Arena Returns

Kenny, that is.

He has been hired as a full-time assistant at George Mason after serving as a volunteer assistant at Virginia last season. The opening was created when Kris Kelderman, another former D.C. United player, left GMU to serve under new Kansas City coach Curt Onalfo (UVA, DCU).

So the Mason program now has ties to MLS with an Arena (Kenny), an Adu (Fro) and Andrulis (Greg).

Kenny played at Oakton High, Virginia and for N.Y. and D.C. in MLS.

Here's the official release:

George Mason University's men's soccer head coach Greg Andrulis has announced the hiring of Kenny Arena as an assistant coach. Arena will be responsible for player development, recruiting and scheduling.

"After an extensive national search, I am thrilled that Kenny Arena has accepted a position on the George Mason soccer staff," said Andrulis. "Kenny possesses tremendous experience as a player, having had success
at the highest levels while playing with the United States National Teams and in Major League Soccer."

Most recently, Arena served as a volunteer assistant coach with the University of Virginia for the 2006 season and helped lead the Cavaliers to the NCAA Division I Men's Soccer semifinals. While at UVa, Arena's main responsibility was player development. In addition, Arena has been training and coaching club teams since 1998 in McLean, Vienna, Herndon and Arlington.

By Steve Goff  |  April 2, 2007; 9:49 PM ET
Categories:  College Soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred Lives!
Next: Predictions, Predictions

Comments

Good for Kenny. I hope those MLS links can turn Mason into a soccer powerhouse.

Posted by: Kinney | April 2, 2007 11:54 PM | Report abuse

zzzzzzzz.....

/sorry, had to

Posted by: Paul | April 3, 2007 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Europe didn't pan out, or what?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2007 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Greg Andrulis and Kenny Arena... that is one HELL of a combination.

Posted by: Goose | April 3, 2007 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Now that Arena's in, I bet Mikey Agoos and Amanda Harkes can't be far behind.

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 3, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Zzzzzz can only be used in proposed stadium references.

Posted by: Goff | April 3, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

No, I think we can use the Zzzzz for MLS non-events, too. Like yesterday's competition announcement. Other than the playoff announcement it seemed to be a yawner, especially since Wynalda broke the news weeks ago.

Actually, I'm happy for Kenny. Should prove to be a good opportunity for him, and he's with a first class coach.

Posted by: Kim | April 3, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Hooray for Mason. I hope we can get back to our former glory days in men's soccer, let alone build into a powerhouse.

Kim, the competition announcement was a snoozer for you? I think it's a massive leap forward on many fronts.

Posted by: Shmoo | April 3, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

The announcement was no longer news since Eric Wynalda mentioned most of it during the US game a couple of weeks ago.

The big highlights of the competition announcement were:

1. Playoff seeding
2. Theme music
3. Lawn care

Since we already see the pre-game stuff in DC it's no change.

We also don't have annoying in-game music/announcements. So these are non-issues. It's just a league mandate for some common sense initiatives for KC and Columbus.

I'm glad they blew some of Toronto's expansion money on getting a Euro-composer to come up with a tune.

Yeah, it was a snoozer for me.

Posted by: Kim | April 3, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

In keeping with my partnership with MLS, I will ensure the uniformity of my lawn. Beginning in the Spring season of 2007, the types and frequency of weeds in the front yard will be replicated in the back. I will continue to remove grass so that the bare patches also match.

To keep the green hues uniform, deer will be required to poop as frequently in the front yard as in the back. The deer must also enter the yard together while the MLS anthem plays.

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | April 3, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

i say cut Goff some slack with the Zzzzzz stuff. he reports on some great stuff that many of us wouldn't read otherwise. i'd rather have him over-report on loads of stuff that many consider interesting than only reporting on a few things that EVERYONE considers interesting. KEEP IT UP, GOFFY!

Posted by: Boss T | April 3, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse