Moreno to Venezuela?

Jaime Moreno's name has been mentioned for possible inclusion on Bolivia's Copa America roster this summer in Venezuela, despite the fact that he has not represented his country in several years. How long has Moreno been in Bolivia's player pool? Consider this: At age 20, he made the 1994 World Cup squad and played a combined 69 minutes in two first-round matches. That was almost 13 years ago!

DCU technical director Dave Kasper told me that he thinks Moreno being called up is a "possibility." Bolivia will face Venezuela June 26, Uruguay June 30 and Peru July 3. In the event they do not advance -- and chances are, based on performances the last few years, they won't -- Moreno would probably miss only three United matches: June 23 at RSL, June 28 vs. Colorado and July 4 at Kansas City. He might also be summoned for a May 26 friendly vs. Ireland at Foxborough -- the same day DCU hosts Houston (DCU and Bolivia would have to negotiate a deal, I suppose).

This is another reason the acquisition of Fred was so important. Although he is projected to play on the right side of midfield, the Brazilian is perhaps most comfortable as a withdrawn forward (Moreno's position) or central midfielder. If Moreno is gone, Fred would likely pair with Emilio up top and Soehn would have the option of using Olsen, Casal, Moose or Dyachenko out wide.

Anyone remember the last time Moreno actually played for Bolivia?

By Steve Goff  |  March 31, 2007; 10:06 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stadium? What Stadium?
Next: Time of the Season

Comments

I am sure Jaime can develop back spasms sometime in mid-June, that will only allow him to come on as a sub for United. Where is Rick Guter when we really need him...

Posted by: Henchlow | March 31, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

negotiate a deal... would bolivia pay united?

man, i must be naive. i always thought the club just let the player go play for their country if it wasn't an important stretch of the season.

Posted by: mr ed | March 31, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"negociate a deal"

I don't think the same rules apply for a friendly.

Posted by: CY | March 31, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

why hasn't he been called up in the span of those 13 years. or has he

Posted by: shaj | March 31, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Moreno was called up for a WCQ game against Colombia in November 05. It was the same time as a DCU playoff game and Moreno ended up staying with the team.

He had not suited up since 2000, I believe.

Bolivia should have called him during his re-emergence with Bolivia. WCQ for Bolivia starts later this year, but clearly there are better options. Bolivia recently beat South African in Jo'burg last week in a friendly 1-0.

Posted by: eduardo | March 31, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update!

Posted by: Goff | March 31, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

No kidding about Guter...our boys were handled so much better by him. Unfortunately for Rick, he's back with Arena at NY Red Balls.

Posted by: London Dan | March 31, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone from the Bolivian national team WATCHED Moreno play this Spring?

If the answer's Yes, and they still want him, they must REALLY suck.

Posted by: Rockville | March 31, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"...our boys were handled so much better by him."

Based on what? Is Guter ranked higher in the trainers rotisserie fantasy league?

Guter, Goodstein, et al are all very good at what they do.

Posted by: Goff | March 31, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the Bolivian's have a great plan.

Let a guy's prime years pass him by without a call up and then grab him when he's just a touch slower and a touch heavier.

Do they know that Marco Etcheverry is still kicking it now and again at Dulles Sportsplex? They might want him too.

Posted by: delant | March 31, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

""trainers rotisserie fantasy league?""

That's funny Goffinho.

Posted by: delant | March 31, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I just heard that you're going to announce either Sunday/Monday that you're going to work in NY. Which paper?

Thanks for all of your hard work. You'll be missed.

Posted by: JSF | March 31, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Yup. See ya...

Posted by: Goff | March 31, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

What, Arena got you too?
Is nothing sacred? ;)

Is this just a day early?

Posted by: Lonnie | March 31, 2007 9:07 PM | Report abuse

that's a joke, right?

Posted by: huh??? | March 31, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

"Yup. See ya..."

That's what we get?

I swear on Dan Steinberg's fedora that this better be a joke.

Posted by: Kim | March 31, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

April Fools? please...

Posted by: m | March 31, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

;-)

Posted by: Goff | March 31, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember when Jamie last played for Bolivia, but I do rememebr when I first saw him. It was US v. Bolivia at RFK. Someone remind me...was it a friendly WC '94 warm up? Regardless, I remember him getting the ball at midfield and literally blowing past Jeff Agoos on his way to score. It was the most unbeliveable display of pure speed I've ever seen. When United got him a few years later, I knew he would be a superstar for us.

Posted by: ABitOffsides | April 1, 2007 2:06 AM | Report abuse

Offsides, I think the game you're remembering was part of the 1996 US Cup - June 12th, to be exact. I hadn't even sat down yet when Jaime absolutely torched Agoos on the right side. Soon after, he was in the black and red, as he played his first match for DC on August 7th. He went on to play in 9 matches for us that year, scoring scoring 3 goals and assisting on 3 others.

Posted by: jpeace121 | April 1, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Moreno might be good for 45 minutes off the bench and as a good influence for young strikers.

Is MLS or USSF making money off of all these third-party, international friendlies in the US? Someone is.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 1, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Jaime. He deserves to go and shoul dbe supported by the team et. al. for any and all matches.

Re: Guter. Wasn't he sacked by Ray when it seemed like no one was healthy or getting better during 2001 or 2002? Also, what happened in columbus last year? I have no clue whether their injury woes (5 goalies in one year?) were attributable to the team physio. Just seems like his teams haven't been very healthy (recently) after working so well for United in the late 90's.

Posted by: jeff | April 1, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Another rumor, Zidane to LA, on CNN/SI's Truth and Rumors. Let's start a rumor that LAlas wants to sign Figo and Macca too.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 1, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I remember when Jaime played for Bolivia...he has a great backside, although it's harder and harder to see the longer you run after him!

Posted by: jeff agoos | April 1, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Goffinho, any insight into the rumors (from tribalfootball.com via CNNSI) that Adidas and MLS are talking about Zidane joining the Galaxy?

Posted by: jpeace121 | April 1, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Getting sacked by someone like Hudson is hardly a negative mark on your career.

Posted by: Kim | April 1, 2007 6:43 PM | Report abuse

In the 1996 US-Bolivia game, the US had a corner at the north end of RFK, kicking from the northwest side to the southwest corner, toward where LaNorte is. The corner failed and was headed (probably) out and Jaime picked it up. The only defender in the area was Agoos, who didn't have a prayer of catching him. It wasn't at mid-field; it was at the 18. Jaime tore down the 80 percent of the field with poor Agoos trying to catch him, and beat the keeper one on one (I don't remember who it was).

I was sitting on the "quiet side" and had perfect seats to see it develop. I went, at least temporarily, into clinical depression. I recovered when, a few days later, lo and behold, the KP and the Bruce had secured Jaime for DC United.

Posted by: Dave | April 1, 2007 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I remember Moreno's shot all too well, for some inexplicable reason: after torching Goose (who I love), he megged -- yes, megged -- Brad Friedel at the near post. An incredible goal, and Bruce certainly took notice.

Moreno has been great for DC, and if he's healthy this season, it could be one of his best yet. Teams are going to be so busy with Gomez, Emilio and Fred, Moreno will cause havoc.

Posted by: Joe Doc | April 1, 2007 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the refresher folks. It was, despite the fact that I didn't rememeber the exact details, still incredibly vivid in my head.

One of the things I love about Jamie is that, as he's gotten older and lost a fair amount of that blazing speed, he's developed other skills to make up for it.

All that said, I think if I were him I'd tell Boliva to flake off if they tried to call him up after being ignored for far too long.

Posted by: ABitOffsides | April 2, 2007 1:15 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Jaime get the call-up and score a couple of goals to show those guys what they missed out on the past 13 years. Fools.

Posted by: Joe S. | April 2, 2007 4:28 AM | Report abuse

At least we didn't get Blanco.

Posted by: RK | April 2, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Please rephrase that headline. I almost choked on my coffee when I thought that Moreno might be leaving United to go to Venezuela. Very traumatic, you playing with our minds like that..

Posted by: Drew | April 2, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Last year in columbus they went through 5 goalkeepers. One was hurt in a post season camp the previous year(2 ruptured discs) that he never recoverd from, one broke his thumb when he was hit ball a ball in warm ups, one broke his thumb trying to catch a ball in practice, and one tore his ACL that was the same one he tore the previous year and was repaired with a cadaver graft. Any of those preventable?

Posted by: dc trainer | April 11, 2007 6:56 PM | Report abuse