Drawing It Up for Women's World Cup

The Women's World Cup draw will be held Sunday morning (our time) in Wuhan, China. Here's what you need to know:

The finalists -- USA, China, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, England, Canada, Japan, North Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Argentina, Ghana and Nigeria -- will be drawn into four four-team groups.

Germany (defending champs) and China (host) are definitely top seeds in groups A and D, respectively. The USA, ranked No. 1 in the world, is almost certain to be a top seed. The final top slot will probably go to Norway. For convenience, the Americans are probably hoping to be placed in Group C, which would allow them to set up camp in Shanghai, play their first two matches in nearby Hangzhou, then finish up in Shanghai. Otherwise, they will head to the central Chinese city of Chengdu.

My prediction: USA, Denmark, Australia and Argentina.

Click here for more WWC details.

By Steve Goff  |  April 19, 2007; 11:37 AM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remembering the Hokies
Next: Gone Fishin'

Comments

Steven,
I appreciate your coverage of women's soccer. You seem to provide more coverage than any other mainstream source.

Posted by: Martin | April 19, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Did OFC actually get a full, bona fide, one of their own slot? Wow! FIFA respects the OFC women more than the men.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 19, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

How could the #1 team in the world be only "almost certain" to be a top seed?

Posted by: Paul | April 19, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"How could the #1 team in the world be only 'almost certain' to be a top seed?"

Because FIFA is in charge.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Germany (champs) and China (host) were guaranteed top seeds; the USA was not. So we're just waiting for FIFA to officially announces it. Until that time, the USA is "almost certain" to get a top seed.

Posted by: Goff | April 19, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Goff: as a loyal blog reader, I make a humble request.

Please identify your stories a bit better. I like women's soccer fine, but I don't want to read those entries, for the most part.

This can be solved:
1) through a more precise headline
2) Tags, similar to Dan Steinberg's/youtube, etc.
3) both

thanks

Posted by: jj | April 19, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Request denied!

You must read everything!!

;-)

Posted by: Goff | April 19, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

?? Did you change the headline? Because 'Drawing it up for the WWC' seems pretty clear to me.

Posted by: cat | April 19, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Headline change upon request (this won't happen very often):

"Drawing It Up" (yeah, kinda vague)

to

"Drawing It Up for Women's World Cup"

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. When I'm reading the blog instead of doing the work that my employer pays me to do, then I would like to be efficient and go directly to the stories that interest me.

How about if you e-mail those stories to me? that way, I read what I;m interested in and my boss thinks I'm reading work-related e-mail.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I really don't want to come off as being sexist, but honestly how many people out there care about women's soccer? There are more important things going on in the world of footbal, then worrying about the Woman's World Cup draw. Tonight's matchup with Columbus vs. New England should be entertaining. Will Sharlie Jospeh play or will he continue to sit out? We have FA Cup finals coming up. So much stuff going on in the world of football, that you can't really pay attention to woman's football. Sorry ladies.

Posted by: DC United Fan | April 19, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

A BS poster in China reported that the pots for the draw have been determined. As expected, the USA and Norway are seeded. The pots are:

Pot A: USA,Germany,Norway,China
Pot B: Sweden,N.Korea,Denmark,Brazil
Pot C: Japan,Canada,England,Australia
Pot D: Nigeria,Argentina,Ghana,New Zealand

If this is accurate, they're using FIFA rankings to determine the pots (except for the host nation). This is quite a change from 2003, where the pots were done mostly by confederation like in most WC's. The one-team-per-confederation-per-group, except for UEFA, still applies.

Posted by: Ash | April 19, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

DC United Fan:

We offer a variety of subjects here at the Insider. (An early-season NE-Columbus preview will never be one of them.) Pick and choose what you would like to read. Skip the material you're not interested in. We're just trying to broaden our appeal a bit.

SG

Posted by: Goff | April 19, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

geez, if you don't like the subject material, you don't have to read it. man, buncha nitpickers.

for the record, i love women's soccer. keep it up, goff!

Posted by: fever | April 19, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I really dont want to be a self-righteous buggerhead, but how many people get sick of folks who think what they like is better or more important than what someone else likes? (Hmmm, not sure that worked...) If you don't like women's soccer then don't read the stupid article. Im so tired of folks who want to impose their view of the world on everyone else.

Anyway, thanks for posting info on the women's draw. Any idea if the matches are going to be shown live? What's the time difference in China, anyway? Is this going to a get-up-at-3am kinda thing like the South Korean WC?

Posted by: Hacksaw | April 19, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cat | April 19, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"how many people out there care about women's soccer?"

I do.

I will have two fillings.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 19, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I have DC United season tickets AND (had) Freedom season tickets. Many Freedom games were of better quality futbol than those of DC United. If you like futbol, then you cannot ignore the women. If you do so, you will miss more than half the fun.

Posted by: Laszlo in DC | April 19, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Watching Women's Soccer is the equivlent of watching darts, you don't see any blogs about darts do you? My point is if there are only 10 people in the world who care about women's soccer, it should not be bloged about. Too insignificant of a subject to blog about, when there are real futbol matters to discuss

Posted by: DC United Fan | April 19, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

DCUnitedFan,

If there are so many critical 'futbol' matters to discuss, why are you wasting your incredibly precious time whining about what you don't want to talk about? How intelligent is that? Just move on and let the rest of us discuss something we're interested in.

Oh, and for your reference, here's just one of many darts blogs:

Posted by: Ash | April 19, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

"it should not be blogged about"

Yes, sir! If you say so.

I will halt my women's soc blogging immediately.

(sigh)

Posted by: Goff | April 19, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Its a beautiful game, whether played by men or women!

Thanks for ALL the coverage Steve!

Posted by: crowbar | April 19, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Goff definitely has his priorities straight. WWC beats NE vs. Columbus any time. Thanks for the great blog.

Posted by: Falls Church | April 19, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"Too insignificant of a subject to blog about"???

You must be new to this "Internet" thing.

Posted by: Ferg | April 19, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

I greatly appreciate your coverage of the WWC and any women's soccer information in general. Keep it up!

Posted by: Kristina | April 19, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I like girls better than guys.

I like futbol, too.

Posted by: JkR | April 19, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Please keep up the coverage of womens soccer. Its always difficult to find information on it.

Posted by: m | April 19, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

"The games will be on at 5pm and 8pm in China which will be 5am and 8am here. Not SO bad. I assume US games will be broadcast live but maybe not the others, at least until knockout rounds."

I wonder whether Summers in Arlington will consider adjusting its hours of operation accordingly, the way it did in 2002.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | April 19, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Go Penn State. I see now that I will have to adjust my telecommute schedule.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 20, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Goff--thanks. I design social networking sites for a living, and I know from experience that these things fall apart when the subject becomes blurry. It's best to categorize, and let people decide what they want to read.

If it isn't DCU, MLS, or an occasional international bit, I don't care enough to read about it every day.

AT the same time, I'm not advocating that women's soccer shouldn't get just as much "ink." FAr from it--it's a great game, just not what I care about day to day.

As a result, I want to know the subject of the article (through a tag or a headline) so I know what to read and what not to. It's pretty common practice--just look at the Sports Bog.

Obviously, I'm just a sample size of one...

Posted by: jj | April 20, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse