Japan In, Mexico Out

Japan earns the 15th berth in the 16-team Women's World Cup later this year by defeating Mexico in a special two-game playoff. Oceania is the only remaining berth to be decided.

By Steve Goff  |  March 18, 2007; 6:00 PM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Revolution Revolt
Next: Fred Mania

Comments

Is this the Mexico WNT with a number of American players who would rather represent Mexico? If so, then it's a well deserved loss. I'm no fan of multiple eligibilites and players chasing glory.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 18, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Mexico, Chivas and America are playing on Univision right now (10:30pm Sunday). Chivas doesn't look very good...

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 18, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

OK, they looked pretty good. Two awesome saves by the Club America keeper and a questionable non-penalty call in injury time kept them scoreless. But pretty sloppy overall.

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 18, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I-270, really ignorant comment. 1. The USA has tons of great players and it is very difficult to even get a call up to train let alone get capped. 2. I am Irish-American and if my daughter wants to represent Ireland I'll be proud. I'm guessing she'd try for the USA first but many very talented women don't make the team. oh by the way my wife is a dual citizen of USA and Mexico so you just might see my daughter in a Mexico jersey one day. I'm sure she'd be very proud to represent her "second" country even though she's also proud American. We are a country of immigrants, get over it.

Posted by: Matt y | March 19, 2007 4:15 AM | Report abuse

Agreed.

Posted by: Goff | March 19, 2007 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Ignorant? Fervent, definitely; zealous, probably; fanatical, possibly. But ignorant?

The World Cup and the Olympics should be about representing your country, not trying to grab personal glory by playing for whichever country that lets you (Merlene Ottey representing Slovenia, how bizarre is that?)

Yes, we are a nation of immigrants. However, I have a big problem with Americans who pledge their loyalties to ancestral lands from which they are generations removed.

By the way Matt, I AM an immigrant. My opinion is based on life in two countries and heritage from four. However, I always support the US because THIS is my chosen home. Now, how is that ignorant?

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | March 19, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Tom Dooley and Earnie Stewart say 'Hi'

Posted by: Kim | March 19, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

David Regis.

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | March 19, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Most mexican-americans(these girls typically are...born here with parents or grandparents directly from Mexico) I know are proud to be Americans, and also proud to from Mexico.
Mexicans are very patriotic...much more so than many other countries (Americans and Canadians are two i can already think of) so this attitude rubs off on their children.
I don't see how you can slam any woman player for representing another country when their primary country wasn't interested. Especially when their secondary country is a big part of their upbringing.
Women have very few competitive playing options once they finish college. So..you can call them mercenaries...but if I was in their place I'd look for any way to play competitive football. You can't compare them to men when it comes to playing for "other" national teams.
Plus...how can you be happy that a Concacef team didn't make the world cup? We should root for our neighbors....even if you don't like them...

Posted by: Matt Y | March 19, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Matt: You need to read and understand my argument before you throw around terms like "ignorant," "mercenaries," and "slam any woman."

My point is predicated on loyalty, not gender, and definitely not money. There is no money in women's soccer unless you're recognizable enough to endorse gatorade.

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | March 19, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

i wasn't talking about money...only the pursuit of playing competitive football.

you are still stuck in comparing the men and women on the same page.

Apples and Oranges...

Posted by: Matt Y | March 20, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Y'all are missing the point. We should be upset that Japan can field a team that can beat what is essentially the US B team (South). I don't have a problem with American women playing for other countries. Look at all of the Brazilian men that are playing for Japan, etc.

Posted by: crewfan scott | March 22, 2007 8:26 AM | Report abuse