Fred Mania

Greetings from the bitterly cold RFK training grounds (it's always 25 degrees colder out here on the great plains of Lot 7 than the rest of the Washington metropolitan area.) The natural grass field is being resodded so United will be working out on the artificial turf for a few days, at least.

Fred is here training with the DCU lads. His first full workout is part of a 10 v 10 cross-field exercise. His teammates are Moreno, Boswell, Gros, Casal, Simms, Walker, Wilson, Arguez and McTavish. Fred is playing in the middle of the pitch, very quick with the ball, highly skilled, smart decisions.

Still no resolution on his international transfer certificate, but Dave Kasper said moments ago that they're hoping to have it finalized by the end of the week. Regardless, Fred will travel with the club to Guadalajara on Saturday. MLS officials in NY are in talks with Melbourne. (I'm thinking DCU just sends em a box of T-shirts and an autographed photo of Ben Olsen, and get this over with!)

Forget Kpene and Arguez, the best hair on the team belongs to newly signed Kiki Willis, whose highlighted dreadlocks prompted me to put on my sunglasses. From a distance, he could be mistaken for Cobi Jones.

TV Reminder: A Bobby Boswell segment will grace Comcast SportsNet's new Washington Post Live show tonight between 5 and 6:30 p.m. Olsen is scheduled to appear Friday (I am tentatively set to join him, but travel plans could force me to withdraw.)

Rookie forward Brad North (Northwestern) has rejoined the club after recovering from a hamstring injury and worked out on the side.

It is the understanding of United officials that Omar Bravo, Chivas's dangerous forward who scored in the first leg, is suspended for Game 2. Still awaiting official confirmation from CONCACAF. From what I can tell, two yellow cards at any point in the tournament will result in suspension. So if a player gets his first in the opening game of the quarters and then another in the first leg of the finals, he's out of the last match. Ridiculous. If anyone has seen anything different, please let me know.

On second thought.......After watching a replay of the DCU-Chivas match over the weekend, I would like to amend my Olsen grade. Outrageously, I had given him a 4. I'll bump him up to a 5. Some of you thought he was man of the match; I wouldn't go that far (that miss from 12 yards late in the game was ugly), but he was much better than I initially thought. My bad....

More updates later........brrrrrrr........

By Steve Goff  |  March 19, 2007; 11:29 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Japan In, Mexico Out
Next: Ahhh, Warmth

Comments

Steve, just so you'll know that we're out there (inside, of course) reading your great stuff...

Thanks.

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 19, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Man, I am addicted to this Blog. So much news coming from the Goffer. Love it. Thanks, dude.

Posted by: Voyager | March 19, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Goff - very early speculation...but do you think Fred gets the start in Mex?

Posted by: London Dan | March 19, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Steven Goff is the Christian Gomez of reporting.

Posted by: soccer nerd | March 19, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

No word on the cheap shot by the keeper?

Watched some of the Chivas 0 - America 1 match yesterday . . . and was disturbed by the electronic billboards around field at Estadio Azteca. They're flashing lights almost gave me a seizure . . then they gave me a laugh with TROJAN "PLACER SEGURO" all around the field.

Adelante UNITED!

Posted by: dela | March 19, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"their flashing lights"

Posted by: d | March 19, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Looks like he's only been out of season for a month...does DCU consider Fred to be in 'game shape'?

Posted by: uniteo | March 19, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Is Fred still being looked at as a potential solution at right midfield? Everything I've read indicates that he's a central player, including this practice lineup (McTavish, Boswell, Wilson; Gros, Simms, Arguez, Casal; Fred; Moreno, Walker). If he can't make the move to the flank, are we going to be seeing much of him this season?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 19, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I come here daily. Way to get me hooked Goff. Think I can just put down these soccer magic bullets?

Posted by: DCAustinite | March 19, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Damn straight skippy! Bout time you amended that Olsen grade.

Woohoo a Fred sighting! MLS needs to nail down the paperwork.

Posted by: JMR | March 19, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,
I love your commentary, but you all need to give more coverage to international football. Not a single sentence about the biggest club match in the world last weekend, Real-Barca

Posted by: Robinho RM | March 19, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Goff, your blog is like electronic crack. I don't know how i'd start the day without it! Keep up the good work!

Posted by: Thanks for the info! | March 19, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Robinho - Goff made a whole blog entry titled 'Super Clasico' about the Madrid - Barca game.

Posted by: pat | March 19, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

For Barcelona-Real, not only did I give you video highlights, I provided two corny Barca cartoons!! Where else you going to find that?? ;-)

Posted by: Goff | March 19, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

excellent update Goffer. I just bought my Emilio jersey, and it looks like I need a Fred one too. What number will Fred get?

Posted by: 204 | March 19, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Fred will wear #7.

Posted by: Goff | March 19, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Keep it up Steve.

It looks like Fred will be a good addition to the midfield. I'm still concerned about the defense though. We are soft back there. Is there any move to switch to a 4 man back line?

Posted by: gomez4prez | March 19, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Great job on the blog, Steve! I'm excited to see Fred play. What's your take on his fitness. I know that A-League finished not too long ago. Can Fred go 60 minutes?...90 minutes? So, since Gomito will probably start at attacking mid, will Soehn use Fred as a starting winger or as a withdrawn forward (potentially starting in place of Moreno or coming in for Moreno in the second half)?

Posted by: Dave the Wave | March 19, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Thanks much for the update. Any sense of Fred being in pretty decent shape having finished the A-leauge not that long ago? I was thinking that it would be great if fitness wasn't too big an issue. Also, do you get the sense that Soehn, as the season goes on, views Fred as being THE guy to come in for CG? Or will Fred be too valuable to have on the bench?

Thanks again!

Posted by: Dan | March 19, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Fred is in good shape and has two weeks to get into ideal condition. Way too early to say how much he'll play or what his role will be vs. Chivas. As I've said, he's projected to start on the right side of midfield.

Posted by: Goff | March 19, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Dave. What's the deal with Moreno? Is he going to be able to keep his starting spot? Why was he so hesitant to take shots against Olympia? Why was he so out of it during the Chivas game?

Is it just the cold rainy weather? Is the newest member of the Moreno clan (still less than a year old?) keeping him up at night or is that just an EJ excuse? Will Mr. Jaime be back in form this season?

Posted by: Southeasterner | March 19, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Tx for the updates! This is the first place I look daily!

Posted by: m | March 19, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Steve: Your last comment suggests that he would be able to play the away leg. Assuming the international xfer certificate stuff gets worked out, is that definitely true? I keep hearing contradictory stuff (e.g. "he wasn't officially a member of the team the day before the home leg, when rosters were submitted, so he's not available"). It would be nice to get this cleared up once and for all.

Posted by: Bootsy Collins | March 19, 2007 7:57 PM | Report abuse

It's my understanding that any player can be added to the eligible roster within 48 hours of kickoff. Obviously, as the second leg approaches, I will seek clarification, but DCU is planning to have Fred in uniform in Guadalajara.

Posted by: Goff | March 19, 2007 8:58 PM | Report abuse

What kind of player is Fred anyway? Attacking, defensive, posession-minded, creative? If he can compliment Gomez's style and fall in step with the others, I say forget our defensive weakness! As hard as it is to dispossess Gomez already, with help it'll be impossible to take the ball from us. They'll all be singing: "Are you Brazil in disguise?" En Espanol, por supuesto.

Posted by: Grotus | March 20, 2007 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Joe: Fred and Freddy are two different people. Here are a few key differences:

Fred: hails from Brazil.
Freddy: hails from Ghana, the Brazil of Africa (or so they say).

Fred: doesn't break the bank.
Freddy: breaks the bank and the Federal Reserve.

Fred: plays on the wing.
Freddy: doesn't want to play on the wing.

Fred: unproven in MLS.