A Few Items to Start the Day

*As you have probably seen by now, the U.S. men's national team will play at Sweden in August -- its first competitive match in Europe since the World Cup last summer. The year after a World Cup is often quiet on the national team front, but with the Gold Cup, Copa America and this latest scheduled match, 2007 has turned into a productive stretch for the Americans. By the end of the summer, they will have played Denmark, Mexico, Ecuador, Argentina, Colombia, Paraguay and Sweden, not to mention potential elimination-round matches at Gold Cup and Copa. Not bad for a team still with an interim coach.....

*Devastating news for venerable MLS defender Carlos Llamosa, who will miss the season with a torn left ACL -- the second time in three years he has suffered extensive damage to that knee. After playing four years with United, one with Miami, two with New England and one with Chivas USA (he also sat out two seasons), Llamosa's career appears to be over. He will turn 38 this summer.

*To my surprise, The Post's Style section has published a front-page review of the Zidane film. Take a look.

*With Dave Johnson busy with the NBA playoffs, D.C. United radio man Tony Limarzi will handle play-by-play on Comcast SportsNet's tape-delay broadcast from Columbus on Saturday night. He'll be joined in the booth by former United coach Thomas Rongen. Frank Hanrahan, formerly with WTOP and now with WTEM, will fill in for Tony on the WMET radio broadcast.

I will not attend United training today, but if anything surfaces, I'll pass it along right away.

In the words of Ari Gold while storming out of the therapist's office Sunday night on HBO's Entourage: "Good day!" (too many bad words during the scene for me to link to it, but feel free to search youtube.com for "Ari Gold in Therapy")

By Steve Goff  |  April 24, 2007; 9:20 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps Announce Schedule
Next: More Help for Va. Tech

Comments

Man that really sucks about Carlos, a perenial Barra favorite. We used to call him The Wall.

Posted by: Chico | April 24, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Too bad about Llamosa. He started his career late, by professional standards, but proved why he was one of the best in MLS. We probably all have visions of him, as the last defender, cleanly stripping the ball from an opponent's foot on a slide tackle in the penalty area.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 24, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

A real shame about Carlos Llamosa. He was an awesome man-marker, and fantastic with fans. Very down-to-earth and humble. I was thrilled to see him make the national team.

Posted by: MattM | April 24, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

That sucks about Chuck :(

He is still my all time favorite player. He was a great player and his story was inspiring.

-dave

Posted by: gnat | April 24, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I was always touched by his story about becoming an American, surviving the first World Trade Center attack and how more than anyone else really understood what it meant to represent the USA.

Posted by: Hops | April 24, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"After playing four years with United, one with Miami, two with New England and one with Chivas USA"

And one year at Downing Stadium in the A-League, where I think he got his professional start. The last of the blue and orange to retire. "YOU'LL ALWAYS BE A CENTAUR!"

Posted by: RANDALL SISLAND | April 24, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

too bad about llamosa. Thanks for the updates!

Posted by: jj | April 24, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of summer tours, any news about European teams coming here for friendlies in the next few months? I heard some scuttlebutt about Aston Villa in Columbus and Toronto in late July, but nothing firm...how about DCU's plans? Thanks!

Posted by: Big C | April 24, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

DCU has no immediate plans for an international friendly this summer, but if something comes along that makes sense financially and fits into their schedule, they said they will look into it.

Posted by: Goff | April 24, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

How many times over those early years did we hear Dave Johnson in the booth saying something like, "...and its So-and-so! Knifing through!... BUT CARLOS LLAMOSA..." as Carlos would make yet another miraculous goal-saving tackle. In over 33 years of watching soccerat all levels, Carlos Llamosa was one of the best natural defensive talents I have ever seen.

Posted by: Ron | April 24, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"FedEx Field wants very badly to host a DCU friendly, but only if it is an opponent of extraordinary stature."

How eager were they to invite RM last year, I wonder (when, if I remember correctly and correct me if I'm wrong, they declined because there was a pigskin game scheduled for the following month or something)?

Or was it AFTER they saw that sold-out stadium in Seattle that the light bulb went off inside their dim heads?

Posted by: Juan-John | April 24, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Llamosa was probably the best 1 v 1 US defender I ever saw. Even if this injury ends up ending his career, let's hope he can find some way to continue in the game.

Posted by: Dsmac | April 24, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I would jump at the chance to have Llamosa coach the defenders on my team.

Posted by: Chico | April 24, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I think it would be cool, if we can somehow schedule a game against Manchester United, and bill it as the "United Cup"

Posted by: DC United Fan | April 24, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

The Ari Gold reference just made this blog 1000 percent cooler.

Posted by: Zach | April 24, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Hug it out!

Posted by: Goff | April 24, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

So I shouldn't count on a DC United v. Unterhaching match at Fed Ex?

Posted by: Kim | April 24, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think Aston Villa are super-extraordinary...but maybe that's just me. Thanks for the update, though.

Posted by: Big C | April 24, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Villa might be extraordinarily middle of the road!! :-)

Posted by: Rocko | April 24, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Who's is everyone picking for the first legs of the champions league semi-finals? Today is Man U home vs. AC Milan, and tomorrow is Chelsea home vs. Liverpool.

I'll go with AC Milan holding scalding hot Man U to a 1-1 draw, and Chelsea with a 2-1 victory over the Reds tomorrow.

Kind of a bummer, I'm not much of a fan of any of the 4 teams left. Best case for me would be a Liverpool-AC Milan rematch from that memorable CL final of 2 years ago.

Posted by: tmc | April 24, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse