Doh!

So my trusty and very well-paid research assistant -- okay, it's actually my 10-year-old son Ryan -- was doing what he does best -- researching upcoming Simpsons episodes -- when he came upon this gem: Soccer returns to the show with a rotund special guest star from Brazil.

Mark your calendar: April 22!

Here is a description of the episode.

Of course, let's not forget this infamous Simpsons soccer moment: (The Pele scene is spot on.)

By Steve Goff  |  April 12, 2007; 8:08 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Four for Freedom
Next: Kansas City Preparations

Comments

Very funny. Never saw this before. Thanks for posting!

Posted by: 12th man | April 12, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

""You call this a soccer riot? Come on boys, let's take em to school . . ."

Posted by: delantero | April 12, 2007 9:30 PM | Report abuse

It was all Chinaglia's fault...

Posted by: Erick | April 12, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

What's up with the Galaxy wearing the road whites at the HDC tonight? Did they not iron the Herbalife patches onto the gold 'n green jerseys yet? Or is this the start of their midseason re-branding?

Posted by: Gals-FCD | April 12, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

It's funny (not really) but the game commentary tonight is eerily like the simpsons clip:
Dave: Forward passes to the wing, Beckham, Beckham...
Waldo: July 21, Beckham, Beckham...
Dave: Dallas takes a shot, Beckham, Beckham...
Waldo: Ruiz is a diver, Beckham, Beckham...

I expect it from Dave, but I expect more from Wynalda. Somebody give him a beer.

Posted by: bbarrie | April 12, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear god, Eric Wynalda, please threaten someone else so they take you off the air.

Nice to see Clarence in the mix. Sad Abe Thompson can't seem to buy a start. I like to see Maryland products getting minutes.

Posted by: Colm | April 12, 2007 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Announcing aside - the presentation of the game is pretty good on espn. This has improved - better camera angles, etc. I actually also like Hopkins on the sidelines.

Surprised to see Dallas turn this game around, but they look pretty good now. This kid Toja can play. Apparently they got him from River Plate in Argentina - see some other teams trying the DCU approach too.

Posted by: tmc | April 12, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Dallas looks nice. Im a true fan of Kenny Cooper. And you would think Beckham is playing as much as Wynalada talks about him. Bring IMUS in to replace him!

Posted by: Kenny | April 12, 2007 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Nice clip...it's too funny when the Scottish Dudes start a riot!!!

Posted by: Dave the Wave | April 12, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Man Tell me something, Goff, by this post i could tell you and your son must be pretty good followers of the simpsons, do you agree that they completely have dropped off in the comedy department? As this clip you linked is not from the newer episodes? Ariaga? Ariaga II??

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | April 13, 2007 12:04 AM | Report abuse

One more thing, is this suppose to impress us DC Fans? I'd be more impressed if they introduced to us a animated etcheverry, drinking beers with Homer at Moe's Tavern, at the same time singing "viva mi patria bolivia".

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | April 13, 2007 12:17 AM | Report abuse

My indoor team features a player wearing Adiaga II on his back. We were going to have all of the fake players (Adiaga, Adiaga II, Badiaga, Aruglia, and Pizzoza) but there were too many other good fake names.

Toja looks like he could be one of the better players in MLS this season.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 13, 2007 1:57 AM | Report abuse

Weird--I enjoyed watching the match presentation, thought the soccer was good, and thought Dave O'Brien did a good job--the best game I've heard him call.

Is this all a dream? A magical, magical dream?

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 13, 2007 8:44 AM | Report abuse

That's funny, when I saw the white shirts on Galaxy, I said to my wife that I bet this is the start of the inevitable rebranding of LAG. I'm now waiting to see how long it is before that green vertical strip changes to blue. And then - voila - the introduction of the all blue home shirts.

Of course, it may very well be that they haven't yet ironed on the Herbalife decal on the yellows. It really looks like they simply slapped a bumper sticker on the front of each jersey...

Posted by: DE | April 13, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

This is one of my favorite scenes ever!

Posted by: DC Sports Chick | April 13, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I've come to a realization regarding the ESPN broadcasts: Wynalda now serves two purposes. Insightful commentary, and he keeps O'Brien in the game. That broadcast (while not perfect) was so much better than the United game just days ago.

I don't think there'll be an 'evolution' of the Gals kits, I think it's just the de-emphasizing of the ugly yellow green.

Posted by: Kim | April 13, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I remember when the Metrostars had Ariaga, Ariaga II, Gaaraiga, Aruglia, and Pizzoza all in their starting lineup in 1996. They didn't score any goals then either.

Posted by: DCAustinite | April 13, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Great. You realize that Feldman is going to think that that's DC United footage, right?

Posted by: Dead to Me | April 13, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Homer signed with Newcastle? Perfect...

(yes, I know...)

Posted by: This is D | April 13, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Duff Beer for DC's shirt sponsor!

Posted by: Mo | April 13, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm just waiting for the day when the sideline reporter is interviewing a player who just came off the field, right at the moment when one of the teams scores a goal, and nobody gets to see it live because ESPN was trying to do the "Amurrikan" TV thing of having a sideline reporter and not concentrating on the game itself.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 13, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have any idea if it supposed to rain during the game tomorrow. I can't wait to beat the piss out of the Wizards, KC that is. Go United!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan | April 13, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Very funny clip. Loved it.

As to the game last night. Pretty good. I have to echo what has been sent here about the presentation. Wow! Did some of you catch in HD? I could not believe I was watching a soccer game. 1000% better in terms of the production value. More cameras, better angles, better slow-mo replays. In HD it was outstanding. Even the commentary was not terrible. Not great cause you have an athlete learning to become a broadcaster/announcer and someone who has very little clue about soccer learning the game. For where they're coming from they did ok. I have to agree that the commentary was head and shoulders above the opener. I kind of liked the Stone/Foudy pairing. Don't kill me just yet. Give it a little time, I think they'll get better as well.

Posted by: Dan | April 13, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Dave O'Brian is still dreadful, he's just not as bad as he used to be, and it's probably not his fault since ESPN/ABC just threw him into broadcasting soccer. JP Delacamara (sp?) should be doing every possible broadcast because he grew up around the game and knows the intricacies of the game. When a player gets a card it's called getting "booked." When a ball goes out for a throw it goes over the "touchline," not the sideline. These are little things that the casual fan won't notice, but to real soccer/futbol fans, it makes a huge difference, at least to me.

As an American, I don't expect people in the US to call the field a "pitch" or cleats "boots," but there are certain things that should remain contant whether they are being called in the US or overseas.

I did like the camera angles that ESPN provided, and the picture was great on my HDTV, but O'Brian's got to go.

Posted by: CY | April 13, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Scary how simsons-Ronaldo looks exactly like a Brazilian Homer Simpson with small eyes, yet he also looks exactly like World Cup Ronaldo (only skinnier). Go figure.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | April 13, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

You have a 10-year-old son at home and you post this often??? In the spirit of pitch/kit/match I advise you to skive, sir, skive.

Posted by: gringo | April 13, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

-And someone card CY for his Anglo envy. Maybe he's just pissed.

Posted by: gringo | April 13, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse