Denver Bound

I will be traveling much of the day, but hope to file some updates upon arrival in Denver later.

Meantime, you can discuss Houston's wild match at Pachuca last night.

By Steve Goff  |  April 6, 2007; 6:35 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Denver, ugh
Next: Greetings from Denver

Comments

It was a real thriller, that's for sure. However...

Houston was lucky to get to extra time. They created 5 chances all game long: Mullan's goal, Ching's goal, the brilliant save by Calero, the awful miss from Ching, and the goal called back at the end. 5 chances in 120 minutes is not going to cut it, unless you yourself are limiting your opponent to a similar number.

Pachuca could have easily scored 8 goals...maybe more. They had a couple bad finishes, and Cochrane nearly handed them a 3rd penalty as well. How much of the game was spent in Houston's end? At one point, even with Pachuca up 4-2, I told my friends that I was on the verge of saying that Pachuca was having one of those games where the ball just won't go in.

All that said, you have to give a lot of credit to Houston. They fought the best team in CONCACAF tooth and nail in both legs, forced extra time, and nearly forced penalties, all in preseason. They were not at their best in either leg in terms of fluent play, but there's no questioning their heart.

Just as we here in DC can be proud of the effort given by United, Houston's fans have nothing to be ashamed of after this. Yes, losing these games hurts, but we've made a ton of progress in a short amount of time (2005: Quarterfinal loss for the Wizards, 6-1 aggregate loss to Pumas for DC in the semis; 2006: 2 close quarterfinal losses for the Revs and Galaxy). If we keep up that rate, 2008's tournament could be the year MLS takes it in the current format. And if you're going to go out, it should at least take a goal of that quality to do it.

Plus, we have Superliga to get revenge.

Steven: With an all-Mexican final on tap, what will CONMEBOL do with the 3rd Copa Sudamericana spot? The Wikipedia entry currently has an MLS slot, with DC and Houston both listed as vying for one spot. How is this supposed to be determined? Points (Houston would have 6, DC would have 7)? Does MLS even have a spot?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 6, 2007 7:58 AM | Report abuse

You cannot give up two goals in fifteen minutes and expect to win anything. In despite of that, Houston showed that they have a lot of heart.

Posted by: vertualvice | April 6, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I thought Houston fought hard and as Dynamo fan I am proud. Last night's match however exposed some of the deficiencies that you can hide in MLS. The smaller fields and slower forwards in MLS can cover up flank backs with no speed - last night, they just flat ran around us and at 8000 feet still never stopped running. When the Dynamo came out of the shell, they played halfway decent.

That said, the Dynamo had their chances in extra time and were 1 up twice in the second half but couldn't hold on. The last 2 Pachuca goals were generally unstoppable - the quick turn and flick in the box and the Upper 90 rocket (has anyone see a goal more upper 90 than that?). We did miss Rico Clark as the lack of central midfield possession killed us.

You will hear bellyaching about the referee but it mostly evened out. Their second PK I thought was very suspect, the others were legit.

MLS has and is closing the gap.

Posted by: JJ | April 6, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Props to Houston for their effort, and for not quitting. They were clearly gassed by the 75th minute, and kept pushing. Now get some rest and enjoy your game v LA in a little over 48 hours.

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 6, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

MLS brass, and MFL brass for that matter, are loving this Superliga idea now. All teams showed well and the MLS teams didn't look out of place at all. They would have been a lot less pleased had DC and Houston been spanked in their matches.

I think the CCC will spark some added interest in the Superliga and maybe some rivalries can begin to form between MLS and MFL teams.

Posted by: shaft | April 6, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Did you see that Pachuca didn't charge admission to ensure a full stadium? That's awesome!!

Too bad for Houston - that one stings after having the 2-0 lead going in...

Posted by: DE | April 6, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

In spite...(sp)

Posted by: vertualvice | April 6, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

It was a frustrating match to watch. I think the ref was actually pretty good. I didn't like the second PK, but it certainly was not a completely fraudulent call. Houston defenders made some really poor decisions.

I do wish they had won, as I pretty much hate all things Mexican (well, at least as related to soccer.. the food is good, as is the tequila.) We need to be playing these guys when MLS is in mid-season.

Posted by: Hacksaw | April 6, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

The free admission was an awesome promotion, and it showed in the stands. Maybe MLS should consider something along those lines for a game. There's potential to draw lots of new people to the stadium, and convert them into supporters...

Posted by: DCBird | April 6, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Houston and DC represented MLS very well, I think. But a fricking loss is a loss.

More importantly:

For this to be a true Champions Cup, the powers that be need to move the dates so that MLS has some real games under it's belt. DC UNITED won it when they played in the summer, then they changed it to benefit Mexico---go figure.

Let's just see when the SUPER LIGA kicks off in July.

Posted by: delantero | April 6, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

MLS is getting better. SuperLiga should be fun. That Dynamo-Pachuca match was insane.

At least the USMNT pasted the Mexicans at that friendly in Arizona earlier this year...

Off topic, but we really need a nickname for our World Cup team (like the "Azzurri," or the "Tri," etc). USMNT just doesn't hack it for me.

"Pinstripes" maybe, in honor of the new unis? I know it kinda has a NY Yankee ring to it, but maybe that might be good...?

Posted by: Juan-John | April 6, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I disagree that Houston was lucky to get to extra time. Remember they were ahead on aggregate and we had some worried Pachuca fans in the 85th minute. As far as chances between the teams are concerned, let's not confuse camping in our end with creating quality chances. Pachuca may have dribbled around the Dynamo area and passed the ball around, but they were continuously stopped from making a good final pass and forced to take long range shots. On the other hand, almost every time Dynamo, albeit rarely, went to the Pachuca end they were able to generate a quality chance. Let's not forget the amazing save on a DeRo header and the open header Ching missed in extra time.

This is not to say that Pachuca wasn't the better team. We should just give Dynamo just credit for being a much more clinical team while taking advantage of deficiencies in Pachuca defense. Similarly, Pachuca's offense showed some serious flaws in Houston's (and probably most MLS teams') game.

These type of games can only be good for both sides. Pachuca was obviously not used to defending the direct into the box style of play, and Houston was woefully inadequate at slowing the fast Pachuca attackers.

Posted by: Alex | April 6, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't think "free admission" would resonate as well north of the border as it does south of the border, where soccer's viability isn't constantly questioned. MLS does need to be affordable and fan friendly, but it also needs to project a certain air of professionalism and exclusivity if they want to appear as being on par with other US leagues.

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 6, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Wynalda suspended for the DC-Colorado game.

Posted by: RK | April 6, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

the best team in CONCACAF

They're the best team in CONCACAF I've seen since Club America twenty years ago. That includes Lapuente's Necaxa sides and Meza's run at Toluca.

If they could learn to defend as a team, I'd say they would be one of the best sides in the world right now.

Houston put up a hell of a fight. Thin squad, bad tactics at first (one thing DC has learned is NOT to come out timid playing in Mexico), and man-for-man, less talent, but once they got slapped in the face, they played that "US style"-- countering and set-pieces-- to a tee.

Posted by: Benjamin | April 6, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Wow, is that true about Wynalda?

Posted by: Chico | April 6, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RK | April 6, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

How lucky we are to have Julie Foudy announcing our game. (sic)

Posted by: ursula | April 6, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the USA Today link, I never considered the fact that giving over production duties might result in a degradation of presentation.

Anyone have a scouting report for Julie Foudy? It shows how far Balboa has fallen that he isn't even considered to be a substitute announcer for one game.

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 6, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Does ABC use the SAP alternative for MLS games? Hope so....

Posted by: Chico | April 6, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

the changes espn is talking about in that USA article are awful.

the offide line? like displayed continuously on the field at the last defender, or just on replays?

so much for "Game First" initiatives and advice from the Bundesliga on how to not look like a joke.

Posted by: pat | April 6, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I like the new slogan..

"You are a fan you just dont know it"

better than the whole colors thing last year.

Posted by: Kenny | April 6, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, showing the "offside line" for 90 minutes a game is going to look retarded and *confuse* the casual fan, who probably doesn't know that offside is determined at the moment the ball is played. When the forward runs on to the pass, Joe Public is going to think the assistant referee blew the call.

Posted by: Paul | April 6, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure they are going to show the offside line for the entirety of the match, just when calls are in question.

If they actually do show the line during the entire match, it would be the most stunningly retarted decision ever being made in US soccer history, aside from having Mike Burns guard the post, or for that matter, suiting up for the US period.

Posted by: A Rickey | April 6, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

A superimposed offside line is going to be mighty annoying. Let's see if they're smart enough to shift it back and forth when a player is/is not affecting the run of play, etc. Once we're up 6-0 Jaime should get offsides and then step off the field just to make them flip it around.

I say free Pollo Campero meal to the goalie who can knock out the sky cam first.

Posted by: gringo | April 6, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Well, a superimposed offside line would be linked the 2nd to last defender, not any of the offensive players. So they won't need to worry about offensive players not involved in the play. That said it's an awfully dynamic, constantly moving line so I don't know how it would work exactly. Are they going to use the 10 yard circle around free kicks like they do in some European telecasts? I like that technology and the line that shows the distance from the goal.

Posted by: Glenn | April 6, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

USMNT nickname ideas to throw around ... (should this be also ongoing with Uncle Sam's Army?) And no, there is no way they can be the pinstripes on this blog ... F those Orange Bovines just south of Manhattan.

Sam's Army
The Eagles
The Snakes (anybody else hate that Nike ad campaign from the world cup ... don't tread?)
Blue Angels
The Dandies (Whole Yankee Doodle Dandy thing)
Defenders of the Free World

I mean, c'mon guys, we (most of us) live in Washington, DC ... we can come up with great names and use the history books. Personally, I like Blue Angels and Sam's Army

Posted by: G-Unit | April 6, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Offside line? If it's on the entire game like the NFL 1st down marker, it will drive me insane. If they use it only for called offsides/questionable offsides, then fine by me.

Looking forward to having Foudy over Wynalda in the booth on Sat. Eric rubs me the wrong way; A) He was not a very good player. B) He's not a good color guy as he seems angry all the time.

Posted by: delantero | April 6, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me that "Yanks" is already it, judging from songs. Not that I, as a Southerner, like it much, but there it is.

"Dandies"-- ugh.

Posted by: Benjamin | April 6, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"He was not a very good player."

He was a great player, in his prime-- fast, tricky, a great shooter, and a heckuva nose for goal. Early 90s Wynalda would start for the current US XI. I would have loved to see him lined up next to McBride or Ching, with Landon in a "Platini" slot behind them. He would pull defenders forward, leaving Landon with more space in front of him.

Posted by: Benjamin | April 6, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Look at the paranoid fans refuse any innovation.

I'm willing to give these things a shot tomorrow. If they suck, I'll hate them afterwards, not before.

Would you folks have whined about the black panels on the ball in Mexico '70?

Posted by: Kim | April 6, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I hated the don't tread on me campaign. Nike should have retired it after the Czechs trod on us.

Using the uniform for a nickname is a bad idea because (1) pinstripes don't belong on a footy kit and (2) the kits change every year or two.

Nothing is wrong with "Yanks." Everyone recognizes it. It predates the Civil War. Southerners who hate the nickname don't watch soccer anyway.

"F those Orange Bovines just south (west actually) of Manhattan" is a good candidate too.

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | April 6, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Re names for USMNT
Dandies? that's like naming your kid 'Gaylord' and sending him to a catholic boarding school. Bad call.

Nicknames are the sorts of things that come about on their own. Lets not try to force one.

but considering our style of play, i.e. counterattacking, we could call ourselves the Mongooses, (mongeese?)

but some ideas are coming to me now...
or perhaps something like "the Justice League" and we have different players named for each member of the original olde school justice league of olde.

Landon would be permanent Hawkwoman.

(I did not know this on my own. Google had to help me)

Or we could just name ourselves something ferocious and indigenous to North America, like the Turkeys (Benji F and I love this animal) or, in an attempt to bring in more fans of more main stream US sports, we could name ourselves something offensive to native americans.

or we could go with the Clovis Men.

or do something more with International Relations like Carter's Boys, or Wilson's Logic.

or maybe even Kissinger's Ghost. is he still kicking?

I really wish the Mannschaft weren't taken.

Posted by: bribri | April 6, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

ESPN will "try to make connections to other sports -- like somehow working mentions of John Elway into Saturday's game in Denver"

Huh?

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | April 6, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Spending friday night at the British Bulldog?

Posted by: Allen | April 6, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey Exit 1, I think it'll be more of the deplorable stuff like when O'Brien wouldn't stop talking about Onyewu in shoulder pads. Just awful.

And Julie Foudy? UGH! She is horrible - like fingernails running down a chalkboard!

Posted by: DE | April 6, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

""He was a great player, in his prime-- fast, tricky, a great shooter, and a heckuva nose for goal.""

Eric Wynalda was not a great player.
Great players aren't baited into red cards (WC 90). Great players don't play for relegated Bundesliga squads and then get transferred. Great players don't flame out in MLS and get traded to 4 different MLS teams and end up with a USL squad. Great players don't punch teammates (John Doyle).

Eric is a bum.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 6, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

(Stepping on soap box)

Why do we need a nickname? I still don't get the fascination with copying traditions from third world coutries like Italy. (Yes it was the seat of the Renaissance, but that was half a millenium ago and has been completely backwards for the last 75 years.)

ALSO I absolutely hate "yankees" or any variation thereof because of the association with that pin-striped team of that wretched "sport" and the people of revolutionary New England. In the spirit of my adopted home state celebrating 400 years, I'd say that Southerners were here before Northerners and were much more responsible for the ideals of liberty ensconced in our nation. In terms of soccer, how many state universities have the pedigree of two fine SOUTHERN schools named UVA and UNC? What about the west coast too? We certainly aren't yanks out there. Additionally, the country no longer looks like the nation that existed when that perjorative was coined. We are a coutry of black, white, red, brown, yellow, blue, purple, orange and any other stereotypical color one can think of. So please come up with something better than "yankees"

(Stepping off soap box)

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | April 6, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Houston an DC were both gassed by the end of their matches since they are in pre-season and everyone else is in mid season form.

I know, a lot of teams use NFL stadiums and stuff, but unteil they do something about the scheduling, the MLS as a whole will suffer ('cos most national team tournaments are held in the summer and MLS continues to play even when the best US players are out of national team duty), 'cos be it CONCACAF Cup or Libertadores, or Sudamericana teams overall can not compete when they only have 1 or 2 matches under thier belt.

MLS is getting better, but I think the schedule change is needed in order to take it to the next level.

Posted by: Vic | April 6, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

LeesburgSoccerFan,

Relax, the Civil War ended a long time ago.

Posted by: de | April 6, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Right, I just can't figure out whom they will compare John Elway to, Taylor Twellman's teeth maybe.

OK, if the ESPN commentators are reading this (and not watching Strong Man or Cheerleader Nationals), please fulfill your employer's mandate to infuse comparisons to other sports like this:

"Our commentator in the booth is Julie Foudy who, like John Elway, went to Stanford."

'Nuff said

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | April 6, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Can I be a Carter's boy??? Pretty please???

Can I sit on his lap, eat peanuts, and read quotes from his book that blame the Israeli's for everything gone wrong in the middle east??? I'll get up if there's a third world dictator that is having a fixed election that needs to "certified".

Posted by: Anonymous | April 6, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

"I'd say that Southerners were here before Northerners..."

The Spaniards in Florida were here first. Let's call ourselves Los Yanquis.

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | April 6, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Commenting about production innovations? That's so last week.

Posted by: RK | April 6, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Nicknames, huh .. how about: "Sons of the Soccer Moms"

Posted by: Ferg | April 6, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

If you ever travel to Europe, and inform a European that you are an American, they refer to you as a "Yank" regardless if you're from New England or Alabama. Most Englishmen refer Americans as Yanks. Yanks is fine with me, but I would prefer something like, the Patriots(even though we all know it has been taken by the NFL). Also, for anyone who is hating on Wynalda, the dude is the all-time leading scorer in US history. Has everyone forgot the sick free kick goal he scored in the World Cup '94 in Detroit vs. Switzerland? Magnificant goal. On top of that, he does provide fantastic commentary, he may rub people the wrong way due to his straigthtforward comments, but that is what is needed in the booth. Most of his comments do make sense, and I am glad that he likes to have a drink once in a while with members of the press. He showed his true passion and love for the game for America. All props to him.

Posted by: DC United Fan | April 6, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I like "Defenders of the Free World" but thats just opens us up for so much crap when we get pasted by Argentina in Copa America.

How about Gringos, Cowboys, or "The Ugly Americans".

Posted by: Rick in Ashburn | April 6, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"What no one is discussing the the dire need of MLS to change its schedule to be in par with the rest of the world."

did you see yesterday's blog post about the weather to expect for a game in Denver in April? and you want to switch to a schedule where games will be played October through April? expect a lot of empty seats for the games that aren't cancelled for inclement weather.

Posted by: pat | April 6, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"Great players aren't baited into red cards"

So I guess Zidane is a punk?

As for the superimposed offside lines, I'll reserve judgement til I see it in action. The only such thing I've seen before is an artificial 10 yd. circle around a free kick taker, which I'd like to see used more.

Full disclosure: I was one of the ones who thought the blue dot in hockey was useful.

Posted by: bbarrie | April 6, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

What about the Benjamin's for nicknames? I mean, not only would our theme song be (the last) a great Puff Daddy song, but we could have guys in the stands dressing up like Ben Franklin. And all that PacMan jones stuff bouncing around out there ...

I am becoming a great fan of "Yanks". We'd go with the whole New Orleans Mardi Gras theme and sing "When the Yanks Go Marching In" while drinking heavily. There's so much with that idea there to recommend it.

From now on, all of my questions/comments/rants about the national team will refer to the team will refer to them as "Yanks".

Tech issues ... do the 10 yard circle and the distance to goal, and, like they've been doing in video games for years, put up a yellow line with the second to last defender on replays. It won't be up all match long. Who else is ready?

Posted by: G-Unit | April 6, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

They should use that super-imposed line once before the game using a real game situation where someone was called offsides, then maybe again once during the game when there's a slow down or stoppage in play.

I don't understand why it's so hard to explain. My buddy came up with the perfect analogy. He called it (in hockey terms) a moving blue line.

Posted by: Chico | April 6, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nh | April 6, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I'll take "Son's of the Soccer MILF's" for $200 Alex.

Posted by: greg | April 6, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

can the .2 rating go lower?

Posted by: JSF | April 6, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"can the .2 rating go lower?"

what are you talking about?

Posted by: ??? | April 6, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

As for "Yanks" as a nickname. The English will have about 8 Billion songs to sing about us "Wanks" the moment we start calling ourselves that. So, next. Also, I too am a Southerner, hate being called a Yankee and hate the NY Yankees as well. That's 3 real good reasons not to call our team that. Use something that is historical and universal, that other countries would recognize as well. Call them the "Doughboys" or "G.I." or something like that. Colonists, Minutemen,the Cavalry, something.

Posted by: grotus | April 6, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Good first impression on the music -- very similar to the Champions League.

Posted by: RK | April 6, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

First of all Eric Wynalda was my favorite national team player during his time, with good reason. He was the only player on the team who could be dangerous in the final third, for example WC 94 vs. Swiss Miss. I guess being the first American to play in Germany the second in UEFA leagues (Harkes was in england on a english passport) at the time doesn't qualify as being a good player, however those at Saarabrucken would disagree. Is he brash and does he say the things that some don't like to hear? Hell yeah, like his immeadiate thrashing of Bruce Arena after the 2006 World Cup. That was by far the best assessment I have ever heard by a US Analyst. As for good players not getting red cards in World Cups. I guess El Diablo was not a very good player either, cause if I remember correctly he got sent off after playing five minutes against Germany in the 94WC. As for the nick name, Gringos is great. I believe the mexicans will love to hear that every time we beat them with our B team. On a different subject it was a shame to watch Houston try and defend for the remainder of regulation after scoring thier final goal. In the first half when they were getting trounced that was their tactic. 2nd half they began to pressure and attempt to keep the ball. All of sudden they appeared to be a championship side, Pachuca players started to disappear, and fans in the stands started to cry. Goal in the 80th, okay lets just defend for the next ten plus minutes. Its too bad, their ability to serve quality balls and finish in the air could have caused serious problems for Chivas. The referee Navaro deserves a lot of credit, his game management has drastically improved. Now on to things that were out and out bad. De Rosario; with the exception of one pass, didn't even have a picture of good much less play like somebody is up for MLS MVP every year. The Defending of Houston was horrible for most of the game with the exception of Brian Mullen when he moved back and Wade Barrett (a Virginia Boy). Waible, Robinson, and Cochraine, looked like a combination of Matadors and Mass murders. When they weren't watching somebody run by them they were lunging and stabbing in all over the place. I had flashbacks of Erpen and Namoff. Now back to the begining, Wynalda you are now my favorite US affiliated person of all time, you have just surpassed all the players off of our 1950 World Cup team. Keep ripping maybe somebody will listen and effect change. (Cough Cough Sunil you wee little man.)

Posted by: European Snob | April 6, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"Use something that is historical and universal, that other countries would recognize as well."

Ummm... that would be "Yanks."

How about "IF IT WEREN"T FOR US YOU UNGRATEFUL BASTARDS WOULD BE EATING SAUERKRAUT AND SPEAKING GERMAN!" Can you fit that into a song?

Posted by: Kilroy was here | April 6, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

that's it.

Kilroy.

Somehow, lets use Kilroy.

That cool little bit o grafitti was drawn all over the world, wherever American soldiers went during WWII. It is an internationally recognized symbol of our soldiers from that war.

That is universal, and nobody can make fun of us for it.

Lets get Kilroy ideas rocking.

Posted by: bribri | April 6, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure a certain restaurant would love that.

Posted by: RK | April 6, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

my bad. just did a quick read and found that the drawing that goes w/ kilroy is a british thing from before the war. It was actually used as a joke that could easily be turned on us.
that ever illusive nickname will find us eventually

Posted by: bribri | April 6, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I feel like this thread on nicknames needs its own separate thread.

Doughboys is kinda cool. Put on those wide-brimmed tin hats. But I still like the "Yanks" and Mardi Gras theme. Though if it's supposed to tie in the country, and all our southern friends don't like it, we'll need another.

Can I throw out another one? How about the Grizzlies in honor of the Mountain Men like Olsen and McBride who do so well up there?

Posted by: G-Unit | April 6, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Yanks! Yanks! Yanks!

Oh when the Yanks, go marchin' in.
Oh when the Yanks go marchin' in.
Oh I want to be in that number.
When the Yanks go marchin' in.

***Or, so as not to hurt the Southern sensibilities:

Johnnies:

When Johnny comes marching home again,
Hurrah, hurrah!
We'll give him a hearty welcome then,
Hurrah, hurrah!

The men will cheer, the boys will shout,
The ladies they will all turn out,
And we'll all feel proud,
When Johnny comes marching home.

Posted by: j | April 6, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Wade Barrett did have a good game last night, right? It's hard to go play in Mexico, and it showed last night. Most of the guys were a little shaky. But, that's to be expected.

Can't wait for tomorrow. DC UuuuuuNiTeddddd

Posted by: jj | April 6, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Should we be worried about Goff? How long does it take to get to Denver and set up your laptop? I mean, we want him at every away game, but not if he has to take the Vamoose bus to get there.

As for the MNT nickname: The Stars and Stripes. It's got a ring to it, and as we develop a world superpower program, will be apt.

Posted by: Arrrlington | April 6, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Grizzlies will piss off the Southerners because they don't have Grizzly Bears.

It's a joke guys, put your shotguns down (another joke).

Posted by: Anonymous | April 6, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I read the press release about the "theme." I love this part:

"Over a period of time, this piece of music will become associated in people's minds with the great MLS moments in our history - a championship game, an important playoff game, the local rivalry, the 5-4 come-from-behind victory," Gazidis said. "Over time, that association will become strong and the music will become more powerful."

I'm afraid it will come to be associated with 0-0 draws with the Wiz on a triple-digit early August day. That seems more "MLS" to me.

Posted by: Benjamin | April 6, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"the 5-4 come-from-behind victory"

We'll call it Symphony Pachuca

Posted by: Anonymous | April 6, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Leesburg- Oh just shut up. You take yourself too seriously.

Posted by: Union Square | April 7, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse