seriously going to contend with us in MLS? I do not see any other team, maybe besides the LA Galaxy once they get Beckham to really challenge us. What we should do differently this season as opposed to last year, is play our reserves earlier in the season to give them experience, then after the all-star break, put our real starters in, and get ready for the playoffs. That way we will not have a repeat of what occured last season (domination at the beginning, lackadaisical towards the end)and be fresh for a run to the MLS Cup.

Posted by: DC United Fan | March 30, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Goffs, if the front office is adhering to a "strict" policy, then why does Fred get a first initial instead of just a last name? Is there another Carreiro on the team that I'm not aware of?

Posted by: Matt | March 30, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

OK, Grotus summed it up nicely and the flame war with Australia is over. Let's go pick a fight with Canada by signing Frankie Yallop and Pat Onstad :-)

Dear Aussies: Good luck in the Super8.

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | March 30, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

The best thing about the transfer completion, is that the Aussies will now go back to their little island and STFU.

Less Aussies = More Fun

Posted by: JSF | March 30, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

The front office told Fred he can't use "Fred" on his jersey. "F. Carreiro" was his second choice. If a player wants a first initial, that is his option -- as long as his last name is included. Essentially, no nicknames allowed.

Posted by: Goff | March 30, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"But that does not mean that we deserve jibes about getting the player by giving us a signed shirt (this was actually written by the author of this blog)"

Come on Goff, first you piss off the women's basketball fans and now the Australians!! What is next, I say its Nascar fans. :-)

Posted by: Rocko | March 30, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

can you please tell the FO who disappointed we are about the jersey, and that at least one person will not be buying one based on this. . .

Posted by: steve | March 30, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I LIKE FREE PIE AND CHIPS!

Who doesn't like free pie chips, its pie and chips for free.

Posted by: JIM R. | March 30, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else think that the GEICO gecko sound like Beckham?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 30, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Grotus:
You forgot to mention the Crocodile Dundee sequels. They should compensate us for that, too.

Posted by: Arrrlington | March 30, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why so many people on this blog are already celebrating DC's MLS Champoionship. Granted, the talent we will put on the field seems to be superior in comparison to most other clubs, but talent doesn't always win. I'd argue that we had a better team than the Revs last year, but we lost at home in the playoffs. Who's to say Gomez won't break his leg and Fred has trouble adapting? Not that I'm hoping anything like that will happen, but let's not celebrate yet. As a lifelong Washingtonian, I expect celebration in March from football fans, except it's usually from Redskins fans.

Having said all this, I'm looking forward to seeing United this year; I'm a season ticket holder, Section 230.

Posted by: CY | March 30, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Anyone that feels the Front Office is really dropping the ball with the "No Fred" Jersey issue should give the executive office a phone call: 202-587-5000
This isn't some XFL ridiculousness, this is a Brazilian tradition, and I have a feeling that announcers and reporters will still refer to him as "Fred".

Posted by: AlecW81 | March 30, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

"What will they do if Ronaldo joins the club next season?"

So here's what everyone missed with all this Australia/US back and forth...Steve has started a rumor that Ronaldo is a signing target of DC United.

And no one picked up on that...

Hmmm.

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 30, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

As the great peace negotiator Rodney King of the LA riots once said, "Why can't we all just get along?" In business as in life, you learn with experience. The USMNT and the Socceroo's are both up-and-coming in WC competition, and both much better than they were 20 years ago. The A-league has been in business for 2 years, MLS for 10, but both are still learning how to play the game on the business end of things, and will get better in time. So we shell out some cash for a transfer that we might not have had to shell out in a trade with a different league. So we take someone named "Fred" and make him put "F. Carreiro" on his jersey. It's so nice to be worrying about these things instead of whether or not all our teams are going to be back next year (with the exception of RSL because they might still find a way to screw up that bad).

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | March 30, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

If those jerks at Man U or Milan expect us to pay a fee for Ronaldo, they have another thing coming. And yes, I expect both of them to be in training camp come next February.

Posted by: Logan Circle | March 30, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Rocko, My money is on NASCAR as well. Do you think we can get Goff to put the word "redneck" in print on this blog? And I've been in Loudoun County long enough now to remember it when they were the only people living here, which really isn't saying I've been here long. Now if only we could get enough players for a pickup game once a week, and I'd settle for 5 v 5 with mini-goals.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | March 30, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Why is it that Joe-Max Moore could have his 1st name on the back of his jersey but Fred can't have the name that he is known to by everyone?

If Pele played in MLS, would his jersey have read "de Nascimento?"

Posted by: Autogolazzo | March 30, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

jesus, were we this bitter and insecure ten years ago?

you aussies are a classy bunch.

Posted by: jerad | March 30, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

What was on the back of Preki's jersey?

Posted by: j | March 30, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

dudes - Goffer already said it was a DCU front office rule, not an MLS rule, so stop comparing Fred to Joe-Max and Preki.

I'll just have to buy a jersey from the MLS site and customize it with "Fred" on the back, rather than buying one at the equipment sale, I guess.

Posted by: pat | March 30, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Ronaldo to DC? Let's start the rumor now!

Posted by: Paul | March 30, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I just want to congratulate the posters in this thread for covering every possible emotion and making this a fun to read thread. Jokes taken as serious comments, serious comments taken as jokes, and Red Bull have made this one of the better comment sections on the Soccer Insider(minus 9/11 remark). At least we can all agree NJ is a joke and RSL is well...sad. I understand some Melbourne fans may not like generally accepted practices involved in transfers, but that's sports business. I'm looking forward to seeing Ronaldo in uniform for DC(Don't tell me it's another Ronaldo).

Do not speak blaspheme in these parts, LeesburgSoccerFan.

Have any of you Aussies seen my Cane Toads? I think I lost them on a visit.

Posted by: sitruc | March 30, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The dingo ate my baby!!

Posted by: Aussy | March 30, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

It is tempting to suggest that the FO put "F Melbourne Victory" on the back of Fred's jersey after reading through this thread.

Posted by: Liverpool_SC | March 30, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

$mart business by Melbourne!
Id like to comment futher but then id probably be locked up without trial in Guantanamo Bay ;)

Posted by: Vicbhoy | March 30, 2007 7:45 PM | Report abuse

ahahahaha....mate ppl really know how to throw comments back at ya..."dingo ate my baby" LMAO!! how original!

Anyway, i'm not here to make anymore harsh comments, just found that comment to be funny oh and the one where we live on a small Island!! lol!! Ahhhh yes the life of an Islander gotta love it ;-) cane toads?? LMAO!!

Happy Football Season!

Posted by: MzVODKA | March 30, 2007 9:19 PM | Report abuse

A-league>>>>MLS

nuff said

Posted by: Melbourne Victory fan | March 31, 2007 1:05 AM | Report abuse

You silly yanks have lost the plot.What we have achieved in 2 years with now having a billionare running the sport who has changed the football landscape culture forever in this country puts you guys to shame.A country of only 20 million people with a national team every bit as good as yours, if not better and a proper footballing culture with sellout crowds and real football chants.Come to the Telstra Dome and see 50000 educated fans turn it on.I tried watching the MLS and fell asleep because the crowd was so dull.Also we are in Asia both national team and Aleague clubs which is going to make us grow even faster than you guys.Wake up and start learning what is really going on out here.Thats the problem with you clowns,your heads are in the sand and think the world revolves around you.

Posted by: kewell10 | March 31, 2007 7:57 AM | Report abuse

The moral idiocy and general politically-ignorant (at times disgusting) comments being heaped on by a few of the Aussies here are uncanny. Unless your goal is simply to emote, non-sequitur insults don't do much to support any of your arguments.

Good luck to MVFC in their upcoming season. Good luck to United against Guadalajara--I hope Fred accumulates two or three assists!

Posted by: MLS Expansion | March 31, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

You know, most of the people insulting both sides know little of each other...

I am a Yank and I love Australia...Melbourne is a great city and when I travel, I love hanging out with Aussies (pronounced Auzzies).

Yanks are good people too...we all love football and want to keep a great player...keep it to football and lay off 9/11 stuff, dingo comments, and the idea that all Americans think the world revolves around them.

It is a freakin game, people...

I hope the Victory fans will be following DC`s game against Chivas on 3 April.

And Victory, good luck to you guys in your upcoming season.

Posted by: Bill | April 1, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Im glad we held you over a barrel in regard to Fred. When you see the magic he can weave, you will surely understand what we will miss.

Posted by: Kangaroo | April 1, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Gee Grotus, Where was that background violin music to go with your email.

Posted by: another Roo | April 1, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

"Im glad we held you over a barrel in regard to Fred. When you see the magic he can weave, you will surely understand what we will miss"

I second that!!!!!

And to the guy that wrote this....

"I hope MLS does have that Pan Pacific championship with A-League teams and I hope Melbourne is there. ***k a friendly. I want blood for their b.s"

U F___KING MORON!!
We expect rivalry but thats just a F___KING idiotic comment to make!!!!

(yes some other stupid comments were made from both ends, but thats no excuse)

U want blood over a player that was clearly still contarcted till june in our league!?!?! mate any club would've done the same thing MVFC did!!!

Get a life mate be glad u got Fred and appreciate it just as we have and for what he did for the season he was with us and what he achieved for not only himself but for our club as well!!

Nuff said!

Posted by: aussie lass | April 2, 2007 8:31 AM | Report abuse

People, people, arguing on the Internet is like running at the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded. Most of the comments here were in good natured fun and jest. Since I see I'm not the only loser who visits dead threads, I thought I'd reiterate that. Now back to your rugby, Aussies and back to your baseball 'mericans.

That last comment was a failed attempt at jest.

Posted by: sitruc | April 2, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Melbourne V will kick any Yank team!!!!
uz obviously dont know Archie T, Danny & Vargas!!!!!!

Posted by: VIctoty1 | April 3, 2007 3:43 AM | Report abuse

VIctoty1, you do know the object of the game is to kick the ball right?

Posted by: sitruc | April 3, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse