Help for Columbus?

Some of you from the Buckeye state have e-mailed me or dropped a question onto this blog about Columbus's pursuit of a Latin American midfielder. The only name I have heard is Guillermo Barros Schelotto, a 33-year-old two-way midfielder for Boca Juniors.

Does he want to play in MLS? I don't know.
Can MLS/Columbus afford him? I don't know.
Would he leave behind Boca for the U.S.? I don't know.
Is this close to actually happening? I don't know.
Are the Crew involved in talks with other MF candidates? I don't know.

As you can see, I don't have much insight into this matter. Schelotto is just a name I've heard connected to Columbus. Take it for what it's worth......

Here's his bio.

By Steve Goff  |  March 22, 2007; 2:50 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: (Goal)keeping It Real
Next: Fred? Ben. Ben? Fred.

Comments

Could they be actually looking at his brother, Gustavo Barros Schelotto ? Who also played early on in his career with Boca, but most recently played with the USL club, The Puerto Rico Islanders. Which just happens to be the same club their last South American midfielder Sebastián Rozental came from.

Posted by: Some Dude | March 22, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Saw him play with Boca against San Lorenzo and Gimnasia. He may be 34, but he still has some legs and plenty of game.

To be honest, I'm not sure why MLS teams would try and sign OLD South American players when there are quality players in the 2nd divisions (or other leagues) who are much younger and may want to make a future in the MLS.

Posted by: the cheat | March 22, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I think his contract is up in June (along with Martin Palermo btw) so I guess it is in the realm of possibility but I doubt it. Sounded like Maradonna was keen on Boca keeping him or rather that Boca wasnt respecting him as much as they should -- he wasnt in the first 11 for the Toluca match last week which Boca lost.

I know DC was rumored to be looking at Palermo earlier in the year. He might stay at the chocolate box if he keeps pumping in three and four goals a game.

Posted by: Masked Norteno | March 22, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

You're the man Steve Goff.

Posted by: Matt | March 22, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Guillermo Barros Schelotto is undoubtedly talented, but is also a headcase. He constantly picks up stupid yellow cards and can't stand other players touching him. He may, in fact, be the most petulant player I've ever seen (and in professional soccer today, that's saying something).

Posted by: David Keyes | March 22, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Steven Goff is a legend of our time.

Posted by: Shaft | March 22, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Guillermo is the guy they're considering, not Gustavo.

Posted by: Goff | March 22, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Guillermo Barros Schelotto is a Boca legend in large part because his unwillingness to leave the Xeneizes for a payday in Europe. This begs the question: why would he leave for Columbus of all places?!?!?!

Posted by: Nic | March 22, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Columbus is the Milan of America.

Posted by: Shane | March 22, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Money and, the chance to live in the USA. Don't laugh: It's a big issue for a lot of foreign players.

Posted by: Goff | March 22, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Guilleeeeermo, Guilleeeermo!!! This would be pretty sick. He's petulant, but not as petulant as Blanco. He's also a winner and scores big goals. He and Palermo are very close, so maybe they are both considering a move?? My only concern is that he goes crazy with the officiating in Argentina, so I fear for how he'll react to officiating over here. Also, he is a great player when he has good players around him, but has never been a feature player (he could never hold down the #10 by himself in Boca despite many opportunities, including this winter). Does Columbus have anything to complement him?? I applaud the move if it happens but i think Guille's greatness will be wasted in Columbus because there is just not enough fire power there. For DC, however, he would be a tremendous addition because we already have great forwards and midfielders. Nonetheless, let's hope it happens only so we can haggle him mercilessly when he comes to RFK...

Posted by: Nick | March 22, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Btw, after La Volpe stepped down from Boca in December, it was rumored that Boca's president Macri interviewed Guillermo for the head coaching position...

Posted by: Nick | March 22, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Steven Goff is a legend, but it still saddens me Crew fans have to turn to a man from DC for our club news. come on columbus! oh and one more comment - AY ZIGGY ZOOMBA! Let's go BG!

Posted by: brian | March 22, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse

thanks for clearing up these issues...

;)

Posted by: JSF | March 23, 2007 5:32 AM | Report abuse

Guillermo petulant? Well, let me think... he is one of most succesfull player around the world, here are his titles:
Gimnasia y Esgrima:

Copa Sudamericana 2004
Recopa Sudamericana 2005
Torneo Apertura 2005
Copa Sudamericana 2005
Torneo Clausura 2006
Recopa Sudamericana 2006

Golden Medal in Panamerican Games (Juegos Panamericanos) sub-23 with national team in 1995.

Besides, is Boca's top scorer in international matches with 25 goals. With half this career, I would -and you too- double his petulance... :)

Certainly he is old as player, but has much to give to any club. Think he's an idol in Boca Juniors, world's most winner club at international tournaments... He's a very charismatic player, many times he entered during a game and turned the tide.
So it'll be glorius for you if El Guille decides to move from Boca...
Combined with a powerful centerforward (and good header)- somebody as Palermo, Lucho Figueroa, Carlos Tevez, etc-, he would bring any team a very strong forward line.

Posted by: Lucas - BA, Arg | April 4, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I've seen Guillermo play lots of times and in huge games. He's very, very good. His teammates will learn tons from watching him play. No sexy stuff. Instead he possesses rock solid fundamentals and loads of experience that most MLS players would kill to have right now. I cannot say enough about him -- except, he'll never learn English.

Posted by: Chris, Philadelphia | April 10, 2007 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Chris, Guillermo is the most educated player of South America, he will have no trouble in learning english. trust me.

Posted by: Juan | April 10, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse