U.S. Women Win Again

Okay, I lied, I said no more blog entries until tonight, but I forgot about the USA women's match in Portugal.

USA 1, Finland 0

Goal: Carli Lloyd, early second half, 16-yard one-timer

USA is 2-0-0 in the Algarve Cup, a major primer for the Women's Cup in September, but will need to beat Sweden (better goal differential) in its finale Monday to win the group and advance to the final.

Today's starters: Scurry; Mitts, Whitehill, Rampone, Ellertson; Boxx, Wagner, Hucles; Tarpley, O'Reilly, Kai. Subs: Lopez, Chalupny, Lloyd, Wambach, Lilly enter at the half.

By Steve Goff  |  March 9, 2007; 1:06 PM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Let Us Entertain You
Next: DCU-Motagua

Comments

No Heather Mitts pictures? Isn't that required these days? Feh!

Grats to the US WNT. What a record of accomplishment.

Posted by: Shmoo | March 9, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: every soccer fan in the us | March 9, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

The US really turned it on after the half, as if waking up and finally realizing that it was Finland they were drawn with. That's 2 goals in 2 Algarve matches for Lloyd.

Posted by: I-66 | March 9, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

This is what I'm sayin'! No Heather on D and we gave up a goal. Heather on D and we get a shut out.

Mitts and Wambach. LET THE GATORS GROWL!

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | March 9, 2007 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Courtesy of Yanks Abroad .. .

FEARRINGTON GRATEFUL FOR DCU SHOT
Greg Seltzer for Yanks Abroad Friday, March 9, 2007

FC Copenhagen reserve defender Jamil Fearrington was not offered a deal by recent auditioners DC United, but says it was nice just to get the chance.

The youngster admitted to having a little trouble fitting into the capital crew's 3-5-2 set during his week of training in America.

"DC will not be my future employer, but it was a good experience," Fearrington told YA. "All the players and coaching staff are really nice guys, and it's an experience I wouldn't have gone without."

"On the field, I was surprised how different the style of play was compared to what I'm used to in Copenhagen - and Europe, period."

The longtime Copenhagen prospect appears frozen out by international players in Denmark, and could see himself faring better with a more traditional two-way right back role.

"I had a hard time adjusting to the way they played, so I think it was hard for me to show off my attributes," conceded Fearringon.

"For now, there are no other MLS trials lined up, but you never know. I think an MLS club playing with a four-man defense would suit me much better."

Posted by: delantero | March 9, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse

MLS is minor league suckage compared to the USA women and have actually won championships unlike the USA men.

Posted by: EVERY SOCCER FAN | March 10, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse