Meanwhile, in England...

A few clips to share from Monday's FA Cup quarterfinal replays........

Lampard gets attacked and Ronaldo draws a penalty. Was it the correct call? You decide. I don't have a huge problem with it, although the sneaky Portuguese star sold it pretty well. Also, at the end of the Man U clip, enjoy the strange jingle starring Fergie, Wenger and Henry.

By Steve Goff  |  March 20, 2007; 9:05 AM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Preparations
Next: United Revisited

Comments

At first I thought it was a total dive. It looked like he was throwing himself to the ground before any contact, but on the replay it appears that the defender caught his trailing foot. He's just such a sneaky cheat that I automatically figure it's an act until proven otherwise. I don't blame the 'Boro guys for being upset. Ultimately it looks like the right call.

Posted by: Glenn | March 20, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Right call on the penalty, wrong call giving the card.

Posted by: Voyager | March 20, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I think the call was correct, but there is also no doubt he was looking for a place to land while he made his run. He also, IMHO, dragged his right leg to maximize the contact. Unfortunately, this is what the better players in the game do routinely.

All good offensive players have 3 options when they get into the box:
1. Can I get a clear shot?
2. Do I have a clear pass?
3. Where can I fall down?

Some players reverse the order of 2 and 3 and deservedly earn the scorn of the opposition and it's fans. The supporters of course call it "smart football".

Posted by: JkR | March 20, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Clear pk. I don't think he dragged his foot at all. His heel hits Woodgate forcing his toe into the ground causing the fall. Itlooks as if he may have dragged it but he was already going down from the contact. Not a dive at all. He'd already beat the defender and was looking to score, maybe even meg the keep.

Posted by: delan | March 20, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

If you come in with an awkward challenge, sometimes a call goes against you.

Posted by: jj | March 20, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

While it pains me to admit as a Spurs supporter, you (fairly) take away from the two wonderful strikes from Chelsea last night and place them in the shadow of the Lampard incident.

Not that the incident wasn't serious, but the two strikes were brilliant, and deserve to be spoken about as well this terrible morning.

Freaking Chelsea.

Posted by: kyle | March 20, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Freaking Chelsea.

Posted by: kyle | March 20, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Clearly not a penalty. He's a cheat. No other way to look at it. And Wayne Rooney celebrating with him?! He really is the dumbest football player on the planet, as some have claimed. Think back, Wayne...he cheated you and England, too. How the Mancs can cheer for that Show Pony "Ronaldo" is beyond me. Good to see Morrison have a go at him at the end of the game. Little harder next time, lad.

As for the Tottenham "fan," just like his team, choked at the moment of truth. A swing and a miss. Bet he had lasagna for his pre-match meal. His punishment should be to keep his ticket and watch Tottenham year in and out win nothing and go nowhere.

Nice video at the end. Expert production. The Henry and Arsenal bit is funny considering they did the double on Manure this year and Henry hit the winner at the death at the Emirates Stadium. Shame he doesn't score in big games, eh?

Posted by: Ronaldo the Cheat | March 20, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

C. Ronaldo has to be my all team most hated player of the game ever because of his histrionics. Unfortunately, that was a call that had to be made because the challenge was so poor, not because it was a believable dive. He was clearly taken out.

Now a question to the more knowledgeable. Is the PK stutter-step forbiddance a USSF rule, or a FIFA law?

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | March 20, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

JkR, some players reverse the order of 3 and 1 ... that's the biggest problem.

But in this case, I gotta second jj ... tough shot from a bad angle ... let him take the shot. Don't dive in like that in the box against a football darling like CR. You just gotta know you're gonna get burned on that deal.

Posted by: Matt | March 20, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I think diving should be penalized by not having it count when it's actually for real. By that measure, CR can be hacked down in the bx any day of the week for a long time to come.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 20, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Re: Ronaldo the Cheat

Rooney cheated himself and England w/his stomp. C Ronaldo is no show pony; he's the best player in the world right now. That was a penalty.

You show about as much class as the Spurs fan (and CR in the World Cup) by saying it was good to see Morrison have a go at CR.

Posted by: Andrew | March 20, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

What bothers me is that Ronaldo is so good he should never have to dive. Also, he seems much better this year then even in the WC last summer. PK was deserved. Contact was made. Trailing leg argument is kind of silly. CR uses his quickness to get into the box, blows by defender and this is what your left with. Let him try to shoot or pass. Don't foul him. A bit more composure was needed from Spurs defense.

As to the "attack" on Lampard. How did the security allow the guy to get that far?

Schiva's goal against Spurs was crazy good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D28lD9lF3QU&mode=related&search=

Cheers Steve!

Posted by: Dan | March 20, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

See, that's what makes it all the more maddening. C. Ronaldo is a great player. And he would be an even greater player without all the diving and hystrionics. But he has so tarnished himself with his cheating that it is impossible for many people, myself included, to call him "the best player in teh world"

Posted by: Glenn | March 20, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

He's a no class peacock. He's really good, and a peacock. He'll forever be marginalized and labelled because he shows no respect for the game, repeatedly. I'm sorry but when you cheat enough times it forever tarnishes your reputation and clouds judgement when you are fouled because how are we to know you're not faking it?

Posted by: DCAustinite | March 20, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Have to agree with the others- C. Ronaldo could be a world-class player, but I swear that he practices for matches at his local swimming pool... Definitely a dive... And a pity, really, because when he is on, like he was a number of times at the World Cup, he is impressive to watch.

Posted by: Castor | March 20, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Just go back and watch the Holland Portugal match from WC '06 if you need to be reminded what a miserable little tw@t this kid is. I'd like to eat some lasagne, run onto the pitch, and punch him in the face. Oh, I'd foul him alright. This one wouldn't be a dive.

Posted by: KNVB Forever | March 20, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I just wish they'd actually call the rules and punish those lame stutter-steps before they shoot. Penalties are already hard enough for the goalie, they shouldn't give them an unfair, illegal advantage.

Posted by: Wish | March 20, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

A stutter step is allowed. But you aren't allowed to stop altogether which he seemed to do in this case. The refs in the EPL just don't seem to care or don't have the cajones to call the PK back. I bet he'd never get away with that in the Bundesliga.

Posted by: Glenn | March 20, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who think it was a dive, which video were you watching? He was obviously taken out. He has made dives in his time, but any person here who has ever actually played the sport knows that running at full speed and getting even a slight clip can throw off your balance and trip you. Now add to that the fact that CR is going at ridiculous speeds, its even harder not to go to ground when hit. How many people, on current form mind you, can say they are in CR's class? Not many.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 20, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

This is why I can't stand English fans. Rooney is an idiot and got red carded because he's well..an idiot.

totally clear penalty for two reasons... Woodgate made a very risky challenge and he did clip Ronaldo.

What Woodgate was thinking..who knows but he's an English national team player and they are known for their dumb mistakes.

When will England get over themselves? Stop blaming everyone else for your failures and look in the mirror. The English national team isn't nearly as good as everyone pumps them up to be.

They have very little creativity and few forward options. A solid defense...with no creativity and no world class strikers= the USA.... So...English fans...you are a rich man's USA...get over it and realize your place.

Ronaldo is awesome...I love watching him play. He's always taking players on at full speed so even a tap from a defender sends him flying...plus he knows that he can't be stopped anyway.

My question for the dumb English defenders is when will they learn to defend him better...guess they are used to going agains average English attackers and can't handle him.

Posted by: Matt Y | March 20, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

i was hoping the video would show more of the classic English crap were the Middlesborough wanker tried to end Ronaldo's career.

Total crap...I hope that guy gets a long suspension and a beating from a Man U defender in their next match...

Posted by: Matt Y | March 20, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Glory, glory Man Uniiiiiiited!
Glory, glory Man Uniiiiiiited!

Ronaldo was clearly clipped by Woodgate who didn't need to do so when Ronaldo had such a bad angle of attack on goal. Thanks to Woodgate Man U are thru to the next round.

Posted by: Madchester | March 20, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Of course it was a penalty. Anyone else, we wouldn't even be talking about it. I'm not saying Ronaldo doesn't go down easily. But not this time.

Morrison's two-footed tackle was classless, and he fully deserved his red card.

Rooney standing up for Ronaldo then was ironic. It was, of course, the same corner where he tackled Ronaldo the same way, a few years ago.

Rooney has put the so-called Ronaldo incident this summer behind him. They're teammates now. That's all that matters.

Sheva's goal was sublime. Very nice.

Posted by: Deanna | March 20, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matt Y | March 20, 2007 04:07 PM

"English fans are jealous of Ronaldo because in the history of English football you've never had a player even close to his style/ability."

How old are you? 15? When did you start watching English football? Yesterday?

Google these, lad, then get back to me. Eric Cantona, Denis Law, George Best, Gianfranco Zola, Ruud Guillit, Glenn Hoddle, Gazza, Thiery Henry, Bobby Charlton, Ian Rush, Kevin Keegan. These men have all won some sort of European trophy. The Peacock has won nothing.

Posted by: Learn a Lesson, laddie | March 20, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Matt Y was referring to English footballers of English descent, not those playing in the EPL.

Either way, the call was correct on Ronaldo, although I hate the fact that he dives on a regular basis; otherwise, we're not having this debate. He's a fantastic player, but he's degraded himself by deservedly earning this reputation. There is no reason for him to drop to the ground, and this is why he (hopefully) will never win world footballer of the year.

And I agree with Deanna, it's nice to see that Rooney has put the WC incident behind him; teammates should support one another despite past history.

Posted by: CY | March 20, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

CY, I wasn't condoning Rooney doing what he did. I think it's incredibly stupid for him to start something the way he tried to do, especially when he was already booked. He's lucky not to have been sent off. That's all United need now, another striker out, especially at such a critical part of the season.

Posted by: Deanna | March 20, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Deanna,

I'm not condoning his actions either, but as a life-long soccer player I think it's important that teammates stand up for each other. Rooney is an idiot, but at least he stands up for those wearing the same shirt as him, even if it is a player he "hated" not too long ago.

Posted by: CY | March 20, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it was a dive, but he certainly didn't do anything to mitigate his fall.

Why don't they make it that if you dive in the penalty box, the other team gets a penalty shot?

Posted by: CM | March 20, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

CY, I agree. I've always stood up for my teammates too.

Posted by: Deanna | March 20, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Ronaldo was fouled. It was worth a PK. I didn't like the run-up for the PK.

I'm not sure I can say what I think of Rooney here. Too often the hothead is a waste of talent and space. His job is to finish. I always want to like ManU, but he ruins it for me. He should have been sent off in that match.

Posted by: sitruc | March 20, 2007 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Rooney and England vs. Ronaldo at the world cup did it for me. I haven't supported Man U since, even though it's tough not to root for an american owned team.....

Posted by: Matt Y | March 20, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Can't stand CR, there's something extra galling about a player with his talent being such a diver. However, in this case he was fouled and it deserves the PK. Really bad decision by the defender.

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 20, 2007 11:03 PM | Report abuse

MattY, do you stop supporting the Redskins (or whatever team you support) because you don't like one of the players? That just doesn't compute for me. I support Manchester United. I don't like that they're American owned (although I owned a little of their stock before Glazer came in, and I'm American). That's not really the point though. For me, either you're a fan, or you can go support Arse(nal) -- or Dallas, or whoever else strikes your fancy today.

I don't like Ronaldo's simulation, and I don't know a United fan who does. Ronaldo and Rooney are two of the most exciting players in the world, and I think that even Liverpool or City fans could see that, when they look at it objectively. Same as I can appreciate Steven Gerrard or Aaron Lennon, even though they don't wear the Man Utd shirt.

I support the club. I know about the Busby Babes, although I'm too young to have experienced it. I know about George Best, and Eric Cantona, and Peter Schmeichel (who has a name I can't spell), and Bobby Charlton and Roy Keane.

That's how it is for me. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Posted by: Deanna | March 21, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Ronaldo has found a loophole in the diving clause. During the World Cup and towards the beginning of the current EPL season, he'd just fall. Now he intentionally drags his leg to initiate contact, then falls. It's a loophole. No reasonable viewer can see that play and say the Ronaldo didn't adjust his gait to draw the contact. The same play is smart when you're in the midfield struggling to retain possession. But in the box, it's dishonest, cheap, dispicable, etc. So yes, contact was made...therefore it's a penalty. Once or twice a season it is acceptable, but Ronaldo should be ashamed falling in the box EVERY game (and getting the call practically every other game).

Posted by: Eric Mondero | March 21, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse