In Residency

With the Women's World Cup just over five months away in China, the U.S. national team's full-time residency camp will open this weekend at Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. This will serve as the Americans' base of operations through the summer, during which they will play eight home friendlies throughout the country. Some players will also come and go on trial, but this is essentially Coach Greg Ryan's player pool before selecting his final 20-player World Cup roster [correction: 21 players, of which three must be goalies]. The first tuneup is April 14 vs. Mexico in Foxborough, Mass.

GOALKEEPERS (5): Nicole Barnhart (Gilbertsville, Pa.), Jenni Branam (Placentia, Calif.), Kristin Luckenbill (Paoli, Pa.), Briana Scurry (Dayton, Minn.), Hope Solo (Richland, Wash.);
DEFENDERS (11): Rachel Buehler* (Del Mar, Calif.), Lori Chalupny (St. Louis, Mo.), Keeley Dowling (Carmel, Ind.), Tina Ellertson (Vancouver, Wash.), Amy LePeilbet (Crystal Lake, Ill.), Stephanie Lopez* (Elk Grove, Calif.), Kate Markgraf (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.), Heather Mitts (Cincinnati, Ohio), Christie Rampone (Point Pleasant, N.J.), India Trotter (Plantation, Fla.), Cat Whitehill (Birmingham, Ala.);
MIDFIELDERS (7): Shannon Boxx (Redondo Beach, Calif.), Angela Hucles (Virginia Beach, Va.), Carli Lloyd (Delran, N.J.), Joanna Lohman (Silver Spring, Md.), Marci Jobson (St. Charles, Ill.), Leslie Osborne (Brookfield, Wis.), Aly Wagner (San Jose, Calif.);
FORWARDS (9): Danesha Adams* (Shaker Heights, Ohio), Lauren Cheney* (Indianapolis, Ind.), Natasha Kai (Kahuku, Hawaii), Kristine Lilly (Wilton, Conn.), Kelley O'Hara* (Fayetteville, Ga.), Heather O'Reilly (East Brunswick, N.J.), Lindsay Tarpley (Kalamazoo, Mich.), Abby Wambach (Rochester, N.Y.), Kacey White (Arlington, Tex.).

*college player

By Steve Goff  |  March 30, 2007; 9:17 AM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred, Finally
Next: United News and Notes

Comments

Thanks for the update Steve.

When is the deadline for the final roster and how many players are allowed?

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | March 30, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

What I find interesting is the numbers of defenders (11) and forwards (9). But not that many midfielders (7).

For a 20 player roster, you figure:
3- GK
6/7- Defenders
6/7- Midfielders
4- Forwards

Of course, several players can play midfield/defense or forward/midfield. But that invite list indicates that defense and forward spots are up for grabs, and maybe one or two midfield spots.

Posted by: Kim | March 30, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

The last few competitions have seen Greg Ryan take 5 or 6 midfielders (of the last 3, 6 twice and 5 once).

With Lori Chalupny stepping up at times in the midfield, I don't think he's taking any more than 6, and he has already a pretty solid and steady group to draw from which is in my opinion why there aren't that many in camp.

Wagner, Boxx, Lloyd, and Osborne are locks, and Hucles, Lohmann, and Jobson are left to fight over the last 1 or 2 spots.

Posted by: I-66 | March 30, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Are there any games in this area?

Posted by: Hacksaw | March 30, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

What ever happened to A-Rod, Amy Rodriquez? I thought she was going to be the next Mia.

Posted by: gunners4lif | March 30, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Just a local note -- Joanna Lohman was an All-Met at Springbrook High in the fall of '99.

Posted by: Goff's Editor | March 30, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Rodriguez is on the U-21 WNT, and was last seen on 3/18/07 scoring a goal against Leeds Ladies in England as part of a 3-match tour.

I think a player like Casey Nogueira is a more surprising omission than Rodriguez, considering Rodriguez hasn't really been on the radar for the full national team recently.

Posted by: I-66 | March 30, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

No matches in the DC area. The closest we might get is if some of the USWNT players are "loaned" to the Freedom to get more minutes.

In fact, no events on the USSF calendar are planned for DC. What sucks is that San Jose, which can't keep its MLS team, gets a friendly (MNT v China) in that god-awful Spartan Stadium. Even Cleveland gets a game (WNT v China).

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | March 30, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

You can blame the lack of local MNT/WNT games on one thing: The NATS. If it wasn't for this sorry excuse for an MLB team and their need to tear up RFK and turn it into a baseball diamond than there would be plenty of opportunities for MNT/WNT games here in the area. Thanks alot Montreal Expos. Go Orioles!!!

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | March 30, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I concur with Chief Wiggum on RFK being the reason. No-one wants the percieved risk injury by playing on an infield (not that any DC players have been affected). FedEx may only be an option for the huge crowds that watch the Euroteams' summer tour.

I wouldn't blame the Nationals though, they and RFK management are in business to make money and baseball fills that need more than soccer.

The ones to blame are the DC City Council and the Federal Government for not moving faster on the Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | March 30, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I think Chief Wiggum's being a little harsh about RFK and the field.

The big driver in not booking soccer events is available dates. The Nats play a boatload of games, and United manages to shoehorn itself where it can. I think its very difficult to find any dates that are not occupied by events or transition of the stadium.

And don't suggest doubleheader soccer matches, those stink.

Posted by: Kim | March 30, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

My bad: the women's rosters will be 21 this year, an increase of one. (three slots must be goalies) I will update the main item above now.

Posted by: Goff | March 30, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Revelation. I don't want to derail this whole thread, but I just realized how HOT Heather Mitts is. I mean ... just wow.

Posted by: Matt | March 30, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | March 30, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice to get some type of NT match somewhere remotely close to this area(NJ and Mass don't count). Couldn't they at least do something in Virginia Beach again since who's using that place....

Posted by: sitruc | March 30, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse