New Wembley Unveiling

[UPDATE] They're off to a crackling start!

The new Wembley, which will host its first soccer match Saturday with the England and Italy under-21s facing each other, is certainly a lot different from the old Wembley.

For photos and a virtual tour, check this out.

Here are some facts and stats, and a timeline as well.

I made it to the old Wembley twice: for an England friendly against Saudi Arabia before the 1998 World Cup and the same week for the third division playoff between Colchester and Torquay.

Feel free to share your old Wembley memories and new Wembley thoughts in the comments section below.

By Steve Goff  |  March 23, 2007; 11:10 AM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Answering the Call
Next: Uniformity

Comments

Steve,

You are so cruel. Why do you torture us with photos of a magnificent new stadium, when we are destined to watch our United play on an infield while chunks of concrete fall on our heads. Elsewhere in MLS, teams that boast of empty trophy cases have gleaming new facilities or at least holes in the ground.

Oh the agony.

Nice arch though.

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | March 23, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

The Old Wembley was such an immense dump, but it really was an important stadium. I was glad to get to the old Wembley for an England-Cameroon friendly before France 98. Paul Scholes and Robbie Fowler scored, and it was Rio Ferdinand's debut.

Posted by: Kev | March 23, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

not a big fan of the arch thingy. it creates a bad shadow for tv. otherwise it's a beaut.

Posted by: l st | March 23, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Atleast someone is getting a new stadium *ahem* Washington DC.

Posted by: Booger McFarlen | March 23, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I went to wembley once in 1988 for the FA cup final between Liverpool and Wimbledon. Lady Diana was there to present the trophy to the winners. Wimbledon won 1-0, and Liverpool missed a PK near the end. We sat in the seats around midfield, and I just remember Liverpool's sea of behind one goal, and a smatering of blue wimbledon supporters trying to keep up behind the other goal.

The stadium looks pretty amazing. Fitting for a national team.

Posted by: Hacksaw | March 23, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Couple of shirt sponsorship deals announced -- LA Gals + Herbalife (with a sinfully hideous jersey mockup), and now Toronto + Bank of Montreal (the irony...). This is an old question, but does this portent anything on the DCU front? Hopefully with adidas?

Posted by: iammrben | March 23, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"portend," not "portent"

Posted by: iammrben | March 23, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Soccer Insider again featured in SI.coms soccer truth/rumor section. Go Goff!

Fred will be on United's flight to Guadalajara on Saturday. Once the deal is finalized and the Aussies sign the international transfer certificate, he will be eligible to play vs. Chivas on April 3.
-- Washington Post

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | March 23, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the head's up on SI!

Shirt sponsorship for DCU...I'm guessing, when it finally happens, it will be a prominent locally based or nationally recognized non-sports business. Just a hunch...

Posted by: Goff | March 23, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

any Insider details about the LA and Toronto deals?

Posted by: l st | March 23, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Sports clothing manufacturers do not normally become shirt sponsors. Adidas branding is all over the shirt, why would they spend more money to get their name on it?

Although it is the wild, wacky MLS - so you never know.

Posted by: Kev | March 23, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Goff-

Thanks for all the updates!! Truly class.
I do have one question, Does United have any plans on playing the Harrisburg City Islanders this year? If so, when?

Posted by: Kozy | March 23, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

ouch - some tough comments about the Toronto kits:

Posted by: l st | March 23, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

My first trip to Wenbley was 5/18/96 - I just started on a England/Wales/Scotland vacation - arrived in London from Philly in the AM - by 3:00 pm, I was sitting in Wembley for a England -Hungary pre-Euro 1996 tune-up match. England won 3-0 and DCU wannabe Darren "Sick Note" Anderton was Man of the Match scoring a pair while David Platt got the other one. It was my first match in Europe so it was great to hear the singing/chanting.

I was always surprised how orderly the crowds were getting to/from the tube (subway) station to the stadium, which was the most common way of getting to the games so there were huge lines. No pushing, no shoving - I would have never seen that in my days of working in Philly.

Posted by: Zman | March 23, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Maybe, like London Bridge in Arizona, the Old Wembley will come to America and wind up on the banks of the Anacostia!

Posted by: garbaggio | March 23, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Great story! Thanks for contributing.

Haven't heard anything about a Harrisburg friendly, but considering the proximity and the DCU reserves' need for matches, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.

Posted by: Goff | March 23, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Never been there, but I'd love to have seen Harkes' "goal of the year" he scored there in 1993. Actually I'd still love to see it if anybody knows of a video link.

Of course, there was also Live Aid...

Posted by: bbarrie | March 23, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

B-M-O stands for Bank Of Montreal? Are they dyslexic? And shouldn't it be BDM (Banque de Montreal)? Are the away jerseys in French?

Je suis confused.

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | March 23, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know where the Holland/Romania and Czech/Germany matches can be viewed in the DC area tomorrow? Neither one is showing at Summers or Harp and Fiddle? WTF? Or can they be streamed online? Thanks.

Posted by: KNVB Forever | March 23, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

hey goff - when are you going to be on post live on comcast sportsnet?

Posted by: fever | March 23, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

""Shirt sponsorship for DCU...I'm guessing, when it finally happens, it will be a prominent locally based or nationally recognized non-sports business.""

FIVE GUYS? YES! Of course, it'll be sold in the new stadium?

Posted by: de | March 23, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse

My money's on Discovery... which actually could be kind of cool on the shirt, at least cooler than a bank. Btw, I was watching an old FA cup final on FSC not long ago and Chelsea's shirt sponsor was Amiga -- probably more amusing to my fellow computer nerds out there than the rest of you sport junkies.

Posted by: bbarrie | March 23, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

bbarrie: did Man U used to have an IBM PC Jr. sponsorship?

de: Me thinks Five Guys would make a better basketball sponsor. People are dumb and will think there are four teams on the field.

I'm no fan of commercialization, but as long as it keeps MLS healthy and growing I can deal. I just hope we don't import hologram ads next to the goal and those stupid banks of backlit ad boards running the length of the field. Maybe the threat of lawsuits in the US due to seizure will keep them at bay.

Posted by: Shmoo | March 23, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse