Pain in Spain

Crisis averted. Beckham's knee injury isn't so bad and he should return for Real Madrid in six weeks or so. That sigh of relief you heard late last night was from LA Galaxy GM Alexi Lalas and the Anschutz suits. Lalas says when Beckham returns, he will be bubble-wrapped for the rest of the season. (kidding)

Speaking of La Liga, great quote from Barcelona President Joan Laporta, courtesy of Soccer America magazine and German paper Der Spiegel:

"If an alien came to earth, the first things I would want them to know would be Coca-Cola, Disney and Barca."

I know what Laporta is trying to say -- that Barcelona is becoming a global icon -- but does he really want to lump Barca (you know, the one with the motto, "Mes Que Un Club" or More Than a Club, and serves as a symbol of Catalonia autonomy), with cultural junk?

By Steve Goff  |  March 6, 2007; 10:20 AM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Mini-Update
Next: Return of a Terp

Comments

The Prsidents of these huge Italian and Spanish clubs are a constant source of amusment.
Their election year promises are completely made up, and they have no way of coming through on them all.
Vote for me and all of your wildest dreams will come true.

Posted by: jgildea8 | March 6, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Barca: Me Encanta!

Posted by: D | March 6, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Call me an idiot, because that's what I am:

If Beckham misses a month, where does that put him as far as Real Madrid's season/cup competitions?

In other words, does this knee injury preclude him from seeing any action before his arrival in LA?

Posted by: Logan Circle | March 6, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"Cultural Junk"

That hurt, that really hurt.

Posted by: Mickey Mouse | March 6, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

As the leader of an organization of tremendous importance to the Catalan people, Laporta should have replaced Coca-Cola and Disney with Cava and Picasso (or maybe Joan Miró). To me, the quote reveals him as a crude businessman who would be at home in any cutthroat business in any major center of capitalism in the world.

Logan Circle - Beckham's injury means he'll miss two very imporant games: tomorrow's Champions League Round-of-16 decider against Bayern Munich, and the Spanish league game aganst Barcelona on Saturday. But he will almost certainly play again for Real Madrid before the end of the European season in June, barring any further complications.

Posted by: SSMD | March 6, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that two of the three items on Laporta's "Alien's Guide to Earth" are American products. Is Barca seeking new sponsors? Shouldn't aliens know about UNICEF?

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | March 6, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I think barca is actually playing on sunday against Real. I'm going to barcelona in 3 weeks, any recommendations on how i can get tickets?

Posted by: joel | March 6, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Kinky Friedman has commented that the three most widely recognized cultural icons are Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-cola. I think if Barca wanted to put themselves in that company it would be a little more selective.

Posted by: soccer geek | March 6, 2007 11:49 PM | Report abuse